• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

barrett M98B break in ?

Regret

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
kauai island hawaii
Ok I Jus picked up a 98B and the manual says just don't over heat the barrel this is my first high end rifle and I really want to make sure I do this right if there is even a break in at all what do you all recommend? Ps I'm still a newbie .

Re: barrett M98B break in ?

That rifle can take anything you can afford to throw at it. Just shoot it and have fun.

I don't believe there is a break in for a .50. They aren't meant for supreme accuracy or high round count. They are designed for minute of big ass engine block, and anti-material. I wouldn't worry about it, and just go out and have fun with it.

Not a big fan if barrel break in but I would think they would want you to clean the barrel after each round for the first 20 rounds. Did it with my M96 what a pain.

Haha oops, shows my knowledge of Barrett model numbers
smile.gif

I would just shoot it. Heat kills any tube. The cooler you keep it the longer it should last. I almost ever fire more than five shots at any one time with my 338LM. Most of the time it is two or three. Then I move and that gives the tube plenty of time to cool down.

Ps I bought it from shooters in jacksonville and had the scope "professionaly mounted " Haha what a joke I sent ten rounds down range and the scope came off on the 11 shot yet still held a 4 inch group with hornaday hpbt at 800 yards FN awesome beast !!!!!!!!

LOL I've run 2 different scopes/mounts on my 98b. I bought mine there too.
It is a great rifle -- I just loaded it up and went to town!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Regret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ps I bought it from shooters in jacksonville and had the scope "professionaly mounted " Haha what a joke I sent ten rounds down range and the scope came off on the 11 shot yet still held a 4 inch group with hornaday hpbt at 800 yards FN awesome beast !!!!!!!! </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Regret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ps I bought it from shooters in jacksonville and had the scope "professionaly mounted " Haha what a joke I sent ten rounds down range and the scope came off on the 11 shot yet still held a 4 inch group with hornaday hpbt at 800 yards FN awesome beast !!!!!!!!</div></div>

Reminds me of a story my brother told me. He was shooting handgun at a local range on the first day of deer season and a deer hunter came over and asked if he could check his zero. My brother told him sure and the guy setup paper and started shooting. He fired three or four shots then stopped and my brother looked over and he was holding his scope. He said his screws are gone.

Lol I check all my screws and nuts before every trip. I did not for the longest time and I had a scope ring come loose. Now I check and has not happened in years.

Were near Jacksonville do you go to shoot that at? I could never find anywhere to shoot my 300 winmag at other than gateway and I let my membership expire as I got tired of driving across town to get yelled at for shooting a bolt gun to fast.

My family has 56 acres in st Augustine across from the airport and that's where we shoot we have a back hoe and constantly rebuild the target backings I'm currently in Kauai AD navy and won't be back for some time but we are going to start giving long range lessons after I finish my tour here if u would like to come shoot lemme know ill hit anyone up who would like to as soon as I get back.