• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bedding idea - good idea or bad?

Charlie Papa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2005
Rural TN
Please forgive me if this has already been thought of, but I didn't find anything in a brief search. I have an idea for bedding a new action into a stock, and thought I'd see if anyone can think of a reason not to do it.

I'm getting a new action, which will come with a pinned recoil lug, and I thought I might try to find an old barrel, cut off three or four inches of the breech end, snug it up tight with the recoil lug, and bed it into the stock without having the weight of the new barrel potentially inducing any stress into the bedding. The old barrel should hold the pinned recoil lug firmly in place and allow for the usual method of achieving the clearance between the new barrel and the inch or so of bedding "pad" usually seen in front of the lug.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone want to cut off the breech end of an old, shot-out, Remington-threaded barrel to test this out?

Thanks for any input. - CP

Re: Bedding idea - good idea or bad?

I would think it would be a bad idea. It doesn't take much to mount the action at an angle to the point where when you do put the barrel it it could hit the side of the barrel channel.

If you support the barrel properly...wnroscoe has a great thread on this tacked at the top....I dont see how you can induce any stress.

Just wrap tape on barrel where it will sit on stock forend. Wrap enough tape where it will float and center it the channel. When bedding action and barrel, tape 1 1/2 to 2" in front of action and at barrel end as mentioned above. Works very well for me and hopefully provide a stress free bedding. Got the info from accurateshooter.Hope this helps.

I have to admit, part of my motivation was to have the stock completely done by the time the barreled action comes back from chambering, but there's really no hurry.

Good points, I hadn't considered having the action slightly twisted. I've used the tape on the barrel method, works well, ain't broke, so I'm not going to try to fix it.