• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bell & Carlson Medalist/Pics Added

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I had a couple of rifles that needed stocks. These were "beaters" that I really didn't want to sink a small mortgage in. I got to looking at the B&C Medalists and checking out some of the feedback here on the Hide. For about $200, I could get a nice stock with an aluminum skeleton. If I did not like the product, I was not out a great deal and there seemed to be enough people that do like them, that I could move it on out.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered one of varmint/tactical stocks. These are patterned after the HTG and I was impressed when it arrived. Bedding block, nice spiderweb pattern, Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad... a lot to like there. I screwed in a 700 SA with a takeoff barrel and headed to the range. Bingo! .5" groups without bedding.

I liked the stock so well that I bought one for a sporter I put together for a friend's son and also got one for a Winchester .243 I just bought from Hide-member "DSkit". The Winchester is also the varmint/tactical model, but has a wider forend than the Remington. I am not sure I do not like it as well or a bit better. The Winchester has two sling studs up front and the Remington has only one.

Sorry, if I am ploughing old ground. I just thought I would give an opinion.

david

Some folks wanted pictures of the B & C stocks, so I put them alongside a McMillan HTG. The stock with the barreled action is the B & C A1 and the green stock with spiderwebbing is the B & C Winchester.
BC2.jpg

bc.jpg

Re: Bell & Carlson Medalist

Like mine! If they were available at the time I restocked my centerfeed Savage, I'd never bought the Choate UV stock. Had to remove quite a bit of material under the tang, but not hard to do, and expected accordiong to the dirrections. My front sling stud is off center a bit, so it may go back. Tell me, is your stock perfectly straight? Mine has a slight bend to it, maybe a 1/4" to the left as viewed from the shooter. B&C told me thats done on purpose for right hand shooters.

jd, I do not know about the off center issue, but I will check. It will be a day or so to get back with you. If I forget and you do not hear from me by Tue, send a reminder.

B&C make a very nice stock.

I have the Tac Medal A5 installed on a Rem 700 VTR in .223. VAST improvement over the stock that comes with that rifle.

Dropped right in with zero issues. Shoots under .5 all day long. Couldn't possibly be happier with it.
laugh.gif

A++ Stock for the price. I put one on my m700 .308 SPS Varmint and I love it. Great groups great feel, nice weight, bolts right in.....did I mention the price......My whole rifle was painted before the stock and now I think Ill leave it black and the barrel and scope painted because its almost a shame to paint. I put my swivel mount bipod on it but it shoots just as good off my range bag. I would recommend it to ANYONE ON A BUDGET.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of weeks ago, I ordered one of varmint/tactical stocks. These are patterned after the HTG and I was impressed when it arrived. Bedding block, nice spiderweb pattern, Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad... a lot to like there. I screwed in a 700 SA with a takeoff barrel and headed to the range. Bingo! .5" groups without bedding.
david</div></div>
I've been looking at B&C stocks for my new rifle. Can you post a pic of this stock? I'd like to see one with a barreled action in it.

I have a savage that I have debated back and forth over on getting the Medalist for. It's the B&C or Manners at this point. At least I think I remember that they to were inletting for a couple of different savage actions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of weeks ago, I ordered one of varmint/tactical stocks. These are patterned after the HTG and I was impressed when it arrived. Bedding block, nice spiderweb pattern, Pachmayer Decelerator recoil pad... a lot to like there. I screwed in a 700 SA with a takeoff barrel and headed to the range. Bingo! .5" groups without bedding.
david</div></div>
I've been looking at B&C stocks for my new rifle. Can you post a pic of this stock? I'd like to see one with a barreled action in it. </div></div>

I will get one up tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like mine! If they were available at the time I restocked my centerfeed Savage, I'd never bought the Choate UV stock. Had to remove quite a bit of material under the tang, but not hard to do, and expected accordiong to the dirrections. My front sling stud is off center a bit, so it may go back. Tell me, is your stock perfectly straight? Mine has a slight bend to it, maybe a 1/4" to the left as viewed from the shooter. B&C told me thats done on purpose for right hand shooters. </div></div>

JD, I cannot find any cant in my stock. I am not the most discerning person, though. I checked it last night several times, mounted to the shoulder and looking down on the barreled action in the stock. Nothing I could see or feel.

Thanks for looking. Its was only noticable upsidedown, without a barreled action.

Pic for the other fellow
001-1.jpg

I want an a2 stock but being left handed makes it kinda retarded =/

I bought one for a savage a few years back. I also didn't want to put a $500 stock on a $400 rifle. Had to work on the barrel channel and a little around the action and that funky barrel nut thing. Didn't find any cant issues.
The fit and finish on a cheeper product is just that.
On the same note I have seen two AICS and one McRees chassis require bedding to eliminate effects of tension. Thou we weren't using Rem actions.
At 300 yds my factory savage 223 varmint gun with two prior owners and a B&C (not bedded) stock shoots as good as my 6.5x47 surgeon w/ broughton barrel and AICS.
Past 300, not so much.

I always hoped for the medalist tactical/adjustable to be inlet for the savages but it dooesn't look as though that will happen

Darn, you guys can throw some paint. Good thing I like the basic black.

i am lookin at a bell carlson stock for my new savage 308 PC with the accustock...will the b&c stock fit this rifle (i dont care for the digicamo on the accustock and will be sellin it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for looking. Its was only noticable upsidedown, without a barreled action.

Pic for the other fellow
001-1.jpg
</div></div>

This is the exact model I will be getting for my sps when I can. I'm shooting the piss out of mine to get used to it now as is so I appreciate the upgrade when it happens. Nice looking stick there btw
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: piranhasniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am lookin at a bell carlson stock for my new savage 308 PC with the accustock...will the b&c stock fit this rifle (i dont care for the digicamo on the accustock and will be sellin it) </div></div>

the bad thing is that you paid for the accuracy that comes with that accustock. you could have bought a non accustock cheaper if you were just gonna re-stock. i dont think anyone has an aftermarket stock that will utilize savages accustock bedding design in the action, or if that action will fit in another stock. there is an extra screww in the action, but im not sure how that will come into play with a non-accustock stock

Are all of your replies about B&C stock actually about Medalist stocks or DuraMaxx stocks? I have had DuraMaxxs in the past and they did need a little material removed around the action to let the barrel settle in the center of the channel but the Medalist is a much cleaner laid up stock as well as much more substantial.

I like the Medalist, and yes I did need to do some sanding on the right side of the barrel channel. Great stock for the money.

I had and sold a Dura-max. Never cared for it. Very flexible.
I rate it about the same as the original Savage tupperware stock which I consider to be "packing material" for the barreled action.