• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli M3

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Any thoughts on whehter the pump/auto action of the M3 is worthwhile or if the M4 would be a better tactical shotgun? I know the pump option is made for low recoil rounds like less-than-lethal, but seems like a good backup mechanism as well? Then again...those before and after the m3 didn't include that option, so perhaps not a solid design? Down the road I'd love to start 3 gun comps, so currently reviewing options for a good tactical shotgun..

Re: Benelli M3

I have both, but haven't shot them. I think the M4 may be more reliable because of the gas operation.

I have the M3S90 Tactical and love it. The action is smooth and it runs like a raped ape with almost anything I feed it in Semi and when the occasional failure to cycle occurs, I find it much easier to clear than say an m1/m2 or Rem 1100 as it does not seem to need 3 hands. It runs clean and is easy to maintain. Biggest gripe is that the recoil pad on the folding stock is fairly non-existent. If you are looking for a dedicated haul ass "3-gun shotgun" then I would tell you to look elsewhere though. The m2 and m1 are better suited to it, as are the winchester SX2 and SX3 with faster lock times. As far as the m4 goes, I have shot a few and would take one over my m3 if I could find one with a full length tube and collapsible stock without having to mortgage my kidneys.

I have the M3 with pistol grip and I love it. It's smooth, fast and fun to shoot.I have shot the hell out of it and it just keeps going what ever I put through it. I have not shot the M4 so can't help there,

Love my M3 for a combo style fighting gun.

Can shoot gas only breaching rounds, CS/OC, flairs...light rounds and everything else.

Just need some extra training to get used to moving between actions... and off you go.

To the OP.

You said Tactical and 3Gun, so I can just address the 3 gun.

I have an M3 and like it very much. However, do not count on the pump mechanism as an avenue for jam clearance. In the rare event of a jam, you would be much better served by attacking the problem in the normal manner as opposed to farting around with the pump, so I do not see that as an advantage. Both a positive and negative of the M3 is it has added weight (vs the M1/M2) due to the pump mechanism, which help attenuate recoil, but ...... it is added weight. Also, a negative on the M3 is that it has a max of a 7 round tube, and for most 3 Gun you can load 8, so that is a disadvantage. If there is an aftermarket tube for the M3 I have not found it.

The M4 is a gas assisted shotgun, as it has the normal inertia driven mechanisam of a Benelli plus the gas to make sure it will cycle. However, I have shot a couple of M4's and would not recommend them over the M1/M2 for 3 Gun due to the added weight, and to me added perceived recoil, and the lack of aftermarket accessories such as extended tubes.

So, for three gun, all things being equal, if you are going out to get a new shotty, look for an M1/M2 with a 21 inch barrel. Its the shizzle.

Thoughts from here.

If you want to get a Benelli pump action, then supernova tactical would be my choice. Benelli is giving $50 rebate on this model now. It comes with ghost rings, pistol grip, chromed barrel. It has a button on bottom of pump action that allows you to cycle without chambering a round, if you want to change to different type of ammo in the middle. I have one for home protection and it works great.

+1 for the Benelli M2. Our team uses M1's and M2's for 3Gun and they run great. I saw a FN semi auto have hiccups at a match last weekend. Don't know what it was but it happened. Our Benelli's run like a sewing machine. You can blast as fast as you can aim a squeeze...

--KJ