• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Berger 168 Target VLD question

MontanaHick

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I've searched to no avail, so I'm asking you all:

The chamber on my DPMS SASS is 3.04" OAL to put the ogive on the lands, plus a few thousandths depending on how hard I'm pushing. I'm mag length limited to 2.845" (but probably won't exceed 2.840") and I'd like to seat Berger 168 Target VLDs. This is a minimum of 200 thousandths of an inch (0.200"). I have QuickLoad and I've been playing with barrel times for my barrel length and seating depth.

Is Berger's recommendation on jump as important as barrel time calculations? I'm confused and would like to not waste a bunch of time. If I can't seem to make anything work, I'll keep the box I've opened up and sell the rest, but I'd like to make them work.

Do you guys (and/or gals) have any wisdom to share on this? Thanks in advance!

I shoot the hunting 168 vld and I know every rifle is different but it won't shoot for shit unless jammed. But then again I shoot the 140 vlds out of my 6.5 creedmor and the more I jump em the better the dang things shoot. 120/1000"s jump. I don't know anything about quickload but you won't know until you pull the trigger.

I shoot Bergers almost exclusively and have had very good results without the bullets touching the lands. Both my 300 WM and 300 WSM will shoot sub .5 MOA when set back off the lands (sorry but I would have to review my notes on how far off the lands they are seated). This is for 155 VLD's in the WM and WSM and 185's in the 300 WM. In both cases COAL is limited by the magazine. Here is a link to an article on finding the "sweet spot" when loading VLD's

Berger Tips for Loading VLD Bullets « Daily Bulletin

I would recommend just shooting some and see how they perform. Frankly in a gas gun I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I would recommend just shooting some and see how they perform. Frankly in a gas gun I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I'd have to agree with that.

However, I was just talking to a 6.5x47 guy shooting VLDs, and his rig preferred them jumped .030... go figure. As stated previously, there are trends of course... but you just gotta try a few iterations and see what your rifle likes.