• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing BEST 308 round for hunting...

Re: BEST 308 round for hunting...

Not a .308 but I had very good luck with 165gr accubonds out of my .30-06. I took a deer last year at 150 went in perfect behind the shoulder vaporized heart and lungs then broke the opposite shoulder on exit with about a 1.5"-2" exit wound. Then had very similar results with a pig although I didn't gut him (just saved the backstraps) there had to have been alot of energy dispersed cause there was brusing up into the backstrap on the exit side at least 5" away.

168gr Berger VLD in 308. The particular loads I use are manufactured by HSM. Incredible amount of damage in the chest cavities of every deer I've killed with them for the past 2 years. Most of the lungs and heart tissue simply runs out of the deer when cleaning. They are dead where they stand. Very consistent in the amount of damage I've seen - looks like the round gets in there and explodes.

Only downside is that a time or two, I've not had an exit wound. But still not a problem because the deer went down where they stood.

Every year about this time this question is asked, or another one addresses it. You can read up on the best bullets for anything, just search it out. I would bet there is a thread discussing the exact bullet,rifle,game,ect. you intend on using.
Good luck on your hunt
wink.gif

It sure does depend on what you are hunting.
A shot that you know and where it will hit is the one to use.
To shoot cow elk in Colo. I use a Hornaday 165 BTSP Interlock with 41.5 grs. of 4895 with Win standard primer.
Works good out to 200m +. and if the shot is farther than that, I shouldn't take it.Zero is +2.5 at a hundred.
Regards, FM

The 165 Grain Accubond's group almost exactly the same as my SMK 175's at 300 yards.

i have had good reults with 168 A-MAXs. I dont think you can beat the VLDs though as i have heard numerous reports just like the fella above, they really tear em up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar</div></div>

This...

168gr dpx from corbon
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
155001.jpg

There....make you feel better?.....grin! </div></div>

That's F_ckin awsome Pat!!!! why didn't I think of that?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using????</div></div>

175 SMK.

To me, shot placement is the key. Most anything should work with a 308 on a deer if well placed.

Probably the only bullet that really will not work consistently that I personally witnessed is a Ballistic Tip. Saw three animals wounded in one weekend last year by a guy with <span style="color: #FF0000">25-06 using Ballistic Tips</span>. The one animal that was recovered apparently mushroomed on the surface and created a wound that looked like an ice cream scoop took a 1" deep chunk out of a neck. It stunned the animal for a moment, which allowed the hunter, not me, to finish it off. That convinced me those are not adequate for reliable results on deer and pigs. With a 308 with a bullet with more mass, even they might work though.

</div></div>

The 25 caliber Ballistic Tip is actually a varmint bullet, however the 30 cal version has a thicker jacket, and is marketed as a hunting bullet. I have found the 150 grain Ballistic Tip in a 308 to be the ideal whitetail round. I have never not had an exit wound, and it is usually very large.

If you want something that shoots like your match ammo, the 180 Gameking is essentially a 175 SMK with an exposed lead tip.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using????</div></div>

175 SMK.

To me, shot placement is the key. Most anything should work with a 308 on a deer if well placed.

Probably the only bullet that really will not work consistently that I personally witnessed is a Ballistic Tip. Saw three animals wounded in one weekend last year by a guy with <span style="color: #FF0000">25-06 using Ballistic Tips</span>. The one animal that was recovered apparently mushroomed on the surface and created a wound that looked like an ice cream scoop took a 1" deep chunk out of a neck. It stunned the animal for a moment, which allowed the hunter, not me, to finish it off. That convinced me those are not adequate for reliable results on deer and pigs. With a 308 with a bullet with more mass, even they might work though.

</div></div>

The 25 caliber Ballistic Tip is actually a varmint bullet, however the 30 cal version has a thicker jacket, and is marketed as a hunting bullet. I have found the 150 grain Ballistic Tip in a 308 to be the ideal whitetail round. I have never not had an exit wound, and it is usually very large.

If you want something that shoots like your match ammo, the 180 Gameking is essentially a 175 SMK with an exposed lead tip.

Mike </div></div>

Their 25 cal 85gr projectile is a varmint bullet while their 100gr & 115 gr bullets are labeled hunting bullets.

remington core lokts probly one of the cheapest hunting rounds available.
180gr .300wm nothing left in the chest cavity, heart and lungs mostly turn into soup
180gr .308win same damage

.308 - 168 winchester ballistic silver tip, mainly so I can recycle the nickel brass. And they are cheap and can be found at any lame sporting goods store.

300 weatherby mag 200 grain nosler partition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageGunner308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remington core lokts probly one of the cheapest hunting rounds available.
180gr .300wm nothing left in the chest cavity, heart and lungs mostly turn into soup
180gr .308win same damage</div></div>

Suprisingly accurate for the price and available at Wal Mart.

I can not believe that out of all those post no one has said the most effective bullet to shoot deer out of a 308 is the barnes tipped triple shock...

I like the 130gr or 168gr in the tipped triple shock.

Barnes bullets are very effective as well. I have used them with very good success but they can be a bit tricky to load.

I also use the 130 grain Barnes TTSX. I have had very good success huntin whitetail in KY an TN with this.

168gr AMAX is what i've been using for the last year and a half with good results.

Furthest we've shot it was 1100 yards from my 20" .308 with a half MOA group. Hand loading 45.0 gr varget equiv.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhinomax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using????</div></div>

175 SMK.

</div></div>

Mike </div></div>

Their 25 cal 85gr projectile is a varmint bullet while their 100gr & 115 gr bullets are labeled hunting bullets. </div></div>

I stand corrected. Its been a while since I've looked at the Nosler lineup. Though, the 150 at 308 velocities is still a great combination for whitetail.

I'm shooting 155 Amax's out of both my 18 bolt gun and 16" gas gun, as a relatively low velocity. I haven't shot a deer yet with this particular bullet, but it's proven itself on several hogs, one of which was in the 350# range.
I've used 178 Amax's on a bunch of deer and a few hogs, and found them to work well, too.
I've shot 'em with 175 matchkings, and they died as well.
CW

It depends on where you are hunting, but I'd definitely say you're better off using an expanding bullet...I know the whole Match bullet for hunting thing causes great controversy here on the hide, but I for one am a convert who has seen the light.

I was hunting does with 175 SMKs in West TX, and the rounds were just burning straight through them...like a hot knife in butter. Had two struck clean through the heart that still ran over 200 yds. They bolted into thick growth and made for some difficult recoveries. Yes, good shot placement meant both died...but, the lack of trauma allowed both to run quite some distance. So I switched to Federal ammo w/ SGKs a buddy brought for the rest of the trip, and didn't have one go further than 10 yds. Shot placement is key, but with SGK ballistics and performance almost as good as SMKs in my gun it makes the decision simple for me.

My rem 700 sps and me love the 168gr hornady a-max, the 8 pt last year did not... he dropped in his tracks with a shoulder shot, never kicked.

Assumption: "Typical North American game, predators, and varmits".

If you are asking about readily available factory ammo, Federal Premium (P308C) is tough to beat for hunting. This round is loaded with 165gr Sierra GameKing BTSP. Accuracy is quite acceptable - about .1 MOA over FGMM 168.

Kevin

I've had SSTs, SMKs, and Nosler BTs fail me out of a .308. I've had both BTs and SSTs just complete fragment and under-penetrate creating an superficial wound. I've also had them turn critters to jelly. I've had SMKs completely pass through leaving a dime size hole in and out. My best luck has been with Accubonds and Berger VLDs. I've had mediocre results with the Partitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra Gamekings...165gr BTSP - Hands down. </div></div>

^^^ This ^^^

Costs ~$23 per 100 from Midway, makes dead deer, and shoots sub MOA at 200 yds loaded over Varget in Lake City Brass from my stock barreled Remy Varmint 308.

Thanks guys.....

Love hearing everyones thoughts. I have killed sev. animals with lots of dif. 308 loads and am always looking to find more. Been in the stand with my bow as of late. Still have some time before I can take a boom stick.

Good luck this year.....

Rhino

By the way... I hunt deer and hogs with m 308's.

I use the 175 match kings because that is all I load for my 308. I got an antelope at 826 yards last week. It was great fun, danced around for 10 seconds and dropped. My father in law used a 168 barnes in his 300 win mag, i dont see any 30 caliber bullet beating it. We recovered the barnes while skinning the lope and it was a picture perfect mushroom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shanksalot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the 175 match kings because that is all I load for my 308. I got an antelope at 826 yards last week. It was great fun, danced around for 10 seconds and dropped. My father in law used a 168 barnes in his 300 win mag, i dont see any 30 caliber bullet beating it. We recovered the barnes while skinning the lope and it was a picture perfect mushroom. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 20pt">WHAT!!!!</span>

You mean the worlds greatest bullet didn't pass through? Man you are lucky you recovered that animal, I've heard that if it doesn't pass through they wont die.
laugh.gif

But in all seriousness, glad they both worked for you. I too use only the 175 SMK in my .308, it's never let me down.(3 lopes,3 deer,2 elk) Not to sound like a broken record but, whatever you shoot best is the one to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">168gr AMAX is what i've been using for the last year and a half with good results.

Furthest we've shot it was 1100 yards from my 20" .308 with a half MOA group. Hand loading 45.0 gr varget equiv.

</div></div>

This is the kind of info I like to hear.

What ranges are you guys shooting your 308's at deer? I'll have the potential out to possibly 800 yards. Hitting them isn't the issue, it's finding a bullet that will expand enough.

So A-max...what I shoot, what else?