• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best 6mm cartridge*

How do you like the MPA? They seem to have a pretty good following. I’ve owned elements, ax pre14, axmc and a couple other chassis but not the MPA. Looking at picking up a bravo but intrigued by the MPAs as well.

I’ve owned several chassis and hated them all...that said I hated the MPA the least of them all...i don’t like the metal feel and recoil of a chassis...I shot the MPAs for 3ish years and Highly recommended them but am happy to be back in a stock.

No worries Diver. We usually agree so I figured a wire got crossed somewhere.

Just to clarify, Im not saying get a 6cm and download it, I'm saying if you were already set up on 6cm downloading it is easier and more economical than retooling for a whole new caliber.

BTW Vu from Norcal just added our clubs to the Norcal forum.

I still have to fill in our 2020 match schedule. But it’s great because we’ll have Norcal-SacValley,Tehama, Arizona (Regina’s), NorNev and Avenal in one place -

we have the PRS Sharp Shooter Pro Bolt Series Match next month with lots of spots open.

My Favorite, 1 day, UKD Team Match in November 2020 is already full. I guys I could always add a stage and sneak a few more in.. :)

Have some Hide guys coming love to see more. Get on the waiting list, I’ll see what I can do.

I will make it to at least one of you guys matches this year...work has been a MoFo the last couple years.

No worries Diver. We usually agree so I figured a wire got crossed somewhere.

Just to clarify, Im not saying get a 6cm and download it, I'm saying if you were already set up on 6cm downloading it is easier and more economical than retooling for a whole new caliber.

Well, I am a dumb ass, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it :)

• Haha
Reactions: LawnMM
If anyone wants me to tune their mags for el Tigre joto, feel free to mail them.

(I prefer aw mags, so don’t send me anything else)

Reactions: Diver160651
All this talk of low SDs had me go into my backyard and shoot some arrows..

My ES is about 2FPS lol

636A98F5-2E3D-474F-809A-EACE91C57642.jpeg

at 20 yards

but third RH in 2 weeks
A5F2D7DA-016D-4FBB-9AF7-D6D439C22483.jpeg

expensive- back to the bow. Anyway sorry for the distraction — But thought it was kind of funny

edited to add the group was cherry picked- of course

Last edited:
AI mags with primal rights kits and some mag lip tuning works really well. I also polish up the inside of the mag lips with some light grit sandpaper to make them feed a little nicer.

I've since swapped to the MDT 6BR mags, but haven't run them enough to confirm their reliability. They seem promising though.

I've got three of the kits sitting in my closet because the MDT mags came out right after I ordered them. I've got about 1k rounds through them so far and have never had a misfeed (Deviant action). The only issue I have with them is that they're billed as 12-round, but getting more than 10 in is tough.

Reactions: kthomas
I've got three of the kits sitting in my closet because the MDT mags came out right after I ordered them. I've got about 1k rounds through them so far and have never had a misfeed (Deviant action). The only issue I have with them is that they're billed as 12-round, but getting more than 10 in is tough.

I've also noticed that the springs come very stiff with those mags.

Nope there is no issue running 115s in a .243. Did it for years in AICS mags.
David Tubb went through the entire evolution of 308, down to 6.5mm, then to 243, and on to inventing his own 6mm cartridge before anyone else even realized that the 308 sucks (gasp! I said it!) He was 10+ years ahead of everyone, and I couldn't help but laugh as everyone acted as though the 6 Creed somehow reinvented the wheel. The only reason the 6 Creed is more popular is Hornady threw their weight behind it. Stand those two cartridges next to each other and I bet 90% of people couldn't tell the difference.

Tubb only seems over-complicated because he's 10 years ahead of us.

The 6xc was developed before AICS mags. Or at least before they were popular. It was designed for use in the Tubb2000 rifle utilizing the SR25 magazines. It was designed for NRA across the course shooting where it still dominates, but has entirely different requirements than PRS.

6xc is a pretty easy, no fuss option that has gotten even easier. Tubb has made it pretty much one stop shopping using his most recent reamer spec and Petersen brass ($.70 ea. from SSS). It does everything the BR based cartridges will do without breaking a sweat and can run faster if you want to pay the barrel life penalty.

Reactions: atombomb
It was probably pretty close as we started using AICS mags in matches in 2004 but my post was to a specific question on the .243 and nothing to do with the 6xc.

It was probably pretty close as we started using AICS mags in matches in 2004 but my post was to a specific question on the .243 and nothing to do with the 6xc.

My point was that that the .243 was too long for the SR25 mags, which were the only detachable, .308 based box magazines at the time (excluding M14 mags). This is a big reason for the development of the 6xc. I could be wrong, but I think expected barrel life was also a concern.

There’s still nothing wrong with the .243. John Whidden kicks a lot of ass with one.

Reactions: 47guy
My point was that that the .243 was too long for the SR25 mags, which were the only detachable, .308 based box magazines at the time (excluding M14 mags). This is a big reason for the development of the 6xc. I could be wrong, but I think expected barrel life was also a concern.

There’s still nothing wrong with the .243. John Whidden kicks a lot of ass with one.

This makes a lot of sense. I was sure I remembered that it was driven a lot by mag length, but I didn't consider that it wasn't AI mags in question.

What was that time frame? What year was 6XC developed?

That's goodness alright!

Why I didn't take a pic of my best 3 shot group ever, done just a month ago with my 6mmBR, is beyond me??? It was the same hole in the low .0's. I've had many 3 shots touching groups but not one that small!

The little BR based cartridges can produce some amazingly small groups.

This is 5 from my 6BRA at 100 yards with fire-forming loads:

qXkCUmL.jpg

1568236753854.jpg

You BR guys and your groups, never been asked to shoot a group in a single match, ever ?

Here's 5 rounds from a lowly 6x47L while zeroing. One shot, adjust, four more.

I've got a sub .25" cloverleaf target in the closet somewhere from my first 6x47L barrel after I did load development.

1576714441454.png

Here's a 3rd group at 1040yds, first three of the day after hanging and painting, wasn't even shooting a group I was checking the accuracy of the drag profile at distance.

Then we did a bunch of practice and shot it up from different distances and positions.

We don't shoot groups competitively fellas. I know we all like to use it as a metric to make sure our load is good but jeez, all I see BR guys talk about is their group size.

At least I heard some CO guys talking about the Dasher saying they were aiming at and hitting the bolt heads on steel.

Seems like all the BR guys have to brag about is group size ??‍♂️

Reactions: blbennett1288
I had to shoot groups at matches before. Here is one with a .243. 5 shots 100 yards under time. If I recall 60 seconds. Again it's just ok.

P2240123.jpg

View attachment 7245398
You BR guys and your groups, never been asked to shoot a group in a single match, ever ?

I've got a sub .25" cloverleaf target in the closet somewhere from my first 6x47L barrel after I did load development.

View attachment 7245400
Here's a 3rd group at 1040yds, first three of the day after hanging and painting, wasn't even shooting a group I was checking the accuracy of the drag profile at distance.

Then we did a bunch of practice and shot it up from different distances and positions.

We don't shoot groups competitively fellas. I know we all like to use it as a metric to make sure our load is good but jeez, all I see BR guys talk about is their group size.

At least I heard some CO guys talking about the Dasher saying they were aiming at and hitting the bolt heads on steel.

How else are we going to know who has the smallest penis size ?‍♂️

Never had to shoot a group in a match, but I’ve definitely had to shoot small dots on paper.

Last year at the brawl was off barrels on paper.

So, I’d rather have a .2 or .3 load than a .75. Not that I wouldn’t shoot a match if my current load is .5 (pretty standard nowadays).

Reactions: kthomas
What was that time frame? What year was 6XC developed?

Rob,
I can’t say for sure what year the 6xc was developed, but here are a couple screenshots of an old article on 6mmBR.com. There’s no date, but I’m pretty sure it coincided with the introduction of the rifle in 2000.

Also here is a link to a 2001 article by Zediker and Tubb about T2k concepts. In it Tubb discusses why he used some things he liked about the SR25 in the T2k’s.

One nice thing about the T2k’s is you can run 20 rd SR25 mags. ? Screw those unlimited round count stages.

Attachments

• 5269EF61-7F2E-4D8E-9A49-C81D77C42B63.png
    5269EF61-7F2E-4D8E-9A49-C81D77C42B63.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 2E4C2679-BD9E-4047-B88D-F50EA9D490FD.png
    2E4C2679-BD9E-4047-B88D-F50EA9D490FD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Rob,
I can’t say for sure what year the 6xc was developed, but here are a couple screenshots of an old article on 6mmBR.com. There’s no date, but I’m pretty sure it coincided with the introduction of the rifle in 2000.

Also here is a link to a 2001 article by Zediker and Tubb about T2k concepts. In it Tubb discusses why he used some things he liked about the SR25 in the T2k’s.

One nice thing about the T2k’s is you can run 20 rd SR25 mags. ? Screw those unlimited round count stages.

Thanks. Was just wondering as AICS mags came out in 2002 and the AWs were out since the early 90s. Just wondering if he used the SR25 as they were easier to work with.

Reactions: DaveM
Loaded up 10 in the mag, here's 9 hits with very small vertical at 1000Y, shot with my 6mmBR, that I was referring to in a previous post in this thread.

The larger splat is 5 shots, I think??, that's what the guys spotting said, these were rattled off fairly quickly. One of which glanced off top left edge on the hole in the steel.

It was a bit windy so thus the spread and a correction to the middle of the steel.

Dope was right on the money which was cool to see.

Darn, one of the 10 went high!

DSC00167.JPG

Reactions: Kbh and kthomas
View attachment 7245485
Here’s a nice one shot group...it opened up a little but I was pretty happy with it.

I going to mess this up but someone asked about groups during a match ~ 47 feel free to correct the facts..

I was in 47Guys squad. I do not remember if we were shooting off his super cool rotating tires, barrels or whatever, but fairly certain it was some funky PRS-ish support.. Wind came with a bit of mirage. He was stepping thru the stage targets to the last target, I think it was 750 probably longer, for 3 last shots with his new at the time 6bra. I was using my spotter and he put the 3 shoots into the bolt in the center of the target. It would have been an impressive group for perfect conditions during a no pressure practice.. but it was under the clock.

FYI - Spoiler Alert/ We will have a stage at out Team Match that will one of the targets on paper and team group size will be used as the Tie Breaker if we need one. That said, we'll also have some stages that will not favor a slow tiny cartridge. I am striving to have rewards on both sides in caliber choice. There will be some fun stages..

Last edited:
View attachment 7245398

View attachment 7245400

You know there are several other comp types that aren't prs/nrl style, yea ?

PS, they also get to brag about easy load development, long bbl life, low recoil, cost of components, etc.

Reactions: Boltyboi
@LawnMM > Maybe when you switch to a big boy cartridge instead of the girly man BR you'll be able to keep up ? ? ? <

My Avatar was from 285s in one of my 338s - but it was load dev on a bipod -- not a match of course.. But.. I guess the 338 is kinda the little and light 6BR of ELR now

View attachment 7245539

True story! My 338 looks like a pea shooter next to the 375s and 416s they're using these days. ?

I going to mess this up but someone asked about groups during a match ~ 47 feel free to correct the facts..

I was in 47Guys squad. I do not remember if we were shooting off his super cool rotating tires, barrels or whatever, but fairly certain it was some funky PRS-ish support.. Wind came with a bit of mirage. He was stepping thru the stage targets to the last target, I think it was 750 probably longer, for 3 last shots with his new at the time 6bra. I was using my spotter and he put the 3 shoots into the bolt in the center of the target. It would have been an impressive group for perfect conditions during a no pressure practice.. but it was under the clock.

FYI - Spoiler Alert/ We will have a stage at out Team Match that will one of the targets on paper and team group size will be used as the Tie Breaker if we need one. That said, we'll also have some stages that will not favor a slow tiny cartridge. I am striving to have rewards on both sides in caliber choice. There will be some fun stages..

standing leaning over a bench..hand only for rear support..Straight 6BR 108 Berger’s at 2850ish..850yd coyote...
.6mil left hold...1.5” group.