• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Muzzle Brake for the money

47 replies and no one has referenced the best test done?

it’s a few years old but the data is excellent. That being said. APA are, in my opinion, the best. I’ve tried just about everything and don’t even bother with others now.
Cause the vast majority of brakes mentioned and commonly used didn't even exist as concepts when this test was done let alone real product

Yup. Love mine and mentioned it earlier as well. They look so damn good too!!
IMG_8062.JPG

Reactions: tydex21
If your formula to figure out "best brake for the money" is (cost)/(recoil reduction), then I'm pretty sure these cheapo Chinese brakes off eBay win. The most advanced muzzle brake in the world probably doesn't even gain 10% recoil reduction over one of these. Not saying this is what I would buy, but it certainly is "the best brake for the money" if you use the formula above.

Reactions: stilesg57
If your formula to figure out "best brake for the money" is (cost)/(recoil reduction), then I'm pretty sure these cheapo Chinese brakes off eBay win. The most advanced muzzle brake in the world probably doesn't even gain 10% recoil reduction over one of these. Not saying this is what I would buy, but it certainly is "the best brake for the money" if you use the formula above.

I was thinking the same when I read the title lol. Neighbor has one on his Ruger Scout 308 and he said night and day difference.

Low cost, quality, made in USA Ross muzzlebrakes .Are they the best at everything ? No but pretty darn goodall around brake.

Reactions: Mordamer
I use a Lil'B that has been blended to match my rifle contour. My next brake will be self timing so I can clean it a little better. After the next match it will have about 1000 rounds through it...and not too dirty...but I'd like to really get in there and clean it up good.

lilbbrake.jpg.png

I like the PVA jet blast, it’s just seems to work but I also run the APA little bastard and area419 hellfire.

Yeah, until that crooked threaded SOB gets blown off the barrel lol. J/k man, maybe they’re awesome. I don’t think I have the balls to try one out lol.

Yeah, until that crooked threaded SOB gets blown off the barrel lol. J/k man, maybe they’re awesome. I don’t think I have the balls to try one out lol.
I have installed quite a few. They work as good as any brake with flat baffles. I haven't seen crooked threads on one, but I would definitely recommend checking as I believe that's a possibility. I imagine these are machined in a single operation on a mill-turn machine so they probably have a good chance of being straight.

Reactions: tydex21
It's not the latest/greatest, but the gen 1 PWS PRC brake worked really well on my .308 Ruger. Recoil reduction is probably just mid-pack against the competition these days, but that's more than adequate for a .308 anyway. What I really like is that it's designed to minimize kicking up debris when shooting prone. I tried a Ruger brake and it stirred up a ton of dirt and grass - no bueno. I think the gen 1 PWS has been discontinued, but it looks like you can still get one at a good discount here: Titan Ballistics

Here's a brief promotional video about it -

47 replies and no one has referenced the best test done?

it’s a few years old but the data is excellent. That being said. APA are, in my opinion, the best. I’ve tried just about everything and don’t even bother with others now.

Yep, may be dated but it led me to a Little Bastard so I can’t be upset.

Would love to see how a couple of the newer designs perform in the same testing regimen.

Reactions: CANESFAN
Insite Arms Heathen.

I've owned Area 419 and APA self timing brakes, and while they perform well at mitigating recoil, in my opinion the Heathen is a more refined option over those two. I've never tried the PVA brakes, but I would like to one day.

The radiusing of the ports (the Area 419 are as sharp as cheese graters), the angle of the first port to be 90*/perpendicular to the shooter to direct blast away (both A419 and APA direct blast back to the shooters), The knurling of the locking collar, the ability to change out the end caps to suit different calibers, etc. are all refinements the Insite Arms Heathen has over it's peers.

I'm using all PVA brakes now...carbine and rifle. Check the 300WM muzzle brake video.

For what it is worth, I ordered a Harrell's Precision earlier this week. Definitely some of the best customer service and shipping times of any vendor I've used before.