• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best place to turning spent cases into dies....

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
Who's the best bet for turning a spent case into a reloading die and what kind of cost are associated with it? Not really sure where the best place to look for this is. Did a little searching, but didn't came up with too many "custom dies" that don't seem to be really custom results.

Re: Best place to turning spent cases into dies....

If I'm not mis-understanding you, you want to take a spent case and have someone make a reloading die to match.

If thats the case, call RCBS, they do it for not much more then the cost of a standard reloading die.

Would it be easier to get a die cut with the same reamer that you would use on a custom barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I'm not mis-understanding you, you want to take a spent case and have someone make a reloading die to match.

If thats the case, call RCBS, they do it for not much more then the cost of a standard reloading die. </div></div>

This is what I was wanting. I couldn't remember which major manufactor it was that did it.

Hornady will make you a custom die. Send them 3-4 fired cases and a reamer print.

forster will custom hone the neck, which works very well.

I have researched this already, I decided that I need my own reamer first, that way every barrel will have the same chamber, then Neil Jones will make me a set of custom dies, I want his micro dies, using a arbor press is awsome compared to big heavy cast iron presses, and his micro dies will bump the shoulder.

The same reamer will not guarentee an exact duplicate chamber if the person reaming the chamber isnt careful to get the same depth from each chamber.
Also if you are going to the time and expense of having a reamer ground it may be wise to consider a tight necked reamer and learn to turn necks, it makes for a lot more reloads out of a case and certainly does not harn accuracy at all.