Best suppressor option for PRS

Z06pilot

Online Training Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Online Training Access
Jul 30, 2017
Currently I am running a area 419 brake on my 6gt. It works great and I love it, but just in the last season of shooting I can tell that I have lost some hearing, my tinitus is worse, and I often have a bad headache the day after a match.

So, I have a sico omega which I could run on the 419 adapter with the anchor brake, or flat endcap, or I could buy a tbac, or a 419 maverick. What is my best option? Would I be gaining much over my omega with a different can?

Long Range 338

Professional Ammo Waster
Belligerents
Minuteman
Online Training Access
Jul 10, 2012
Out West
TBAC is gonna be the most recommended in this forum, they are lightweight and sound great. You'll have to pick the features that make the biggest difference for you but if trying to save your ears is the main goal and PRS use is the main purpose TBAC is a great fit.

22-Dasher

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Midwest
TBAC Dominus would be my choice. Fantastic DB reduction for its short length.

just browsing

just enough to be dangerous
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NEPA
    I have an Omega, a Maverick (which I’ve shot a ton), and a 338 Ultra, and the Maverick is by far the most optimized for PRS.

That’s not to say you can’t be competitive with a SiCo, TBAC, etc. but if you’re starting from the ground floor, and you’re looking specifically for use in PRS, go with the 419. You won’t regret it.

Longbow06

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 15, 2010
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    The Omega is a good can. I would run the Omega on an Area 419 adapter and see how you like it. Later, when you want more cans you can look at TBAC. They do make an excellent can.

Reactions: CarbonMTN

samb300

Accuracy Obsession, Anarchy Outdoors
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    You have a SiCo Omega already, which is a great suppressor.

Easy button: buy the 419 adapter and shoot a match with the Omega to see how you like the recoil impulse compared to the brake, and if it cures your headache woes.

Next step: if you’re liking how the Omega shoots and sounds, and you want to spend the money, consider a TBAC Ultra 7 or DOMINUS. Both are offered in the CB brake variant that will work with the 419 system. But I don’t think there’s enough difference in performance between the Omega and Ultra to warrant buying the TBAC on a whim.

OR: if the recoil impulse of the Omega isn’t good enough compared to the brake, and you’re willing to go louder, consider the Maverick. The 5.5” match setup is a net +1 dB, while the 6.5” setup is net -4dB. For reference the TBAC is something like -26dB.

Disclaimer: I own an Omega and a 6.5mm Ultra 7. I’m thinking about purchasing a Maverick specifically for muzzle rise (recoil) reduction at matches without the increase in sound and concussion of a brake.

Z06pilot

Online Training Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Jul 30, 2017
    You have a SiCo Omega already, which is a great suppressor.

Easy button: buy the 419 adapter and shoot a match with the Omega to see how you like the recoil impulse compared to the brake, and if it cures your headache woes.

Next step: if you’re liking how the Omega shoots and sounds, and you want to spend the money, consider a TBAC Ultra 7 or DOMINUS. Both are offered in the CB brake variant that will work with the 419 system. But I don’t think there’s enough difference in performance between the Omega and Ultra to warrant buying the TBAC on a whim.

OR: if the recoil impulse of the Omega isn’t good enough compared to the brake, and you’re willing to go louder, consider the Maverick. The 5.5” match setup is a net +1 dB, while the 6.5” setup is net -4dB. For reference the TBAC is something like -26dB.

Disclaimer: I own an Omega and a 6.5mm Ultra 7. I’m thinking about purchasing a Maverick specifically for muzzle rise (recoil) reduction at matches without the increase in sound and concussion of a brake.
    I will try the sico that I already have and see how that goes. Knowing me I will probably end up with the maveric and the tbac and still not be able to decide...

pfl338

Luv2#Steel....
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    May 16, 2020
    Fort Worth TX
    I have a TBAC for my 338 LM that I also run 308 and 6.5CM through it, I have a meter for mil spec testing( I am a class 3 and build some suppressors and test them with the mil spec set up) and all the rounds are hearing safe through that one suppressor. Great Product IMO.

oniak

Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 5, 2013
    I have a 6.5 Ultra 7 and highly recommend any of the TBAC offerings. The Maverick seem promising, I'll have to look more into those.

Last edited:

Backspace

Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jun 29, 2012
    Florence, SC
    I have run TBAC 30P-1, Ultra 7, and ultra 338 for the last 5 years in PRS. The quietest and best recoil reduction is with the ultra 338. Thats all i run in competition now. The ultra 7 is super nice and compact but i like the 338 better for prs. I have not run the dominus yet but look forward to directly comparing the 2.

stello1001

Professional Newb
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    I've never shot suppressed before as I don't own suppressors. However, I already started the process and am going to be a proud owner of a TBAC Dominus. I decided to go with that one because if I remember correctly, the TBAC website shows 122 DB for a 20" 308. That is a lot of sound suppression. It even suppresses more the the Ultra 7. It also happens to be very light and fairly short.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16

canezach

House of Chingasos
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    I have the SiCo Omega and a SilencerTech. Both have been used for PRS and NRL matches with no complaints. I'm picking up a TBAC Ultra 7 as soon as my connection gets them back in stock in a week or two

Last edited:

BigPrince

Sergeant of the Hide
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Jul 5, 2010
    GA,USA
    Omegas are great cans if you already have it run it
    Second this. You're in a great spot with the Area419 adapter already. Buy the 419 adapter for the Omega and run it. I run Hellfires on my rifles and when I want to run suppressed (most of the time) have adapters in my Dead Air, SiCo, and Tbac cans and just swap out the muzzle break(mainly acting as a thread protector / back up ability to shoot without suppressor if needed)

As for best... I want an Area419 Maverick. Didn't at first but another Tbac(dominus) and a Maverick are probably my next cans when bonus time comes. I wouldn't say any of my current cans are deficient or there is a burning need to buy more, other than more cans is always more better. I am looking forward to trying the TBAC 338 given the comments above. Turned in a certificate for one 9mo ago and waiting for it to be built by Tbac. Fingers crossed this month so I can get the NFA wait started and maybe have it by next summer.

WyCoShooter

Gun and Hunting Enthusiast
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Apr 17, 2019
    Wyoming - Colorado
    I have run TBAC 30P-1, Ultra 7, and ultra 338 for the last 5 years in PRS. The quietest and best recoil reduction is with the ultra 338. Thats all i run in competition now. The ultra 7 is super nice and compact but i like the 338 better for prs. I have not run the dominus yet but look forward to directly comparing the 2.
    The 338 is your go to comp suppressor? You haven't had any issues with the length and weight out front jamming your PRS gun into different shooting rests? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/opinions. I am not surprised I suppose that its the quietest and does the best with recoil, they are BIG cans.

Dusty Rhodes

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 7, 2020
    He has it on a 6.5 Cred 18 inch bolt gun. I have mine on a 16" Noveske 308 semiauto.
    Does it do just enough to take the bite out of the bolt gun? I've seen some YT vids with them on bolt guns but that isn't a good way to judge performance.

Ledzep

Chancellor
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    NE
    I've shot the Sandman K next to an Ultra 5. The Sandman K I would still very much recommend plugs or muffs unless it's .223/.300blk size cartridge. The Ultra 5, depending on caliber/barrel length does not bother me most of the time without ears. On a .300blk subsonic, it's hard to tell them apart. On a 16" .308, it's painfully loud with the Sandman K (still a "boom"), and barely tollerable with the Ultra 5. 24-26" 6.5's and it's still tipped in favor of the Ultra 5. IMHO if you're looking for "just enough to take the edge off", I think a guy would be happier with the Ultra 5.

As far as quiet goes, the Dead Air Nomad L is the quietest can I'v ever heard. I have a Dominus on order and I'm very curious to see how it stacks up next to the Nomad and Nomad L.