• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Best thermal under 10k

BigUn

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Chelsea OK
I’m currently using a pas-13c v2 medium for coyote eradication on my farm. While I’m relatively pleased with its overall performance, it lacks in the creature comforts department.

Cheek weld is non existent as it’s so high, and it really gives you a workout to hold that heavy sucker up while scanning, also had to mount a sico radius on the rail to range with which ads even more weight.

I need to get another thermal so I can take people with me and I don’t get snuck up on from behind any more.

So- here’s my stipulations
Has to be lighter or equal in weigh
Has to have at least equal performance.
A hud kit like some of the armasights come with would be awesome
A built in rangefinder would be a major plus.
No internal non replaceable batteries
Video out

Max budget is about 10k what is my dream thermal?

Assuming distances something like 50yds to 350yds ... and assuming a flatish flying cartrige ... then REAP comes to mind as it is smaller and lighter than the Mk3 60mm.

The REAP is a 35mm focal length with 2.5x on the front.
The Mk3 60mm is 60mm focal length with 4.5x on the front.

The dedicated thermal scope will give you more magnification on the front of the thermal and hence more resolution to your eyeballs than a thermal clipon will (for under $10k).

You can use the Radius with a dedicated thermal scope, but zeroing the LRF to the thermal reticle either requires 2 people or a bench rest.

Trade offs between the REAP and the Mk3 60

REAP is smaller lighter

Mk3 is better long distance scanner (more magnification on the front and hence more resolution at distance on 2x or 4x digital)

With REAP the joystick will be on the right side of the rifle. If you keep your right hand on the pistol grip, then your left hand will be reaching over the top for every change. You can get used to it.

With the Mk3 60 ... at 50yds or under ... the 7 degrees FOV becomes a big issue and things start to get fuzzy. On the other hand at longer distances, the REAP will give up resolution faster ... as you click through the digital magnification faster.

So big questions are:

What distances are you scanning?

What distances are you shooting?

Another advantage of a dedicated scope versus a clipon for "patrol" hunting is the weight is farther to the rear ... so easier to hold up ...

Here's my current patrol setup ...

jdpIxin.jpg

Patrol on the left side of the TH helmet (right side in the pic)
PVS-14 on right of helmet, with PAS-29 clipped on.

Mk3 60mm on 5.56(10.3)

This setup gives good scanning and PID capability with the patrol ... good navigation with the 14 and ability to engage quickly with the laser via the COTI/14 even in woods or thru tree lines.

And if more time I can flip out the helmet NODs and engage using the mk3 60 ... or just do some long distance scanning with the Mk3 60.

The Mk3 60mm is a great long distance scanner.

And with it on a shorter gun ... holding up is easier. Less weight out front. For ranging, I can use handheld LRF with the PVS-14. The 14 can see the ir-laser from the LRF and walk onto the target.

Now for "overwatch" style ... where you set up and wait for the critters to show up ... longer rifles and tripods work ... and then clipons work as well ... and with good enough clipons you can use your day reticles and hold ... and you can mount LRFs on them and zero the LRFs to your day reticles easily with a pvs-14 and one person.

6u3IAxPh.jpg

So depends on whether you are "patrol" hunting ... walking around looking for the critters ... or "overwatch" hunting ... setting up and calling/waiting.

Last edited:
Assuming distances something like 50yds to 350yds ... and assuming a flatish flying cartrige ... then REAP comes to mind as it is smaller and lighter than the Mk3 60mm.

The REAP is a 35mm focal length with 2.5x on the front.
The Mk3 60mm is 60mm focal length with 4.5x on the front.

The dedicated thermal scope will give you more magnification on the front of the thermal and hence more resolution to your eyeballs than a thermal clipon will (for under $10k).

You can use the Radius with a dedicated thermal scope, but zeroing the LRF to the thermal reticle either requires 2 people or a bench rest.

Trade offs between the REAP and the Mk3 60

REAP is smaller lighter

Mk3 is better long distance scanner (more magnification on the front and hence more resolution at distance on 2x or 4x digital)

With REAP the joystick will be on the right side of the rifle. If you keep your right hand on the pistol grip, then your left hand will be reaching over the top for every change. You can get used to it.

With the Mk3 60 ... at 50yds or under ... the 7 degrees FOV becomes a big issue and things start to get fuzzy. On the other hand at longer distances, the REAP will give up resolution faster ... as you click through the digital magnification faster.

So big questions are:

What distances are you scanning?

What distances are you shooting?

Very rarely am I inside 100yds.
Most spots I hunt I could do 1000yds if I could see em or hit em.
Freakin coyotes are so hard to see compared to other animals, especially in 60*+ weather, I guess because of their thick fur. In perfect conditions I can spot one about 700yds now, definitely don’t want to sacrifice any range.

... I could do 1000yds if I could see em or hit em ...

... I can spot one about 700yds now, definitely don’t want to sacrifice any range ...

... I won’t even consider a clip-on ...

Interesting ... as for that sort of use case ... I wouldn't consider anything BUT a clipon. If I am going long, I want to use my day reticles!

ILIVe0ah.jpg

6.5G(18) with L&S Mk6 3-18x Tremor-3 UTC-x ... off a tripod. After 700yds I'd rather be sitting with the tripod than standing ... and 123 ELD goes transonic at 740yds ... and subsonic at 980yds ... but with more gun ...
like .300WM(24) can stretch further ... though yotes are often not standing still, so yote shots beyond 500yds will be a challenge.

But yeah, for me, the only use case for thermal clipons is long distance ... for under 350yds I prefer dedicated scopes ... then the critter is the reticle and don't need the day scope reticle.

That blows my mind, I’m definitely not the thermal guru, but I have looked through a t70 and I though they were total crap. If there is a clip on that can spot a yote at 1k I think it’s probably WAYYYYYY out of my price range.

Reactions: deersniper
The UTC-x's are hard to get and even used ones probably over $10k ... if I was getting a long range thermal clipon today, I would get the T-75. Might be total crap but I believe it will get the job done and that's what matters to me. I call all my stuff "crap" - that way I don't have to remember which stuff is crap and which is not crap. It's all crap to me! :D
Users of T-75 have reported here that 8x to 10x magnification is usable on T-75 and that works for me.
The T-75s are available for $11,900, which is over $10k but not crazy over.
The T-75 image may not be up to OASYS core standards, but if I can hit the target, that's what matters to me.

Alternatively, if you are in open terrain, you can spot critters with a smaller thermal and engage with a PVS-30 and ir-illuminator on your rifle, out to 600+ if you get a good ir-illuminator. I have PVS-30 and ELIR-3.

If you want an upgrade from the currently available "refurb" PVS-30s ... you can consider a photonis tube version like this ... I drool over these every chance I get :)

https://www.modarmory.com/product/a...p-on-weapon-sight-4g-photonis-white-phosphor/

==

These are LOOOONG distances at night.

Last edited:
Oh and I keep forgetting ... but another option is SIMRAD/PVS-9 on the NV clipon front. Performance wise, similar to PVS-30. Those have been going for embarrassingly low prices around here lately.
And you could put the savings into decent thermal spotter!

Wow, it does look like a t75 has the potential to be great ( or at least better than a t70) for what I do, but I’ve never laid my hands on one. I’d have to rent one before I laid out that kind of coin.

As far as NV goes- I have a Pvs-7 for driving at night, not ideal but it gets it done

I will call and validate availability of T-75.

As to PVS-30 or PVS-9 ... those are different animals from PVS-7 ... they are long distance (high magnification) capable NV clipons ... exactly how much magnification can be a personal thing ... how much "fuzzy" can you tolerate" ... but 15x ball park ...

And that's true for T-75 and UTC/UTC-x as well ... at 15x on UTC-x I see the start of pixellation ... by 20x the pixellation is very visible ... but I still find it usable to hit targets.

I've made 800 yard kills on a 60 acre field that has a 1200 yard rifle range on it. Critter was stupid enough to stand in the range. Known distance, known zero's.
338 lapua, 3-12 s&b, pvs 27...
300 win mag, 4-16 s&b, pvs 27....

I've tried the same thing with a lot of other equipment. To include a bunch of hours on a t70 and less hours on a t75.

I can afford either..... I do not own them. I do own l3 lwts..... I've got 500 yard kills with them in front of two scopes, 1-4 And 2.5-10 nxs.... as well, with those scopes kills with the pvs27 at 500. 6.5-06 140 @ 2950...
As small as a coyote is, I consider myself beyond blind lucky to have killed at those distances. Kill ratio is probably 1 kill for 8-9 shots at those distances. Hit/wound ratio is probably 1 for 4.
My best coyote kills have been 400 and in with a 22-250. Put a reap or mk3 on a 22-250 and I think it's workable to 500.

At further distances on coyote, I just don't know, under real field conditions.

I defer to WIGWAMITUS on these matters, always....

Not to side track the thread but does anyone know where to find a video out cable for the LWTS. I've been looking for a while with no luck

Yea, the pin-outs on the LWTS is proprietary and they (L3) want an unGodly amount for their cable.

Also, officially the T-70 has been discontinued and the T-75 is undergoing some new changes and will be available again in the very near future. Maybe some older units are still out there but the OP mentioned "Under 10K" so I did not even list these in the equation.

Also the revised T-75's, PVS-22's and PVS-27's etc. will be available through FLIR's Government Channel Partners.

I did call FLIR today and the T-75s are still available direct from FLIR for $11,900. PM me if you want "how to" data.

Last edited:
Not to side track the thread but does anyone know where to find a video out cable for the LWTS. I've been looking for a while with no luck

Not sidetracking the thread at all, that’s my number one complaint about my mwts. If I could find a cable I’d be sooo happy.

Also- why has nobody mentioned the Armasight Zeus-Pro 640 4-32x100. I thought that was about right up my alley and was about to pull the trigger on one till wigwamitus came in and listed off 13 things I’d never heard of.

I did call FLIR today and the T-75s are still available direct from FLIR for $11,900. PM me if you want "how to" data.

That’s not out of the question but I’d definitely have to rent one before I spent that kind of coin on a thermal.

Also can the t-75 be setup to be light safe- as in- not readily detectable by eye or even NV. I just have a mental image of my eye 3.5” from the scope lit up like a Christmas tree

Also- is there any real advantage to a high end optic with a clip on? I’m not saying i want to use a Simmons but maybe a pst vs an atacr? How important is lining up the height of the clip on to the cl of the optic? Does it affect zero? I’m pretty much clip on illiterate so if anyone has a link to clip ons for dummies I’d really like to learn

Also- is there any real advantage to a high end optic with a clip on? I’m not saying i want to use a Simmons but maybe a pst vs an atacr? How important is lining up the height of the clip on to the cl of the optic? Does it affect zero? I’m pretty much clip on illiterate so if anyone has a link to clip ons for dummies I’d really like to learn
There's abunch of good threads about these questions here.
Scope quality matters more with NV clip on than thermal.
Some people say it has to be lined up dead others say it doesn't matter.

... Zeus-Pro 640 4-32x10 ...

I cannot recommend the Zeus Pro 100mm ... I had one and the image was worse than the Zeus standard 75mm I had ... maybe I had a "lemon" ... the Zeus Pro had a mil reticle in it ... one of the reasons I got it ... but the reticle was fuzzy ... and barely visible even on 2x digital (8x net). 500yds was about the limit on heated steel and I expected more. So sold it and re-read the IR-V thread about high end thermal clipons and went on that journey and I think that is the right journey if you want to go long with thermal.

==
Now, can you get the job done with PVS-30 or SIMRAD and a good illuminator? Listening to KSE as I have over the eons, I'd have to say I believe it totally. Now 600yds is still a LOOOONG way at night. But if you are determined to make it work, it should work.

==
As to advantage with high end scope and clipon ... IR-V said yes in the article in question ... I have low end (Burris xtr2 3-15x and 5-25x) and high end NF 7-35x ATACR ... and the UTC-x looks fine through both to my olde eyes. So he says glass matters with a high end thermal clipon ... I'm not 100% convinced ... but you certainly want tracking.

==

Any thermal can be shaded to the rear. Some come with rear light shades, for others you need to buy/make separately. It can be done. With clipons it is a good idea to wrap something (I use tape) around the joining between the rear of the clipon and the objective of the day scope. The keeps rain etc. out of those lenses and also light from the moon out. And on the rear of the day scope, you can mount a light shade as well.

From 600yds away your "christmas tree" will be pretty dark and small ... :)

Here is a clipon with tape as a light shade, in the center ...

amzuDZjh.jpg

==
I think "renting" a T-75 will be tough. The FLIR folks servicing the DIRECT channel are just shipping them out. They are not a store front. And these are too expensive for any dealers to have them in stock. There might be 1-2 out there like Vic said, but you'll be hunting for months, like I did with the UTC-x. The good news, is I suspect if you hated it, you could sell it.

==

AS to "clipons for dummies" .. this sight is the place ... we've debated the lining up of the optics many times.

Short answer is, yes it matters, but it matters for some clipons more than others. The military clipons are FAR more tolerant and that is the magic. Move them around from gun to gun and no adjustments needed or even possible. The civilian clipons, you will be adjusting the hecque out of.

For example, the PVS-30 is 1.5 center. And KSE attested to me that he ran it on 1.3 to 1.5 center rings with no POI offset.

The UTC-x is 1.31 center and I attested to myself that it would work 1.3 to 1.4 center. So, when I got new rings with the RAPTAR(and Radius) mounts, I went for 1.3 tp 1.4 centers and I'm fine.

So yes, worst case, you might need new rings and worst case you might need a higher chin piece ... But get a clipon and test it first.

==
As to availability of LWTS-LR ... no ... and I don't put much stock in predictions either ... I work in a tech company and one of my jobs is managing projects putting new product features into production and yes we have estimates ... but those are like weather predictions ... they are always wrong. And we, like most companies, can't afford to release a new feature half done ... so ... it is DONE when it is DONE. And sometimes that takes months longer than we thought. So in summary, "in the future" :)

But, there is always a better widget coming ... that seems to be a constant ... :D

==
Hope I touched all the questions ...

Reactions: BigUn
Lined up with thermal clip ons generally are best lined up. Most literature says on thermals, lined up and with parralax correctly set, variance can be up to two minutes in point of impact shift. Some are two moa, some are worse, a few are not. Everyone's mileage may, and will probably, vary.
Considering you are looking at a screen on thermal, proper line up gives you full screen view.

On night vision, "colimation" matters. If the nv optic is quality and properly colimated, no problem. If not properly colimated, it doesn't matter lined up or not, u will have problems.
Once upon a time with two ATN ps-22's.... one had a consistent 6 moa poi shift and you knew to reset the scope, no matter the height variance on more than one system.
#2, had enough glitch on just one rifle , don't mention two or more, that unit needed a half pound of c4 to send it somewhere.... both went back to atn and were eventually swapped for a thermal unit that got sold. That experience was horrendous.... it would have been more pleasant to have your wife bring home and give you a std.....

On my pvs22 and the pvs27 I mention using, neither unit has a poi shift, not lined up. Most of the 22's that I've used over the years had no shift. However, there WAS one we got from the 10-33 program that had a consistent shift.... again, your mileage will vary....

Again, I defer to WIGWAMITUS on these things.

Last edited:
... exactly how much magnification can be a personal thing ... how much "fuzzy" can you tolerate" ... but 15x ball park ...

You—and others—talked me into the PVS30, so I've sold some other stuff to fund it, and have had one for a few weeks. Goes to 16x sharp and clear through my Steiner Military. Almost makes me want more scope to see how far it goes. Hell of a unit.

But not thermal, no.

Reactions: wigwamitus
I've been using the refurb PVS-30 and a cheaper handheld thermal (pulsar xq38) for the last winter. First time ever night hunting and I think the setup worked well. An illuminator helped alot on no moon nights plus makes their eyes glow.

I tried using the rifle and pvs30 only but the narrow field of view and the constant need to be on the gun and staring into the light with one eye wasn't ideal. Bought the handheld within a week of trying to just use the clipon. Now I can stand and rotate without moving my feet much and see 360 degrees around me.

Attachments

• 20180124_232333.jpg
    20180124_232333.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 58
Since Rinky broached the topic: this is broadly my setup. I have a thermal pocketscope (the term of art for a monocular you don't helmet or weapon mount) plus magnifier, then NODs/laser for close range, and a clipon for long range. Have had a worse clipon for a few years so quite used to this general setup. I like clipons as I use it on several guns. Precision rifle, a .300 AR, and can pop on simulation systems when I am doing FoF training stuff.

I do like thermal for general observation as he said because of the wider FOV. Works nicely to find, identify, orient, then you move to the target or get on the gun.

My pocketscope is the EOtech Thermal Eye X300 XP. My second of the Thermal Eye line, had them since owned by Raytheon. They have a whole series so pick your price point (and some are much nicer than mine), but all are the same case, basic functions, mostly get resolution and more modes as you pay more. Good:
  • Really good performance
  • LWIR. 7-14 micron, so actually sees through (almost) all smoke, fog, dust, etc. MANY other units now are MWIR, so do not. People are starting to think all thermals don't see through things. Just get the right one though!
  • Takes AA batteries, change in the field.
  • Long battery life. Even in the cold, fresh Li will get you through the night.
  • Simple controls. One wheel for on and bright, tap to change modes. No seeking funny buttons.
  • Light, floats even
  • Has video out! And external power, if you wish.
Bad:
  • Super only a pocketscope. Has a 1/4-20 thread, and I stuck an Arca plate on it, but helmet mounting is almost entirely not going to happen.
  • Setup is through the computer (USB cable synch, Windows only software). Which is nice you can customize it a lot, and without tedious menus in the unit, but is ATROCIOUS software. I design stuff like this so would love to find the product owner and help them. It's professionally annoying.

Yea, we heard you talked to Guy at FLIR. These are some old units they have in stock we limited QTY and warranties. We have them lower than the price listed. PM for pricing.

Vic, what would you say the "optimal" or "maximum" usable magnification is on the T-75s based on your experience ?
Can you contrast with other thermal clipons?

I cannot recommend the Zeus Pro 100mm ... I had one and the image was worse than the Zeus standard 75mm I had ... maybe I had a "lemon" ... the Zeus Pro had a mil reticle in it ... one of the reasons I got it ... but the reticle was fuzzy ... and barely visible even on 2x digital (8x net). 500yds was about the limit on heated steel and I expected more. So sold it and re-read the IR-V thread about high end thermal clipons and went on that journey and I think that is the right journey if you want to go long with thermal.

==
Now, can you get the job done with PVS-30 or SIMRAD and a good illuminator? Listening to KSE as I have over the eons, I'd have to say I believe it totally. Now 600yds is still a LOOOONG way at night. But if you are determined to make it work, it should work.

==
As to advantage with high end scope and clipon ... IR-V said yes in the article in question ... I have low end (Burris xtr2 3-15x and 5-25x) and high end NF 7-35x ATACR ... and the UTC-x looks fine through both to my olde eyes. So he says glass matters with a high end thermal clipon ... I'm not 100% convinced ... but you certainly want tracking.

==

Any thermal can be shaded to the rear. Some come with rear light shades, for others you need to buy/make separately. It can be done. With clipons it is a good idea to wrap something (I use tape) around the joining between the rear of the clipon and the objective of the day scope. The keeps rain etc. out of those lenses and also light from the moon out. And on the rear of the day scope, you can mount a light shade as well.

From 600yds away your "christmas tree" will be pretty dark and small ... :)

Here is a clipon with tape as a light shade, in the center ...

amzuDZjh.jpg

==
I think "renting" a T-75 will be tough. The FLIR folks servicing the DIRECT channel are just shipping them out. They are not a store front. And these are too expensive for any dealers to have them in stock. There might be 1-2 out there like Vic said, but you'll be hunting for months, like I did with the UTC-x. The good news, is I suspect if you hated it, you could sell it.

==

AS to "clipons for dummies" .. this sight is the place ... we've debated the lining up of the optics many times.

Short answer is, yes it matters, but it matters for some clipons more than others. The military clipons are FAR more tolerant and that is the magic. Move them around from gun to gun and no adjustments needed or even possible. The civilian clipons, you will be adjusting the hecque out of.

For example, the PVS-30 is 1.5 center. And KSE attested to me that he ran it on 1.3 to 1.5 center rings with no POI offset.

The UTC-x is 1.31 center and I attested to myself that it would work 1.3 to 1.4 center. So, when I got new rings with the RAPTAR(and Radius) mounts, I went for 1.3 tp 1.4 centers and I'm fine.

So yes, worst case, you might need new rings and worst case you might need a higher chin piece ... But get a clipon and test it first.

==
As to availability of LWTS-LR ... no ... and I don't put much stock in predictions either ... I work in a tech company and one of my jobs is managing projects putting new product features into production and yes we have estimates ... but those are like weather predictions ... they are always wrong. And we, like most companies, can't afford to release a new feature half done ... so ... it is DONE when it is DONE. And sometimes that takes months longer than we thought. So in summary, "in the future" :)

But, there is always a better widget coming ... that seems to be a constant ... :D

==
Hope I touched all the questions ...

So what you saying is- buy one- if I dont like it, you’ll buy it off of me? LOL :)

Okefenokee hogs continue to suffer some heavy losses. PVS-30 worth every dollar. On a night with no moon, no problem, turn on the torch.
Like fish in a barrel. Anything inside 200 is a chip shot.
Not quite ready to go full on GA redneck yet. Taking one of these monsters with a knife is still out of my league.
Indian Jim

I guess I’m still up in the air on this. With a t75 I’m still beholden to my radius (correct me if I’m wrong) if I clip it on a rifle, and I now have two heavy as all hell rigs that suck for scanning, (fov and weight.) both could be used as a scanner detached from the rifle I assume but I haven’t really solved my primary complaint of weight and ranging capability when attached to the rifle.
I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here, and victor and wigwamitus are probably beating their heads against the wall trying to educate me and figure out what exactly it is I want, which is probably really frustrating at this point.
I’m sure y’all deal with this all the time, as the Nv/thermal market is pretty bewildering to most people. :(
I’m gonna continue my research over the weekend and hopefully I can message y’all if I have some more questions and y’all arent just totally pissed off with me for being a deer in the headlights

Why is weight such an issue if you are running the rifle off a tripod?

==
.50BMG(32) with NF 7-35x scope, suppressor, is 30 pounds.
3TC37LCh.jpg

.300WM(24) with xtr2 5-25x scope, suppressor, raptar is 20 pounds.
Mt4waoph.jpg

6.5G(18) with L&S mk6 3-18x T3 and raptar is 15 pounds ...
ILIVe0ah.jpg

5.56(18) with xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and radius is 15 pounds ...
3yN7glkh.jpg

But on the tripod they are easy to do 360s with and easy to shoot with.

==
So, something is missing in your description of how you are hunting. Are you using a vehicle to get near you setup spots? Or are you walking around and deciding where to set up?

In that case, personally, I like helmet mounted thermal for that ... hands free spotter. Click on this pic to zoom in and see the helmet mounted NODs better.

jdpIxin.jpg

IR-Patrol on the left side of helmet (right in the pic)

PVS-14 and PAS-29 on the right side of helmet (left of the pic) ...

And just strap on your long rifle and put your tripod in a carrying bag and sling it over your back.

That's how I wander about with the tripod/rifle and hands free thermal scanning and pvs-14 for navigation.

(note I don't hunt with those bolt guns, just the stoners)
==

Last edited:
Reactions: Squibbler
It sounds ridiculous and redneck, but I spend a lot of time on top of a m923a2 cab with great success, Haha. I have to hold it to do a 360, but with a few very minor mods- maybe a shooting platform I think a tripod could work very well and I wouldn’t look like quagmire after he discovered the internet anymore.

Wigwamitus- every time I post up a problem you pretty much blind side me with a solution I haven’t even considered. And all the hardware pics are pretty awesome too.

It sounds ridiculous and redneck, but I spend a lot of time on top of a m923a2 cab with great success, Haha. I have to hold it to do a 360, but with a few very minor mods- maybe a shooting platform I think a tripod could work very well and I wouldn’t look like quagmire after he discovered the internet anymore.

Wigwamitus- every time I post up a problem you pretty much blind side me with a solution I haven’t even considered. And all the hardware pics are pretty awesome too.

Based on your described wants. You can't get there with 10k.
Tactically, hunting game or people...
1. Know your area of operations. Do mapping. Do daylight ranging and do range cards. Study these until you know your ao and can dispense with radius.

2. Get a real handheld thermal, 1000 yard capable. There are a couple. Do your 360 scan from truck.

3. Have rifle and WIGWAMITUS thermal grade sight and kill target at distance...

But again, you can't do it with 10k.

So, redneck here would.... take truck and in middle of bed, put aircraft style 360 gun mount. Carpet truck bed so you can scan 360 quietly. With 360 gun mount, mount rifle, with t75 and radius, and do 360 scan. Shoot critter...

And yes, we have AR10, 1-4 or 1-8 trijicon, radius, and lwts or t75, combos and we walk with them with primos sticks. Or we use the top of the golf cart.
And yes, we have done it with a bolt gun. Up to 338 lapua.

Can be done the way u want it with truck using the goose neck mount in the truck bed if u want to build the post for the right tripod head. Your mind is your best friend or worst enemy.

So Rinky's setup above is a good example of field use of day scope, clipon, rifle, tripod and range finder mounted on the 9. Here is another example. Pitch Black Precision (KSE and company) ...

24785094_1556850034406253_4274688915876412107_o.jpg

SIMRAD on top, RRS tripod and looks to me like a custom shroud on a T-67 illuminator ...

Heavy-ish rifles work in the field off tripods !

Yeah, looks like bed mounting might be a thing !!

169.jpeg

hmmwv_weapons_pedestal_700.jpg

fort-stevens-foofs-picnic-08-300x200.jpg

Iraqtruck1.jpg

Now the OPs hunting truck has plenty of room back there ...

TRUCK19.jpg

So, the idea of a platform to get him high enough to make sure he doesn't shoot the top of the cab by mistake, seems indicated (as he mentioned).

Vic, what would you say the "optimal" or "maximum" usable magnification is on the T-75s based on your experience ?
Can you contrast with other thermal clipons?
1x Native Mag vs. .5 on the T70. 8x is great, 12x start to see pixels, 18x max. I and several of our customers all agree the 75 also perfoms better in fog and rain over the majority.

My next vehicle will be also dual purpose. Primary: transportation, secondary: Rubicon with topside platform

I gotta see this rubicon with a platform !!

Why is weight such an issue if you are running the rifle off a tripod?

==
.50BMG(32) with NF 7-35x scope, suppressor, is 30 pounds.
3TC37LCh.jpg

.300WM(24) with xtr2 5-25x scope, suppressor, raptar is 20 pounds.
Mt4waoph.jpg

6.5G(18) with L&S mk6 3-18x T3 and raptar is 15 pounds ...
ILIVe0ah.jpg

5.56(18) with xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and radius is 15 pounds ...
3yN7glkh.jpg

But on the tripod they are easy to do 360s with and easy to shoot with.

==
So, something is missing in your description of how you are hunting. Are you using a vehicle to get near you setup spots? Or are you walking around and deciding where to set up?

In that case, personally, I like helmet mounted thermal for that ... hands free spotter. Click on this pic to zoom in and see the helmet mounted NODs better.

jdpIxin.jpg

IR-Patrol on the left side of helmet (right in the pic)

PVS-14 and PAS-29 on the right side of helmet (left of the pic) ...

And just strap on your long rifle and put your tripod in a carrying bag and sling it over your back.

That's how I wander about with the tripod/rifle and hands free thermal scanning and pvs-14 for navigation.

(note I don't hunt with those bolt guns, just the stoners)
==

Dude, you've got some nice $hit. Love it. Thanks for sharing

I’m currently using a pas-13c v2 medium for coyote eradication on my farm. While I’m relatively pleased with its overall performance, it lacks in the creature comforts department.

Cheek weld is non existent as it’s so high, and it really gives you a workout to hold that heavy sucker up while scanning, also had to mount a sico radius on the rail to range with which ads even more weight.

I need to get another thermal so I can take people with me and I don’t get snuck up on from behind any more.

So- here’s my stipulations
Has to be lighter or equal in weigh
Has to have at least equal performance.
A hud kit like some of the armasights come with would be awesome
A built in rangefinder would be a major plus.
No internal non replaceable batteries
Video out

Max budget is about 10k what is my dream thermal?

Hello,

where did you buy it from? I searched Amazon, couldn't find it!