• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

About to buy a trigger for my build, I want a TiggerTech Special. For the origin you do not need the bolt release correct?

Reactions: Farmerhunter
That's what I was thinking, thank you for confirming. Haven't received the action yet so I wasn't 100% certain.

That's what I was thinking, thank you for confirming. Haven't received the action yet so I wasn't 100% certain.

Just received my origin today and literally just put the barrel and trigger on before I typed that! So far seems pretty sweet! Hope you enjoy yours when it comes.

• Love
Reactions: eyeballjr
Just received my origin today and literally just put the barrel and trigger on before I typed that! So far seems pretty sweet! Hope you enjoy yours when it comes.

They are pretty sweet, now with the bolt revision they feel awesome and time up some much easier. Not they didn’t feel good before, but the small tweak on zermätt made a world of difference with the early production ones.

Reactions: txguero
About to buy a trigger for my build, I want a TiggerTech Special. For the origin you do not need the bolt release correct?

And if you happen to find a Triggertech Trigger with a bolt release and its on sale, you can always remove the bolt release. Slide off the c-clip with tweezers, remove bolt release, slide c clip back on and your GTG.

TM6

Did you order directly from the bighorn website? If so when did you order it?

I got mine off of brownells during a 10 percent off sale. Ordered mid-December (backordered) and Brownells gave me an estimate of April for delivery. Went on the website and saw them in stock last week. Emailed customer service and boom I get a shipping notification.

They are pretty sweet, now with the bolt revision they feel awesome and time up some much easier. Not they didn’t feel good before, but the small tweak on zermätt made a world of difference with the early production ones.

Luckily mine seems to be timed just about perfectly with a trigger tech primary. Unfortunately it feels a good bit heavier than the TT Special I have on a different rifle but it's hard to have a good comparison without it being in a stock yet.

Luckily mine seems to be timed just about perfectly with a trigger tech primary. Unfortunately it feels a good bit heavier than the TT Special I have on a different rifle but it's hard to have a good comparison without it being in a stock yet.
Mine synced up great with my TT primary but definitely don’t feel as good as my diamond on my tl3

20200222_135855.jpg
20200222_131729.jpg

Those are rounds 30-35. .466" rifles a hammer. Just gotta keep going in charge weight. These were kinda slow.

Nope. Just need to gain some speed. 24" barrel and 6.5x47 might have set me back some. But if I can get these 144s to 2700+ I'll be happy

It’s possible, just might need to push it a little closer to the edge or see if the barrel picks up some speed

I ordered one on 1.9 and got the email that it was finished on 2.19. I called in ASAP to pay and they shipped the same day. It should be at my FFL Monday. So, about 6 weeks total for me.
Ordered mine Jan 10th, so maybe this week.

What’s the bolt revision? Anyway to tell if the action has the revision?

Reactions: LoCal247
Just wanted to share my recent Zermatt experience. Got word my 223AI barrel is being shipped out, so started getting my Origin ready for the install by removing the extractor. Noticed when I dry fired, I didn't see my firing pin protruding and when disassembled, found out it must had broken off at some point over my couple thousand dry fires. Sent Ray pictures at around 11-1130 last night, got an email back from him before 7 this morning telling me they'd get a new bolt assembly shipped out soon.

Can't ask for better customer service. Felt kind of bad he took the time to respond to my situation while off the clock, not something I'd expect a company to do. Will definitely be going with Zermatt again for my next action.

Just wanted to share my recent Zermatt experience. Got word my 223AI barrel is being shipped out, so started getting my Origin ready for the install by removing the extractor. Noticed when I dry fired, I didn't see my firing pin protruding and when disassembled, found out it must had broken off at some point over my couple thousand dry fires. Sent Ray pictures at around 11-1130 last night, got an email back from him before 7 this morning telling me they'd get a new bolt assembly shipped out soon.

Can't ask for better customer service. Felt kind of bad he took the time to respond to my situation while off the clock, not something I'd expect a company to do. Will definitely be going with Zermatt again for my next action.
Ray takes his job very seriously, and makes sure to take care of the customer. He’s helped me out multiple times at all hours of the day and night

Reactions: IowaGeologist
After years of finally waiting and deciding on which action would work best for me, the Origin appeared and it ticked all the boxes. I ordered direct from Zermatt. I got an email one day on my way to work saying that it was finished up, so I called in and paid the balance an hour later. It shipped the same day. Packaging was great and the action was even better. I am VERY impressed with the feel and quality. Everything is so user friendly from being able to pull the firing control group in like two seconds with no tools to removing the extractor with a just an allen. I wanted to build either a 6BR or a Dasher (went with a prefit SS Proof in 6mm Dasher) and this seemed like a great action for it. I'll have it out this weekend to do some fireforming and general practice. So far, testing in the house (with no firing pin) it has fed perfectly from my MDT 12 round magazine. Also, FWIW, I went with a Timney Calvin Elite and it seemed to time up perfectly with no modification needed. I didn't measure any cock on close, but with the naked eye I can't see any difference and it doesn't feel like there is. It's very easy to close the bolt and very smooth as well. I'm really happy with it!

Anyone have a pic of one in 223 they've done up? Just wondering. That's probably what I'm going to do next.

Does anyone run a mark5hd? 56mm bell. Would .95" rings clear with room for caps, or do I need to go to 1.1"? Not at home to measure right now and I'd like to get them ordered.

New origin sa in 6creed. Giessele 700 2 stage trigger, ax chassis, and 26" 8 twist criterion 6creedmoor barrel. Mpa 1.250 tall mount with xrs2 in it. Great action, cant say much bad about it. I didnt like the bolt handle length, it was kinda short and I was using longest knob they had. Dolomite, fellow hider, spun up a couple extensions for me and did a great job.
20200305_104111.jpg
20200305_104121.jpg
20200305_104148.jpg
20200305_104219.jpg

New origin sa in 6creed. Giessele 700 2 stage trigger, ax chassis, and 26" 8 twist criterion 6creedmoor barrel. Mpa 1.250 tall mount with xrs2 in it. Great action, cant say much bad about it. I didnt like the bolt handle length, it was kinda short and I was using longest knob they had. Dolomite, fellow hider, spun up a couple extensions for me and did a great job.View attachment 7265792View attachment 7265793View attachment 7265794View attachment 7265795

Do you know if he has any extra of those long bolt handles/extensions?

I'll text a link to this thread. He sent me a .5 and .75" extension, but I'll let him handle the supply/manufacture side, lol.

Well its assembled origin with 26in proof 6.5cm
Triggertech flat primary
area 419 hellfire

Have a vortex pst 6-24 going on it but need rings and to just decide on a dam stock or chassis been waiting for a stockies vg2 in bare carbon but thinking may go another route now or maybe an mpa matrix
20200227_001405.jpg

Here's my Dasher. It's in a PRS-1 with a 26" Proof Competition in 7.5" twist, Hawkins bottom metal, and a Timney Calvin Elite. It's borrowing the Mark IV off of another rifle for the time being. I'd like to get another Nightforce NX8 or an ATACR for it when funds allow. I'm really digging the construction and look of Foundations and think I might opt for one of them in the future instead of the PRS-1.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 230
Give me a week to build up a supply of extensions then I will post a link to the ad in this thread. Thinking I will do 1/2” as a standard size but will do custom lengths for a little more

They will be made out of 6061 aluminum with a correct length 1/4-28 Allen screw running through it. The spacers themselves will be threaded, not just a sleeve. They will be in the raw.

They add more clearance between the scope and handle. They also give a greater advantage so the bolt lift will feel lighter.

Reactions: Genin and 223Pete
Just so everyone is aware, our Spiral Extended and Competition bolt knobs are longer than any of the original 5 and they are available through our website today.

Here's a picture to show the differences.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 82273812_2771143072928979_4500018844416344064_o.jpg
    82273812_2771143072928979_4500018844416344064_o.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: King_beardsly
I find the smaller bolt knob size and 1/2" extension is perfect for keeping away from scope. Those knobs look nice, but with bigger knobs and maybe .25" longer, not sure theyd made a difference for me.

Well hot damn that looks awesome
Thxs, once i get off my ass, i'm going to paint the barrel black with brownell's aluminhyde or however you spell it...just to cold here in CO still for it to cure. I also have some acryllic modeling paint that I'm going to paint the nose red, just like the old p-40's...

Last edited:
Bighorn orgin "oviasll
Pva 7 saum 24"
Manners t2a carbon fiber
Surgeon dbm
Hellfire 419
Leopold mk5 cch
Mpa mount
Atlas cal gen 11
Can't wait for Saturday

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310-191020_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200310-191020_Messages.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 275
Origin with push feed bolt head
26" 1-8 CBI 223 Ackley
PVA barrel nut
TT Primary
CAL 2
Bravo
EBR-7C Viper

Went out to try out the new barrel and start fireforming brass. Wasn't dissapointed with 1/2" groups using cheap 50 gr Dogtown bullets I had sitting around just to get the barrel broke in and make some brass. After 75 quick rds through it and a deep clean I'm excited to see what it can do. Really liking the Origin and a big thanks to Ray for taking care of me.

IMG-7311.jpg

Origin with push feed bolt head
26" 1-8 CBI 223 Ackley
PVA barrel nut
TT Primary
CAL 2
Bravo
EBR-7C Viper

Went out to try out the new barrel and start fireforming brass. Wasn't dissapointed with 1/2" groups using cheap 50 gr Dogtown bullets I had sitting around just to get the barrel broke in and make some brass. After 75 quick rds through it and a deep clean I'm excited to see what it can do. Really liking the Origin and a big thanks to Ray for taking care of me.

View attachment 7271402
Push feed bolt head? You’ve got my interest peaked, tell me more.