• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Build Thread

Origin owners who are using a manners stock inlet for a 700...can we talk about whether or not this will for sure work? Heard both ways. Would be nice if I could just buy a ready to ship manners inlet for a 700. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My t5a worked. Had to open up ejection port cut a little.

Origin owners who are using a manners stock inlet for a 700...can we talk about whether or not this will for sure work? Heard both ways. Would be nice if I could just buy a ready to ship manners inlet for a 700. Thanks in advance.
I bought a manners eh1 that was ready to ship for a r700 cut. Fit without issue

Another fitment issue:
Bighorn is in my XLR Element chassis, still waiting on my barrel.

AICS mag seats fine, polymer mdt 223 mag takes a lot of force to seat, it fit just fine before the actin was in it. Where do I start dremeling?

Mini chassis? And no ejection issues or bolt release issues?
Not a mini. It was inleted for a Remington 700 short action. Installed pillars with my bottom metal. No ejection or bolt release issues. Dropped right in and used it for hunting this last fall

Reactions: smacha538
20200331_203454.jpg

Just wanted to give a shout out to Ray @Zermatt Arms for another outstanding customer experience. This is an early action (from original preorder) and has several thousand rounds through it and she runs buttery smooth

Just finished my "Budget" Build and can't wait to get it sighted in when the weather clears up!

Origin Action
Triggertech Special
KRG Bravo
KRG Minimalist Spigot
Magpul Bipod
Criterion 26" 6.5CM / NSS Varmint Profile
Northland Barrel Nut
Area 419 Hellfire
Seekins Precision 34mm Rings
Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR 2 PRO

Im in love with this build so far.

Not a mini. It was inleted for a Remington 700 short action. Installed pillars with my bottom metal. No ejection or bolt release issues. Dropped right in and used it for hunting this last fall

Any way you could post up some pics of both sides of the action?

Finished this for my father yesterday:

Origin Action
TriggerTech Special
KRG X-Ray (need the spigot)
26in Shilen Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor with NSS barrel nut
APA Gen 2 Lil Bastard
Harris Bipod
Bushnell XRS II with Vortex Precision Rings (lower rings on order, used what I had on hand from another build).

Attachments

• 42552D88-0737-425B-9A10-4B0CD6219AF6.jpeg
    42552D88-0737-425B-9A10-4B0CD6219AF6.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 285
Can any of you guys confirm which Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings fit the Origin action. I wanted to order a set, but noticed there were two mounting/fitment options.

Option A: Factory Remington 700 spacing
Option B: Stiller/Lone Peak

I remember seeing some guys running them, so I know they fit. Just wanted to confirm before ordering.

Thanks for the help

Can any of you guys confirm which Hawkins Precision Hybrid rings fit the Origin action. I wanted to order a set, but noticed there were two mounting/fitment options.

I remember seeing some guys running them, so I know they fit. Just wanted to confirm before ordering.

Thanks for the help
Just buy picatinny rings and skip trying to direct mount them.

Thanks for the help

Not sure about the Hawkins, but I've researched potential rings from Talley and I'm pretty sure these will work.

To be fair, I've not confirmed that with talley yet, but they are local to me so I'm just going to stop in next time I'm in the area.

Mini chassis? And no ejection issues or bolt release issues?
Origin in a t6a gen2 mini chassis, 700 ejection port inlet but came with a bolt release cut
20200417_023641.jpg
20200417_140449.jpg

After a little careful hand filing.

I was running a 6creed barrel on it, brass ejected cleanly but they did just glance across that 700 cut. Not enough to alter ejection pattern, but it bugged my ocd.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
20200430_120737.jpg

This was in an ax chassis but recently moved to this t6a. Just finished putting the 3way adj butt plate on, haven't really adjusted yet other than pad height.
20200426_174540.jpg

Barrel sped up and was testing some slower loads. Shot the old load that had sped up 50fps, but was out of poa on target. Put 1 rd for aiming point and shot 10 more, I can cover 9.5/10 bullet holes with a dime.

Last edited:
Finally got mine done
Big horn origin Short action
Trigger tech special
Hawkins bottom metal
Wyatts extended box mag
Leoupld mark 5 3.6 -18
Proof 24 carbon fiber
Area 419 hell fire
Mesa precision rifle stock
6.5PRC

Attachments

• 1A35F166-F0D5-4C43-8385-8698A19402D4.jpeg
    1A35F166-F0D5-4C43-8385-8698A19402D4.jpeg
    912.2 KB · Views: 310
  • C98398EB-A955-4FCD-85C3-464215DC7B64.jpeg
    C98398EB-A955-4FCD-85C3-464215DC7B64.jpeg
    846.5 KB · Views: 355
Ended up with my 2nd origin. Both rifles are pretty identical. I posted the 7saum before in black and now have the 25cm in green Don’t know why the photo is sideways. Probably going to get a 3rd and throw a 22” proof cf and a gunwerks clymr on it for a light hunting rifle.

mpa chassis
TT triggers
Minox on the green
Razor 2 on the black
Saum in black is rem varmint contour
25cm in green is m40 contour
2AB1C549-3F85-47D3-A863-E722FAC6FAA5.jpeg

So are the TT triggers pretty much the go-to, guaranteed option that won't f$ck up the bolt lift?

I've struggled with my Origin pretty much since day one. First had a CG Extreme Mod 22 I wanted to put on it - and the bolt lift was more like two-fisted opening, rather than two finger. Tried a Timney CE, same thing. Tried a couple tuned 40X and 700 triggers, that were 'better'. Ended up with another Timney, but it still wasn't great. And by that, I mean heavier bolt lift than even my roughest Savage. Smooth operation, but ridiculously heavy bolt open and close.

Finally sent the action off to a gunsmith to have the lift worked over, and it was finally 'good'. And about three weeks later, I found that my .223 bolt head was causing off-center firing pin strikes, and leaving wear marks on the firing pin. Bighorn replaced the bolt head and firing pin assy, no questions asked (yay!)... but now I'm back to a 'stock' cocking piece that gives heavy bolt lift again - with the Calvin Elite.

After seeing everyone else gushing about how great their Origins are, I'm starting to wonder if the trigger is what's screwing mine up?

I had only used timney before on other rifles. With all the things I was reading I just went with TT from the beginning. My two actions are about 800 apart in ser number. The earlier one has the very slightest COC, but not enough to bother me. The newer one has pretty much no COC. Both of them I can lift with my fingers though. Haven’t had any issues with either of them.

Reactions: memilanuk
So are the TT triggers pretty much the go-to, guaranteed option that won't f$ck up the bolt lift?

I've struggled with my Origin pretty much since day one. First had a CG Extreme Mod 22 I wanted to put on it - and the bolt lift was more like two-fisted opening, rather than two finger. Tried a Timney CE, same thing. Tried a couple tuned 40X and 700 triggers, that were 'better'. Ended up with another Timney, but it still wasn't great. And by that, I mean heavier bolt lift than even my roughest Savage. Smooth operation, but ridiculously heavy bolt open and close.

Finally sent the action off to a gunsmith to have the lift worked over, and it was finally 'good'. And about three weeks later, I found that my .223 bolt head was causing off-center firing pin strikes, and leaving wear marks on the firing pin. Bighorn replaced the bolt head and firing pin assy, no questions asked (yay!)... but now I'm back to a 'stock' cocking piece that gives heavy bolt lift again - with the Calvin Elite.

After seeing everyone else gushing about how great their Origins are, I'm starting to wonder if the trigger is what's screwing mine up?
did you time it to the trigger?

did you time it to the trigger?

As mentioned, had to send it off to the gunsmith to have the cocking piece worked over to get the bolt lift within acceptable limits. Like, literally, a few weeks beforehand.

I'm not entirely sure I liked the results / way it was done, which is why I'm not in a rush to send it right back to have it ground down again.

As I said, I see everyone putting TT on theirs and just gushing about how wonderful everything is - I'm *assuming* they're not having to have a $hitload ground off the cocking piece to make it usable...

...other than fucking up the mag lips is less likely to cause an unsafe condition and/or AD.

I've done a fair bit of DIY stuff on my guns over the years; the fire control system (trigger, sear, etc.) is one area I've stayed away from.

I find it kind of ironic, coming from a Savage, that the 'answer' seems to be "go grind on the cocking piece until it works right" :unsure:

...other than fucking up the mag lips is less likely to cause an unsafe condition and/or AD.

I've done a fair bit of DIY stuff on my guns over the years; the fire control system (trigger, sear, etc.) is one area I've stayed away from.

I find it kind of ironic, coming from a Savage, that the 'answer' seems to be "go grind on the cocking piece until it works right" :unsure:

If you have a caliper or depth gauge and can measure the amount of firing pin travel when the rifle is cocked, and then cocked and closed Zermatt can send you the correct cocking piece so that you won't have to file down anything. You could also send your action and trigger to Zermatt and they'll make it right for a small fee. Ray's a great guy to work with. One other thing that applies to any action, if bolt operation is less than ideal, always double check your action screw length.

Switched my origin from my match rifle to my hunting rifle.
Orgin SA
6.5 prc built by fritz at black canyon customs
Triggertech special
Bartlein CFW remington varmint 1-7.5 twist
Krg bravo
Timed Thunderbeast brake
Burris xtr3 sc2 3.3-18x50
Nightforce rings medium 1"
Atlas bipod

Attachments

• 20200530_200356.jpg
    20200530_200356.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 228
Who’s got a button rifled barrel paired up with their Origin from Keystone and how do you like it?

Well I finally but the bulletin here and I have a Bighorn build in the works:

Origin SA
Krieger 24” Med. Palma in 308
Triggertech Special
MPA Comp chassis
YHM Mini QD brake firm my Resonator in jail
Still figuring out scopes

Hopeful it’ll be here before September.

Tag for when my action comes in, which I'd imagine will be in the next week or two and the only thing I'm waiting for to put it all together. I'm currently sitting at 7 weeks, and sent my trigger to them a little over a week ago.

Origin RH with standard bolt
Manners EH1A Elite Fill Scorched Earth with mini-chassis
Proof Carbon Fiber 24" 6.5CM Sendero
Eotech VUDU 3.5-18 with Nightforce Ultralight rings
Geissele Super 700 Trigger
AAC 51T Brake with SDN-6

I think I still have another 4-5?weeks based on their quoted lead time.

Here’s my build specs:

22 Creedmoor
Bighorn Origin (duh)
1-7.7 Bartlein #3 at 24”
Manners EH-2 Tommy Bahama
TT Special
PTG M5 Flush Bottom Metal
Unsure on scope

Here is mine, it’s nothing too special but I’m loving it.
Origin Action
Criterion barrel 26” 6.5cm (don’t remember contour)
Triggertech Special Trigger
Magpul stock and bottom metal
Vortex Razor 2 4.5-27x56
Q Thunder Chicken
Likes to load the bullets long. 2.9135” with Accurate mags

Got a 5 shot grouping of .3 moa this past week with it. Just need more practice now.

Attachments

• 0E02FC43-8C1C-474C-8B4F-7725530A7ADA.jpeg
    0E02FC43-8C1C-474C-8B4F-7725530A7ADA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
Origins SA W/ standard & 224v boltface
Krg Bravo
Trigger Tech Diamond
Sig Tango 6 5-30x56 Dev-L MRAD
ARC M10
ARC Barloc
419 Hellfire
Cheapskate precision - night vision bridge
6.5CM NSS 1-7.5 26in MTU
224valkyrie X-caliber 1-7 21in medium Palma
Did you do the paint on your bravo?

How often do used origins pop up for sale? I'm thinking about diving into a custom build.

Reactions: NLS7162
How often do used origins pop up for sale? I'm thinking about diving into a custom build.

Not often.

It may be worth looking into the new Mack Bros Stainless Steel Evo action.... $575 price tag and they'll be hitting the streets any day now.

BH LA
Preferred Barrel Blanks .300 PRC Chambered, 24”, Heavy Palma, 1:9, 3/4-24 muzzle threads
Area 419 Sidewinder brake
TT Diamond set at 14oz
KRG Bravo Stock
MDT 5rd CIP Length Mags
SWFA 10x42 (for now, Brownell’s MPO 5-25x56 on the way)
Warne Xskell Mount (34mm Xskell on the way)
Unfired until I get back home on the 19th.
5D513C4A-1243-4156-B499-41A3CFB814D2.jpeg
F722E68B-4E83-4BBD-959F-67EBC6C32A03.jpeg

Reactions: Jackomason
I have an Origin/25SST barreled action that was put together by StraightJacket that is awesome for operating feel & shooting. Slick movement, easy close & open. Shoots great. I also just recently bought a 6GT barrel + another origin action + a TT Diamond and put it all together myself. The bolt close on that action takes noticeably more effort than on my 25SST setup. Still shoots awesome, just a bit more effort on close. Is this likely due to trigger in some way? Is this something that Zermatt can fix with timing trigger to the action? Would another trigger (either another TT or a Huber) possibly change this?

Before anyone asks about the bolt close/lift without the trigger installed - I don't recall any extra force when trigger wasn't installed. I will be taking the action out of chassis to switch to a Huber trigger to see its effect. When I do that I'll also double check to ensure bolt closes easily without a trigger.

I have an Origin/25SST barreled action that was put together by StraightJacket that is awesome for operating feel & shooting. Slick movement, easy close & open. Shoots great. I also just recently bought a 6GT barrel + another origin action + a TT Diamond and put it all together myself. The bolt close on that action takes noticeably more effort than on my 25SST setup. Still shoots awesome, just a bit more effort on close. Is this likely due to trigger in some way? Is this something that Zermatt can fix with timing trigger to the action? Would another trigger (either another TT or a Huber) possibly change this?

Before anyone asks about the bolt close/lift without the trigger installed - I don't recall any extra force when trigger wasn't installed. I will be taking the action out of chassis to switch to a Huber trigger to see its effect. When I do that I'll also double check to ensure bolt closes easily without a trigger.
I had to get my TT diamond timed to my TL3. Was getting some cock on close giving it a slightly heavier bolt close. The swapped to a different cocking piece and it’s good to go now. Call Zermatt and they’ll give you the run down.

Bighorn Origin SA
Christensen 1:8 24” 6.5 Creed
Mesa Precision Stock
Meopta Meostar 3-12x56
Nightforce 30 mm Ultralight 1.00 Rings
Murphy Precision Titanium 0MOA
Timney 510
Detachable Flush Mag
6lb 10oz no scope

Attachments

• 32EB48A9-1D4E-4CB6-B866-083B53A24F1D.jpeg
    32EB48A9-1D4E-4CB6-B866-083B53A24F1D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
Reactions: Redvanes
Just went to order a 223 Origin action from Brownell's and POOF ... all gone. Anybody know who might have one in stock (308 or 223)? My Google search came up empty at all the regular retailers.