• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

523B92C3-8371-49F6-B496-EB792288A48D.jpeg

Finally, got it out in its final form.

I'm planning on ordering a TL3 this week. Just wondering, do the short and long actions take the same shouldered prefits?

I'm planning on ordering a TL3 this week. Just wondering, do the short and long actions take the same shouldered prefits?

Guy has a brand new DLC TL3 in the PX right now priced under retail. I have 3 already and tempted to buy another for....I dont know what reason. Lol. It's got a 223 bolt head but you can just buy whatever you want from Bighorn. Then you'll have a switch barrel trainer and whatever other caliber you want.

Gentleman,

I have been researching this TL3 action and magazines for over two weeks now, I can’t tell you how many browser tabs I have open… I’m losing my mind! LOL I think I’m ready to pull the trigger and order my first custom action…. the Bighorn TL3. I’m going to place the order for the action as soon as I figure out the “Cut” and “Magazines” I’ll need. I would love to order this stuff this week!

Currently on hand I have two rifles which use AICS magazines, (1) Rem 700 in a KRG Bravo stock running the MDT 10 round .223 Poly Mags…. Runs like a top! (2) Bergara Premier Pro HMR in 6.5 CM running with the MagPul 5 & 10 round .308 AICS mags, also runs like a top!

This new rifle I’m going to build is to replace both of the above rifles, I want to be able to switch barrels, bolt heads, and magazines to run both the 6.5 CM & .223 Rem cartridges for now, maybe a few more cartridges in the future. Being able to swap / install barrels is the key for me.

So in researching I see this TL3 can be ordered in either the AW or AICS cut. Seems like most folks get the AW cut so they can run both AW and AICS magazines…… Is this correct? I am not familiar at all with AW magazines, I have no idea what they are. If the AW and AICS mags are a physical different size, how does a AICS mag fit into a AW cut? Is there slop etc? Please advise……..

In reading I see you guys recommend the following magazines…… (1) American Rifle Company ARC Magazines which are a DSSF AICS size, (2) Accurate Mag which are DSSF AICS magazines, and (3) the MDT DSSF .308 AICS magazines, and (4) the MDT .223 POLY MAGS which are AICS in size.

The four I mentioned above are all AICS size mags. Would it be better to just get the AICS cut TL3 action instead of the AW?

I’m so confused……. Can you guys help me out? I don’t want to order the wrong “action cut” or “magazines”.

I don’t have a 6.5 or 223 barrel picked out yet, but they will be shouldered. Temporarily I’ll put this in a KRG Bravo stock, since I already have one on hand. In the future I think something like the new Manners PRS-TCS stock will be my choice. Also going to run a Trigger Tech Diamond…..

Thanks guys for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

You guys are the best!
Jeff

Thanks for the reply. So would you say the AICS cut action would be more of a plug and play,
/ less tweaking than the AW cut with the different mags and calibers?

Seems like a read about the ARC mags have to be kept very clean otherwise they jam up. Do the Accurate Mag and the MDT mags have to be kept really clean as well to run properly?

Thank you!

One more..... Are the AICS and AW mags the same physical size? Trying to understand how both can fit into a hole if they are different.....

thanks

Doesn't really matter what cut you're going to get if you're going to use AICS pattern mags. AW mags are too much of a risk to use in a two lug action. May work on one barrel and cartridge but not the next. EXP: 243W to 6.5x47.

As far as which AICS mags to use, I don't reccomend the ARC unless you're using a bigger cartridge like 308 or 6.5PRC or 7SAUM. For Creedmoor and smaller I'd recommend MDT or Accurate Mag. The follower on those tend to nose-dive less than ARCs.
Same here I'm about to order another TL3 and it will be AICS cut, most end up never using AW mags anyway and those who do have given a mixed bag of reviews. Also what reubenski said about the ARC, if you study some of the mag threads on the forum you'll notice that this is widely backed up and very few report being really happy with them. Might be an anomaly but I've found that the MDT and even Magpul run great, the Accurate do well for most but I've had some problems with them, plus against the stream I am not a metal mag fan but it's because I got stuck being a unit armorer for a while bending several life times worth of feed ramps back in shape.

Reactions: jetsurgeon
+1 for choosing AW cut and running whatever mags you like (except ARC mags). :)

I do like AW mags, primarily for competition purposes since they are lower profile and stay out of the way in certain positions, and they easier to load. However running them takes a willingness to tweak and tune to make sure they play nice with your action/chassis fit. All the single stack mags are easy-peasy and have never required tuning for me.

Thought of something else...... Since this TL3 has the mechanical ejector in the bolt raceway, what are you guys using for a bore guide?

I usually use the Possum Hollow (Sinclair) delrin white plastic bore guides, but they don’t have a cut for the ejector.

which bore guide will work with the TL3?

thanks again!

Thought of something else...... Since this TL3 has the mechanical ejector in the bolt raceway, what are you guys using for a bore guide?

I usually use the Possum Hollow (Sinclair) delrin white plastic bore guides, but they don’t have a cut for the ejector.

which bore guide will work with the TL3?

thanks again!
The tipton universal one seems to work fine for me.

The ejector doesn't interfere with the bolt body diameter so any bore guide of the proper caliber should work fine.

Just a quick shout out.... Called Altus, spoke with Mike. Mike is a really nice and knowledgeable guy, he answered all of my questions, and I had a lot of them. He got me straightened out with my order, super nice guy Mike is. As for my first experience with Altus, I'm truly impressed!!! I know they will be getting a lot of business from me going forward.

You guys rock!

Now to figure out barrels.... ;)

Ordered:
TL3 DLC, Standard Head, AW cut
223 Bolt Head
Bighorn Action Wrench
TT Diamond

Thanks again guys for all the help!

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Classyredneck00
Lots of good options for barrels. The 223 barrel on my TL3 was chambered as a prefit by Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles aka Bugholes. He will have pretty much any barrel you are looking for in stock and will quote you an accurate lead time and fair price.

His barrels absolutely hammer. I rarely spend any time shooting for group size with my 223, but last weekend I decided to put up a 5 round group at 100 yards, prone with bipod and a rear bag. No practice groups or cherry picking, just the 1 group on paper I shot on that day.

ZIuIxZf - Imgur.jpg

Go for the AW cut. No reason not to do so.
I gave AW mags a chance, they feed so smoothly I love it. But I had to tune them a lot and do a lot of testing before they even feed. So either you want to try or not, you can get the AW cut and see if you like AW mags. Most people don't go this road because of feeding issue, and it's a real problem.
For mags, never had issues with MDT, either their 12rds or their 10rds. Same for accurate mag. From every one I know who have tried ARC mags in their TL3, they throw them away so I would stay far from thoses.

As for the barrels, yes I want to do shouldered pre fits. I have a bunch of reading / learning about the different barrels types..... cut vs. button, length, countour, twist, gain twist, etc...... to many options. LOL

I went with the AW cut action. I think I’m going to pick up two of the 12 round MDT metal mags for the 6.5 CM, I’m hoping the 10 round Polymer MDT 223 mags I already have will work for the 223 barrel.

Yea the Altus experience was such a joy, I can not remember the last time I’ve ever had such a nice conversation and experience, it kind of makes me want to call them back and buy something else, even though I don’t know what to buy! LOL. Yea it’s a gold mine for sure!

So off to start researching 6.5 CM and 223 barrels...... :)

thanks guys

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
Go for the AW cut. No reason not to do so.
I gave AW mags a chance, they feed so smoothly I love it. But I had to tune them a lot and do a lot of testing before they even feed. So either you want to try or not, you can get the AW cut and see if you like AW mags. Most people don't go this road because of feeding issue, and it's a real problem.
For mags, never had issues with MDT, either their 12rds or their 10rds. Same for accurate mag. From every one I know who have tried ARC mags in their TL3, they throw them away so I would stay far from thoses.

Really? Guess I got lucky. I've always had great luck with my ARC mags in both my TL3s. No problems while shooting 6.5 Creed, had to get magazine kits for 6 Dasher. I initially did the Primal Rights kit that I modified to work in the ARC, then I went to the PVA magazine kits with Freedom Gunworks extensions.

Really? Guess I got lucky. I've always had great luck with my ARC mags in both my TL3s. No problems while shooting 6.5 Creed, had to get magazine kits for 6 Dasher. I initially did the Primal Rights kit that I modified to work in the ARC, then I went to the PVA magazine kits with Freedom Gunworks extensions.

Can't say why or why not. But 2 friends of mine ordered 5 ARC mags together for their 6.5CM TL3. Nothing have worked, from what I remember they got too much nose diving, causing a lot of feeding issues. I tried one of them just to compare, same thing with mine.
Both ordered spring and other parts upgrade to see and they never find a way to fix it. And even can't get a decent service from ARC to return them. Haven't ordered one myself, but those are really good competition friends and I saw everything above. So you might get Lucky, or they didn't, but I'll stay away from those mags myself.

I just put together a TL3 in a whiskey 3 chassis. I know it’s supposed to be a straight drop in, but it appears that when if full lock up, the bolt handle just makes contact with the backbone of the chassis. Is something that needs to be relieved or should I just run it as is?

I just put together a TL3 in a whiskey 3 chassis. I know it’s supposed to be a straight drop in, but it appears that when if full lock up, the bolt handle just makes contact with the backbone of the chassis. Is something that needs to be relieved or should I just run it as is?

I just put mine in an x-ray and noticed the same thing. I will be notching for full lockup and lug engagement.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
Finished my TL3 build and used it in a match last weekend.

TL3 Lefty
26" MTU Criterion barrel in 6.5creedmoor
MDT ACC with lop spacer and bag rider
BixnAndy Tacsport pro 2stage
Minox zp5
Mpa mount
Area 419 arca adapto
Harris bipod
Thunderbeast ultra 7 6.5
Aw mags

I love it. Working up loads now

Attachments

• 20200314_161310.jpg
    20200314_161310.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 205
Have this one finally built.. should be in my hands this week for some better pictures.

Will likely mount a Kahles 318i or a Tangent Theta TT315P (haven't decided yet).

Really happy with the fading on the CeraKote.

BigHorn TL3
Manners MCS-TA in Swamp
Benchmark BHV Profile Barrels (.223, .308, and 6.5CM)
Triggertech Special

PfT6EvWl.jpg

BCf4Dwol.jpg

NWaBhXgl.jpg

g3FqRvJl.jpg

Aw1N9zol.jpg

Just picked up a new action today and it no longer has the Bighorn logo. Wonder when it changed?

Anyone have a ZCO 527 in Spuhr mount? Does the Spuhr 6001 have enough height for clearance?