• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

BMW vs Corvette

Victory

Pagan Raider
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2005
Making bad guys nervous
So I am getting back from deployment soon and want to buy something fast. I am torn between a 2008 BMW 335i with a JB4 tune or a C5 Corvette.

Anyone have any horror stories with any of these vehicles? Just a heads up I don't have kids and am not married so being a two seater is no biggie. So what do you guys think? Hoping maybe someone here could help sway me one way or the other.

Re: BMW vs Corvette

I drive 525xi and i've tried 335 which you mention. Good cars specially xdrive is nice, handling superb while mine being a cruise ship a bit underpowered for its size the 335 is an animal but very controlled animal due to electronic help systems.

I wouldn't dare to compare it to Corvette as i think it's totally different car i'd say if you want pure performance you should go US way (~350hp if i'm not mistaken vs ~330hp with 335i) also be sure to check service information as my beemer has had quite a few quirks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 1967 E-Type Jaguar. </div></div>

But that only pulls vintage MILF ...

laugh.gif

I know the 335I's have had a lot of problems with their HPFP. From what I have read, they will cover it until 100,000 miles no problem. Other than that I haven't heard anything horrible about them.

The JB4 tune would add about 80hp to the wheels, which makes that car and even bigger beast. I think I am leaning towards the BMW just for the fact that it is more practical, but you only live once and have wanted a Vette since I was a child. I do kind of have a feeling that at 30 and driving a vette, women will think I am having an early midlife crisis.

Actually one of the main reasons these two cars are in the running is that both actually get great gas milage for the types of cars they are.

Vintage is def not going to get it done for me. I don't want to spend every weekend in the garage just to keep it running.

That's not necessarily true, Veer. The E-Type still turns the young ladies' heads.

Plus they're easy to work on.

Go with the Vette, Vic. Vette's are associated with men, BMW's are associated with dudes who wrap their sweaters over their shoulders and around their necks, play a half-assed game of tennis and sip Perrier water with a slice of orange in it.

Buy a 5k used car, go to vegas with the money you have left over, walk up to a craps table and put it all on the field.
grin.gif
Seriously though, my vote is not to buy the car. Too big of an expense to continue having. Think of all the stuff you could buy if you didn't buy the car...hookers, booze, skydiving trips, tvs, guns, motorcycles, more guns, vacation trips. Just food for thought. No I'm not one of those "you should save it" types. By all means, spend it! But just think of what you could do and how much fun you could have with that money if you didn't spend it on a car...

If your heart is set on spending your money on an expensive car with expensive insurance, than go for the vette.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vette's are associated with men, BMW's are associated with dudes who wrap their sweaters over their shoulders and around their necks, play a half-assed game of tennis and sip Perrier water with a slice of orange in it.</div></div>

Namely ...

2hqf250.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Vette and support the local economy. </div></div>

If he is looking at used cars this is a moot point as any car he buys used supports the "local economy".

I say get the BMW, from what I have been told by my friends who are trauma surgeons is that very few people survive accidents in Corvettes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am getting back from deployment soon and want to buy something fast. I am torn between a 2008 BMW 335i with a JB4 tune or a C5 Corvette.

Anyone have any horror stories with any of these vehicles? Just a heads up I don't have kids and am not married so being a two seater is no biggie. So what do you guys think? Hoping maybe someone here could help sway me one way or the other. </div></div>

You want some solid advise from someone that has been through both cars shoot me a PM and I will give you my number

BMW service is a joke and their service records are even worse. People that get a BMW 90% of the time lease it so it won't be out of factory warranty. BMW aftermarket support is not nearly what GMs is. You can't get parts to build a 1,200 HP monster just anywhere like you can for a GM.

NOW THE VETTE!

Example : this is a car that I helped a friend build.

1999 FRC vette used with 40k miles was $16k . Car came with headers, corsa exhaust, and a ton of suspension goodies.

LQ4 6.0L short block used for 600
L92 assembled heads 500
Lighly used A&A PROCHARGER D1 KIT 4,500
Cam kit 600
Fuel system 1000
Clutch 1000
Borrowed sent of drag radials
Getting kicked off of the 1/4 mile for no cage priceless.

Car made 933 RWHP would run high 9s all day and was still driven anywhere and everywhere at 18mpg+ in the city

This vette was showroom condition also. I don't build hillbilly race cars.

You tell me what a 24,000 dollar BMW will do?

I've only driven one BMW...a 1996 M3 sedan, and it was pretty cool. Handled really good.

My daily driver is a 2005 F-350 turbodiesel with chip, intake, and exhaust, and it screams. Lots of fun when the turbo spools up and it takes off like a jet.

I also have a GSX-R600. It's fast as balls too.

And then, in the garage, is a 2005 Corvette. I like my truck. I like my bike. I like all the fancy cars my wife brings home (she works for a car dealer). I LOVE the Corvette. I love it when I hit 1g on a cloverleaf. I love it when I hammer the gas, and the ass end squats down, and the 4-tip Corsa exhaust screams that beautiful American V8 rumble. There's not really anything like it.

And, it kinda looks like a batmobile.

I'd buy the Corvette.

Funny, about a year ago you were talking cadillacs LOL. I know 3 (2 guys + one female) with relatively new corvettes & are pleased. BMW service, like any import luxury is great for the first 3 years, after that $$$.

HP aside, two totally different cars. You want to impress the girl go for the 'vette, you want to impress her parents go BMW.

PS glad your back!

Vettes are for men over the age of 55 that want to do the speed limit in the left lane and don't know how to put the power down like it should be... Hondo1312 you're an exception to the norm...

Caddy CTSV fast(sleeper), Corvette Z06 super fast, C5 with some mods is fast. If your looking for super fast get the CTSV, way less attention from cops. I've seen some sleeper CTSV's take town really hopped up cars. If you want chicks and a good running car that sounds like hell is comming with you, look at the new Challenger 392 and mod it a little. FYI, I clocked a C5(modded) and a Trailblazer SS(modded) from a dead stop to over 120mph in less than a half mile. They got topped out pretty fast, I had to cut the radar off at 120mph otherwise I wouldn't have caught them. Yep, they both got tickets. Grudge matches aren't what they use to be in the 60's and 70's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caddy CTSV fast(sleeper), Corvette Z06 super fast, C5 with some mods is fast. If your looking for super fast get the CTSV, way less attention from cops. I've seen some sleeper CTSV's take town really hopped up cars. If you want chicks and a good running car that sounds like hell is comming with you, look at the new Challenger 392 and mod it a little. FYI, I clocked a C5(modded) and a Trailblazer SS(modded) from a dead stop to over 120mph in less than a half mile. They got topped out pretty fast, I had to cut the radar off at 120mph otherwise I wouldn't have caught them. Yep, they both got tickets. Grudge matches aren't what they use to be in the 60's and 70's. </div></div>

You might want to clarify what year CTSV. The older LS6 cars are rather weak and not nearly the same platform as a vette, plus he wanted a 2 seated. Now the newer CTSV are nice, but I don't think he is going to spend that kind of money.

Well you want something fast and fun go buy a S-10 single cab and let's slap a LSX based engine in it.

I have one I built about 3 years ago and its is an absolute blast to drive.

As you can tell I'm a LSX whore.

Actually, some of the older Caddies were fast. We had one one night out run our helicopter (flying egg). It was somewhere in the area of 140+mph. He didn't give his dollar amount, so I was just offering options. CTSV 2004-2005 was 5.7L, which I like as a motor. 2006-2007 was 6.0L, nice upgrade. 2009-present I think is the 6.2L. Expensive yes, but the ability to wipe the floor with some of these tuners and overpriced "sports cars" with a 4door grocery getter-----PRICELESS! I'm in total agreeance, get the lightest vehicle you can (mazda miata, chevy luv, schevy s-10) stuff a beast in it and let it eat. Since 2006, CTSV has came with exact same engine as base model Vette. The 2 seaters these days are overrated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, some of the older Caddies were fast. We had one one night out run our helicopter (flying egg). It was somewhere in the area of 140+mph. He didn't give his dollar amount, so I was just offering options. CTSV 2004-2005 was 5.7L, which I like as a motor. 2006-2007 was 6.0L, nice upgrade. 2009-present I think is the 6.2L. Expensive yes, but the ability to wipe the floor with some of these tuners and overpriced "sports cars" with a 4door grocery getter-----PRICELESS! I'm in total agreeance, get the lightest vehicle you can (mazda miata, chevy luv, schevy s-10) stuff a beast in it and let it eat. Since 2006, CTSV has came with exact same engine as base model Vette. The 2 seaters these days are overrated. </div></div>

the new CTSV is a 6.2 LSA with a twin lobe eaton 1900 blower. It makes a big difference.

And your " the exact same motor as a base model vette" statement is totally wrong.

Base model vettes
97-2000 was a LS1 5.7L
01-04 was a LS1 5.7L with the 241 heads and LS6 Intake
05-06 was a LS2 6.0L
07-12 is a LS3 6.2L

Z06 Trim vette
01-04 5.7L LS6 different heads, valvetrain, and cam than the base model
06-12 7.0 LS7 Which is a hand assembled engine

ZR1 Trim
09-12 6.2L LS9 all forged short block fed by a eaton twin lobe 2200 blower.

Now the current engine in the CTSV is the same base engine as the ZR1 minus the forged internals and it has a smaller blower.

There are other sub model differences but I won't get into all of that.

My denifition of a fast car is something that scares me. I have yet to be in anything factory that literally scares me. Now driving a 1000+ HP car past the 60' with daylight under tires is a bit scary.

To the OP go vette and don't look back. Besides resale will be good in 10 years unlike the BMW

I say get the 'Vette, but I am a redneck FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PanaDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a macho car get the corvette. If you want a fast car that you can actually drive in conditions other than a dry road in a straight line, get the BMW, an audi, or (my choice) a subaru. </div></div>

Having seen a lot of your posts lately, I cannot say I am surprised...jus sayin.

Not tryin to get all technical, because I'm not. Look up the CTSV, it even says 06-09 "same motor as vette", I double checked it. By same I meant 6.0L, not anything more. Also, I'm well aware of package differences. I totally agree, go with the Vette because there are a lot of upgrade options for them.

No offense taken. Different strokes, etc. I would rather pay for the better machine rather than buy based on where it was built and a 45 year old reputation of a car with nothing in common except name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say get the 'Vette, but I am a redneck FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PanaDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a macho car get the corvette. If you want a fast car that you can actually drive in conditions other than a dry road in a straight line, get the BMW, an audi, or (my choice) a subaru. </div></div>

Having seen a lot of your posts lately, I cannot say I am surprised...jus sayin. </div></div>

Put your money in a retirement fund and call it quits a year or two early. The car want be worth a shit in 10 years, that is if you don't crash it, but the saved money will still be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am getting back from deployment soon and want to buy something fast. I am torn between a 2008 BMW 335i with a JB4 tune or a C5 Corvette.

Anyone have any horror stories with any of these vehicles? Just a heads up I don't have kids and am not married so being a two seater is no biggie. So what do you guys think? Hoping maybe someone here could help sway me one way or the other. </div></div>

If you want faster or the fastest, and American non Government bailout, go for the Ford GT. If it's price is to high, settle for a Shelby GT-500. Both are only a dream for me right now. Maybe a Mustang Shelby GT is in my future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put your money in a retirement fund and call it quits a year or two early. The car want be worth a shit in 10 years, that is if you don't crash it, but the saved money will still be there. </div></div>

Good advice!

I owned a BMW 328i and I can assure you they are not suited for snow, ice, heavy rain, or dirt roads. Maybe the all-wheel drive models are, but short of that no way in hell. As for putting a Subaru in the mix and I assume you meant the WRX that's like comparing apples to oranges since the WRX was designed for Rally style not open highway racing and although it may do well in any weather conditions it's not made for high top-speeds.

Fuck all the choices though and go buy yourself a classic. It won't depreciate when you drive away, you can do the maintenance yourself, and I don't give a shit who you are when a car does this...

9729-1970-Chevrolet-Chevelle.jpg

Everyone's head turns...

If it has to be "newer" why does it have to be a Vette? For the same Price as your basic C5 I could build this...

SideProfileDriver.jpg

SideProfileFront.jpg

and still have $$$ left over...

A C5 is road race ready out of the box
My C5 does pretty good in other than a strait line
it loves porches
Texas World Speedway http://vimeo.com/23162329

Skip the junk, buy a real machine. Wish I could afford to own it,let alone drive it.

2012-S-Class-S65-AMG-Sedan-MH1.jpg

$210,900*
MSRP
621 Horsepower
12/19 MPG(city/hwy)
Handcrafted AMG 6.0L Biturbo V-12 Engine
Apply for Credit

Generating 621 hp @ 4,800 rpm, the handcrafted 6.0-liter twin-turbo V-12 of the S65 AMG outputs more torque than any AMG engine before it: a pavement-trembling 738 lb-ft @ 2,000-4,000 rpm. It can deliver 60 mph in just 4.2 seconds, while innovative liquid-to-air intercooling helps assure high power and torque output under all conditions. A reinforced 5-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT transmission offers three driver-selectable modes, including a paddle-shifted manual mode. Its Active Body Control (ABC) fully active suspension features exclusive AMG calibration, while massive composite-rotor, multi-piston brakes and 20" wheels set off exclusive bodywork. A cockpit lavished in diamond-pattern Exclusive leather is inspired equally by AMG's racing heritage and the Mercedes-Benz standard of refinement.

Visit the Mercedes-AMG Site to:
Explore the S65 AMG Sedan.

Build This Model.

One man, one engine

Each AMG engine is crafted by the hands of a single AMG Master Engine Builder. No accumulation of racing victories could express the 45-year motorsports legacy as completely as this singular philosophy. Our determination to continually stretch the bounds of automotive performance comes directly from one man's hands to yours, and comes to life every time you get behind the wheel, on the race track or on the street. It's the instantaneous reward of a performance machine four decades in the making.

Learn more about AMG.

People ask me how I own really nice rifles with Schmidt and Bender Scopes..I point at my used clunker which suits me just fine. But those BMW M3s are badass..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Go with the Vette, Vic. Vette's are associated with men,</div></div>

yea, men with little dicks, hairy chests, bleach blonde bimbos, gold chains and slick backed hair.

Refinement speaks of elegance = BMW
Get'r done Mater = Corvette

Better yet buy a Twin turboed ML63 and help keep AS an I employed. 7 speed tranny an 550 hp of holy smokes "it's four wheel drive". LOL!

Get the Corvette and you can add on the option where you go to the factory in Bowling Green to assemble the engine under the watchful eye of a master engine builder and then drive it off of the line. That's my plan.

Actually though, I'm not sure how you would be deciding between the two. Everyone who has responded so far has had a clear thought of what they thought was best and it is obvious they didn't consider both cars. For instance, my choice was narrowed down to a Corvette or a used Ferrari...BMW was nowhere to be found in that decision tree.

You want a chick magnet?

Yugo_Ad2%5B1%5D.jpg

Or something offroad?

20061116_100418_14546.jpg

Forget M3,AMG or vettes, thi is 60HP of pure adrenaline .....

I looked at M3's but they get horrible gas milage, and a stock 335i is about as fast.

UKDslayer: Yeah I was looking at the Caddy's a while ago. Never found one that I wanted that was in my price range. Been looking for a long time, now I am in position to get exactly what I want. There are a bunch of dealers down in Dallas, if I make it that way I'll have to stop by and show you some deployment pics and movies.

If the car doesn't get better than 20mpg it isn't an option. I already have a truck that gets horrible gas milage.

You could always pony up and get the ZR1, lol. Honestly the cheapest sporty car I would ever consider buying would be an M3. Anything else just seems like a waste of money imo. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right or not do it at all.

I would say buy once, cry once but with a car it's a little different. Payments etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 1967 E-Type Jaguar. </div></div>

But that only pulls vintage MILF ...

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Untrue! Whenever I go back home to hang with my Pop, we always figure out a way for me to get the '67 E Type out, whether it is for a wash and wax, or just to go drive around in. The straight six with it's sidedraft SU's, racy cams, and racy recrafted exhaust system make for a very cool chick magnet ride. ALL the hotties dig the thing, and even the 18-20+ ones don't care too much about the pair of old dudes driving in it....plus for me when Pop is riding shotgun.
The snarl of that little 4.6 and the grip offered by...uh well here is where it gets weird...big ass Corvette rally wheels and tires...little mod Pop did back in the day with some very clean widened wheel well work) The Jag is killer no doubt, BUT:
Remember, a Jag has Lucas wiring, bell and crank kit for clutch and brake pedals, and stuff that essentially requires one be not only good with the tools, but have a high degree and dedication to working on the thing.

A newer Vette is inexpensive, easy to tune but smells like the 65 year old enema nozzle who traded it in as well as his old lady for a newer model. Look at the new M1, or the M3. Go out to Infineon and take a look at the Legends Motors shop where they tune Bimmers and Mercedes 'road cars'. You should like the wide fenders, the big 305+ wheels, the lowered stances, but the sound. OMG the fucking sound! If you like a well tuned ride, you have to go get one of these cars. Not only will it smoke anything else on the street, it will run the freeway at 120+ in Cruise Control. It will also rev to the stratosphere, and if you like either the whoosh and pop of a turbo, or the whine of a blower, they got those too...just make sure you know how to handle an ass happy car though. Oh, and if chick magnet is part of what you want, there is nothing cooler than a highly tuned Bimmer or Benz to roll in. Or you could go find an old Alfa...just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be "newer" why does it have to be a Vette? For the same Price as your basic C5 I could build this...

SideProfileDriver.jpg

SideProfileFront.jpg

</div></div>

Buy a Vette or build a riced out Mustang? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it has to be "newer" why does it have to be a Vette? For the same Price as your basic C5 I could build this...

SideProfileDriver.jpg

SideProfileFront.jpg

</div></div>

Buy a Vette or build a riced out Mustang? lol </div></div>

Lambo doors and enough fiberglass and lights to make Carroll himself blush! This ain't Tokyo Drift!

Bet it still weighs the piggish tonnage...unlike my 2800 pound '66
wink.gif
(it will be lighter even still with the 'glass hood, fenders and trunk lid from what My Pop is telling me)

Buy the car before you get out. Get the toy while you have the dinero and get out when it's paid for. That or buy a nice project hooptie