• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boil Your Brass?

Krav69

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2007
Just had a conversation while buying an ultrasonic cleaner, and lo and behold the guy selling me the machine was a shooter from a while back. A really old dude, actually.

He goes on to tell me that brass is easily cleaned by simply boiling it in soapy water, at a rolling boil for a little while, then do a little touch up.

I'm new to reloading, and am wondering if this is okay to do, structurally speaking. Naturally the brass would be dried, all other procedures adhered to fully.

I'm reloading .308 and 300WM, for full disclosure.

TresMon, reloading master, feel free to comment, like please.

Re: Boil Your Brass?

The only time "boiling" would help in cleaning would be for black powder. Unless you plan on shooting black I wouldnt bother, just us a tumbler.

I generally find my (br)ass is already in enough hot water...
smile.gif

sorry, couldn't resist...

Krav, although I have not tried this myself I cant really see it being of much use.

To what degree does this individual consider brass clean?

To some, unless its shiny like new, its not clean.

To some, vibratory tumbling is cleaning it even though its not all that much cleaner.

If you dont shoot a besquillion rounds a day, then an ultrasonic unit will do wonders for you, however if the bank can support it the stainless option looks to offer the most flawless results.

I cannot see boiling doing squat. Maybe some of the loose stuff will come off, but that's about it. You need mechanical friction to get the crap off.

The old timer was describing what used to be necessary to rid fired brass of corrosive priming compound residues.

It has not been necessary for years now, and would probably have no effect on modern stuff.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evilaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long do you boil? Do you like your brass regular, creamy or al dente? </div></div>

Cheeky bugger
laugh.gif
ehehehehe

Just for shits and giggles, I tried this this morning. Brought the water to a boil, tossed in 20 pcs of 5.56 brass and hit it with some dish washing liquid. 15 minutes later, the water had not turned color at all and brass was still dirty. Myth busted! LOL

I have used lemon juice, vinegar, and on some occasions, CLR. I simply lightly moisten the tumbling media with some, and allow the media to tumble by itself until the moisture is fully distributed and absorbed.

If you add the brass before doing that, it is still swelling when it gets inside the cases and can only be removed afterward very tediously with a pick.

You can get all busy about neutralizing the acid afterward but I find that a soft cloth lightly dampened with rubbing alky will remove any external residues very adequately with a a little bit of a wipe. If there are any internal residues and if they are harmful, I haven't seen any evidence of it.

Interior soot makes no mattermind to me.

Greg

I would sugget some Lyman Corn powder, and a tumbler. The brass is shinny clean and a bit less messy than boiling water and all the soap stuff. Just saying...

You only boil brass to remove really nasty cooties. None of my brass has ever needed that treatment. ;-)