• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Bolt Gun Build

Lou the Jew

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2017
Howdy everyone, first time posting here. I am currently obtaining parts for a build. My friend is a well known gunsmith and will complete the build but I must provide the parts. Up until now, I have using my M1A's, Mark 11 and Mark 12 semi auto's for distances up to 800. For this rifle, I will be using a Magpul Hunter stock and it will be chambered in 6.5 CM. I am undecided on some of the parts and would like advice on the barrel and bolt.

My choices are for the bolt are down below. Both bolts are well within my price range and only interested in performance. The main difference between the two appear to be that on is a stainless and the other carbon steel.

http://grabagun.com/remington-27553-700sa-carbon-steel.html

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ion+Centerfire/Remington+ACTION+700+SA+SS+308

I would also appreciate any advice for barrels for this project. I would like to stay within the 500 range but have not excluded going over. Also, would appreciate any further advice on bolt knobs, triggers etc. I was planning to look into Timney, Jewel and so forth.

Thanks,
Lou

Lou, I have done 4 builds along the lines you are traveling. $500 will not touch what you want to do. Three have been on Remington receivers and one on a surgeon 591. Honestly I prefer the Remington.

Buy the carbon reciver from grab a gun. Let your buddy blueprint it. Toss the factory trigger and buy a Jewell HVR. As far as barrels go, I've done three with Bartlein and one with an X-caliber. All have been quarter MOA guns with 140 ELD match and the x-caliber was a really nice surprise for the money since my buddy was on a budget. Get a 1:8 twist. No reason at all to get anything heavier than a medium Palma or sendero contour.

Bolt knobs. I like the badger or tac ops style. There's a dude on eBay, PurePrecision I believed eve, that sells a knob in the white for around $25. I've used them on all my builds and SFSG.

One recommendation regarding the stock. I have magpul piece and it is nice but if funds allow, I HIGHLY recommend a KRG X-ray. I own stocks from Cadex, AI, MDT, and the KRG is BY FAR my favorite.

Lastly, if your buddy hasn't bought a reamer yet, the SAAMI spec that JSG makes seems to turn out a nice rifle. Best of luck.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i63.tinypic.com\/2epng5t.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Cast, thanks for the heads up. I might have to PM you sometimes for additional info. The X ray chasis was on my list prior to our conversation. Any additional info is welcome as well. Thanks.