• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Box testing a PST 6-24 SFP thru scope pics added

Scott_at_Vortex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2010
Barneveld,WI
www.vortexoptics.com
So I decided to take one of the SHOT show sample 6-24x50 Viper PST SFP MIL home with me this weekend just to put it through some paces and it didn't disappoint. After spending the weekend with this scope I am more confident than ever that it will be everything we are hoping it will be. I mounted it on my bone stock 700p in 223rem on a 20moa base. I will admit the 4-16 FFP MIL is more my cup of tea ,but even at 24x the scope is nice and crisp with minimal chromatic aberration, noticeably better than some other name higher priced optics that I own at this power. So even though I shot it all weekend it never crossed my mind to maybe take some pics until late Sunday afternoon. So I figured I would do a quick box test. Since I ran out of the ammo that I had the rifle zeroed with I had to switch to something different. So I started at the bottom left hand target, with this being my point of aim for all shots, and my new ammo had me a tad off ,but was easily fixable since the turrets match the reticle. So I took another shot and it went where it was suppose to. I then rotated both turrets all the up and down a couple of times and back to zero(which I did between every shot). I then rotated the elevation turret up 1.5 mils and took a single shot, rotated the turrets up and down a couple times,put the elevation turret back on 1.5 and turned the windage turret right 1.5 mils and took a single shot. Anyways I did three rotations around the box one shot at a time making sure not to forget to spin the turrets all the way up and down a few times in between each shot (since I know some of you are going to do this the very first chance you get
grin.gif
).

So here are my results-
IMG_1688.jpg

By the way if any of you live close to me here in WI and want to come check these scopes out and possible shoot with them we can probably work something out.

Scott

Re: Box testing a Viper PST 6-24 SFP

Scott,

I just purchased a Razor HD from Scott @ Liberty Optics. He told me that the Viper PST scope will not be available until June. Is that true? and if so, how come?

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

I just purchased a Razor HD from Scott @ Liberty Optics. He told me that the Viper PST scope will not be available until June. Is that true? and if so, how come?

Jamie</div></div> June is the best estimate I can give you right now. We want these PST's out there as much as you guys and we are doing everything we can to get them out there. Wish I had something a little more definitive ,but this is all I can tell you right now.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I was going to put an order in for a PST, however I am moving in June and would no longer be at my present location. I will have to wait until after the move. BTW can't wait to get the Razor mounted on the TRG 22.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Enkry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about some reticle pics!!!! </div></div>Going to try and get them this week.

Scott

What are we talking about in terms of price on the Viper vs. the Razor HD which is currently going for $2K on SWFA?? regards, Dale.

Thanks for the review Scott.

You mention the crisp view at 24x and that is good to hear even more so since I'm interested in the 4-16x.

The box test looks good especially with the thorough testing you did there.

How is the sight picture? Did you see any tunnel vision as has been seen in the earlier Viper scopes or has this been addressed in the PST?

I'm guessing you are also addressing the feel of the turrets after some inconsistent SHOT show reports. You probably want them as nice and crisp as we do.

I appreciate your not being able to provide a definite date for release so as to get it right. I have waited a long time for this scope and I can wait a little bit longer if I need to I guess.

It's nice to get a little review to hold us over. Thanks again.

P.S. Did you happen to snap a pic of the scope on your rifle at the range? That would be cool to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P.S. Did you happen to snap a pic of the scope on your rifle at the range? That would be cool to see.
</div></div>

Hell yes it would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Hell yes it would.</div></div>

+1

I got dibbs on a 4-16 FFP MRAD!

Can't wait. Hope these scopes deliver because it's the only scope I'll be able to get for the next year or more!

Good to see a review for these. I told myself not to expect to see mine (I pre-ordered in Dec.) until mid to late summer when they were saying they would ship in the spring. Fine by me, as I would rather have a scope with the bugs worked out a little later than get one early that might have a problem.
Gives me time to stack some ammo!

Even if you did get one and had a bug, Vortex will fix it no questions asked which is a huge buying point for me.

I can tell that my wife is gonna be mad at me. I have been leaning towards ordering one of these and for the price I think I am gonna. Vortex is a great co, and it is good to see they are taking the time to work this stuff out before they release them.

Now I am gonna need to buy another gun to put it on....What should I get????

I hate having this kind of problem and stress in my life!
smile.gif

-Nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Hell yes it would.</div></div>

+1 </div></div>The range is at my house so that won't be a problem. I will take some pics tonight.

Here is a pic of one of my AR's that I have been testing a PST 1-4 on. ( The Surefire was just to make the pic pretty
blush.gif
)
ar15_viper-pst_1-4x24_04-1.jpg

Scott

Is there a review anywhere on the Viper? It looks like it might fill a niche for me.

david

I can't wait to see these when they come out. Like everyone else, I have very high hopes for them. Thanks for the review, and yes, please tease us with some pictures of the scope on the gun.

What rings are on the Remmy? I'm getting a 6x-24x FFP for my 700 SPS and want to look at getting the rings before the scope arrives. I have a 0 MOA Badger base now. If possible, I'm interested in the specific ring height from base. Thanks and she looks good on there
wink.gif

As an FYI, in the future you should consider box testing on a larger target using more adjustment. Errors rarely show up inside such a small box, a minimum of 20 inches or about 6 Mils should be used to highlight any potential problems.

I use a target big enough to put enough elevation on for as far as I intend to shoot that particular rifle and load. That way, if the scope doesn't have enough elevation, I know it before I try to shoot very far.

scott, looks like a great scope. i know exactly where you should dispose of it...send it to Chris, in Katy Tx

I can not wait for these to come out. All the pictures all the specs everything say this is going to be a tough scope to keep up with for the money, until then I hope the Mark 4 6-20 will hold me over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As an FYI, in the future you should consider box testing on a larger target using more adjustment. Errors rarely show up inside such a small box, a minimum of 20 inches or about 6 Mils should be used to highlight any potential problems.

</div></div>Thanks Frank. I actually did do a lot more testing ,but I didn't think to actually document or take pictures until I was already home and it was getting late(Sunday evening). I will try to do another maybe this weekend, in between chambering a couple of new barrels of mine. If not this weekend I will get to it next weekend. I guess I could of posted about the other testing ,but I figured with out pics people would be skeptical so this little box test is all I have for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hows the eye relief on it? Might just be me but from the pics it looks like it's mounted a little far back. </div></div>Thats just how I like my scopes. I get directly behind the gun and maybe I dont have much of a neck
confused.gif
, but the eye relief is great. There is really not much that I have found, if anything, that I dont like about these scopes.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a target big enough to put enough elevation on for as far as I intend to shoot that particular rifle and load. That way, if the scope doesn't have enough elevation, I know it before I try to shoot very far.
</div></div>

Lindy, I think I understand what you're saying but it seems a bit impractical to do a box test with that much adjustment unless you do the box test at long ranges. For instance, I need about 11.1 mils at 1000yds for my .308. So are you saying I should do an 11 mil box test? That would reguire a HUGE target at 100 or even 200 yds. And if you move the range out much beyond 2-300 yds, I would think there would be too many other variables introduced (wind, shooter, etc) that might make the box test look worse than it is.

Other option is to run the BT @ 50yds and use a 20 inch target.

Lindy, I just skim read your article, great info and thanks for posting.

A lot of guys keep asking for some through the scope pics. Well I finally got around to it today and here they are. These pics are of the 6-24x50 FFP mil at 6x and 24x.

6x
viper-pst_6-25x50_mil-low.jpg

24x
viper-pst_6-25x50_mil-high.jpg

The production reticles will be numbered 2,4,6 and so on.

Scott

damnit!!!!! i cant seem them from work!!! I cant wait to go home. Vortex is really getting quite the reputation. I find myself excited about these scopes too!!

Scott, is the subtension of the reticle on the 4-16 the same as the 6-24 or is the 4-16 thicker due to it being lower power?

Jason

I just got off the phone with Vortex today. The information was no-BS, which is the way I like it. I was glad to get a straight assessment of the optics, and given that the customer service has thus far been WAAAYYY better than I've ever had from another (to be left unnamed) major tactical scope manufacturer, I decided that the Viper PST was for me.
Got on the pre-order at SWFA for my PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, is the subtension of the reticle on the 4-16 the same as the 6-24 or is the 4-16 thicker due to it being lower power?</div></div>
It's thicker on the 4-16.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, is the subtension of the reticle on the 4-16 the same as the 6-24 or is the 4-16 thicker due to it being lower power?

Jason </div></div>

Jason,
The 6-24 FFP mil is .04mils and the 4-16 is .06. I would have done the 4-16 also ,but I don't currently have access to one.

Scott