• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Cleaning and Annealing for Sniper's Hide Members !!!

Re: Brass cleaning and annealing 12-13-12 UPDATE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For .05 per case it would almost be worth my decapping the cases that I have already primed and are waiting to load. Guess I'll have to wait till next time as decapping live primers makes some folks understandably uncomfortable. </div></div>

If it wasn't taboo to ship the primers via the mail, I'd tell you to just box them up for me. I've decapped hundreds of live ones with nary a pop. But I understand one's concern.

And fellas, the normal .10/case isn't <span style="font-style: italic"> unreasonable</span>....is it?
wink.gif

Fellas, I'm getting flak from the Post Office. Some of you are overfilling these boxes to the point that they are splitting open in transit.
box_zps37adfbd0.jpg

Fortunately, this one had the cases in sealed bags so no brass was lost. If you need to send two boxes, please send TWO BOXES!

Also, it would be a big help to write your name on each sealed bag and write your Hide screen name somewhere on the outside of the package.

Thanks for your time.

Killshot, I am new to reloading but will for sure use you for all my cleaning and annealing needs. I have a few questions, if I get new brass should I have it annealed before I load it for the first time and how often do you recomend this process be done? My primary is a 300 win mag if that makes a differance and I just got 500 FC cases. Thanks.

I posted this in your GB thread but I dont think you have seen it yet.

I had Killshot do 750 pieces of .308 and 300 pieces of 300BLK last month, and it just made me mad that I had not done this before. I was just about to drop $250 for all the stainless tumbling stuff when I saw this thread and decided to give it a try. The brass I sent him had all been shot through suppressed gas guns and it was filthy. I was dreading the thought of cleaning all of it, and since it was on it's 4th firing, I had made up my mind that I was going to spend a few evenings annealing as well.

The money spent on this service is nothing compared to to the time savings, to say nothing of the money savings from the extended life of the brass.

I'm trying to collect another 1,000 pieces of .223 so I can send them to Killshot to work his magic on.

I can't say enough for the quality of the work that Killshot does!

-Shaky

Re: Brass cleaning and annealing

Thanks, guys. The half-price special was a big hit.

I ran across another service doing this work, for .30 per case.....I'll be keeping my regular price of .10 per case for the foreseeable future.

Re: Brass cleaning and annealing

Gentlemen, I have increased the cost of doing the largest centerfire cases to .25/case. This is only for cases with caseheads larger than .535", this primarily affects those with .338 Lapuas.
Given that the cost of new .338L cases is more than $2.50 each, I think the .25 for reconditioning is still fair.

Additionally, the Post Office just changed the prices for Priority Mail shipments; the Small box now goes for $5.80, the Medium for $12.35 and the Large for $16.85.
However, the cost now includes Tracking Numbers that are automatically included with the Priority Mail postage.

Considering how much weight is normally involved, these rates are way less than normal Parcel Post or UPS would be.

Thanks again for all your continued business.

Bob

got the brass back today , looks great!.
guys if your are on the fence about sending killshot44 your brass DO IT!.
i sent brass with different head stamps bagged separately and it came back that way as requested, and came back way sooner then
i thought it would(almost like he was at the door waiting on it to get it done),i'm
one very happy customer and will not hesitate to send more. thanks again.

... it came back that way as requested, and came back way sooner then I thought it would
almost like he was at the door waiting on it to get it done....
How'd you know?

Not being able to work sucks...and I can't hit the range every day.:p

Current orders get a 1, at most 2, day turnaround. Send me your brass!

Bob

I'm just wondering, is the charge increase for 338lm because they take that much longer to do or just because it's an expensive case

It is strictly a time/cost issue as relates to depriming the cases. (cases that are sent already decapped will get the .10/case charge)

I use several different "universal" decapping dies to de-prime cases without sizing the case. Presently, no one makes a decapping die that is both long and wide enough for the .338Lapua and other cases with a casehead bigger than .532". So these cases must be decapped manually, with a tool I had made that doesn't bugger-up the case side of the primer-pocket hole.
Another of my dies has a .059" pin to decap Lapua small primer cases like 6BR.

my brother had a C5 in that color a few years back. I love me some Vettes.

I know the question was asked, but didn't see a reply...so I'm gonna ask as well. Should this be done on every firing? What is the standard for max case life? Been loading for decades, but new to the Lapua...

What is your recommendation?

Thank you.

Any discount for deprimed .308?

I missed the Xmas special. :)

I know the question was asked, but didn't see a reply...so I'm gonna ask as well. Should this be done on every firing? What is the standard for max case life? Been loading for decades, but new to the Lapua...

What is your recommendation?

I use the SS media to clean after every firing. When to anneal is driven more by your chamber and dies....
If you're shooting a factory chamber with generous clearances and head-space coupled with a non-bushing full-length sizing die the brass will become work-hardened far faster than if you're shooting a chamber made with a custom reamer by a gunsmith with tight clearances and minimal head-space and you're using a bushing-die (neck or full length) for sizing.

Generally speaking, 3-4 firings.

Bob...got the brass back and looks great!! Outstanding job and will be a repeat customer. The brass looks damn near as good as brand new!! 1 week turn around from shipped to back at my door.

Thanks Again~ Clint

I use the SS media to clean after every firing. When to anneal is driven more by your chamber and dies....
If you're shooting a factory chamber with generous clearances and head-space coupled with a non-bushing full-length sizing die the brass will become work-hardened far faster than if you're shooting a chamber made with a custom reamer by a gunsmith with tight clearances and minimal head-space and you're using a bushing-die (neck or full length) for sizing.

Generally speaking, 3-4 firings.

Great information! Thank you for the reply.

Alright, it should be shooting weather everywhere by now....

Send that poor, tired brass for a good cleaning and annealing!

I think Ill be sending you about 100pcs of 6Creed brass come august. Ill clean & deprime them so it would cost me .07 per?

I'm in the middle of a 5,000 case order. It looks like these are firing-range pickups.

I thought these photos of before and after cleaning with stainless media were pretty telling.
SAM_0066_zpsdc4b74d3.jpg

SAM_0068_zpsbd5c0fec.jpg

Now I just have to pull up a chair for a marathon annealing session.

Bump for August.

For those who need it, the address to ship to is
Bob Ariana
173 Doray Drive
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523-2949

I just got another order back from Bob and the cases look GREAT. Quit waiting, and send him your brass for a refurbish...you may win that next competition as a result of even neck tension & Perty brass ;). Thanks Bob!

However my eyes still need new glasses, as the last two orders I've managed to send in a couple of oddball cases with the good ones, and this is AFTER I sorted them. I better visit the optometrist! :cool:

Last edited:
Hey thanks.
I know all of the guys I shoot against are annealing.
Just something we have to do to squeeze that Nth degree of accuracy out of these buggers.

Plus it makes these spendy Lapua cases last a lot longer. ;)

Bob

I'm now using the USPS online service and self-printing the postage at the shop reduces the cost of the Return Shipping.

The cost for the Return Trip (to include with your payment) is
$5.25 for a Small box,
$11.30 for a Medium box,
$15.80 for the Large box.
ETA: 1/31/14: Post Office increased the prices of Small & Large boxes.

It's not a huge discount but it's something.

Send me your poor, old, tired brass and I'll bring them back to life.

Last edited:
Killshot,

I have an assortment of Lapua 260 brass, some has 2 firings and others have 4 and 6 firings on them. If you anneal them could I combine them into one batch and not have accuracy issues by shoting the different worked cases together.

Killshot,

I have an assortment of Lapua 260 brass, some has 2 firings and others have 4 and 6 firings on them. If you anneal them could I combine them into one batch and not have accuracy issues by shoting the different worked cases together.

Grant,
It really depends.....unless you're running a known-to-be-light load I would want to keep the two lots separate. The biggest issue isn't the necks going bad but the casehead separating from the bottom and the primer pockets getting loose. Once I see 5% of a "lot" with those two defects I'll toss the whole lot.

December bump....

Too cold to shoot? It's never too cold to get ready for next season.
Brass prep, new barrels and new loads?

Send me that tired, dirty brass and get off to a fresh start in 2014.
Much cheaper than buying new.

If you have the time/interest, sell me on annealing. I've been reloading for year now and have never annealed. i only reload 308 and I only shoot it in my bolt gun. I typically only neck size unless I pick up range brass. What does annealing do? why is it necessary?

Also, if you ever need more SS media... I'm your guy haha

If you have the time/interest, sell me on annealing. I've been reloading for year now and have never annealed. i only reload 308 and I only shoot it in my bolt gun. I typically only neck size unless I pick up range brass. What does annealing do? why is it necessary?

As brass is fired and expands to seal the chamber, the case's dimensions get larger. The brass springs back from the chamber walls allowing extraction. When the case is resized by the die the brass is "worked". Each of these cycles of expansion and sizing down will actually change the molucular structure of the brass making it stiffer. As the case is work-hardened the brass doesn't "take" the sizing from the sizing die.

The annealing process heats the brass to a temperature where the brass's structure "relaxes" (for lack of a better description), returning it to a softer form. We do this primarily to maintain a desired neck tension. Hardened brass also can cause extraction issues.

How often to anneal depends on several factors but if you're shooting a factory-chambered gun and using non-bushing dies the brass is getting worked more on each cycle than if you're shooting a custom-reamer-chambered gun and using bushing dies to control neck tension.

Got ten bucks? Send me a hundred cases for treatment and see if you don't see a difference on-target.

As brass is fired and expands to seal the chamber, the case's dimensions get larger. The brass springs back from the chamber walls allowing extraction. When the case is resized by the die the brass is "worked". Each of these cycles of expansion and sizing down will actually change the molucular structure of the brass making it stiffer. As the case is work-hardened the brass doesn't "take" the sizing from the sizing die.

The annealing process heats the brass to a temperature where the brass's structure "relaxes" (for lack of a better description), returning it to a softer form. We do this primarily to maintain a desired neck tension. Hardened brass also can cause extraction issues.

How often to anneal depends on several factors but if you're shooting a factory-chambered gun and using non-bushing dies the brass is getting worked more on each cycle than if you're shooting a custom-reamer-chambered gun and using bushing dies to control neck tension.

Got ten bucks? Send me a hundred cases for treatment and see if you don't see a difference on-target.

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation. I'll probably send some over your way.

Okay, Gentlemen, it's January and that means it's time to get your brass ready for the coming year.

To thank all that have used my service and to better entice any fence-sitters who've been thinking about doing it,
I'm offering a No-Return Shipping Special.

All orders of more than 300 rounds will have the return USPS charges WAIVED !

I haven't set an date that the offer will be closed but the thread will be updated several days beforehand.

Please PM me prior to shipping to let me know what's coming. Please include your "Hide" name with your order. Please tape the box securely, use strong bags for the brass (freezer bags, not snack ones) and let me know if any same-caliber lots need to be kept separate.

Money Orders with the brass or PayPal upon shipment to [email protected].

Ship to
Bob Ariana
173 Doray Drive

Okay, Gentlemen, it's January and that means it's time to get your brass ready for the coming year.

To thank all that have used my service and to better entice any fence-sitters who've been thinking about doing it,
I'm offering a No-Return Shipping Special.

All orders of more than 300 rounds will have the return USPS charges WAIVED !

I haven't set an date that the offer will be closed but the thread will be updated several days beforehand.

Please PM me prior to shipping to let me know what's coming. Please include your "Hide" name with your order. Please tape the box securely, use strong bags for the brass (freezer bags, not snack ones) and let me know if any same-caliber lots need to be kept separate.

Money Orders with the brass or PayPal upon shipment to [email protected].

Ship to
Bob Ariana
173 Doray Drive

How often do you recommend Lapua .308 brass be annealed? (non-hot loads)
Thanks!

How often to anneal depends on several factors, but if you're shooting a factory-chambered gun and using non-bushing dies the brass is getting worked more on each cycle than if you're shooting a custom-reamer-chambered gun and using bushing dies to control neck tension.

Generally speaking? Four to five times fired.

How often to anneal depends on several factors, but if you're shooting a factory-chambered gun and using non-bushing dies the brass is getting worked more on each cycle than if you're shooting a custom-reamer-chambered gun and using bushing dies to control neck tension.

Generally speaking? Four to five times fired.

Thanks brother! I'm using the Lee collet die.