• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Broke the LabRadar AGAIN !

Two Box Chrono arrived today , will be out on Wednesday with it
SH_HD_twobox-1.jpg
SH_HD_twobox-2.jpg

Super small footprint which I like

Let us know how this performs, i was too thinking about moving to a LR. But where I shoot at my local gun range the wind can be very brutal at times.

I could not get a single reading out of the Two Box... Set it up according to the directions, nothing.

Maybe I was shooting two far, I had it exactly 11ft in front of the muzzle and lined up. But I was shooting out beyond 1000 yards so I am wondering if that had something to do with it.

I am gonna write them to see what I was doing wrong ?

Waiting for the resolution...
Honestly, the pdf instructions made it seem very touchy to setup 'just-so'.

I guess I'll be waiting a couple of years until the LR gets thier stuff together, or until a competitor shows up with an improved product.

Concerning the MS, why oh why can't they make a monitor housing that doesn't feel like it came from the drive through at McDonalds? We are paying $350+ for the V3 and $179 for the Sport. Do they seriously believe that this is an acceptable level of quality at this price point?! I broke the housing on mine the first time it ever went to the range. The box is now held together by rubber bands.

The good thing is that it has never failed. The electronics are wonderfully durable and accurate, which is why I still have it and use it. It still pisses me off. It would take an extra $1 per unit maybe not even that, to make this thing solid.

Agreed. It's too bad you can't use the XFR app in lieu of the monitor

I've used my LR a few dozen times.
I assumed since the day it arrived that, since is it a radar transceiver, it has delicate electronics inside. It has not bounced it off the ground yet so I can't attest to its impact resistance.

Of course it acts like a sail in the wind, it's relatively light and has large cross-sectional area; it needs to be mounted low on a wide base, and the base (tripod) may need to be counterweighted if it's high enough. It was not cheap so I'm careful with it. I'm also careful when connecting the external battery... I've seen plenty of electronics with internal jacks that have come loose, laptops, phones, etc., some of them also expensive.

I had a Steinert (so-called) SuperChrono that didn't work worth a crap, several opticals that worked okay but were a PITA to setup (especially when you have to wait for the range to go cold to make even a minor tweak), and the LR. The LR has never failed to return a reading when setup properly, can be setup behind the firing line while the range is hot, and does not affect POI at all.

It must be aligned properly to capture data and I've had it occasionally triggered by nearby braked rifles, but it's possible I could tune that out with the sensitivity setting if it became a real issue.

What I'm trying to say is the LR may not be the best choice depending on how you plan to use it, but if you can handle it like a sensitive instrument, it may work out for you.

Last edited:
Got it sort of working but I have been traveling for 2 weeks, Washington for the SH Team Challenge and back to back classes in AK.

I clarified some stuff with Adam and have to make the appropriate adjustments to my set up.

This week I will be out again with it

I'm feeling much better about my magnetospeed these days. I think we are on the cusp of a quantum leap in chrono technology so some of these devices will get better with time......

Franks's new handle:

Chrono Killa

What I'm trying to say is the LR may not be the best choice depending on how you plan to use it, but if you can handle it like a sensitive instrument, it may work out for you.

Agreed. For sure, it needs to be updated to make it more durable, but shooters will see Frank's threads and know before they buy that it's fragile. We've only used ours shooting prone and set it up low so we've had no issues even on high wind days. Lately, I've been splaying the tripod legs wider than shown in the picture below due to this thread.

Last edited:
I'm fed up with products that fit into the "not quite right" category....but are marketed to be end all be all answer. I've had similar results with the LR that Frank's experiencing. Hopeful the 2 Box doesn't end up in the "not quite right" category. I was waiting on impartial review of it before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Triplebull, what tripod is that in your picture?

It's a small Manfrotto. I don't think they make that exact unit anymore but it's similar to this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mkbfrc4_bhz_befree_compact_travel_carbon.html

You can rotate plugs on top of the legs to control the angle of the legs. In the photo, it is in the taller mode. Recently I moved to the broader angle setting to avoid wind knocking it over. The head I'm using is also Manfrotto:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217460-REG/manfrotto_460mg_3d_magnesium_head.html

This rig was bought for doing photomontages in the back country to keep weight down as it's too flimsy for "real" work. But it's fine for the LR.

So I got a Labradar last week and took it out this weekend to use for the first time. I put it on the base that I bought with it and set up all the information in the menu. I pointed it at the target and started shooting, worked perfect from the first shot. In fact it revealed a problem I have been having with collecting data on my new 6 Creedmoor. Shooting 110's and using the velocity I was getting from my Magnetospeed Sporter, I couldnt true the velocity to my real world dope at further distances. The Labrader was reading on average about 25 FPS faster though.....which actually trues out with my DOPE out past 700 yards. So I am thinking my Labradar is more accurate.

I put 5 shots down range and I hear "CRASH"!

I hadn't properly tightened down the ball head on the mounting base and the unit tipped forward and fell off the bench and landed face first on the gravel. CRAP!!

Luckily it didnt do anything to it, I set it back up and kept shooting and it works perfectly still.

From now on I will be shooting it laying prone on the ground.

It's a small Manfrotto. I don't think they make that exact unit anymore but it's similar to this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mkbfrc4_bhz_befree_compact_travel_carbon.html

You can rotate plugs on top of the legs to control the angle of the legs. In the photo, it is in the taller mode. Recently I moved to the broader angle setting to avoid wind knocking it over. The head I'm using is also Manfrotto:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217460-REG/manfrotto_460mg_3d_magnesium_head.html

This rig was bought for doing photomontages in the back country to keep weight down as it's too flimsy for "real" work. But it's fine for the LR.

Based on all the problems listed out in this thread, you must be living a charmed life!

I'm still waiting for someone like Caldwell to bring something to market similar to the LR with 80% of the functionality for 1/3 the price.

Until then, I'm sticking with my Magnetospeed.

I was about to order a Labradar but I'm hardly a delicate person with gear. Not now. Wow, no telling how many unit sales have been lost .

I was about to order a Labradar but I'm hardly a delicate person with gear. Not now. Wow, no telling how many unit sales have been lost .

Yep, pretty much the same thing here. I'll be waiting for a gen II better built model.

That's unfortunate news, so far I haven't had any real problems with mine aside not wanting to record subsonic 22's without the mic, however mine's only been to the range a handful of times and is hasn't taken any drops. I was a bit disappointed in the archery function, just because I use a chrono in the workshop to tune bows quite a bit and it won't function in that environment. When I asked LR about it, they said they recommend at least 35-40' for archery and it needs to have a soft non-reflective background.

It's fairly clear once you get one that it's not made super heavy duty, the connectors don't feel very solid. Though really a kestrel doesn't feel that heavy duty and I used those for field work for years, they take a beating. The casing on the LR seems okay, it must just be the internals that need hardening. I had hoped by now that we'd have seen a firmware update that allowed for bluetooth functionality, now that people are finding they need to put it in front of the muzzle for some guns, it needs a remote interface that doesn't force the shooter in front of the muzzle. It's probably not a good sign that the website "news" area has not been updated for almost a year now. Usually with a new technology like this you'd expect very frequent firmware updates, and new functionality (especially with the untapped bluetooth hardware already in there).

If I had it to do over again I'm not sure if I'd get the LR again or the MS, the LR can be very nice when it works, but it's also finicky about setup, environment, and weapon, and I still need a separate archery chrono. The MS just works, but it can alter POI so you end up shooting for groups, and shooting for chrono data, you can't do both at once, and it's more work to use across different guns. I'm sure I would not give LR more $ if they came out with a new version unless it was really well tested in the field first, I just haven't been that impressed with this one.

So this thread is a tad old but there has been zero improvements to the LabRadar for durability in gathering. I would love to find a chrono for rifle and pistol but no such luck.

Is it the consensus that I need to purchase two separate units. The magnospeed has a pistol attachment but never had luck.

What to do.

So this thread is a tad old but there has been zero improvements to the LabRadar for durability in gathering. I would love to find a chrono for rifle and pistol but no such luck.

Is it the consensus that I need to purchase two separate units. The magnospeed has a pistol attachment but never had luck.

What to do.
Buy the Labradar and just use some care that it doesn't get knocked around. I've got two optical units, plus a MS3, and the LR is the only one I use. With a little care, you can make sure it doesn't get slammed on the ground. But if you do screw up, it's not like they can't fix it. If you're running it off a bench or prone, this is a non-issue anyway. It's only when you get it up high that it becomes a concern.

The Labradar is a sail with enough wind, especially if the wind angle and Labradar angle line up to push the tripod toward the space between legs.

I can't help make the Labradar sturdier, but I can relate some things we do with cameras to make our tripod setups sturdier (vibration is a bitch, especially when we're talking about shooting with super-telephoto lenses at slow shutter speeds, or other very heavy rigs). Heavy is your friend - yeah, you have to hump it around. If it blows over in the slightest breeze, it's not useful, so there's a balance there. But... you can make a tripod heavier by simply hanging your bag on it. That's why you see tripods with hooks on the bottom of the center platform (I added one to my Gitzo tripod a decade ago for exactly this purpose).

Keeping it lower helps, too, but obviously there's only so much you can do.

Reactions: LastShot300
The engineers need to design a new aerodynamic case maybe a boatail design to help cure this wind sail issue.

Reactions: TheOE800
A guy that shoots with us down here has made a simple stand for his LR, using a heavy piece of 1/4" steel plate, 4 bolts with adjusting nuts on the corners for legs and a short piece of aluminum round drilled through with a bolt shoved through it for mounting to the bottom of the LR. Was cheap, works great and is solid as all get out. If I had a LR, I would do something similar.

Reactions: Rprecision
I love the crap out of mine. So easy to set up and use. Even works for my pellet guns. No chance of shooting the bastard because you forgot to adjust for scope height or something, plus you can confirm the BC on bullets easily. I bought a base from this guy that works awesome: https://arkcomachine.com/

I have used mine in sustained 20-25 with gusts to 30-35 mph. In a tripod low to the ground and legs splayed out wide it worked just fine and never came close to tipping over. I certainly wouldn’t be setting it up for standing or even sitting height, luckily I do most my load work ups prone so it’s a none issue there.

I love the crap out of mine. So easy to set up and use. Even works for my pellet guns. No chance of shooting the bastard because you forgot to adjust for scope height or something, plus you can confirm the BC on bullets easily. I bought a base from this guy that works awesome: https://arkcomachine.com/

I will second this base. I bought it awhile ago and swapped the LR base for this base and it is more stable for sure.

Haha that is pretty cool for sure!! I may have to look into those as I have some milkwaukee stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

Yep, pretty much the same thing here. I'll be waiting for a gen II better built model.

Well, I forgot about the above post ha ha. I have since recanted my position about waiting for a gen II version (if indeed that EVER happens). I finally just got tired of the POI issues with the MS. Couldn't be happier with the Labradar, it hasn't missed a beat since I got it and it's been used alot.

After six solid years with my LR, mines finally let go it’s guts last night while packing it in my range box. I was gonna say, fuck it, get another one. But then since it still turned on even with rattle, I decided to dissect it and see what I can do. Well….

IMG_0313.jpegIMG_0314.jpegIMG_0315.jpegIMG_0319.jpegIMG_0317.jpegIMG_0318.jpegIMG_0321.jpegIMG_0323.jpegIMG_0324.jpegIMG_0325.jpegIMG_0326.jpegIMG_0330.jpeg
And it still worked after that.

I have the LabRadar. Before I purchased it I was on the fence about getting it or the Magnetospeed.

The issue that I had with the Magnetospeed was the POI shift. I didn't want to contend with that. I also needed something that would measure the velocity of the projectile down range.

For example, I shoot a Sharps 45-70 and swage my own bullets. The only way that I can get a start on figuring out what the B/C of the bullet is by measuring the velocity down range. The Magnetospeed won't do that.

I got around the battery problems by using an external battery pack that will last me all day long.

Someone, mentioned the interference problem earlier. That sucks with the LabRadar; especially with a lot of other shooters firing their rifles, giving you anomalies and false readings.

There is also electronic interference. There are houses near the range that I belong to. Someone is doing something with some electronics that causes the device to sense gunfire. I can't figure out what, exactly, is causing it.

I got around that with a separate trigger. I can't remember if the gentleman making this is a member of SH or not. Regardless, this saved me a lot of trouble. One caveat to the trigger. It senses vibration. So deactivate the LabRadar when chambering the round and extracting the brass.

When ready to fire, activate the LabRadar.

Some folks will still criticize the LabRadar for the aforementioned limitations and rightfully so. But to keep this in perspective, it was better than what I had before. That was a chronograph with sky screens. And before that, I had to rely on what the ammo manufacturer wrote on the box or what my reloading manual said.

I may get a Magnetospeed one day but for now, the LabRadar fills my need even with the limitations mentioned.

Reactions: lash
After six solid years with my LR, mines finally let go it’s guts last night while packing it in my range box. I was gonna say, fuck it, get another one. But then since it still turned on even with rattle, I decided to dissect it and see what I can do. Well….

View attachment 8174090View attachment 8174091View attachment 8174092View attachment 8174093View attachment 8174094View attachment 8174095View attachment 8174096View attachment 8174097View attachment 8174098View attachment 8174099View attachment 8174100View attachment 8174101
That’s good work right there! A quality repair after my own heart.

View attachment 8174090View attachment 8174091View attachment 8174092View attachment 8174093View attachment 8174094View attachment 8174095View attachment 8174096View attachment 8174097View attachment 8174098View attachment 8174099View attachment 8174100View attachment 8174101
I’ll be sending mines to you for repair lol nice fix

• Haha
Reactions: Rhed and lash