• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Broken SAKO TRG22 Bolt Release Pin UPDATE

cshank

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
[[[UPDATE]]]
I think one of the calls I put in to either Beretta service/warranty or their parts / supply number paid off because I had a replacement part waiting for me in an envelope today. No accompanying documentation though so I don't know who at Beretta sent it. This goes a long way to building my confidence in their support. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread... best part is I was at a friends house who is the shop foreman at LAR/Grizzly making a replacement pin when I got the call from my wife that the envelope was in our mailbox.

((original post below))

Gents, I'm posting this as my current experience with the Sako TRG22s status of repair parts availability. I'd also like some advice/ideas on a work around for a broken Bolt Release Pin.

I've got a year and 1/2 old Sako TRG22 with about 1470 rounds through it. In a match on Saturday my bolt release/catch failed during a stage, with my bolt falling onto my shooting mat in front of me. I had to complete the remaining stages of the match that day with a non functioning bolt stop.

Disassembly of the weapon and removal of the remaining pieces of pin showed it had sheared into 3 parts. The big bummer is that the pin has a threaded head, and slightly smaller diameter pin which holds the bolt release / stop in place. So I'm not sure I can just fabricate my own replacement out of a drill bit.

I exhaustively have searched for the replacement part (10 bucks) with no luck. S3351213 (Sako Part No)
913-400-100 (*Backordered)
Pin, Bolt Release, M995, Trg

Today I called Brownells (Beretta's designated Sako parts supplier) who told me it was back ordered until November, as are a good number of other critical TRG service parts apparently (extractor service kit, trigger service parts kit,etc. They suggested I speak with Beretta which I did. The Beretta parts department guy told me that that's too bad, and to call either Brownells or Midwest Gun Works and order the part on back-order and hope I get it eventually. Midwest told me they would not sell me the part direct without shipping the entire weapon to them for service and they don't typically stock the parts anyway and would experience the same wait I am for the part.

Beretta's repair / service support told me that at the discretion of their "service manager" they might cover it under warranty and send me the part (I'm waiting to hear back).

So, I'm left with paying a gun smith to come up with a work around or coming up with a work around myself if I want to shoot the gun in my remaining matches and practice sessions between now and November when the part supposedly materializes form Finland. I might as well purchase the over priced firing pin replacement kit, extractor kit and trigger repair kit while I have the chance as who knows when these too might fail and be unavailable.

I also am left with the knowledge / sinking feeling that I've got a gun not treated seriously in terms of repair parts supply and support by Beretta.

After this, I may also be inclined to post pictures of my cracked TRG-22 stock from back in December which took Beretta 2 tries to replace over the course of a month (got one replacement that was someone else's broken RMA) ... I was grateful for the help from Alex at Euro-Optic to intercede and get a VP from Beretta to call me, but that too was a horrid experience and made me question my Sako purchase.

FudWacked

Re: Broken SAKO TRG22 Bolt Release Pin

Damn, best of luck. Sorry to hear that Sako isn't stepping up, that really is sad, in this competitive market.

Can you post a pic of the broken part? I would be interested in seeing it.

I'll post pics from home as well of my cracked stock pics from December. No return call from Beretta service dpt after my discussion with them at 10am MDT. Will update if I ever hear back on that as well.

I'll ask Zunrj5 to post on here in a bit. He has had this problem, although it appears you've found the replacement part. All it is, is a metric screw that has had part of it turned down. In a pinch, you could measure the non threaded diameter and order a replacement from McMaster Carr.
Justin

Sorry for the crap photo, recharging my DSLR for a better pic, in the mean time you can see, 3 pieces of the pin. I'll post the measurements later.

photo1-M.jpg

And here is a pic of the broken stock from back in December, I'll post some better pics later. Crack is the diagonal fracture you see in the rear TRG stock.

photo4-L.jpg

I'd also like to know what the community thoughts are on the durability of a bolt stop pin in a weapon system that is deployed with armed forces... I've got just around 1500 rounds through this gun, so I'm surprised that the bolt stop pin didn't last longer. Are my expectations unrealistic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FUDwacked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd also like to know what the community thoughts are on the durability of a bolt stop pin in a weapon system that is deployed with armed forces... I've got just around 1500 rounds through this gun, so I'm surprised that the bolt stop pin didn't last longer. Are my expectations unrealistic?

</div></div>

Depends. Is this a fluke failure or is it a known issue that has happened to others? Even the best made firearms will experience occasional problems. What I find more disturbing is the difficulty you are experiencing getting replacement parts.

Re: Broken SAKO TRG22 Bolt Release Pin (updated pics)

Pics of the broken RMA stock from December : hard to show, but in last pic notice the finger wear above where the crack is. It was a used stock, and there was no excuse for having one sent to me as a repair / replacement part.

O2G1876-M.jpg

O2G1878-M.jpg

O2G1898-M.jpg

I broke the bolt stop pin on my TRG 260 already, those screws might be over heat treated and brittle. Made a new pin out of a drill bit. Don't recall the size but was a pretty nice fit. I left it long enough to grab the end with plyers for removal and it is captured by the mounting rail against falling out.

Are you concerned that the pin you made will smash up the threading in the frame so your unable to use the proper pin if and when they ever come available?

I have spoken to a gun smith locally that has worked on my AR's and we are going to try turning down a metric screw if the thread pitch is correct on the one he has.

Oh, and I assume you bought from Alex... did you let him know?

I just purchased a TRG-22 from Alex. I had been concerned about the stock issue I had read about and communicated same to Alex. He made me feel at ease in that in his view it would be unlikely I'd see the issue and that if I did he'd be sure to take care of me. Dealing with Alex is a top-notch experience with a top-notch vendor.

However, Sako and Beretta ought to get their act together and take care of their customers. That seeming indifference to a customer's difficulties with their product certainly does not inspire customer loyalty.

I hate to see my fears confirmed. Their accessories are high priced. And repair parts and service scarce.

I stayed with American made.

During my fiasco with the stock, Alex got a hold of someone higher up at Beretta and got the situation resolved. He was the only positive aspect of that experience. I hope that he considers putting some pressure on Beretta to get this parts situation taken seriously. ETA November for a number of critical parts doesn't build my confidence in the company at all. Do a search for various TRG parts out of your manual at Brownells. Extractor kit? Out of Stock. Trigger spare parts? Out of stock. Good luck if you lose a pin or spring or screw, your gonna have to go out on your own and have one made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a TRG-22 from Alex. I had been concerned about the stock issue I had read about and communicated same to Alex. He made me feel at ease in that in his view it would be unlikely I'd see the issue and that if I did he'd be sure to take care of me. Dealing with Alex is a top-notch experience with a top-notch vendor.

However, Sako and Beretta ought to get their act together and take care of their customers. That seeming indifference to a customer's difficulties with their product certainly does not inspire customer loyalty. </div></div>

This thread is making my decision of whether to go with a TRG or an AI a lot easier.

—Andreas

I contacted Sako about the problem and to see if maybe we could get a bunch of spares. We'll see what they say, if anything.

TRG's are growing in popularity, so problems are bound to come up here and there, it's still a great rifle and most are trouble free.
Justin

Even with that little $2 screw breaking, I'm not going to condem either one of my 22s,

$10.00 if you get it from Brownells, if you get the whole kit, pin, spring and lever, its over 70 bucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even with that little $2 screw breaking, I'm not going to condem either one of my 22s, </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have my TRG22 yet (arriving next week) and I went ahead and ordered two of the "Pin, Bolt Release, M995, Trg". If this turn out to be a problem for me in the future, $20 to have a couple of them on hand is worth it. Hopefully I won't need one before November
smile.gif

Thanks Massoud, this would be outstanding. It would be very nice if we had the common broken parts available again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I contacted Sako about the problem and to see if maybe we could get a bunch of spares. We'll see what they say, if anything.

TRG's are growing in popularity, so problems are bound to come up here and there, it's still a great rifle and most are trouble free.
Justin </div></div>

UPDATE:

Someone at Beretta came through for me in a big way! When I got home today, I had a nice surprise in the mail... a replacement pin. I'm still concerned that this and several parts are back-ordered until November, but this went a long way to boost my confidence in Beretta/Sako support. The confusing aspect is I'm not sure if this came from Beretta service or from their parts ordering folks as there was no accompanying invoice, or other information, so the only thing I can suggest to the guy with the .260 TRG is to put in a call to both Beretta service dpt and their parts number.

I gotta say, big thanks to whoever it was at Beretta that came through for me.

Fud...

Is there a known reason why the stocks are cracking? For instance from the over torqing of hex head screws.

FUD, glad to hear customer service came through for you!

Massoud and I have been considering this issue for a while now (it has happened to me twice). What we'd like to know is would you guys be interested in a KRG "solution" for this issue?

-John

Glad to hear someone at Beretta seems to care.

Regarding the stock issue, what is the actual cause? I'd be interested in hearing about that.

KRG folks - I'd certainly consider a possible preventative measure if it was available.

Mine was not over torqued, although it is also fair to point out there are no torque specifications in the manual, when tightening the two bolts that clamp the stock to the aluminum chassis, I hand tighten with a short hex key instead of using one with a handle or extension for this very reason. I did not fall on my stock either (nor use it as a pull up bar).

Now, I can tell you that the stock went from freezing temperatures to warm the day it cracked. I can share the info I received at the time after discussing with the higher up at Beretta that called me to fix the situation after receiving the replacement stock which was also a cracked / used return. Essentially it came down to stocks that had been made during a certain period / production run. I have no idea if this information has changed nor if it was in fact the true root cause, but there were several others at the time who also had cracked green stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ronas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a known reason why the stocks are cracking? For instance from the over torqing of hex head screws. </div></div>

Re: Broken SAKO TRG22 Bolt Release Pin UPDATE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FUDwacked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[[[UPDATE]]]
The big bummer is that the pin has a threaded head, and slightly smaller diameter pin which holds the bolt release / stop in place.

I might as well purchase the over priced firing pin replacement kit, extractor kit and trigger repair kit while I have the chance as who knows when these too might fail and be unavailable.
</div></div>

i havent taken the pin out of my gun yet, but i did but the bolt stop kit from brownells a while back. it took about 3 months to get. i figured it would be nice to keep in the tackle box for emergencies.

the kit i received came with 3 parts...the bolt stop, a spring, and a pin.

i just looked at it last night and its still in the plastic bag, but it looked like just a plain 'ole smooth stainless pin about an inch long or so and and maybe around 3/32 diameter.

im a little confused about you "threaded part," as just a quick look i didnt notice any threading on the pin.

also, like you said, i did also purchase the extractor kit. it actually came with two extractors, a roll pin, and a few other pins/plunger looking things. im thinking one extractor may be for the 22 and the other for the 42? regardless, it looks a little beyond my skill level to rebuild, so it would have to go to the smith.

and yup, also purchased the firing pin kit, and a complete spare trigger. i need to take the firing pin out and make sure its the same and fits, etc.

as for the replacement trigger, it looks the same except the bar the actual trigger bolts to is stainless unlike the black finish on the stock rifle. i put it in to make sure it was the same, fit, functioned, etc...and it did perfectly.

just a little pissed i spend 450 bucks on a trigger assembly and it isnt exactly like the one in you gun.

brownells can get all the stuff. i had everything in about 3 months, except for a spare bolt handle which took about 5 months to get. the cancelled my order and wasnt even sure i was ever gonna get it at one point.

as many of these rifles there are out there, it would be nice to have a stocking distributor of parts.

hyena74,

I would check your actual bolt catch retaining pin from your gun, I am willing to bet that it has a screw head and threaded on one end, To do this, just remove aluminum chassis / bedding surface by 2 bolts after removing the fore-end and stock. This is also a nice time to remove dirt / debris from the chassis.

The bolt catch retaining pin from my gun was threaded on one end, as is the replacement pin I have received direct from Beretta.

Regarding temporary fix, my buddy and I cleaned up the broken threaded end and used it to retain a pin cut from a drill bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FUDwacked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hyena74,

I would check your actual bolt catch retaining pin from your gun, I am willing to bet that it has a screw head and threaded on one end, To do this, just remove aluminum chassis / bedding surface by 2 bolts after removing the fore-end and stock. This is also a nice time to remove dirt / debris from the chassis.

The bolt catch retaining pin from my gun was threaded on one end, as is the replacement pin I have received direct from Beretta.

Regarding temporary fix, my buddy and I cleaned up the broken threaded end and used it to retain a pin cut from a drill bit. </div></div>
now ill have to examine it when i get home...hope they didnt send me the wrong damn part. looks like there is a trgs part that is almost identical...might have possibly got that.

The TRG-S uses the same bolt catch pin.

These pins are threaded rods turned down to 2.5mm (.098"). I can't figure out what the thread is though as the M3 screws I have here wouldn't work, nor would a 4-40. Perhaps an alternate M3 thread. At any rate, if a pin breaks in the future, you can pick up 2.5mm dowel pins from McMaster Carr in 14mm length and this will work.

Thanks,
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TRG-S uses the same bolt catch pin.

These pins are threaded rods turned down to 2.5mm (.098"). I can't figure out what the thread is though as the M3 screws I have here wouldn't work, nor would a 4-40. Perhaps an alternate M3 thread. At any rate, if a pin breaks in the future, you can pick up 2.5mm dowel pins from McMaster Carr in 14mm length and this will work.

Thanks,
Justin </div></div>

took my 22 out of the frame and saw that pin...it has a slot head on the end of it and black. i didnt bother to take it out.

on the sako trg bolt release 3 part it i got from brownells, it came with a stainless pin with no threading or slotted end. just a strait pin and it looks to be pretty long.

the bolt catch looked close to the same.

the package said trg on it. i forgot to bring it with me today, but looks like i am gonna have to search part numbers and find out what the hell is going on with it.

it was expensive as hell, and completely useless to me me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zunrj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FUD, glad to hear customer service came through for you!

Massoud and I have been considering this issue for a while now (it has happened to me twice). What we'd like to know is would you guys be interested in a KRG "solution" for this issue?

-John </div></div>

hell yeah i would. would this solution require a gunsmith to oversize the hole and pin?

Hyena,

No gunsmithing required. What we have in mind would be a drop-in part.

-John

I heard back from Sako and they say there is a fix in the works and it may be done. They gave no hint on what the fix might be, it could be a pin made from the strongest alloy ever, or it may be something like what John and I had in mind. We'll see what they come up with and go from there.

I suspect what Sako originally had in mind was what we wanted to do, which was transfer the force from the bolt stop to the receiver. With a perfectly placed hole in the stop, this is possible (there are other ways of course), but in production, .005" here and there makes a big difference.
Justin

Good thread, thanks for keeping us posted. It is the small parts that sometimes are the hardest think to find when you break them. I had a small part issue on a Browning a while back, took them 9 months to get it to me. Z

A possible solution to this pin breaking problem could be to oblong the hole in the latch itself, this would allow the rear of the latch to contact the cutout in the receiver transferring the bolt cycling load from the pin to the latch/receiver cut junction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A possible solution to this pin breaking problem could be to oblong the hole in the latch itself, this would allow the rear of the latch to contact the cutout in the receiver transferring the bolt cycling load from the pin to the latch/receiver cut junction. </div></div>

I'm wondering if this is something similar to what Massoud was alluding to and what may be in the works by Sako themselves?

It is what I was alluding to but I'm not fully convinced it's the solution as there might be a weird side effect. We'll look into it more and maybe test it out but I do want to see what Sako has got going.

Dont mean to revive an old thread but the bolt release pin in my 42 just broke. Sheared clean off. Contacted Beretta USA and am waiting for a reply. Brownells is still backordered on the pin.

Just got an email from Beretta...

They basically told me the same: I would have to get the pin from their authorized parts distributors which is Brownells and Midwest Gun Works.

I placed the order through Brownells for the pin Stock# 913-400-100. I purchased 2 on backorder... hopefully it doesn't take too long.

I for one would be more than willing to buy KRG (Massoud)'s bolt stop if it were made.

Speaking of pins breaking, I just sheared the pin off in my bipod on my 42....

110len-

Which pin in the bipod? Is it the older (wider) one or the new narrow footprint?

To add I have to say that Beretta USA customer service via their website is pretty quick with replies. However the TRG comes with a 2 year warranty so if its older than that (Ive had mine since 04) then there is really nothing beretta can do. Still they provided me with good information to address the fix on my own.

Now just a waiting game on the replacement pins from brownells.

pupdawg,
There is a pin that holds the release latch and spring in place. Bought it a year ago but don't know if it is the new or old version. I sent it in and it is supposedly on its way back to me. I just hope it comes with extra pins....
Len

If the footprint of the bipod is about 14" wide then its probably the older style with the part# ending with 395.

The new TRG bipod has a noticably more narrow footprint and that part# ends with 495. Both look and operate the same aside from that.

I received my spare TRG trigger parts kit from Brownells but still waiting on 2 spare Bolt Release Pins as well as the extractor kit which I ordered back when this saga began.

The temporary fix I did was a friend of mine who works for LAR took a drill bit of correct diameter (I can measure for you). Cut it, (I can give you the length) and then we used the screw end of the original pin as a set screw to keep the new temporary pin from falling out. its pretty slick.

2nd.
I recommend you contact Beretta repair department (I will try and find the number I used to reach a breathing human) and with as positive of an attitude as possible and beg for a replacement pin. As near as I can tell, they were the saviors that sent me my replacement quickly. Brownells is still back ordered until November when I check my order status.

Fud is the size 3/32? Maybe about half an inch long? Appreciate the info.