• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building the Perfect Reloading Room

Need a little guidance. Is this bench too tall for mounting a Dillon 550C on an inline fab mount. It's 45 inches tall and I'm 5'10". I haven't completed it yet so I can knock down the legs a bit shorter.

It is not pretty but for an absolute beginner at woodworking I'm happy with it.
20190511_200459.jpg

@Srikaleak yes, it looks good and nothing I'm about to say is negative or condescension. I'm not familiar with your press/base so I can't speak to your 'height question' at all.

Though I will add that as to the woodworking and looking at the base plywood shelf, it is the gaps around the posts in the corners that you may want to look at fitting 'closer' in the future. I am NOT saying that it needs to be re-done, so don't go there. What I am saying is that when it comes to wood/carpentry and fitment, it is the gaps that create instability. If you have the posts bolted in from the side, then ALL of the stability is being accomplished through just those 2 bolts.

Whereas, if you have more/all of your joints closer fitting, then ALL of the stresses are equalized throughout the joints (especially if you bond with glue) and then you'll have a MUCH stable'er and sturdy'er bench/table for much longer.

I'm sharing with you a bit of experience I've learned over the decades. I had spent a LOT of time, effort, and money into building a chair out of solid oak when I was in grade 10. It was great for well over a decade. Then, it wasn't stacked properly into the moving truck, and upon moving across the country it was wobbly as all hell. And toast. So it's gone. That was just a chair.

Your bench is going to be exposed to a lot more stresses in a lot shorter time. Are you adding any plywood sides at all? Or cross-bracing in any format?

Keep it up, you're definitely on the right track.

Yea, that's my biggest qualm was not having tight joints. I don't have a planer or miter saw to get those perfect angles. The wood was hand picked by me at Lowes and I trird my best to get the good stuff. As far as cross bracing I could add them. I was told to do some 45 degree braces from the top of the leg to the middle of the bottom shelf. I didn't think to pursue that avenue but I agree that having only bolts hold everything together will be more strenuous so I may add them.

You're doing such a good job on that bench, that you're going to want it to last. Adding in the cross braces as suggested (like and 'X') will give it an incredible amount of further support. Same goes across the back, OR, you could simply use a plywood panel on the sides or back to do the same thing. Just think of the 'box' style construction of your cupboards or cabinets, to compare rigidity.

Speech inflection doesn't come across the keyboard worth crap, so that's why I'm repeating that there is no criticism on my end. Simply throwing it out there, not unlike a chat over a beer. Keep it up.

Best you can do is learn vicariously, because others have made the mistakes before-hand. I won't deny though, that I'm sure there's plenty more mistakes on my path, in future. :D

Plywood panel seems easiest, would that be attached to the back/sides of the shelf/tabletop or to the back/sides of the legs? I'm leaning towards attaching the plywood to the legs

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Yes, I'd say that you would want to attach the plywood to the legs. By bracing the sides, it will prevent any "forward and back" movement, whereas by bracing the back, it will prevent any "side-to-side" movement. Well, almost any, because the front won't be braced due to access and knee-clearance.

20190513_213254.jpg

Well, here it is. Still have to attach the plywood braces but this is pretty much it. Going to order the Dillon later this month and figure out if I want to mount off the edge or on a mount.

Does anyone else spend twice as much time cleaning and organizing as actually reloading?

I should spend more time cleaning and organizing. It hasn't been re-organized since I did it the 1st time. I'm too adhd. I get scatter brained to finish cleaning and organizing.

Reactions: rmantoo
Good looking bench!
Well, here it is. Still have to attach the plywood braces but this is pretty much it. Going to order the Dillon later this month and figure out if I want to mount off the edge or on a mount.

Alternatively, you could also screw 2 horizontal furring strips of -whatever your setback from the legs to the wall is- thickness x the width of your bench, and then screw through the legs into the furring strip. This can make for a pretty clean installation, and it would firm the back side up very well, accomplishing the same as cross bracing, then you could just add plywood to the sides only.

added pic of furring strips used for mounting cabinets in case I'm not using the correct terminology or you can't understand my crappy composition :)

Last edited:
Ok yea, I had something completely different in mind.
Doesn't have to be in a corner, of course: That's just the first pic I could find. It has some potential advantages, and some disadvantages over pure plywood: Almost all cabinetry work, or finish carpentry, if you will, involves compromise and is often more about desired function and use than aesthetics.

The plywood box style has a pretty huge advantage in that you can stack boxes of bullets and other heavy stuff up as high as it will fit against the interior walls and not worry about anything falling out. Likewise, the box style would probably give you the stiffest box in all directions, and you could (probably should, I think) add a furring strip near the top and bottom of your bench to attach it to the wall anyway (if you want the most stable, anchored platform, at least). Attaching your bench to the wall will let you get good leverage, and good feel on your press when working.

However, I tend to build stuff in an "Armageddon Ready" style... I like the option of parking my truck on anything I build and not worrying, lol...

What you've got going is dang nice, and I bet whichever route you go it's going to work well for you. Have fun with it... and GET TO LOADING! (ha)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I finally finished my 4th bench in my reloading room which is a dedicated gun building bench. Just needs to be stained and cleared but that will have to wait till spring when I can leave the windows open.

1. Dillon XL650 bench
2. Co-Ax / Chargemaster bolt rifle bench
3. Roch Chucker depriming and brass prep bench
4. Gun building/cleaning bench

I went with Inline Fabrications Ultramount with Quick Change baseplate system. Its an amazing setup!! I have 5 baseplates with different tools mounted on each. They have a huge drop down of pre made plates for all kinds to tools, trimmers, presses, vises, etc. Waiting on a second shipment from them with my wall mounting system. Also have a nice sturdy old dinning room table as kind of a 5th bench for whatever I need it for.

That is a slick setup!

My bench....I built it around the water storage tank stand I had previously built, as I didn't want to move that. It's ~500 lbs anchoring the bench...it's rock solid without anchoring to the wall (which I might also do at some point, but no need so far).

Last edited:
Hello, Ill participate ... 1st post beyond my introductory post.

Here is my reloading area, a corner of my 2 car garage. The bench is my old stand up work desk that I bought for less than $50 including auction fee's when my business built a new facility. Powder and dies are stored indoors where humidity is lower.

The red compartments in the top shelves of the desk are from Grainger, for $25ea they can't be beat for bulk bullet and small item storage

https://www.grainger.com/product/DU...=AZIDPRR_9262-9435-2&req=Customer_Also_Viewed

Repurposed the cabinets when i remodelled the main kitchen

Fitted them into my workshop. Still needs some final finishing up and under cabinet lighting

Attachments

• 0313191836b.jpg
    0313191836b.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 550
  • 0313191836a.jpg
    0313191836a.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 545
  • 0313191836.jpg
    0313191836.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 532
Repurposed the cabinets when i remodelled the main kitchen

Fitted them into my workshop. Still needs some final finishing up and under cabinet lighting

This is a great Idea for repurposing. might be able to find used ones at a reclaim shop or Habitat store.

Reactions: M1A1Abrams
Thank you for the nut insert/plate mounting inspiration @Terry H . I will be incorporating this into my bench build. Very nice. Love that with all the reload gear stored it is a basic bench without semi-permanent obstructions.

Edit: Question for you; How are the cast nut inserts doing? Would you recommend them or should I get stamped ones (also secured by screws)?

Man, and I thought I had a heck of a well stocked shop. I'm just about RCBS green with envy. Looked around your Flikr acct for a few. Wish I were your favorite neighbor, lol.
(y)

Last edited:
Need a little guidance. Is this bench too tall for mounting a Dillon 550C on an inline fab mount. It's 45 inches tall and I'm 5'10". I haven't completed it yet so I can knock down the legs a bit shorter.

It is not pretty but for an absolute beginner at woodworking I'm happy with it.View attachment 7075963
How tall is this bench? I've built something similar but think I might have gone too tall.

How tall is this bench? I've built something similar but think I might have gone too tall.
44", it comes up to my elbows. Not how I planned it but I can casually rest my arms on my table without leaning over which is convenient. Granted I'm 5'9.7499" tall.

The desk pulls triple duty: reloading bench, computer desk, firearm cleaning platform.

This is the setup I use while I'm working construction away from home. The big box stores have unfinished cabinets and maple butcher block counters. Easy to set up and take apart. Just leave everything packed away in the cabinets and on to the next one.

Jesus christ @country888 going full first world with that gun area. I better not show my guns, they will be jealous. That's a fucking sweet setup
Thanks. It's been and Is a work in progress. Never enough time. The reloading and work room was done with old pallets. And 58 feet of benches. Vault I did in knotty pine. Then I cut my own eastern red cedar, buddy sawed it on ban mill. I planned it down and built bench's in the vault and trimmed it out. Love the smell in there.

Reactions: waveslayer
The t track shouldn’t matter really if you’re making custom top plates to mount to it. Mount your stuff to the plate. Set it on the bench so it works; then drill holes for the t slot bolts.

The t track shouldn’t matter really if you’re making custom top plates to mount to it. Mount your stuff to the plate. Set it on the bench so it works; then drill holes for the t slot bolts.
Maybe I did it ass backwards, but I mounted the T track, then drilled the plates on center to match the T track spacing ??‍♂️
FD23DE89-FFB5-4181-977D-CFF56867012A.jpeg
2A9353BF-F538-4AAC-97EF-DD74F0F21A5E.jpeg

Maybe I did it ass backwards, but I mounted the T track, then drilled the plates on center to match the T track spacing ??‍♂️
View attachment 7133850View attachment 7133851
Perpendicular to the front like yours means you can slide it forward to get the handle to clear. Parallel with the front and you have to worry about having enough overhang so your press handle will clear. Your way works too?

Reactions: Rhed and tnichols
All are excellent. Very excellent. (as you can see, my teacher learned me good!)

There is no 'perfect' room, just that which is "perfect" for us. And this is depending on time, location, area, funds, infrastructure, needs, and ability. EVERYBODY's parameters have varying limits and high-ends so the possibilities are truly endless. Each post here has something good in it, and they hits just keep on comin'. It'd be hard to choose a "Top 100" even.

Keep it up, all.

Just recently (here on the Hide) I learned about the LED T5 tube replacement for the fluorescent fixtures. Many here have commented about their use in/around reloading scales (electronic) being a bad thing. Soon as I get the funds, I'll be changing ours out. Doing an epoxy floor is something I personally hadn't thought of, (in the house) and yes, I "saw it here first".

"U" shaped benches. That is what I had planned on doing here, but due to space and infrastructure we had to go a different direction. We're still 'in the middle of it' and I'll put some pictures up when we're finally able to get it done. Short version is though, we're going with a few "permanent" benches along two parallel walls as well as portable/rolling "islands" for individual process as well as stowage.

My Lady especially likes some of the 'barn-wood' walls shown above. If it weren't for the fact that ours has just been freshly gyproc'ed and painted white, then THAT would have been the direction we'd have taken. As alluded to above, we're going with a few different "unique" storage methods and whatnot.

Gotta use the room that you have, to the best of your ability. Right? We've already decided here, that our NEXT house will have eleventy more rooms, a number of different stories, a few more 'sub-levels' and at least a handful of other outbuildings. Just to house the crap that we have amassed over the years. (I'm sure ya'll get it)

But the work that has been put into SO MANY of these "He Hollows" is incredible.

It is not pretty but for an absolute beginner at woodworking I'm happy with it.View attachment 7075963
I don't visit this thread very often so I know your post is two months old and hope you are up and running. You may have discovered that your bench is too tall or it is perfect for you.
I am also 5'10 and have a Dillon 650 mounted directly to the bench. The bench is 42 inches high. I load standing and not perched on a stool. This allows me to stand erect through the full motion of pulling the handle. At this height the bottom of the stroke allows for full arm extension without stooping and puts the handle at the right height when you need the most leverage. It also puts a box of bullets resting on the bench convienatly, the powder measure is at eye level to keep check and it is easy to look in the case to verify powder charge.
Loading a few hundred it might not matter what the height is, but a thousand it will.
If you don't have a UFO lighting kit for your press get one. It is the best $30.00 I have ever spent. Hopefully someone here will give a link.