• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

The XTR II was made in the Phillipines.

It's one of the most durable scopes on the market. So components from there have proven themselves completely reliable.

is it completely made and assembled there and then put through testing when it reaches the us shores if i heard correctly? it is at the top of my to get list but i wonder how far away from commercial sales the xtr3 will be i might havto hold out! im waitinf for the burris rep for aus to call me back.

is it completely made and assembled there and then put through testing when it reaches the us shores if i heard correctly? it is at the top of my to get list but i wonder how far away from commercial sales the xtr3 will be i might havto hold out! im waitinf for the burris rep for aus to call me back.
They said it will be at Shot show and probably spring 2019,if all goes well.

I had a feeling Burris would be offering an XTR III at SHOT 2019, this is fantastic news! The first 4-20 I got had issues with optical clarity, but I recently bought a newer 4-20 that seemed to fix all that, in fact, that 4-20 was better optically than the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44. I wish Burris would have stayed with the 4-20 mag range especially with that massive FOV; however, 3.3-18 is workable and the hope for an SCR tree reticle would sweeten the deal. I've been burned by Burris/Steiner for being an early adopter twice, so am not going to be burned a third time, I am very excited about this scope and what it promises but I'm going to wait until they work out the kinks before I actually adopt, if this scope lives up to everything it's marketed to be, then I may have to buy more than one :)

I had a feeling Burris would be offering an XTR III at SHOT 2019, this is fantastic news! The first 4-20 I got had issues with optical clarity, but I recently bought a newer 4-20 that seemed to fix all that, in fact, that 4-20 was better optically than the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44. I wish Burris would have stayed with the 4-20 mag range especially with that massive FOV; however, 3.3-18 is workable and the hope for an SCR tree reticle would sweeten the deal. I've been burned by Burris/Steiner for being an early adopter twice, so am not going to be burned a third time, I am very excited about this scope and what it promises but I'm going to wait until they work out the kinks before I actually adopt, if this scope lives up to everything it's marketed to be, then I may have to buy more than one :)

My sentiments exactly.

Reactions: FishDr
Interesting stuff. If this turns into an XTR II with a glass upgrade, it would be a huge winner. IMHO, the biggest hole in the scope market right now is the gap between the $1k options and $2k options (partly because the $1k options have gotten so good, it's tough to improve upon them without a significant price upgrade). But I think there are plenty of folks who would spend $1200-$1300 ($1500 MSRP) on a scope that's a little better than the PST2/XTRII/LRHS/etc. Something like an SWFA HD 5-20 with better features and a less dated reticle. Presumably, the glass upgrade and impressive FOV is going to make this an incredibly popular crossover scope for hunting and precision shooting.

Dang, this escalated quick. haha.

Price point?

No idea. Ive heard numbers from $1500-$2000 but honestly no idea.

34mm tube?

34mm correct

Another question: Any word on total elevation & windage travel compared to the XTRIIs?

I have 25.5 mils of up right now with a 100 yd zero. On the same rifle with same rings, my 4-20 has 18 mils of up left.

Do you know the weight?

nope sorry. I will weigh after the match this weekend. Very similar to the Xtr2

I love the way the graduations look but... I wish that the whole mils were the lowest points and not the .2 and.8 dashes either side. Im sure I wold get used to it (training solves all problems) but as it stands I have to think about it.
View attachment 6976945

So thats my one pulled out of my ass critique.

Im very curious how I will like it as well. As you said we can learn it, but I am hoping it will be intuitive if that makes sense...

Interesting. Will they let you show a through the scope pic of the new reticle?

This scope just has the SCR Retc. The new tree is still being protected by the lawyers or something. Once it can come out to play I will send pics asap.

Gahhhj exciting hassle them for release dates!!! Im not in a rush to buy a scope yet but this just jumped to number 1 im literally going to call beretta australia and harass them now.!

Can i tack on afew question? no...lol

Why is this scope in the 18x and the next going straight to 30x max? I think the 2 scopes ranges will cover most needs...?

Glass way better when compared to your xtr2? Its 300% better than the original XTR2's. I think I got lucky with my current 4-20's because they are good, but yes its even better than them. I have a Bushy LRHS 4-18, T5Xi 3-16, USO 3-17 and a Luppy Mark6 and its better than them as well. But that could be also attributed to the large FOV taking in more light making it seem brighter?? As I said, Ive literally got 30 rnds down the scope in perfect lighting so hold your horses.

There is ZERO purple finging in bright sun tho. Quite exciting.

About xtr2. Is the reason you.went 4 to 20 just the horus reticle? No. The 4-20 has better eye box, better fov, shorter, and I feel it is a better "deisgn" than the 5-25 if that makes sense. The 5-25 just felt like they were stretching the design capabilities and the glass obviously suffered at high mag. FInally, I nvr go above 18 power when shooting unless on paper, which 20 is plenty.

Good luck i will be following this!!

And hopefully it stays non-illumated or at least has a non-illumated option!

Yes both illum and non illum available. The price will reflect this as well. Also, I havnt seen it but was told the illum will be almost "inside" the parallax knob to keep profile narrow. I hope they are right. I hate the big thing on my 4-20

Awesome. Any chance this is a LOW product like the wonderful XTR II 1-8?

No...see below

20 yard parallex is begging to go on my 22lr. That would fix the issue of all my other scopes having H59s but my 22lrs. First time I can say I’m interested in a Burris scope. Please keep info coming.

Bingo. This and hunting. And a lighter field choice for field matches where you want a rifle to be in the 12 - 15 lbs range

Wondering about reticle choice. I love the SCR in my T5Xi. If they're sticking with it or have some other good options this scope may be something I look at in the future

SCR will be available. Also MOA. Also the new tree once its patented and ready to be etched and released.

So where's it made? Hopefully Japan.

I may be old fashioned, but Im quite excited this will be nearly 100% USA made. Just the glass will be imported and I have no idea from where. Funny thing about laws and stuff, Burris wont be able to say this is USA made because the law requires a crazy high % of the product to be made here. So just having the lenses imported, ki-boshes the USA made moniker. But it will be built and assembled in Greeley, CO.

Keep the questions coming, Ill answer when I can if I know.

Regards,
DT

Interesting stuff. If this turns into an XTR II with a glass upgrade, it would be a huge winner. IMHO, the biggest hole in the scope market right now is the gap between the $1k options and $2k options (partly because the $1k options have gotten so good, it's tough to improve upon them without a significant price upgrade). But I think there are plenty of folks who would spend $1200-$1300 ($1500 MSRP) on a scope that's a little better than the PST2/XTRII/LRHS/etc. Something like an SWFA HD 5-20 with better features and a less dated reticle. Presumably, the glass upgrade and impressive FOV is going to make this an incredibly popular crossover scope for hunting and precision shooting.
They told me MSRP $1700 to $1800

Reactions: nrspence
I'm hoping Burris keeps this scope near the $1000 price point of the XTR II, that would make it sell like hot cakes, if they are trying to market as a DMR II PRO and put it towards the $1500 it will still sell but many will be deterred I think. My next biggest question is weight, if they kept it close to 30oz this will be another huge win, but if its closer to 35 then not so much. Finally, that FOV sounds too good to be true, the only other scope that's close (within a similar magnification range) is the Schmidt and Bender 3-20x50 with a comparative FOV of 39.0' - 6.3' @ 100yds to the XTR3 3.3-18x50 of 40.3' - 6.6' @ 100yds.

Well that would be disappointing, the XTR line has always been the "budget" line from Burris and maintained a price point near $1000, if what you say is true then that puts the XTR3 in a different marketplace from their traditional XTR line, it would have been better for Burris to market this as something different from XTR or go the route of Bushnell and call it the XTR Pro or something like that, but anytime I see "XTR" I think around $1k.

I love all 3 of my XTR II's. I actually don't mind the glass quality in them, but any improvement over the II is great in my book. Ill be eagerly looking forward to the III making it to market!

If they sell for <$12-1300, I would say they will be big hitters. A marked increase in cost over the XTR2 for a (presumed) marked increase in performance over the XTR2. That, I could justify.

If they actually try to sell them for $17-1800, they’ll fizzle out like the DMR Pro. Thanks but hard pass.

I may be old fashioned, but Im quite excited this will be nearly 100% USA made. Just the glass will be imported and I have no idea from where. Funny thing about laws and stuff, Burris wont be able to say this is USA made because the law requires a crazy high % of the product to be made here. So just having the lenses imported, ki-boshes the USA made moniker. But it will be built and assembled in Greeley, CO.

Unless something has changed since the whole Leupold debacle then it's 80% by count to be labeled made in USA. There's WAAYYY more pieces in the erector assembly, springs, screws, and everything else in an optic than lenses. So what else is coming from over seas and where is it coming from?

Hopefully not from Nunya like Premier, that didn't turn out so well.

I hope they source quality parts and it turns out great because the market needs more reliable optics, I'm just always leery of where the parts come from and for good reason.

Reactions: 5RWill
Dang, this escalated quick. haha.
I have 25.5 mils of up right now with a 100 yd zero. On the same rifle with same rings, my 4-20 has 18 mils of up left.
nope sorry. I will weigh after the match this weekend. Very similar to the Xtr2
Glass way better when compared to your xtr2?
Its 300% better than the original XTR2's. I think I got lucky with my current 4-20's because they are good, but yes its even better than them. I have a Bushy LRHS 4-18, T5Xi 3-16, USO 3-17 and a Luppy Mark6 and its better than them as well. But that could be also attributed to the large FOV taking in more light making it seem brighter?? As I said, Ive literally got 30 rnds down the scope in perfect lighting so hold your horses. There is ZERO purple fringing in bright sun tho. Quite exciting.
Keep the questions coming, Ill answer when I can if I know.
Regards,
DT

DT, that is an impressive amount of mils with a 100y zero!
How about the length, I don't think I've seen that spec, looks shorter than the 4-20.
Obviously the glass is "300% better than the original XTR2" is subjective, but encouraging to hear from someone who has a lot of time with the XTR2 4-20's. Also encouraging to hear that CA may be better controlled in the XTR3, it was an issue in the XTR2 but to be expected at that price point, if this truly does come in at $1500 or more, the expectation would be much better CA control.
The scope looks great, I really like that package, I wonder if I travel up to Greeley if they'll let me play with one, any strings you can pull @GeoffatBurris ?

PS - not sure that bubble level location is going to be very effective when you're behind the scope ;)
1543429885038.png

Depending on price, I have to think an XTR3 would start taking over some of the T5Xi market share... makes me wonder if that will go away or if Steiner will come out with an improved version of the Tactical series as well (a la M7Xi).

Steiner/Burris has always kinda seemed like the Lexus/Toyota kinda deal so I’m interested to see how this will fit into the product lineup and if it puts others at risk.

The XTR II was made in the Phillipines.

It's one of the most durable scopes on the market. So components from there have proven themselves completely reliable.

It is a matter of QC by the ordering company more than anything else. You can get very high quality mechanical components out of Phillipines, China, Japan, etc.

ILya

Glad to see they're finally offering a tree reticle, and the 3.3-18 sounds about right for a hunting rifle intended to shoot greater than normal hunting distances. I'm curious to see what the glass looks like as well.

I'd agree, IF it has an illuminated reticle and the 3.3-18 stays under 28 oz.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
Where's the rest of the components coming from though? Some good glass comes out of Japan without a doubt, but the mechanical components matter for reliability. We've seen plenty of optics assembled here that still have issues because part quality is skimped on. If the parts are coming from Japan too, great, I have no doubt that they can assemble a quality product here. If they're coming from China and/or Philippines, Taiwan, or basically any asian country other then Japan then it will get a hard pass from me.
The country of origin is irrelevant to quality. The vendor's quality systems, manufacturing systems, tools, equipment, and most importantly it's culture determine the quality of its products.

It is a matter of QC by the ordering company more than anything else. You can get very high quality mechanical components out of Phillipines, China, Japan, etc.

ILya

People forget that these other countries are designing and building aircraft, precision manufacturing equipment, etc. It's not that they CAN'T make quality stuff. Rather, it's that often, from an American standpoint, we're not asking them to. We're going to them to cut corners and make it cheaper due to lower labor costs. They're fully capable of manufacturing to pretty darn good tolerances and quality.

I'm excited to see the reticle in this one. These, and the new NF reticle, definitely have me excited for SHOT. Still looking forward to ZCO as well of course. It's a great time to be in the PR world!

Last edited:
I really like my XTR II on my 6.5 creed and have no problems seeing out to 1k yards. This looks like it has some nice upgrades but the design really looks like the bushy DMR II. I bought a couple of the LRHSi on the Gap deal and for the money they are really hard to beat right now....

I had a great conversation with Sky Leighton last night. Just when I thought I couldn't be more excited about the release of this scope, I find out I'm wrong. Burris has really pulled out all the stops on this one!

I have the answers to a lot of the questions above, so I'll hit a few of them. To just spill out everything I learned about this optic would be even more lengthy, so if I dont hit your question, post it up and if I don't know the answer I'll try to get it for you.

We will get the price tag out of the way first. MAP pricing for the 3.3-18 will be $1649. The non illuminated versions are the first to come to market with illuminated to follow down the road. The XTR II will still be available at the 1k price point, but this is the new Burris flagship. You simply cant build a scope like this in the sub $1200 price point. They are significantly elevating their game, and people are going to find this scope is still going to be an excellent value..

As Dorgan mentioned the new Enhanced Special Competition Reticle is still tied up with attorneys and patents. But it's close. I got a pic of it last night, and let me tell you, it hits on all cylinders!! I think this is quite simply the best designed and most detailed competition reticle on the market. Burris is using a new technology to etch the glass that creates a sharper reticle. All the lines are sharp, the corners of etchings are all crisp and defined. It looks amazing!

As you can all see, it's a shorter scope than the XTR II, and it's also lighter. We have no finalized weights yet due to some tinkering with cosmetics. But lets just say for you guys who tossed out some weight ranges you believe the scope should hit, you will be pleased.

Place of manufacture is officially "Made in Colorado". Rather than run afoul of hair-splitting legal ramifications for using one outsourced screw too many, they are telling it like it is. The glass is from Asia, and some screws are outsourced from overseas per Burris specifications. Every other component is made and assembled in Greeley Colorado. The tube body, turrets, everything, from the ground up. They have built one of the most advanced clean rooms in the industry and are producing this one in house here in the USA!

The windage cap will be the MAD turret system, for those of you who are familiar with Burris' capping system. So you can cap it or leave it exposed. There is a fantastic elevation turret that is incredibly cool in the works. Pretty much an industry first. But I'm afraid it's also stuck in the patent process. So all I can do at this time is dangle a Twinkie and say more cool stuff is coming.

I'll try to wrap this up, there is so much to cover. I think Sky said it best last night when he said the XTR III is everything the XTR II wasnt. The eyebox is incredibly good in the III, tunneling is non existant, the glass is true HD with little to no CA and crisp edge to edge clarity, the parallax goes down to 20 yards, and it uses the same bulletproof turret system as the II. Both scopes are a 7x erector with industry leading fields of view, and the mag range of the next release will be a 5.5-30x56, and it's going to look fantastic at 30x!

Theres more to cover, but I dont want this to run forever...

Hopefully that answers some of your questions.

Last edited:
I had a great conversation with Sky Leighton last night. Just when I thought I couldn't be more excited about the release of this scope, I find out I'm wrong. Burris has really pulled out all the stops on this one!

I have the answers to a lot of the questions above, so I'll hit a few of them. To just spill out everything I learned about this optic would be even more lengthy, so if I dont hit your question, post it up and if I don't know the answer I'll try to get it for you.

We will get the price tag out of the way first. MAP pricing for the 3.3-18 will be $1649. The non illuminated versions are the first to come to market with illuminated to follow down the road. The XTR II will still be available at the 1k price point, but this is the new Burris flagship. They are significantly elevating their game, and people are going to find this scope is still going to be an excellent value..

As Dorgan mentioned the new Enhanced Special Competition Reticle is still tied up with attorneys and patents. But it's close. I got a pic of it last night, and let me tell you, it hits on all cylinders!! I think this is quite simply the best designed and most detailed competition reticle on the market. Burris is using a new technology to etch the glass that creates a sharper reticle. All the lines are sharp, the corners of etchings are all crisp and defined. It looks amazing!

As you can all see, it's a shorter scope than the XTR II, and it's also lighter. We have no finalized weights yet due to some tinkering with cosmetics. But lets just say for you guys who tossed out some weight ranges you believe the scope should hit, you will be pleased.

Place of manufacture is officially "Made in Colorado". Rather than run afoul of hair-splitting legal ramifications for using one outsourced screw too many, they are telling it like it is. The glass is from Asia, and some screws are outsourced from overseas per Burris specifications. Every other component is made and assembled in Greeley Colorado. The tube body, turrets, everything, from the ground up. They have built one of the most advanced clean rooms in the industry and are producing this one in house here in the USA!

The windage cap will be the MAD turret system, for those of you who are familiar with Burris' capping system. So you can cap it or leave it exposed. There is a fantastic elevation turret that is incredibly cool in the works. Pretty much an industry first. But I'm afraid it's also stuck in the patent process. So all I can do at this time is dangle a Twinkie and say more cool stuff is coming.

I'll try to wrap this up, there is so much to cover. I think Sky said it best last night when he said the XTR III is everything the XTR II wasnt. The eyebox is incredibly good in the III, tunneling is non existant, the glass is true HD that with little to no CA and crisp edge to edge clarity, the parallax goes down to 20 yards, and it uses the same bulletproof turret system as the II. Both scopes are a 7x erector, and the mag range of the next release will be a 5.5-30x56, and it's going to look fantastic at 30x!

Chris in Tech support told me 28x but 30x sounds great as long as it doesn't start to white out at full power like my 25x xtr 2 at 100 to 200 yards

We will get the price tag out of the way first. MAP pricing for the 3.3-18 will be $1649. The non illuminated versions are the first to come to market with illuminated to follow down the road. The XTR II will still be available at the 1k price point, but this is the new Burris flagship. You simply cant build a scope like this in the sub $1200 price point. They are significantly elevating their game, and people are going to find this scope is still going to be an excellent value..

I'll try to wrap this up, there is so much to cover. I think Sky said it best last night when he said the XTR III is everything the XTR II wasnt. The eyebox is incredibly good in the III, tunneling is non existant, the glass is true HD with little to no CA and crisp edge to edge clarity, the parallax goes down to 20 yards, and it uses the same bulletproof turret system as the II. Both scopes are a 7x erector with industry leading fields of view, and the mag range of the next release will be a 5.5-30x56, and it's going to look fantastic at 30x!

Everywhere I have ever lived I have allways tried to support and buy from local companies, in Texas it was Larue and a few others, in Arkansas it was Wilson Combat and Choat machine and tool and now that I'm in Colorado I foresee a road trip in my future to Greely Colorado.

I got 30x from Sky last night.

And it's actually pretty cool that they stop there. With a 7x erector they could take this optic to 35x. But they didnt want to run the travel all the way to the ragged edge and impact that last 2x of optical quality.

They stop it at 30x so it still maintains that user friendly eyebox and the glass is still sharp throughout the entire magnification range.

I got 30x from Sky last night.

And it's actually pretty cool that they stop there. With a 7x erector they could take this optic to 35x. But they didnt want to run the travel all the way to the ragged edge and impact that last 2x of optical quality.

They stop it at 30x so it still maintains that user friendly eyebox and the glass is still sharp throughout the entire magnification range.

That sounds like they really did listen and learn from the short comings of the XTR II. A nod of respect, they deserve.

Sounds great.

What's the OAL on the 3.3-18?

Under 13" is what I was told. I didnt get an exact number I'm afraid. So its trimming more than 2" off the 3-15 XTRII, which is the shortest scope in the current XTR high magnification lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
What's the eta on the illuminated version? Interested in this as a LR hunting scope. The Mark 5 would be great but I'm not paying 500 more for illumination.

They are building these scopes in Colorado as we speak. Production is under way. There will be scopes to sell by Shot Show. Shortly thereafter the production numbers will be pretty good, so they will be working hard to get these in people's hands in 2019.

Illuminated models along with the 5.5-30 will be later in 2019. Fingers crossed that we see them in the fall. I also want one of these for hunting. Its rare to actually need it, but it's nice to have if the situation calls for it.

Dang, that kinda sucks on the price.

Count me in the group that is of the "if this is $1500+ street price for the high mag version, I'm probably out" opinion. I don't expect a next-gen XTR to compete with a razor gen 2. But of course, that's based on the enormous performance gap between the XTR2 and Rz G2 right now. If the XTR3 completely closes that gap, then there's no reason it wouldn't be popular at a similar price point as the razor G2.

IMHO, Burris should avoid a repeat of the T5xi where it was completely non-competitive glass-wise at it's initial price point (ignoring the tracking issues as I assume they've learned that lesson). It's just not great business IMHO to release something that has to be heavily discounted for the performance to match the price.

Under 13" is what I was told. I didnt get an exact number I'm afraid. So its trimming more than 2" off the 3-15 XTRII, which is the shortest scope in the current XTR lineup.

Nice. This will be a good fit for my 18" Grendel.

It's interesting these are going to be 6x since the new Steiner is 7x. I'm curious if we'll see another Steiner M7Xi model.

Last edited:
We’re gonna need some video, mmkay.

Before we get to the point of me asking to take some videos, I first need to convince them to let me into the building. As it were, I have some work reasons to swing by Denver in a couple of weeks, so I will try to visit Burris while I am at it.

I like XTR II scopes (especially the lower mag ones), and I know that they have been working on XTR III for some time so I am exceedingly curious.

ILya

Reactions: RFutch
Wishing for the new and improved XTR III to be at the old XTR II price point is hilarious to me. Maybe right before the XTR4 or whatever comes out the XTR III will be down there.
XTRII 5-25 is around $900 new, right? I don't think anyone has an issue with $1200-$1300 (potentially a 40% price increase) if the performance is significantly improved. But it would have to be a truly major advancement to justify nearly doubling the price. Of course, nobody knows how much better the performance will be, so trying to justify the price versus performance at this point is futile. My only thought was that if its twice as good as the XTRII and will target an entirely different price point, they should have given it an entirely new lineup name. But who cares - hopefully it's an awesome scope and dirt cheap.

Own a gen 2 razor and an XTR II (in fact, purchased here from Dorgan). At a similar price point, will probably purchase a second Razor Gen II. But I do wish they were not such a power pole atop the rifle! If the XTR III closes that gap … maybe. The tracking is stellar on both.

XTRII 5-25 is around $900 new, right? I don't think anyone has an issue with $1200-$1300 (potentially a 40% price increase) if the performance is significantly improved. But it would have to be a truly major advancement to justify nearly doubling the price. Of course, nobody knows how much better the performance will be, so trying to justify the price versus performance at this point is futile. My only thought was that if its twice as good as the XTRII and will target an entirely different price point, they should have given it an entirely new lineup name. But who cares - hopefully it's an awesome scope and dirt cheap.

I think regular prices for the higher magnification XTR II scopes are in the $1050 to $1300 range. I am not sure how going up to $1600-$1700 is doubling.

As as the price for the XTR III goes, I do not think there is any sense in speculating what it should cost until we know how good it is, i.e. what its direct competition in terms of performance is.

If it ends up costing around $1600-$1700 it is up against Athlon Cronus and Delta Stryker, for example, but then it also has to be better than the less expensive Athlon Ares ETR and PST Gen 2.

ILya

I heard windage knobs fall off, even the objective glass!!! lmao

Haha!!

And your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of Elderberries!!

This guy is a buddy of mine making fun of me. I was stupid enough to actually get in an argument on Facebook a couple years ago with a guy who was claiming he had an XTR II that the front lenses fell out of it, the windage turret fell off, and the elevation turret was broken. All on the same scope.

Lesson learned. You cant fix stupid.