• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

So early to start thinking about how it stacks up to the Gen II Razor. Its $500 less money. That's significant.

If it tracks as well and compares optically....

The Burris is significantly lighter, and shorter. Will also cap windage...

I could go on, but its early in the game. Let's see how she looks. If its everything Burris is shooting for then the price will be justified. But you guys can make your own judgement on that.

$1,500-$1,600 for a predominately USA made scope, where the predecessor's internals are known to be great, that is now potentially lighter, shorter, more travel, better reticle, better glass - I'm in!

BEST COMMENT YET

Im lolling people wanting S&B scope for SWFA prices. Come on now peeps!!
(not that im not in that boat a little haha)

Not gonna lie tho...I am most excited about the USA part. Hope they don't fek it up tho. My Steiner T5 3-15 is a pretty solid little scope and it was made in Greeley. WOnder if they are still going to be made there also...

DT

This looks great. Can’t wait to see the length and weight of the finished product.

I think regular prices for the higher magnification XTR II scopes are in the $1050 to $1300 range. I am not sure how going up to $1600-$1700 is doubling.

As as the price for the XTR III goes, I do not think there is any sense in speculating what it should cost until we know how good it is, i.e. what its direct competition in terms of performance is.

If it ends up costing around $1600-$1700 it is up against Athlon Cronus and Delta Stryker, for example, but then it also has to be better than the less expensive Athlon Ares ETR and PST Gen 2.

ILya
I thought I had seen them for <$1000. Must have been wrong. If so, anything >$1500 would have been near double or full on double cost.

I agree there's no need to speculate on value until performance has been assessed.

eFfmdb3.jpg

TWICE....

Looks like we wont be needing a 3-18 Vortex AMG after all.

I'm hoping this is just the first of many new scopes in line for 2019, might be the year I finally get all my rifles glass that I'm 100% content with.

My thoughts exactly. I've been wanting a 3-18amg to come out for a while. With the FOV the 3.3-18 is putting out, a 4-20 would have been nice.

My thoughts exactly. I've been wanting a 3-18amg to come out for a while. With the FOV the 3.3-18 is putting out, a 4-20 would have been nice.

Field of view is fantastic on this scope. Its definitely become one of my favorite features.

I've found over the last couple years that I have been running on lower and lower magnification ranges to increase that field of view. I shot a lot of stages on 12x this year. It just makes target transition so much smoother when you pick up the target quickly. 95% of my shooting is 12x to 16x.

With nicer glass, a big forgiving eyebox and large FOV, I'm thinking it just got a whole lot better...

Field of view is fantastic on this scope. Its definitely become one of my favorite features.

I've found over the last couple years that I have been running on lower and lower magnification ranges to increase that field of view. I shot a lot of stages on 12x this year. It just makes target transition so much smoother when you pick up the target quickly. 95% of my shooting is 12x to 16x.

With nicer glass, a big forgiving eyebox and large FOV, I'm thinking it just got a whole lot better...

I agree FOV is often overlooked and one of the most important features of a scope. However for competition and paper/steel ranges anything under 6x is totally useless. I’ve never gone below 9-10x in a PRS match. The reticle becomes different to use for holds at the lower end.

When hunting comes into play and a deer is 25 yards away that low end becomes crucial. A shorter 20” 6.5 creed with this 3.3-18 scope in a lightweight setup would be an awesome whitetail rig for my areas I hunt.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Now that this is out, and the XTRII is such a piece of shit, you guys replacing them with the XTR III should just give me your old junk 4-20 SCR MIL please. I will dispose of it properly.

I just wouldn't feel right about myself unless I offered out of the goodness of my heart to help you with such a grueling task.

BEST COMMENT YET

Im lolling people wanting S&B scope for SWFA prices. Come on now peeps!!
(not that im not in that boat a little haha)

Not gonna lie tho...I am most excited about the USA part. Hope they don't fek it up tho. My Steiner T5 3-15 is a pretty solid little scope and it was made in Greeley. WOnder if they are still going to be made there also...

DT

If you run it way forward on the rail, is the power ring going to hit? I am kind of big and find myself often running out of room to push a scope forward before I get it where I want it. I hate to step up the mediums and build up a bunch more cheek.

I agree with that. I dont think I've ever shot below 8x at a match.

I do believe with this compact and lightweight package, FOV and magnification range, this is going to be an excellent crossover as a long range/short range hunting scope.

(y)

I've got a shorty creedmoor this would be perfect on.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Was just getting ready to order a Vortex Razor G2 3-18 x 50 for my .22LR Sako Quad and saw this... I think I'll have to put that scope purchase off a little longer until this hits the market and the XTR3 tree reticle is shown.

That being said, as a previous owner of 2x Steiner 3-15 T5XI's I have some hesitation; I really hope there's some improvement in the glass department for this new XTR3. While I didn't expect glass perfection at the price point of the T5XI (and don't expect it in the XTR3 given the price) the glass in my T5XI's was terrible, like $250 Chinese scope terrible. I found myself never being able to get a well focused image even after lots of fiddling with the diopter and parallax which led to eye fatigue, and the focus issue combined with huge amounts of CA made it nearly impossible to see splashes on freshly painted steel at 550Y. This was both before and after I sent them in for the turret fix for the early production scopes; I mentioned the CA and focus issues in the return paperwork. Liked most everything about those scopes, but the glass was so bad I sold them... it was no fun lifting my head every couple of shots to blink and rub my eye.

Willing to give the XTR3 a try for the price and featureset, but this time I think I'll skip the preorder and wait for a few reviews to hit the forums. I'll be watching them closely though...

Last edited:
We’re gonna need some video, mmkay.
Very, VERY few manufacturers allow anyone to video their operations. I would not count on it.

I am floored that Aimpoint gave Larry Vickers the access they did, that is very unusual.

I know we would deny any permission to video anything we do. We have some processes that we don't even let our customers see when they visit.

Reactions: Bender and XLR308
Very, VERY few manufacturers allow anyone to video their operations. I would not count on it.

I am floored that Aimpoint gave Larry Vickers the access they did, that is very unusual.

I know we would deny any permission to video anything we do. We have some processes that we don't even let our customers see when they visit.

When you visit a manufacturer they tell you where it is OK to take pictures and videos and where it isn't. They are usually pretty reasonable about it.

Ilya

When you visit a manufacturer they tell you where it is OK to take pictures and videos and where it isn't. They are usually pretty reasonable about it.

Ilya
I am a manufacturer. All I'm saying here is that more often than not the answer is no.

Any idea when all the specs and reticle will be officially finalised and announced?

Will it be this side of Christmas or likely wait till Shot Show?

I gotta say, with all this positive info, I’m a little bit excited to see this scope. I’m not holding my breath per se, still got too many bad memories of the II. But if this scope ends up being as nice as is described, I could see this being a “go to” for everything scope line.

Dorgan, I hope your kicking ass this weekend!

Good to see inovative new products. Glad to see Made in Colorado, and the 20-yard parallax minimum, perfect for a 22LR trainer.

I've mentioned it to Sky before, and will also mention it here. Hopefully Dorgan and Birddog are listening, and can also pass it on... Please offer more reticle choices. I hate the SCR reticle's. I owned both versions (for a short period of time), and currently own a 4-20 with H591 reticle. Without seeing the new reticle, Burris needs to offer a simple and modern reticle, something like the Leupold TMR. Reticle choice is a very personal thing. Without a reticle I like, I will be passing on any more Burris scopes. I truly hope my wish comes true. As reported, eye box is a big improvement. Other than edge to edge glass clairity, and lack of reticle choices, the only other criticism I had was the eye box on the XTR2 scopes were not very forgiving in my opinion and needing improvement, hopefully the XTR3 truely is better.

Will continue keeping an eye on this scope.

Reactions: D_TROS
Dorgan, I hope your kicking ass this weekend!

Good to see inovative new products. Glad to see Made in Colorado, and the 20-yard parallax minimum, perfect for a 22LR trainer.

I've mentioned it to Sky before, and will also mention it here. Hopefully Dorgan and Birddog are listening, and can also pass it on... Please offer more reticle choices. I hate the SCR reticle's. I owned both versions (for a short period of time), and currently own a 4-20 with H591 reticle. Without seeing the new reticle, Burris needs to offer a simple and modern reticle, something like the Leupold TMR. Reticle choice is a very personal thing. Without a reticle I like, I will be passing on any more Burris scopes. I truly hope my wish comes true. As reported, eye box is a big improvement. Other than edge to edge glass clairity, and lack of reticle choices, the only other criticism I had was the eye box on the XTR2 scopes were not very forgiving in my opinion and needing improvement, hopefully the XTR3 truely is better.

Will continue keeping an eye on this scope.

We're listening.

A lot of attention was paid to what people were saying about the II. On this board and others. I strongly suspect Sky is watching this very thread.

This scope is the culmination of 4 years of XTR II feedback. Burris hard tackled the shortcomings of that scope when they developed this one.

When you see how many threads and posts have been made over the last year or so, absolutely screaming out for a 3-18, FFP, lightweight scope with good glass - it’s really not a surprise Burris has had the initiative to fill the niche. Excellent work gentlemen, I will be trying everything I can to get one to Australian shores as quickly as possible.

When you see how many threads and posts have been made over the last year or so, absolutely screaming out for a 3-18, FFP, lightweight scope with good glass - it’s really not a surprise Burris has had the initiative to fill the niche. Excellent work gentlemen, I will be trying everything I can to get one to Australian shores as quickly as possible.
And hopefully before the importer decides to triple the price...

Reactions: Just Macca
I agree with Alpine 338 on the reticles. Something like a TMR or sig milling reticle with even Mils numbered. If the XTR 2 in 2-10 had a mil Hash reticle instead of G2B I would still own 1. The XTR 3 appears to be a step in the right direction. Im excited for this scope.

I am very curious to see the tree reticle myself. After having gone to one many years ago, I'll never go back. It's just too damned useful in hold over stages and out hunting where I don't always have time to dial elevation or windage. EBR-2C, TRMR 3, SKMR 3; doesn't matter, a tree reticle offering is a must these days to any scope manufacturer. To not do so, is just narrowing your own market space.

Reactions: D_TROS and 5RWill
This scope has quickly shot to the top of my want list. The feature set and the wide FOV really appeals to the crossover hunting/casual tactical prs shooting crowd (like myself). I can only afford so many rifles and scopes so they tend to fall into the jack of all trades, master of none but better than some category. If I own it, I have to be able to hunt with it. Prior to this the top of the want wish list was a AMG but was holding out for a 3-18 like others have mentioned.

Apparently so, since your question is answered on the first page (I think that is what he was driving at).

Reactions: 308pirate
I am very curious to see the tree reticle myself. After having gone to one many years ago, I'll never go back. It's just too damned useful in hold over stages and out hunting where I don't always have time to dial elevation or windage. EBR-2C, TRMR 3, SKMR 3; doesn't matter, a tree reticle offering is a must these days to any scope manufacturer. To not do so, is just narrowing your own market space.

If you like those reticles, you'll like the new ESCR.

I'm trying to walk the line between giving you guys information and letting you know we have a great reticle coming, without saying too much and having Sky call me ;)

I think we have a better reticle with better detail and usefulness than a couple of those. But of course, reticles are extremely preferential. I'm not a fan of dots and lots of open spaces in the holdover subtensions.

I'm excited for the day it releases. I have no information on when that will be. Hopefully we can at least start circulating it by Shot.

Reactions: MarinePMI
So am I. We have people over all the time.

What do you manufacturer?

ILya
Having people over and letting them film/photograph/document what you do are two completely different things. Don't deflect.

What I manufacture are highly engineered electric motors, many of which are ITAR or EAR controlled. In addition we have some proprietary processes that we allow no one access to, no matter who they are.

A new XTRIII sounds like it'll check all of the boxes. I have an XTRII 5-25 and had planned on putting it on a newly ordered PVA rifle. Not sure if the prices have changed but I know MSRP when it came out was $1500 for the XTR5-25. Street prices (it's been a year or two?) were in the $1200-1300 range but think they are right around $1k now. As long as MSRP is sub $2k (production class PRS) I"m game.

for a scope with better glass, made in the US, more forgiving eye box, larger field of view, lighter, smaller, etc. etc. I'm thinking I won't mind paying a bit more. solid product from a solid company.

Now the debate is keep the 5-25 and put it on something else, and buy the new 3.3-18. I had been planning on getting one of the 1-8 FFP XTRII's around SHOT show time, maybe I'll have enough saved up to add another burris as they become more available.

as many have said, it's a great time to be looking for a new rifle/glass/ammo.

I love my XTRII in 4-20 with the H591 reticle; but I've got an empty set of 34mm rings that I can see filling with the new XTR3 in the higher magnification range with the new tree-reticle.

Reactions: winniedonkey
The XTR II was made in the Phillipines.

It's one of the most durable scopes on the market. So components from there have proven themselves completely reliable.

Does the glass come from the Philippines or is it Chinese lenses with Filipino construction.