• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

If you like those reticles, you'll like the new ESCR.

I'm trying to walk the line between giving you guys information and letting you know we have a great reticle coming, without saying too much and having Sky call me ;)

I think we have a better reticle with better detail and usefulness than a couple of those. But of course, reticles are extremely preferential. I'm not a fan of dots and lots of open spaces in the holdover subtensions.

I'm excited for the day it releases. I have no information on when that will be. Hopefully we can at least start circulating it by Shot.

I really hope that the outer stadia are in the .7mil+ range to maximise the 3.3x low end.

Reactions: Alpine 338
If you like those reticles, you'll like the new ESCR.

I'm trying to walk the line between giving you guys information and letting you know we have a great reticle coming, without saying too much and having Sky call me ;)

I think we have a better reticle with better detail and usefulness than a couple of those. But of course, reticles are extremely preferential. I'm not a fan of dots and lots of open spaces in the holdover subtensions.

I'm excited for the day it releases. I have no information on when that will be. Hopefully we can at least start circulating it by Shot.
So you think this new reticle will trickle back into the xtr 2 line aswell?

So you think this new reticle will trickle back into the xtr 2 line aswell?

That's actually a very good question. I wish I had thought of it.

I'm afraid I dont know the answer to that. But it would certainly make sense. I'm going to forward that up and see if I can get an answer for you.

That's actually a very good question. I wish I had thought of it.

I'm afraid I dont know the answer to that. But it would certainly make sense. I'm going to forward that up and see if I can get an answer for you.

much appreciated :) put in a word for me will you our aussie rep is enquiring on my behalf at the moment i was umming and ahhing about what scope the xtr2 was top of the list and i want this so bad its not funny it ticks all my boxes haha xD

Reactions: Birddog6424
It’s not important who made the individual components but who inspected them and assembled the scope.
That line of thinking left manufacturing in the 90s..........

Nobody who excels at manufacturing today believes that.

8FE94C6D-1AE1-44E1-940A-B16F55DE91E0.jpeg

well it tracks good. fov is awesome and i absolutely love the knobs/ticks. heading home. better review later.

day one i dropped 40 shots and was about to ditch the scope. had a come to jesus with my rifle and day 2 i dropped 4. ends up i just suck at shooting in 8-30 mph switchy texas winds. day 2 winds were a mild 2-6mph. that 3-oh-H8 life.

DT

Attachments

• 2C0D153F-28A0-4C6F-A8C0-BE3FB3B5B92B.jpeg
    2C0D153F-28A0-4C6F-A8C0-BE3FB3B5B92B.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 176
Looking forward to your thoughts!

Congratulations on your win in the Tac division. You and the 3-oh-H8 kicked ass this year!

So with this bad boy coming out, it’s really got me thinking of just waiting. Was looking hard at the LRTS Bushy, but now it’s a second guess. Seems like a lot of scope for the money, just will have to wait and see.

If that were true then nobody excells at manufacturing.
I'm not going to further sideline the thread. All I will say is that I have 23 years in mfg across several quality-critical industries that says you're not on the same wavelength as everyone who matters is today.

much appreciated :) put in a word for me will you our aussie rep is enquiring on my behalf at the moment i was umming and ahhing about what scope the xtr2 was top of the list and i want this so bad its not funny it ticks all my boxes haha xD

The official response is that the Enhanced SCR will make it's way into the XTR II. But it most likely will not be in 2019.

The folks in Greeley have a pretty full plate already for 2019.

Reactions: Bender
I'm not going to further sideline the thread. All I will say is that I have 23 years in mfg across several quality-critical industries that says you're not on the same wavelength as everyone who matters is today.

Yet you like post #70. How do you reconcile that?

Yet you like post #70. How do you reconcile that?
Product quality is not a function of after the fact inspection or "QC". It's a function of the design and manufacturing process. It starts at APQP phase 1 and goes from there.

I don't know what you do for a living but this is what I do. Unless we're in the same profession, I doubt you know more about this than I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alarka
It matters who makes the components. It does not matter all that much which continent they are made on since you can find reasonably competent OEMs on all of them (within limits).

ILya

That’s what I meant.

Also just realized from the picture DT provided, the scope looks much more like a dark gray with a better matte finish than the XTR II, the II has a shinier finish where the III looks much less reflective which is nice IMO. Reminds me a bit of the AMG finish if I remember right.

My only thought was that if its twice as good as the XTRII and will target an entirely different price point, they should have given it an entirely new lineup name. But who cares - hopefully it's an awesome scope and dirt cheap.

I agree patriot, by calling this an XTRIII it just muddies the waters, they should have come out with a new name which would really differentiate the "quality" between the XTR II and price point. It is what it is and Burris will do what it wants to do and in the end we'll live with it, but with all the upgrades that Birddog mentions, a new name/model line would have helped it, or at least XTR Pro.

Looks like we wont be needing a 3-18 Vortex AMG after all.

I'm hoping this is just the first of many new scopes in line for 2019, might be the year I finally get all my rifles glass that I'm 100% content with.

I told Vortex they need to focus on an AMG shorty in the 3-18/4-20 range back when they announced the 6-24, I know Vortex has something in the works but doubt it will be released in 2019 and no guarantee it will be greater than the 4x erector the AMG currently uses.

Having people over and letting them film/photograph/document what you do are two completely different things. Don't deflect.

What I manufacture are highly engineered electric motors, many of which are ITAR or EAR controlled. In addition we have some proprietary processes that we allow no one access to, no matter who they are.

Not sure why you're arguing over this, you are just speculating that the manufacturer won't allow pics/video of what goes on inside; however, Vortex allowed Frank to just this with their AMG division a few years ago, so while it may not be the norm it doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

Finally, @Birddog6424 , you mention the XTRIII line has 7x erectors but the magnification range does not reflect this, so are you saying Burris cut down on the full range of the erector to provide a better image instead of maxing out what the erector would allow?

Very interested to see the weight. If it's around 26oz like the Mk5, I'm in.

Are you kidding me, if the IQ of the XTRIII proves to live up to what @Birddog6424 and @D_TROS have been saying, this may be "the" scope I've been looking for, especially with the new tree reticle. I've always been impressed with Burris/Steiner turrets so I have no doubt this thing will track and have great feel, but I got burned with the early releases of the T5Xi and XTR II 4-20 so while I'm thrilled to hear about this release it would be very difficult for me to be another early adopter on this. Once initial reviews come out and this thing proves to be a winner, I'll wait for it to show up on Experticity and then give it a go and review compared to the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 and the Kahles K318i. I've also been waiting for the ZCO ZC420 but at this point it seems like the Burris might be hitting the streets before the ZCO does, but I'm only interested in the illuminated version which sounds like will take into next summer/fall before we see those. Sounds like the XTR III is Burris' answer to the Vortex AMG series and while it doesn't have a complete "made in the USA" tag it sounds like "mostly made in the USA" is fitting. Asian glass has proved to be very competitive with German glass of late and if Burris nailed the multicoatings and is getting a good warm to neutral image with low CA and high resolution, well count me in, in fact, this could replace a number of my scopes if it lives up to what's been said so far.

It matters who makes the components. It does not matter all that much which continent they are made on since you can find reasonably competent OEMs on all of them (within limits).

ILya

Yet products made in Asian countries are generally of the lowest quality when compared with products made accross the rest of the world particularly the 1st world but I'm sure the Burris is different. ?

Reactions: Primus
Are you kidding me, if the IQ of the XTRIII proves to live up to what @Birddog6424 and @D_TROS have been saying, this may be "the" scope I've been looking for, especially with the new tree reticle. I've always been impressed with Burris/Steiner turrets so I have no doubt this thing will track and have great feel, but I got burned with the early releases of the T5Xi and XTR II 4-20 so while I'm thrilled to hear about this release it would be very difficult for me to be another early adopter on this. Once initial reviews come out and this thing proves to be a winner, I'll wait for it to show up on Experticity and then give it a go and review compared to the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 and the Kahles K318i. I've also been waiting for the ZCO ZC420 but at this point it seems like the Burris might be hitting the streets before the ZCO does, but I'm only interested in the illuminated version which sounds like will take into next summer/fall before we see those. Sounds like the XTR III is Burris' answer to the Vortex AMG series and while it doesn't have a complete "made in the USA" tag it sounds like "mostly made in the USA" is fitting. Asian glass has proved to be very competitive with German glass of late and if Burris nailed the multicoatings and is getting a good warm to neutral image with low CA and high resolution, well count me in, in fact, this could replace a number of my scopes if it lives up to what's been said so far.

I concur. All indications are Burris has learned from mistakes made & will hit this out of the park, but I want to see some field reviews once they’re out.

@wjm308 , I’m curouis, what makes this look like “the one” for you?

Yet products made in Asian countries are generally of the lowest quality when compared with products made accross the rest of the world particularly the 1st world but I'm sure the Burris is different. ?
Made in China, Americans buy every one they can
1543893412729.png

1543893446875.png

Yep, total piece of shit compared to German stuff
1543893539731.png

Ahhh, this thread will be so much better without the Negative Nancy that's been plaguing the forums the last few days! Puttin' the ol' ignore button to use finally! :)

Hearing that the weight has been brought down on these is great news! Ol' Frank's gonna be a busy man next year! And @koshkin , do share what you can after your visit. I always enjoy reading your point of view and insights. Lots of good stuff coming soon!

Ahhh, this thread will be so much better without the Negative Nancy that's been plaguing the forums the last few days! Puttin' the ol' ignore button to use finally! :)

Hearing that the weight has been brought down on these is great news! Ol' Frank's gonna be a busy man next year! And @koshkin , do share what you can after your visit. I always enjoy reading your point of view and insights. Lots of good stuff coming soon!

agreed, im a big fan of asian products being from australia, obsessed with anything japanese and korean,if people think the japanese cant keep up with the rest of the modern world theyre dreaming... korean engineering is definately on par etc etc

If that were true then nobody excells at manufacturing.
Product quality is not a function of after the fact inspection or "QC". It's a function of the design and manufacturing process. It starts at APQP phase 1 and goes from there.

I don't know what you do for a living but this is what I do. Unless we're in the same profession, I doubt you know more about this than I do.

As much as I hate to agree with him (I still remember the thread that got him banned), He's absolutely right here. I work QA for aviation and we put little value in post inspection. For any confidence calculations, we give a "good" inspection method only an 80% chance of catching defects.

Finally, @Birddog6424 , you mention the XTRIII line has 7x erectors but the magnification range does not reflect this, so are you saying Burris cut down on the full range of the erector to provide a better image instead of maxing out what the erector would allow?

Yes, that's exactly what they did Bill. These scopes have 7x erectors. The 30x scope they are releasing could have easily been run all the way to 35x.

How many times have we heard that Brand X scope "looks pretty good, until you get over X magnification, then the glass quality/eyebox quality diminishes".

Burris made a decision to not utilize the full length of travel of the erector system and potentially compromise the quality of the sight picture and eyebox. I think the eyebox and the glass were the two most often mentioned detriments of the XTR II, and the decision makers in Greeley are determined to overcome all the weaknesses of that scope line and bring a solid, well-rounded, well-liked scope to market.

There are several kinds of "bests".. When you think of the best scope out there, you think of the big hitters like TT and S&B. But there are also the best scopes in their price point. And that's what makes the XTR II so successful. It's a solid scope at its price point.

The XTR III is moving into a new price point. And the goal is to be the best scope and a solid choice for scope buyers at that price point.

Last edited:
View attachment 6979916

well it tracks good. fov is awesome and i absolutely love the knobs/ticks. heading home. better review later.

day one i dropped 40 shots and was about to ditch the scope. had a come to jesus with my rifle and day 2 i dropped 4. ends up i just suck at shooting in 8-30 mph switchy texas winds. day 2 winds were a mild 2-6mph. that 3-oh-H8 life.

DT

Not to derail too much, but is the rumor Jim See DQ'ed himself after winning the Tac Division true?

Not to derail too much, but is the rumor Jim See DQ'ed himself after winning the Tac Division true?

It certainly appears that way.

Based on his description of events it makes zero sense that he did that. But that's his choice.

Nice to see the trophy(s) go to Dorgan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd
How did that happen?

Like Winny I don't want to derail the thread. But in a nutshell it appears that he had position and cheek weld on his rifle, was looking through his scope, and upon moving his rifle, bumped the barricade and accidentally discharged his weapon, missing the target by two feet.

He discussed it with the RO, who thought it was a non-issue. But Jim thought otherwise. He finished the match then asked the MD to remove him.

After having read this thread, I’m very much looking forward to getting my paws on the 18x scope! That huge FOV will be tits! I really liked the turrets (audible/tactile and perfect tracking) on my 4-20 XTR2 that I had, but my only issue with it and the 2 T5XI’s was the damn CA. Hearing that they have addressed this for the XTR3 is great news! I’m already planning another upper build for a spare lower receiver I have that will be sporting one of the XTR3 3.3-18 scopes, for when they do come out.
As others have mentioned, this is a fine time for good optics and precision shooting!!!

Reactions: Birddog6424
Like Winny I don't want to derail the thread. But in a nutshell it appears that he had position and cheek weld on his rifle, was looking through his scope, and upon moving his rifle, bumped the barricade and accidentally discharged his weapon, missing the target by two feet.

He discussed it with the RO, who thought it was a non-issue. But Jim thought otherwise. He finished the match then asked the MD to remove him.

Integrity in spades right there!

After hunting season I'm going to pick up a new optic in the sub $1600 range. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Cronus but the new XTRIII sounds very interesting. Excited to learn more, thanks for the updates!

Last edited:
Burris made a decision to not utilize the full length of travel of the erector system and potentially compromise the quality of the sight picture and eyebox. I think the eyebox and the glass were the two most often mentioned detriments of the XTR II, and the decision makers in Greeley are determined to overcome all the weaknesses of that scope line and bring a solid, well-rounded, well-liked scope to market.

This right here is what has my attention the most regarding this scope. It drives me nuts to spend a large sum of money (too me anyway) on a scope, have it be the cats ass in terms of reliability/tracking/turrets and not be able to use the last two powers of magnification due to darkening/too tight of an eyebox/etc.

I can't decide if I should wait or get a Vortex Razor HD 2 in 27x I have two XTR 2 models already and the 25x gets blurry 22x through 25x

Sorry fellas, work has been killing me. HAvnt even unpacked my rifle yet. Still pretty excited about winning the Top Tac. SOme darn tough competition I feel very proud to have beat. There were over 50 darn good invite only open shooters that didn't beat this poor little 3-0h-H8!!

I don't get involved in drama. I wont comment on what happened. I don't do pity parties. If you would like to start a separate thread about how you can win a match by DQ'ing, feel free to do so. Dumbest thing ive ever heard.

I can't decide if I should wait or get a Vortex Razor HD 2 in 27x I have two XTR 2 models already and the 25x gets blurry 22x through 25x

Tough call. I loved everything about my GenII other than the lame locking knobs that I would accidentally lock almost every time I dialed (reason I sold), and that it weighed 4 lbs. You def cant make a wrong choice here. Ive only seen a couple Gen II's go down and they have great glass.

As mentioned, its a good time to be a scope purchaser!!

Some more details
3-18
13" and 28 ozs

5-30
15" and 33 ozs

Regards
DT

Last edited:
My initial thought was to go with the 3-18 because of hunting and wanting a wide FOV on low power, but if the FOV on the low end of the 5-30 is good as I am hearing then stepping up to a 5-30 is a no brainer. Either way I won't be in the early adopter camp because I find illum worth it when hunting with a FFP scope on lowest power at dawn and dusk and I can wait until summer '19 for the illum models to roll out. Wonder if they will have to increase the reticle thickness to add the illumination.