• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 FFP mildot spotter

delixe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2014
Valley Forge, PA
When the subject of spotting scopes with reticles comes up, this model occasionally makes it into the discussion.
Bushnell stopped making them a few years back, but I always said I'd buy one if the opportunity presented itself.
Last week someone posted a link to new old stock units for sale on Amazon so I bought one of the last ones, and it showed up this weekend.

The scope seems solid enough but of course only time (and a few drops) will tell for sure. It's fairly compact and would fit nicely in a backpack. The stay-on cover is pretty decent, with what seems like adequate padding, pretty well thought out Velcro to hold the flaps out of the optical path, and loops for the included strap. The controls feel pretty good, although I wish the focus was a bit faster. Also, the foldup rubber eye cup is a little chintzy, but it works, and I'm able to arrive at a setting that prevents veiling at all magnifications (for my eye). Hopefully the rubber doesn't dry rot any time soon.

I didn't buy this scope with any intent of using the bipod it comes with, so I'm not disappointed by what a wobbly POS it is.

Through the years I've read a few reviews and opinions have varied widely about the optical performance. Unless the optical "recipe" changed during its production, the reviewers who rated the glass as great probably have never used top tier optical instruments. Early on I went through some cheap scopes and spotters of Chinese origin and the resolution of this scope would probably impress anyone raised on sub-$150 scopes and spotters.
I've never used a Mark 4 Leupold spotter but I seriously doubt this sub-$400 Bushnell is in the same league... but for the price, I don't expect it to be, either.
While I'm not going to sell off my Zeiss Diascope 85 just yet, I think the brightness and resolution will be adequate for my purpose, spotting splash and hits in the dirt for corrections.

One annoyance I noticed is that it's not possible to arrive at a diopter setting where the reticle is in perfect focus at the extremes of magnification, at least for my eye.. I have it set now to focus the reticle at top mag at the expense of focus at low mag, but it's only slightly out at 15x, and my eye can compensate for it. I figure I'll mostly need the reticle at high magnification, and I can always twist the diopter in the field if need be. It's a compromise that I'm willing to live with.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. Until another manufacturer steps up, this model is the only thing like it in its price range.

Last edited:
I am glad you mentioned the reticle/ diopter discrepancy, as I have always been curious about that with these spotters. Just like you, I always said I would give it a shot if one surfaced. However, I believe you beat me to it...Sportsmans Warehouse? LOL...just my luck! Nonetheless, I am sure another will pop up in the near future. Although, I wish I could get my hands on the mil-hash reticle, vice the mil-dot. Mainly because last year I started teaching my brother how to mil with his reticle on the new scope I made him buy...hahaha. While the conversions are easy for most like us, my brother, on the other hand, is still very green! Keep us posted on how she holds up, my friend. Happy shooting!

I have one and it was screwed up out of the box. I should have returned it but by the time I really got to using it, it was too late.

Anytime you adjust the magnification, it turns the glass or whatever the reticle is on and rotates it in the direction you turned the mag setting. You literally have a spinning reticle that you can never trust to be straight.

I wanted to send it in, and they told me over the phone chances are since they don't make them anymore they will just be sending me out some POS spotter that is in the price range of the Excursion, and it does not have a reticle. Yay.

Hey man, I just got mine in the mail a few days ago. I whipped it out to play with it and there were some good things and some bad things about it.
Things I like:
It came with a nice carrying case that the included tripod can strap on to.
The glass seems good enough for me - I played with the magnification/focus for awhile and everything looked good.

What I don't like:
If you leave the scope hooked up to the tripod on the lowest level, the setup will fall over.
There is no scope elevation lock on the tripod, I wonder if any tripods have that.

Overall:
I'm happy to have it, but I need to look to see if I can get a better tripod.

Last edited:
I have a Manfrotto for my HOG saddle and it is solid. My gear takes a beating, so if it holds up for me I like to pass on the info. They're a bit pricey, but the most sturdy of any I've used. I have a mounting plate that stays connected to the saddle and secures nicely into a QD mount on the tripod...same could be done for a spotter I'm sure. That's what I was going to try if I picked on of these up anyway. I've never heard a single positive review in regards to the tripod the Excursion comes with. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think goodwill will complement it.

One of the best investments you can make is a good tripod.
I bought one of these and I like it a lot.
It will not go low enough for bench use but it will go as high as you could possibly need, it is strong and relatively light and the fluid head is fantastic.
Zeiss Manfrotto Carbon Tripod with Fluid Head On Sale!

This is the cheapest I can find it for right now.
I got mine from the same place a year ago for $90 less, but I think this is still a good deal.

If you end up getting one and need extra adapter plates (a must) I found compatible ones on fleabay for a good price... shoot me a PM and I can find them for you.

I like the fluid head so much I bought another one and adapted it to a $40 Giottos low tripod for bench/prone use.

Last edited:
One of the best investments you can make is a good tripod.
I bought one of these and I like it a lot.
It will not go low enough for bench use but it will go as high as you could possibly need, it is strong and relatively light and the fluid head is fantastic.
Zeiss Manfrotto Carbon Tripod with Fluid Head On Sale!

This is the cheapest I can find it for right now.
I got mine from the same place a year ago for $90 less, but I think this is still a good deal.

If you end up getting one and need extra adapter plates (a must) I found compatible ones on fleabay for a good price... shoot me a PM and I can find them for you.

I like the fluid head so much I bought another one and adapted it to a $40 Giottos low tripod for bench/prone use.

What is an adapter plate? Is that the thing that screws into the scope, then to the base? I can't really buy anything nice for awhile, I need to save for a trip coming up.

Darn,

I've been searching for this spotter for awhile now. Where was the link posted? If anyone doesn't want their spotter, I am a buyer for it (as long as it performs well).

What is an adapter plate? Is that the thing that screws into the scope, then to the base? I can't really buy anything nice for awhile, I need to save for a trip coming up.

The adapter plate is secured to the scope.
Once attached, it slips into the tripod head in a few seconds; it slips into a dovetail and a security pin keeps it from sliding out, then you tighten a clamp on the side of the head to secure it.
With the Bushnell Excursion, you can mount the plate off center on the scope and tighten the plate off center in the tripod head to offset the terrible balance the location of the mounting hole in the spotter creates.
If you end up with more than 1 instrument that you mount on the tripod, you'll want a plate for each, as it takes a few minutes to move it to another instrument (scope, binocular adapter, laser rangefinder, etc.).

*edit*
I just looked at the tripod included with the Excursion and it has an adapter plate, so my explanation was largely unnecessary (assuming you have the same tripod). The plates for the Zeiss (Manfrotto) tripod heads are cast aluminum and quite strong, unlike the one on the Bushnell tripod.
These are the ones I bought, they cost about 70% of what the Manfrotto adapters sell for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111228191009

Last edited:
The adapter plate is secured to the scope.
Once attached, it slips into the tripod head in a few seconds; it slips into a dovetail and a security pin keeps it from sliding out, then you tighten a clamp on the side of the head to secure it.
With the Bushnell Excursion, you can mount the plate off center on the scope and tighten the plate off center in the tripod head to offset the terrible balance the location of the mounting hole in the spotter creates.
If you end up with more than 1 instrument that you mount on the tripod, you'll want a plate for each, as it takes a few minutes to move it to another instrument (scope, binocular adapter, laser rangefinder, etc.).

*edit*
I just looked at the tripod included with the Excursion and it has an adapter plate, so my explanation was largely unnecessary (assuming you have the same tripod). The plates for the Zeiss (Manfrotto) tripod heads are cast aluminum and quite strong, unlike the one on the Bushnell tripod.
These are the ones I bought, they cost about 70% of what the Manfrotto adapters sell for.
501PL 1 4 20 3 8 Sliding Quick Release Plate for Manfrotto 501HDV 503HDV C P5 | eBay

That's what I thought the plate was. I believe I am forced to get another tripod sometime, but I don't think it will be in the next few months.

That's what I thought the plate was. I believe I am forced to get another tripod sometime, but I don't think it will be in the next few months.

You might improve the performance of your current bipod by hanging some weight from the bottom of the center mast.
Enough weight could eliminate the tipping issue and remove some of the tendency to shake but I believe the adapter plate/tripod head junction will allow some movement, so that will be the next weakest link.
It's worth a shot.

You might improve the performance of your current bipod by hanging some weight from the bottom of the center mast.
Enough weight could eliminate the tipping issue and remove some of the tendency to shake but I believe the adapter plate/tripod head junction will allow some movement, so that will be the next weakest link.
It's worth a shot.

I will definitely try that.

TheGerman is right. I sent mine in for repairs and got a POS in return with no reticle. I'm glad I didn't have too much invested, what's $350. Very disappointed with Bushnell and won't bother giving them another dollar of mine.

I used mine the past few days spotting and I really enjoyed it. I wish there were a few other people who were using mils on their scopes though, because I had a hard time converting the mils to inches for everyone who wanted inches.

I used mine the past few days spotting and I really enjoyed it. I wish there were a few other people who were using mils on their scopes though, because I had a hard time converting the mils to inches for everyone who wanted inches.

It's impossible to convert mils to inches as mils are angular and inches are linear.
If you mean mils to MOA (which do not subtend exactly to inches at 100 yards but it's close) go with 1 mil to 3.4 MOA

do not need to convert anything - if you stay within angular measurements.
both systems work

A year or so ago I hunted high and low for one of these because I wanted the Leupold MK IV and then I saw one of these I couldn't find one but I will keep looking and live in hope.

john

MilDot: put the word out to fellow Hiders, I'm sure someone has one they'd be willing to part with. Happy hunting, sir!

MilDot: put the word out to fellow Hiders, I'm sure someone has one they'd be willing to part with. Happy hunting, sir!

I might just do that I did a bit of a search here and did not see any of them, But I got in touch with the local retailers about that new coyote Bushnell and they want,

( Sit down and avoid all Sharp objects ) $2308.00 plus postage, But I have Learned if I say it Faster it don't Hurt So Much, Talk about Bad Luck

If it was Raining Virgins I'd get Hit with an Asshole, anyway while they are pickin on me they are leaving everyone else alone. lol,

Thanks again I will give that a Try, Blessin's John

MilDot: That was hilarious! However, I have come across a couple since January that members have decided to list. Albeit, the mildot version (vice milhash, which I was looking for), I'm sure you can appreciate, but an Excursion nonetheless! Keep your eyes peeled in the "Optics for sale" section and you might be surprised. Good luck, my friend! John M.

i have one i may part with but not sure about across the pond shipping.

I don't think I would be that Rude to expect a person to swallow that Cost, Cussin is one thing but taking the Pzzzzz is just Not Cricket Ole Chap

Blessin's John

MilDot: That was hilarious! However, I have come across a couple since January that members have decided to list. Albeit, the mildot version (vice milhash, which I was looking for), I'm sure you can appreciate, but an Excursion nonetheless! Keep your eyes peeled in the "Optics for sale" section and you might be surprised. Good luck, my friend! John M.

Id be happy with either one, It don't Matter coz Im blind in one eye and I cant see out the other, But Damn I look good at the Range,

The safest place is usually directly in front of Me.

Blessin's John

A year or so ago I hunted high and low for one of these because I wanted the Leupold MK IV and then I saw one of these I couldn't find one but I will keep looking and live in hope.

john

Id be happy with either one, It don't Matter coz Im blind in one eye and I cant see out the other, But Damn I look good at the Range,

The safest place is usually directly in front of Me.

Blessin's John

I picked one up earlier this year from a fellow Hider. I haven't even been back to the U.S. yet to check it out, I think it was the mildot version IIRC. If I mess with it and decide on something else I'll let you have it for what I paid for it.

I picked one up earlier this year from a fellow Hider. I haven't even been back to the U.S. yet to check it out, I think it was the mildot version IIRC. If I mess with it and decide on something else I'll let you have it for what I paid for it.

Great, well when you get done on your adventures give me a call, theres no panic so when your ready, Take Care.

Blessin's John

Great, well when you get done on your adventures give me a call, theres no panic so when your ready, Take Care.

Blessin's John

Maybe I'll hand-deliver, you can buy the pints at The White Horse on Parson's Green to cover "shipping".

Go The Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Nelson

Maybe I'll hand-deliver, you can buy the pints at The White Horse on Parson's Green to cover "shipping".

Go The Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Nelson

Im in, I have been Known to blow the Froth of a couple in my Time

I Avoid Hangovers since I discovered its so much easier to Stay Drunk, But I don't have an Alkieholl Problem coz I can buy it everywhere,

Its a Deal.

Blessins John

Im in, I have been Known to blow the Froth of a couple in my Time

I Avoid Hangovers since I discovered its so much easier to Stay Drunk, But I don't have an Alkieholl Problem coz I can buy it everywhere,

Its a Deal.

Blessins John

Exactly right my friend, and just remember that you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
My brother will be there on Monday and it's killing me to miss the trip.

Exactly right my friend, and just remember that you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
My brother will be there on Monday and it's killing me to miss the trip.

I have given up Drinking since Guzzling has Become Fashionable, It's the Latest thing.

If you want to send me a PM of what your plans are I can work in with what ever you want, Im going cold Turkey as we speak.

Its been 26 seconds and I still haven't got the shakes, so far so good

Blessin's John

Does anyone still have one of these in stock? I have been looking for one and missed out on the amazon sale.

Hey man, I just got mine in the mail a few days ago. I whipped it out to play with it and there were some good things and some bad things about it.
Things I like:
It came with a nice carrying case that the included tripod can strap on to.
The glass seems good enough for me - I played with the magnification/focus for awhile and everything looked good.

What I don't like:
If you leave the scope hooked up to the tripod on the lowest level, the setup will fall over.
There is no scope elevation lock on the tripod, I wonder if any tripods have that.

Overall:
I'm happy to have it, but I need to look to see if I can get a better tripod.

I got a great little Tripod off ebay and it is a table top model, it has the micro tilt screw on it. this is the one I got and they are German its very solid and it has handled scopes of all sizes and it is very stable I wouldn't have any other in my kit unless it was a Military version, here's the link,

Blessin's John

Table top Tripod for Spotting Scope, Spottingscope, FT02 | eBay

Mildot: Looks like you're in luck!

SPEAK: if More ldot doesn't scoop it up, I may have to. Mil-hash or Mildot reticle?

Mildot: Looks like you're in luck!

SPEAK: if More ldot doesn't scoop it up, I may have to. Mil-hash or Mildot reticle?

Yeah Mate, I have found two Im chasing you can have this one,

we could open an FLP store and corner the market, lol

Blessin's John

Haha the "in-stock" quantity of "3" will sell like hotcakes, and should net us about $6-7/ ea. Lol

I need two coz they cant make my Perscripsion glasses thick enough

Only sell them to people with double Vision coz they will think they are getting a bulk order,

John