• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Caldwell Crosswind meter is it any good?

rimfire22lr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
I bought this today on a whim. Is anyone using it? Are they any good for 22lr ELR work?
image0011.jpeg

"Nope" it's not made in chyna, or "Nope" you're not going to stop buying crap made in chyna? Make your point clear.
Jesus. Really. I think I was clear in my original post. I don't know if it is crap hence this post. I am asking about the quality and usefulness of the unit. I don't believe that everything made in China is crap and I don't have any nationalist. protectionist, racist objections to buying things just because they are made in China. Why are you on my thread with this nonsense? Is that clear enough for you?

Jesus. Really. I think I was clear in my original post. I don't know if it is crap hence this post. I am asking about the quality and usefulness of the unit. I don't believe that everything made in China is crap and I don't have any nationalist. protectionist, racist objections to buying things just because they are made in China. Why are you on my thread with this nonsense? Is that clear enough for you?
You are the problem. If you're not an American, I can understand your ignorance...it doesn't change my reply.

Why am I on "your thread"? Really? You post a thread, asking a question, then when you don't like the reply you want me to shut up? Go fuck yourself with a made in chyna dildo. How 'bout that?

You are the problem. If you're not an American, I can understand your ignorance...it doesn't change my reply.

Why am I on "your thread"? Really? You post a thread, asking a question, then when you don't like the reply you want me to shut up? Go fuck yourself with a made in chyna dildo. How 'bout that?
I asked for information about the unit. You have provided none. If you do not have any responsive information, why are you on the thread? You are free to continue to post whatever you like, but it seems needlessly antagonist.

I asked for information about the unit. You have provided none. If you do not have any responsive information, why are you on the thread? You are free to continue to post whatever you like, but it seems needlessly antagonist.
You have also provided "none". Is it made in chyna? If you know it is, (which you already know "it is"), you are free to post what ever you want also. I stand by my replies...

Stop buying crap made in chyna

Where is the kestrel made? Where are the plastics, sensors, circuit boards produced?

Find me anything electronic without China and I'll buy you a Mexican beer!

OP: it's Caldwell. It'll work ok until you look at it wrong, then it'll crumble. I use them for stuff I don't think I need. After I find myself using it enough to be annoyed at the cheesiness, I buy the good one and give the Caldwell away.

Reactions: rimfire22lr
Where is the kestrel made? Where are the plastics, sensors, circuit boards produced?

OP: it's Caldwell. It'll work ok until you look at it wrong, then it'll crumble. I use them for stuff I don't think I need. After I find myself using it enough to be annoyed at the cheesiness, I buy the good one and give the Caldwell away.
It's difficult, if not impossible; that doesn't make it right to ignore it all together.

Fuck Mexican beer....stupid people buy Corona, and put a lime or lemon wedge in it...because that's what stupid people do. Learn where that came from...I already know, but entardtain me with what you think you know, then I'll come back and tell you where it really came from. Heading for the hay, it's been fun. Catch up after work tomorrow. Beers.

reasonable reply and inline with my thoughts. if i like it and actually use it, i will buy a kestrel.

That wind meter is pure garbage. I bought one and it didn't read wind accurately at all. I took it back and ordered a Kestrel.

Reactions: Kenmc
I tried one quite awhile back and I'll hold my opinion about it.
Really the point you made in your original posting that should be addressed was the ELR.
No wind meter will substitute visually learning wind conditions for distance shooting. (@ shooters position)

If you use that meter as a teaching device it will suit you well.
Basically use it to verify your calls or guesses at different locations between the shooting platform and your target.

Make a call using mirage, vegetation or flags then walk on out with your Caldwell and see how close you were and then run that information through your BC of choice.
Enjoy!

Reactions: brianf and Kenmc
For what it's worth, Kestrel is designed and built in the USA, and they have a presence here on this site unlike Caldwell. All Caldwell will do is take your money and sell trash.

Reactions: Cowpokey
Hey OP, I didn't mean to crap on your thread...but I'm serious about "stop buying shit made in chyna". You would be better off to save up and get a Kestrel, don't mess around with the garbage. You waste money buying it, when you "upgrade" to the real deal.

I appreciate you bringing new shooters to the sport, for that, I'll buy you a Kestrel 5700 Elite, if you could use the help on that endeavor.

-Carter

Reactions: RTH1800
OP, it's been almost a day since I offered to buy/send you a Kestrel. Since you haven't responded, I'm going to suspend that offer for now. I still appreciate you bringing new shooters into the sport, if I can do anything to help you do that let me know.