• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Carbine and Rifle Training - Michigan/Ohio area

dfwm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
MI
I would appreciate recommendations for two classes. The first would be for Defensive Carbine and the other for Long Range Rifle.

I have no military or LEO training but have been shooting for a long time and "comfortable" with many types of firearms.

I have chosen an AR15 as a carbine weapon. It has an EoTech and I have a standard (non-tactical) scope that I can mount on it.

I hope to purchase a "sniper" rifle/scope after I gain some experience. To start with, I will be using a Winchester Coyote in .308; as that is the most suitable gun I currently own. I am prepared to purchase a "tactical" Mil-dot scope before the class so I can learn to use it properly. From the reading I have done on this site it will be a FFP model.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Re: Carbine and Rifle Training - Michigan/Ohio area

Depends on where you are in the continuum.

Carbine - If you currently are HIGHLY proficient in basic weapon manipulation and situational engagement to include but not be limited to - understanding mechanical offset, changing mags with the weapon shouldered, clearing all manner of failures, effectively engaging from all manner of positions to include roll over prone and fighting from the ground up, transitions from carbine to HG, low light, understanding the basics behind how to work a corner, a T intersection, a room, in and around vehicles, both individually and in a group, shooting / reloading / transitioning on the move; AND you are safety oriented, as well as capable and comfortable working in a group setting - then you should probably seek out a training environment that is tailored to what you want to work on - and you should probably encourage a buddy or two to go as well. If you are not, then I would encourage that you seek out a reputable trainer and take a basic carbine / urban rifle / patrol rifle class that is geared toward some legal, some basic this is how the weapon works, this is what we do when it fails, this is how we run the gun in the widest variety of plausible scenarios that most civi / patrol LE could potentially encounter. Then over the next year or so - work diligently and consistently on everything you learned.

Later, take a class that is more oriented toward what you want to work on based on what you think is important. Do not get into a class that is beyond your abilities. Do not be 'that guy'. Go to any class with an attitude of 'mouth closed, ears and eyes open, and their way is not the only way, but another way. It is up to you to put the work in and see how you can incorporate, or discard it for something better. To quote Super Dave - there isn't necessarily a right way or a wrong way, but there sure as hell are some things that are more efficient.

If you are just now about to purchase a MIL Dot optic - I am going to go out on a limb here and say you need a basic LR class.

Good luck

Re: Carbine and Rifle Training - Michigan/Ohio area

Don,
It is in the works for Rifles Only to do a class in Michigan this summer. It is in the beginning stages right now but we are hoping everything will fall into place soon.