• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

carbon fiber skins?

ColinH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
I am looking at doing a build on an AICS. What I was wondering is if anybody knows a shop that does custom carbon fiber fabrication. I was looking to have the skins of an AICS replicated for a direct replacement on the chassis. Would give it a different look. Does anybody know a shop that could do this? Has anybody done this? Any foreseeable issues that might come up because of it?

Re: carbon fiber skins?

.....why?

if you have the money I am sure "someone" will do it.

If you just want the look, call freedom graphix in OK and ask for Hondo.

Would cost $1000's of dollars to make a mold to hand lay these up. Since it's just the "look" you are after there are plenty of "water dip film transfer" company that can cover your skins with a a carbon fiber look film.

I was just thinking of options for a different look. It will mostly be a range rifle, I have no need to be invisible in the bushes or grass. Some people use paint schemes, some do camo, why not a carbon fiber look? I've no idea on what the cost would be, just an idea as of now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Would cost $1000's of dollars to make a mold to hand lay these up. Since it's just the "look" you are after there are plenty of "water dip film transfer" company that can cover your skins with a a carbon fiber look film. </div></div>

There ya go......

Dick is one of the largest names in the business.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Would cost $1000's of dollars to make a mold to hand lay these up. Since it's just the "look" you are after there are plenty of "water dip film transfer" company that can cover your skins with a a carbon fiber look film. </div></div>

I think this is the best way to go if you want a carbon-fiber look. It is extremely cost-prohibitive unless you just have money to burn and you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE carbon fiber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColinH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just thinking of options for a different look. It will mostly be a range rifle, I have no need to be invisible in the bushes or grass. Some people use paint schemes, some do camo, why not a carbon fiber look? I've no idea on what the cost would be, just an idea as of now. </div></div>

Dip them

http://www.freedomgraphix.com/CarbonFiber.html

http://www.freedomgraphix.com/Designer.html

Thanks Chiller

Looks like a good alternative. And most likely MUCH cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the structure (and weight) is not in the skins.</div></div>

I realize this. Skins are exactly that, just a covering. I wasn't looking for weight reduction or reinforcement, just something that could potentially be appealing to the eye, or quite ugly in the worse case. The water transfer thing looks cheaper and less permanent and probably wouldn't be to hard to remove in the event I don't like it.