• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carrying condition 0 with modern equipment?

Called walther today, was told the weapon is drop safe condition 0 🤷‍♂️

Still looking for how mechanically it’s less safe to carry the 6.3lb .2” trigger walther condition 0, than carrying a striker, many have less pull
Well, in a striker fired pistol, the striker is not in the fully cocked position when the trigger is at rest. That is not the case with a cocked hammer fired pistol. You are playing with one less safety feature, right off the bat.

Reactions: Whatever
Well, in a striker fired pistol, the striker is not in the fully cocked position when the trigger is at rest. That is not the case with a cocked hammer fired pistol. You are playing with one less safety feature, right off the bat.

This could go to a point that we should CCW with unloaded guns, as it’s even more safe.

So it’s really how unsafe is it?
Walther says it’s still drop safe condition 0, trigger pull is about the same as sig 365.
I get the hammer is under tension, so are 1911s, but we all figure they are safe enough like that. Just trying to figure how unsafe, say compared to a sig 365, it is to carry a new PPKS condition 0 in a proper stiff holster, 10% more dangerous? 100% more dangerous?

This could go to a point that we should CCW with unloaded guns, as it’s even more safe.

So it’s really how unsafe is it?
Walther says it’s still drop safe condition 0, trigger pull is about the same as sig 365.
I get the hammer is under tension, so are 1911s, but we all figure they are safe enough like that. Just trying to figure how unsafe, say compared to a sig 365, it is to carry a new PPKS condition 0 in a proper stiff holster, 10% more dangerous? 100% more dangerous?
It’s roughly as safe as a 1911 carried in condition 0, with a disabled grip safety…

I have a Makarov, when I flip the decocker/ safety lever, it drops the hammer. Obviously it’s designed to do that, but it makes me pucker when I know the hammer will drop with a round in the chamber. Other than that it’s a novel old piece.
But, No way in the world I would carry it condition 0,

Does the makarov also have all the drop safe, hammer block stuff?

Since the firing pin is free floating I suppose one could argue it is not 100% drop safe. I don’t know.
There is no hammer block. The makarov is literally like one of the simplest pistols ever built with I think 27 total parts.
With safety lever up on safe, the hammer is down and there is a physical obstruction to prevent the hammer from reaching the firing pin.
Theoretically while on safe, a piece of gravel could get in between the hammer and firing pin creating a potentially dangerous condition if it was then struck with force. But anyways, I digress…

Always wanted one of those, but wouldn’t CCW it.

Falls or something and shoots the hand that feeds it 🤷‍♂️

I might be asking about condition 0 on a new PPKS, but it’s at least fully drop safe.

Yeah yeah, don’t drop it

But some asshole hits me on my bike, land on my strong side and not only have road rash but the fucker shoots me too, not a good day

Appendix inside the waistband in condition 0. Then you shouldn’t land on it. 🤣.
I have carried it on occasion, on safe or else empty chamber. It was all I had when I had to shoot an injured black bear.

Yeah, with the women I date, some crazy chick tries to kick me in the nuts, or cop a feel, and I get my boys blown off, nooooope lol

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
So -------- dao, sa/da, sa, decocker, and if you can't decide get a fn.

Favorite, government 45 if your a trigger whore and want a reliable safety.

That ugly thing on top of your neck is supposed to be a safety.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Appendix inside the waistband in condition 0. Then you shouldn’t land on it. 🤣.
I have carried it on occasion, on safe or else empty chamber. It was all I had when I had to shoot an injured black bear.
The only way I’m carrying AIWB is if the gun has Ned Christiansen’s Fall Arrest installed. Won’t ever be able to pack my PPK/S but if I did, it would be in a Miami Classic.

So -------- dao, sa/da, sa, decocker, and if you can't decide get a fn.

Favorite, government 45 if your a trigger whore and want a reliable safety.

That ugly thing on top of your neck is supposed to be a safety.

FN?

As our fearless geriatric n chef says
4axvdp.gif

Size wise, it’s like some doctor who shit, the PPKS blends in better than my smaller and lighter 938, but the lack of night sights and being a 380 vs 9mm, different mission profile

Ideally if I wanted a perfect trigger Id cram my SVI down my pants, but that’s not a viable day to day choice as that’s living life around the gun lol

The only way I’m carrying AIWB is if the gun has Ned Christiansen’s Fall Arrest installed. Won’t ever be able to pack my PPK/S but if I did, it would be in a Miami Classic.

Pocket carry, it works well with that thing

I would consider it but kali limits you to four guns and I’m not willing to give up my P938 for the small gun slot. I suspect that the only time I’ll ever carry my PPKS is in a tux. I understand that your situation is different.

Is it completely safe? No. Neither is carrying any gun. As safe as mine and probably safe enough? Sure.

I’m a 1911 guy through and through. Searers can break though. Would I pack a DA/SA? Not without quite a bit of practice.

You do you. Just don’t point it at your nuts.

My point is, as someone who understands how they work, and understanding the modern PPKS has hammer block, why is carrying it condition 0 dangerous, or anymore dangerous than a G19 with a trigger job?
A Glock has three safeties present that must be overcome in the proper sequence for it to fire. Can the same be said for your PPKS?

A Glock has three safeties present that must be overcome in the proper sequence for it to fire.
NONE of which stop it from being fired if the trigger is pulled, pushed or whatever. I just hate hearing 'safety' bandied about, don't want folks thinking it won't go bang unless it's intentional...

I shot DA/SA Sigs for years, both in competition and as my main duty pistol. I never had a problem with the longer and heavier DA pull. And on closer targets that were pretty much point shooting, I consistently got the first round on target faster than my friends who carried Glocks. And that was with stock trigger and springs. SA, the 3.5 lb SIG trigger was lighter than the 5 lb Glocks everyone else had but the 10 lb DA did require more attention. I would never carry it hammer back, even with the firing pin safety. Spend more time learning the DA trigger, get it tuned professionally, or get a different gun.

The video above by 308pirate with Ernest Langdon is a good one. In case you don't think a DA trigger can be fast, Langdon won the 2003 IDPA National Championship in CDP shooting a SIG P220 45 ACP. He beat all others in that division, most of whom were shooting custom 1911 pistols.

True of GLOCKS. It is not generally true of all striker fired pistols. Most other striker guns have the striker fully cocked.

But, they do have multiple internal safeties, and this condition 0 with a SA stuff is for zeros.

No way will I carry appendix.

Bruh..... The pistol is pointed neither at your balls nor at your femoral artery. That's fudd bullshit from people who've never done it.

It's literally the most comfortable, most accessible way to carry a pistol.

Reactions: Shoots 700's
Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock

Tipical fan boy shit mostly from burnt out has bins no longer employed by the commie regime.

They drill that shit in your sheep brain and you just can't cut it the fuck loose. Ever.

Refuse to he seen with one, even the ones that would suit me so as not to be one of the lemmings.

3, 2, 1,

Bruh..... The pistol is pointed neither at your balls nor at your femoral artery. That's fudd bullshit from people who've never done it.

It's literally the most comfortable, most accessible way to carry a pistol.

Plus the easiest to conceal and verify it’s concealed (discretely), most defensible, most accessible from the ground, and the list goes on.

“But muh balls!” 🙄

If you’re not a tub of lard, it’s the best carry position in a fight for a lot of reasons. And if you actually train and practice some self control, you won’t shoot your balls off, contrary to popular Fudd wisdom.

If you are a tub of lard, working on that is a lot more important that what gun you carry or how.

I wonder how many guys in this thread carry with the idea of “sure hope I’m never in a fight, but if I am I’ll just pull out this here piece and shoot ‘em”. I bet it’s a lot.

Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock

Tipical fan boy shit mostly from burnt out has bins no longer employed by the commie regime.

They drill that shit in your sheep brain and you just can't cut it the fuck loose. Ever.

Refuse to he seen with one, even the ones that would suit me so as not to be one of the lemmings.

3, 2, 1,

I see you’re carrying on your tradition of being as stupid and stubborn as possible.

Goood ol Snooby, can’t even spell his screen name right but already knows everything there is worth knowing.

I’m sure it is. And I don’t worry about my Glock going off. And I practice and practice trigger control.
But I carry with a suit and tie on, how can i appendix carry with a shirt tucked in?
By using a tuckable holster? Just a wild guess…

Seriously, you’re not the first to have these concerns. You just haven’t really done your research on it yet.

I’ve carried AIWB in a tux (without a belt, no less) at two different weddings in the last few years, and was a groomsman and a best man so I was right up front. Nobody gave any indication of noticing, and I watch for that pretty carefully.

Reactions: 308pirate
really? Cool!
And I you are right I haven’t done research on it. Goes under the tucked shirt?
Just always have carried on the hip.
Yep. A tuckable holster just has the belt loops or clip attached to another flap that reaches to the bottom of the holster roughly, so your shirt can go between that and the gun.

Strong side carry isn’t horrible, but it sure sucks when you’re on the ground and the gun is underneath you. It’s also a lot harder to conceal well as you move around, and a lot easier for someone who sees it to make a grab from behind. Just to name a few downsides.

But - I highly recommend getting some quality training on this stuff, and Don just go by what you read online. That can be harder said than done though, since there are some pretty bad trainers out there.

Last edited:
I’m sure it is. And I don’t worry about my Glock going off. And I practice and practice trigger control.
But I carry with a suit and tie on, how can i appendix carry with a shirt tucked in?

Like @Yondering said, tuckable holsters FTW. I prefer Tier 1 Concealed after trying three other different brands.

One more benefit of AWIB: driving. It's super easy to access compared to being on your side, and if you have a car with heavily bolstered seats (like mine) a pistol at 3 - 4 o'clock is pure torture because the seat bolster pushes the pistol right into your side. I've drive 7 hrs straight with a Glcok 19 in a Tier 1 Concealed Xyphos with zero discomfort.

my thoughts exactly.. “Never have to use it in anger..” 🙄.. seriously? Didn’t give that statement much thought..

WTF?

Yeah, I haven't had to use a pistol in anger and I hope I never do.

I would absolutely NOT carry my P226 DA/SA cocked. That is the whole point of the DA portion of that platform. Hammer down, one in the pipe. Still condition Zero but the long, heavier (still not that heavy on a tuned gun) makes it "safe" or safer requiring a more deliberate action. Train for the transition if you are carrying that way.

True of GLOCKS. It is not generally true of all striker fired pistols. Most other striker guns have the striker fully cocked.

But, they do have multiple internal safeties, and this condition 0 with a SA stuff is for zeros.
this is absolutely correct.

as for carrying in condition zero with a da/sa...i have no problem with that for my cz p-07. would not with a 1911 though.

i see little difference in a sa/da that is condition zero and a striker gun.

I would absolutely NOT carry my P226 DA/SA cocked. That is the whole point of the DA portion of that platform. Hammer down, one in the pipe. Train for the transition if you are carrying that way.

But mechanically why?

Now if you were to say this about some original early say 1920s DA SA that didn’t have drop safe features, I agree.

i see little difference in a sa/da that is condition zero and a striker gun.

The amount of force and travel it takes to trip a Glock (or similar trigger) is several times greater than the amount of force and distance it takes to trip the SA trigger of my P-07, P-09, 75BD, and even more than what it takes to trip the cocked trigger of my S&W 915.

You do what you want, but I want to make sure other don't follow your stupid lead out of ignorance.

The amount of force and travel it takes to trip a Glock (or similar trigger) is several times greater than the amount of force and distance it takes to trip the SA trigger of my P-07, P-09, 75BD, and even more than what it takes to trip the cocked trigger of my S&W 915.

You do what you want, but I want to make sure other don't follow your stupid lead out of ignorance.

The P365 is the same as the PPKS in SA mode, got some screen shots in this thread I think

look man..... i had a S&W MP45c that was probably easier to touch off a round than the P-07 is.

you're are awfully worked into a lather about this. i've practiced alot drawing my con-zero p-07 and never had an issue. finger doesnt go on the trigger until i come on target with any pistol.

for me, that DA pull is my safety...because i have to be fully committed to the shot, but speed and accuracy with a 10lb pull isn't an issue for me after 30 years...
personally would not carry in con 0, but that's just me.

But mechanically why?

Now if you were to say this about some original early say 1920s DA SA that didn’t have drop safe features, I agree.
Assuming a good holster, It's not the carrying that I would be most concerned with but the draw/transition/whatever crazy situation that can be imagined. You touch that trigger cocked and it's going off. Properly tuned the double action pull is completely manageable. If you want to carry same pull all shots, go striker or SA with a safety. I daily a P365. Love my tuned Legion P226 but it's big.

look man..... i had a S&W MP45c that was probably easier to touch off a round than the P-07 is.

you're are awfully worked into a lather about this. i've practiced alot drawing my con-zero p-07 and never had an issue. finger doesnt go on the trigger until i come on target with any pistol.
Like I said, I don't give a shit what you do.

I'm just pointing out to others why what you do is stupid.

Called walther today, was told the weapon is drop safe condition 0 🤷‍♂️

Still looking for how mechanically it’s less safe to carry the 6.3lb .2” trigger walther condition 0, than carrying a striker, many have less pull

The P365 is the same as the PPKS in SA mode, got some screen shots in this thread I think
So as long as the length of pull is acceptable, I'll buy this. Crap heavy long (likely gritty) single action pull with drop protect features = as safe as my P365 with similar weight/length pull. A proper DA/SA single action, P226 (or similar, what I personally own) tuned to approach DA/SA single action revolver/1911 trigger, no way. If the single action is a crap trigger like that, why not just carry the striker gun? What is the point/advantage of the DA/SA gun carried single action other than maybe you already own it?

Like I said, I don't give a shit what you do.

I'm just pointing out to others why what you do is stupid.

well then.....ok boss man.

edit; look, i dont sport round in Con-0 but if i did and i have, it doesnt scare me because its like carrying a striker gun. i dont understand the brain lock on that. training is everything with any pistol.

gotta get back to work now.

Last edited:
One question for the one really into the PPK/S:
Have you handled and fired the PPK/S in .380 ?

My impressions from handling one were, heavy, blocky and I'll take any one of a number of 9mm pistols over it.
Others that shot it said the recoil felt less pleasant than many 9mm pistols.

These days with virtually all modern pistols having a trigger block that will not allow a primer strike unless the trigger is pulled via different types of internal trigger linked safety features….

Aside from more safeties more better, with a proper holster and trigger control is there any reason not to carry a modern hammer fire DA/SA condition 0?
My experience requires that I say yes, there is a reason - Murphy's Law.

Murphy dictates that your AD will happen at the worst possible time, caused by a gust of wind, or some such nonsense, which just manages to blow the corner of your shirt into your trigger guard upon reholstering. The more certain you are with the safety of your method, the more likely your own progeny will be in the line of fire - as you bend over to pick up your brand new Stetson, coincidentally blown off your head by the same gust.

...If it CAN go wrong, it will.

In all seriousness - dedicate 100 rounds per month to train though the transition and see how you feel about it. Focusing on relaxation, smooth motion and accuracy: Draw, fire 2 rounds, decock and re holster. If you fly the 10 ring, slow down.

Murphy's law of proportionality states that this expenditure is inversely proportional to the odds of engaging in a quick draw contest.

Personal opinion it’s not a good idea. A Glock or allot of striker fired pistols have more take up leaving room for error in trigger discipline and just somehow bumping the trigger on accident. Two stories come to mind, I believe it was in Lubbock Texas years as go a guy had a 1911 cocked and it fell out of his jacket at a cafeteria and fired hitting some guy in the ass. The second one just made me laugh from my hometown, a guy was going to the john at a restaurant and didn’t want to drop his pants and his gun touch the floor, so he took a cocked 1911 and hung it on the stall jacket hook from the trigger guard. He bumped it upwards in the process. It fired, but the recoil made it keep firing on the hook until empty. I don’t know if there was a guy in the next stall but if there was he traumatized about public johns forever.

One question for the one really into the PPK/S:
Have you handled and fired the PPK/S in .380 ?

My impressions from handling one were, heavy, blocky and I'll take any one of a number of 9mm pistols over it.
Others that shot it said the recoil felt less pleasant than many 9mm pistols.

Yup, got it a month ago, had some of the edges un sharpened a little by the beaver tail, great little gun.

It is heavy as it’s all stainless, but blocky? That’s the inverse of the PPK/S, one of the reasons I like the PPKS, though it’s not replacing some of my other CCWs, is the smooth lines, very snag free, and though it weighs more than my slightly smaller and lighter sigs, it carries well (at least as a tall medium build man) and really doesn’t print with the flush mag, shooting it has a very nice natural point of aim, something many newer guns lack, and it very accurate on its first box of ammo and my first time shooting it, it’s not a do it all carry gun, but worthy of being in rotation.

Last edited:
Loaded or NOT. The Primary Safety on ANY firearm is muzzle direction!

Any other mechanical safety device(s) is Extra.

A tax payer sponsored professional Dancing out of control with his Muzzle Direction out of control when he picked up the pistol with his finger inside the trigger guard. GrassHopper, no further teachings necessary.

View attachment 7900691

LIke father, like son....didn't know Alec Baldwin had a son in FBI......

trigger pull weight is not the only metric.

while the pull weights may be similar.....the 365 requires what? an inch of travel to fire a round.....the PPKs requires ~1/16"

that is a very significant factor

Did a little quick check with what I had just off hand

The new PPKS, SA mode, advertised as 6lbs, feels right

A06912-EE-A3-BF-4-CDF-B496-531514-A6-E429.jpg

Second is a gen3 Glock based weapon with a CMC trigger, just a hair under 5lbs.

BED14-C4-B-3-AEF-4-EE5-AC68-32-F3-A1148-AEE.jpg

Last edited:
Let’s all rock our revolvers loaded and cocked! What could go wrong???

No let’s not…

Another interesting point

How much of that is just rote carry over from the old days?

With pretty much every modern revolver having a transfer bar or similar, you could do whatever, fall, bash against a wall, pistol whip some one lol, it ain’t going boom unless you pull the trigger.

So we have a few factors logically

1, a proper holsters #1 job is to guard the trigger, I think everyone agrees there, as the trigger is the only realistic way modern weapons will fire

2, we have two thoughts on methods of safety, external safety, or no external safety

2a
With external safety we feel much more comfortable having very light triggers with but a cunts hair of travel

2b
With no external safety, we like to have a little more weight and travel on the trigger

Am I missing anything?

just make sure when you are measuring the PPK....there is pre travel where there is pretty much no weight required to pull it, then you hit the wall where its 6 lbs....then you have a good bit of over travel.

i measured mine and it was right around ~1/16"

on a factory glock, from the wall to the break was ~1/4"

so a revision of what i posted earlier, but i was trying to recall trigger pulls from memory.
I first took measure with the trigger in its “natural state” no force applied to it