• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Carrying extra ammo in the field...

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
I have been looking for a way to carry extra ammo for my bolt action rifles while in the field that would not be as noisy as the plastic MTM ammo boxes. I have heard of people using the plastic inserts that Federal uses in their packaging, or the ammo wallets / rolls. I was thinking of trying to sew my own roll that would carry 50 rounds of ammo, that could be tossed in a pack and carried. I made some measurements for both .223 and .308 and decided they would be huge and probably not work real well. I tried to put some foam in the top of the MTM boxes, but it was either too loose, or felt like I was putting pressure on the loaded rounds.

Then I had an epiphany, a magazine. I am sure others have probably done this, or thought of it, but it had never crossed my mind. I don’t recall ever seeing this done by anyone, but I can’t be the first person to have thought of this. I have a couple of 20rd PMags I got for my coyote hunting AR-15, and I kept the caps that go over the feed lips figuring it might help keep crud out of the mag. I pulled one of the PMags out, along with my .223 bolt action rifle and then realized the PMag would fit inside the Eagle stock pack with room to spare for tools and a DOPE card. I know this won’t work for a .308 or anything else bigger than a .223, but figured I would pass it along here as someone might find it a useful tip. Obviously bolt action rifles that use a detachable magazine already use this concept, but I had never thought of using a magazine as a way to carry ammo for a non-detachable magazine fed rifle. Even if you don’t use a stock pack or for bigger calibers, you could just carry the magazine in your pack or in a mag carrier.

Here are some pics to show the PMag in the stock pack:

Mag and pack
1-4.jpg

Mag IN pack
2-3.jpg

Partially zipped
3-2.jpg

Completely zipped
4-2.jpg

Completely zipped, another view
5-2.jpg

Re: Carrying extra ammo in the field...

Looks like a good idea. For about $20 you could buy a new 20 rd .308 PMAG. I'm no sure the dims. will fit your cheek pack though - someone else would have to chime in to confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo would have to be mag length tho, won't work too good for the Amax/VLD guys. </div></div>

DOH!!! Good point. Since I am shooting the 75gr AMAX in that rifle, I guess I will have to come up with something else for everything but the 50gr VMAX I use in my other rifle.

I also realized that with a mag you would have to put the fired brass somewhere else and then it would be rattling around. I like the ammo cards, I may have to go that route instead.

Thanks for the feedback

When I've had to carry extra ammo into the field or mission specific I simply used a sized rectangular Tupperware container. It would hold close to 70 rounds (.308) and it could be used for other items if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I've had to carry extra ammo into the field or mission specific I simply used a sized rectangular Tupperware container. It would hold close to 70 rounds (.308) and it could be used for other items if needed. </div></div>

Noisy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I've had to carry extra ammo into the field or mission specific I simply used a sized rectangular Tupperware container. It would hold close to 70 rounds (.308) and it could be used for other items if needed. </div></div>

Noisy? </div></div>

Not at all, in a pack if you have to, small rag or a great place to put your TP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.redtacgear.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13
</div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="color: #3333FF">
This is exactly what I use. Very secure and no noise. I have some that I have cut into two pieces down the middle. The cut down ones hold 10 rounds, but they fit in a pocket easier.

Bob
</span> </span> </span>

The only thing about bandoleer carriers is that you can often get a "ding" to the bullet point (packs and more recently drags don't protect everything all the time). While this is no problem for the vast majority it can be critical to a mission. Many of us found his out way back during Vietnam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing about bandoleer carriers is that you can often get a "ding" to the bullet point (packs and more recently drags don't protect everything all the time). While this is no problem for the vast majority it can be critical to a mission. Many of us found his out way back during Vietnam. </div></div>

That was not my experience. Nor is it my experience to this day, even at my age.
I've a Run an gun next month and will still be useing Bandoleers on that one. I've never got caught do to "Noise", or trashed a mission from useing them all these years. Then again, I might,... just be that lucky.

Lonewolf, do your burritos work for .338LM without making a one-off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lonewolf, do your burritos work for .338LM without making a one-off? </div></div>

No. They wouldn't fold and they would bend like a 'tater chip from the rounds pushing against each other.

I will have some more "magnum" Burritos soon.

I like lonewolfs 20 round burritos. I use two, one in my rig and one in my pack ready to swap out. enough material to protect the rounds, no open ends to ding projectiles, elastic is adjustable to make looser / tighter.

I think the 30 rounders are a bit excessive size wise but the 20 rounders are good to go in an AR double mag pouch.

This is my trick, two Triad 10 round mags inside each pouch lashed to TAB rifle cover Tony hot rodded for me. There is also a folding ammo pouch there that holds 20 rounds. Another 20 rounds go inside Triad large stock pack stuck in Fed plastic carrys. If I sling the stick to carry, the pouches go on Stu's scope / muzzle cover same way, lay cover under stick (see below) and have access to the mags.
011.jpg

Set up on a bench, works the same prone. While keeping shooting hand on rifle, dump mag on ground push away with left hand as left hand grabs mag from pouch and slaps mag in, never leave shooting position keeping eyes down range.
006.jpg

With the MOLLE sewn on the rifle cover by Tony at TAB, unlimited possibilities with pouches. I can get a whole day kit on just my stick / rifle cover. Working on spotter w/ tripod attach now, just ordered the tripod today. Bean bag is not seen but goes under last strap on the butt stock end.
010.jpg

Dammit 45.308!

I was barely able to get over the jealousy the first time you broke-out some pic's of your new custom TAB Gear. Now you gotta come along and show me some new one's.......
mad.gif

Why you bastard....Hahahahahaha!
laugh.gif

Looks great 45, and when you figure-out the spotter and tripod, please post some pic's.

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolf, do you make a 10 round holder for .50cal. ? Jim </div></div>

PM Sent

I have always just used the Federal plastic inserts. They hold everything very securely and you can use the tabs on the sides to strap them to things. Plus they can hold your spent shells to get them back more easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LoneWolf, do you make a 10 round holder for .50cal. ? Jim </div></div>

PM Sent </div></div>

After the same thing...please contact me.

~Mike

After trying quite a few different products I went back to NTM 20 round belt carrier for my 308.

I put foam in the bottom to raise the cartridges to a finger grabbing level. Then seated 20 185gr Scenars in a 308win to about 75mm coal, put them in the box, using small foam bits to to keep the as close as possible to the vertical axis. Mixed up polyurethane foam resin (put realease agent in the lid) and when settled and dry I cut the excess foam away.

Worked good for me and didnt sound like the icecream truck when walking, and a nice weekend project.

When in the field such as antelop hunting I put my spare ammo in the factory box plastic insert sleeves. Each sleeve holds 10 rounds from banging into each other and protects the tips too. I can stuff 4-5 in my backpack pouch and a couple in a magazine pouch. They're easy to access the rounds quickly too.

I keep the 100rd ct Sierra boxes that my bullets came in, you can stack 10 at a time in those if I recall.

The 50 rd boxes hold about 6 or 7...