• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Century 21 lathe vs Siclair 4000vneck turner

rmbgreen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
South Carolina
I shoot the GA Precision Crusader. A fantastic rifle.It holds a consistent .50 moa out to 300 yards that's the range limit.
Would turning necks make any real difference. I just started measuring case necks and there is alot of difference in the thickness even in Lapua. (cost way to much) I have time to trim to save the money. Which one would you use.

Re: Century 21 lathe vs Siclair 4000vneck turner

I'm in the middle of gauging some new Lapua brass right now. So far, almost every case is less than .002 (most less than .001) in neck wall variation. Maybe you got a bad lot. Even with new Win, I usually get 90%+ of a lot with less than .003. On the other hand, LC can give you 40%+ variation from fat to skinny side.

I've got the Sinclair 3000. It is very accurate but kinda slow. Even with the case spinner that mounts in a drill, there's only so fast you can go. I also have a Gracey neck shaver that's a lot faster. For either one, you usually have to run an expander mandrel into the necks to make them fit over the turner's mandrel. I use the Sinclair on my very best brass and the Gracey on stuff like IMI or LC for the M1A.

You can make good brass great, but you can't make bad brass good by turning. In the M1A, it doesn't last long enough for the bad to raise its head again after turning.

Re: Century 21 lathe vs Siclair 4000vneck turner

21st CSS turner is a good piece of reloading gear, the lathe is an attachment for it, I don't have the lathe attachment yet but will probably get it in the future, I have never used a Sinclair 4000 turner, it looks like a good tool, but the 21st was a good bit cheaper and was is usually instock, and shipping is included in the price.

I would recommend against turning 308Win cases, there is too much neck clearance, most chambers have a .342ish neck, by turning the necks the brass will have to expand more to seal the chamber, that will make exspensive LaPua brass have wear out faster unless annealing is done for every reloading.

.5moa at 300 is pretty good, I bet by further refining your reloading techniques you can reduce that to 1/4-3/8 MOA