• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamberings for a switch barrel rifle

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    Looking at putting together a switch barrel system and after some reading WTO seems like a good shop and an easy system. It ain’t no MRAD or AXMC but it won’t cost as much either.

Thinking a defiance action with an AX 338 chassis.

Now I come to the decision on chamberings. I know I want 308 and something 300 Mag and 338 Mag. I’m not sure if I should buy a bolt for standard (308 Win), mag (7mm Mag and/or 300 Win) and Lapua bolts with matching barrels or if I should just get the bolts / barrels for the 308 and shoot 300 / 338 Normas. Would save some $ on the bolt but give up functionality in the future.

Prices on Lapua and Norma ammo right now is pretty close and I think performance is too. I’d have to set up to reload any of the above except 308. I already own a 308 and 300 Win but the 300 is for hunting so I’d really just have a some donor cases to reload.

Which combo would you go with and why?

I know big army is looking at 338 Norma for sniper and MGs which should bring the Norma prices down eventually. But the Lapua has been around and many continue to shoot it.

Reactions: The D
    What action are you running that will run short action and magnum cartridges?

Reactions: spife7980
    A long action that accepts AXMC mags should run them. There are AXMC mags that fit a long action that hold 308 style cartridges. An AI chassis / mag combo with a defiance long action should have the length to run any of it

A long action that accepts AXMC mags should run them. There are AXMC mags that fit a long action that hold 308 style cartridges. An AI chassis / mag combo with a defiance long action should have the length to run any of it
    Maybe a krg Whiskey 3. You can run cip mags or just 3.715 mags. That way you can change that up with cals. That is what I run and I switch barrels not wto just barrel nuts on a arc nucleus.

Haven’t seen one for sale for a long time. I think I’d rather an MRAD anyway but the $900 barrels are a bit of a turn off when 700 style barrels are a little more than half that.

I know I should just stop being poor and give @THEIS my money

Really was hoping this would be more of a discussion on caliber / cartridge selection than action choice.

308 for practice and cheap thrills

300 Mag for 1,500 yds and in

338 Mag for extended ranges

Trying to decide which cartridges and I know I might want to try a 7mm someday haha. Standard magnum components seem like a good option to have but not sure if needed.

I run a 7mm-300 win mag really Fun for long range. A new 300 win mag. I got rid of my 6.5x55 because I started shooting farther and didn't use it anymore. But those options look great. How far are you planning on shooting?

Want to shoot as far as I can! I’m really looking for a rifle that will be a precision bolt gun that will be shot out to 1,500 for sure but maybe further. I’ve got gas guns that will get me to 1k but they don’t have the energy of a magnum

For what it's worth I'm able to shoot to 2100 yards at my range that I belong too. I shoot a lot to 1 mile. I've done it with 6.5x55 300 win mag 7mm rem 7mm-300 and 7mm max. I've seen 7mm saum other 300 win mags ect. And I have never felt the need for 338 cals for me. More money and performance wise I don't see much advantages with the new 30 cal and 7mm bullets. I say 308 for just a nice day of plicking and those long range days a long barreled 300 win mag 230 a-tips. Be a great switch barrel I think and plus you have dies and brass already for 300 win mag and lapua is making the brass now and its great

I run one WTO switch barrel setup and two rifles I switch the barrels out on a Short Action Customs modular barrel vise (all Proof carbons)

- 308 face WTO rig: 16.5" 22 Creedmoor, 26" full bull 6mm Creedmoor, and a 22" 7 SAW.
    20210208_200518.jpg

- Short Action Mag face: 24" 6.5 GAP throated for the 156's and a 22" 300 Sherman Short Mag
    20210530_141731.jpg

- Lapua face: 22" 300 Norma Mag 35° Improved and a 26" 338 Warthog (Robert Gradous design 40° Improved).
    20210913_174402.jpg

These calibers scratch every itch I have from coyotes to Yukon moose and everything between.

I have an Underground Skunkworks action in an AICS that I built a 7mm Rem Mag and 338RUM on. Works great, this was back when 338RUM brass was plentiful - glad I bought plenty. Thought about a 26Nosler or 264 win mag for the smaller round, but figured seeing hits way out there would be easier with the 7RM.

Why not choose everything? Even the .473 & .535 give you options from 22BR all the way to 338 edge

If I’m playing with your checking account I could see myself choosing several barrels for each bolt face

-22BR
    -6x47 Lapua
    -280ai
    -.30-06(maybe an ackley version)

-.257 blackjack
    -6.5 PRC
    -7 SAUM
    -300 WM(since you already have the reloading stuff) definitely get a long throated barrel to run the heavies
    -338 edge

If you step up to the .588 bolt face that opens up your options to the Tubb XC cartridges too, not just the Norma and Lapua rounds. There’s a pretty recent thread about someone shooting a 33XC out to 3000-ish yards

Haven’t seen one for sale for a long time. I think I’d rather an MRAD anyway but the $900 barrels are a bit of a turn off when 700 style barrels are a little more than half that.

I know I should just stop being poor and give @THEIS my money

Hi,

Waiting for you, lol

20210917_095242.jpg

Sincerely,
    Theis

Why not choose everything? Even the .473 & .535 give you options from 22BR all the way to 338 edge

If I’m playing with your checking account I could see myself choosing several barrels for each bolt face

-22BR
    -6x47 Lapua
    -280ai
    -.30-06(maybe an ackley version)

-.257 blackjack
    -6.5 PRC
    -7 SAUM
    -300 WM(since you already have the reloading stuff) definitely get a long throated barrel to run the heavies
    -338 edge

If you step up to the .588 bolt face that opens up your options to the Tubb XC cartridges too, not just the Norma and Lapua rounds. There’s a pretty recent thread about someone shooting a 33XC out to 3000-ish yards
    .473 I’d do 6BR and 280AI- that’s a really nice spread of two very capable cartridges.

.535 I already run 7 saum and 338 edge and have had both well past 3000 yards numerous times.

Reactions: The D
    .473 I’d do 6BR and 280AI- that’s a really nice spread of two very capable cartridges.

.535 I already run 7 saum and 338 edge and have had both well past 3000 yards numerous times.
    But remember, I’m playing with someone else’s money.

For my own rifle(someday) I may very well only choose 2 cartridges per bolt face but the allure of playing with 4 or 5 each is really strong

Reactions: rlsmith1