• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis - Cadex vs AI AX

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
So I've found a Cadex vs AI rifle thread ... but I've already got 3 x REM700 (1x.300WM, 2x.308) barreled actions, and just looking for more tooless adjustability/quality (anti-stuff comes loose ness) over the McRee G-5/G-10 I have now.

So I like the AI Mk13 mod 7 for the .300WM shown on both Euro and Mile High for $1,631.

For at least one of the .308s I am looking at the Cadex Lite Strike shown for $2,160 on Euro. Alternatively, the AX SA shown on MH for $1,670

Any thoughts comparing Cadex and AI AX chassis' welcome as well as thoughts on dealers ... I hear MH used to be a dealer for Cadex but are no longer ?? Are the Cadex worth 30% more? If so, why ??

Thanks !!!

Cadex is an equal to the AI chassis. The grip on the Cadex does feel a little better than the AI but there really is nothing wrong with either. The one thing I've seen with the Cadex is that with a heavy barrel you may not clear the hand guard. The one thing the Cadex does that the AI does not is the rail is integral from the action down the hand guard.

Cadex is an equal to the AI chassis. The grip on the Cadex does feel a little better than the AI but there really is nothing wrong with either. The one thing I've seen with the Cadex is that with a heavy barrel you may not clear the hand guard. The one thing the Cadex does that the AI does not is the rail is integral from the action down the hand guard.
FWIW, I have found that the Cadex Lite Comp fore end tube (which looks to be smaller than the others) WILL clear an M24 profile barrel without a problem.

From talking to the guys at mile high, Cadex was not able to keep up with demand that Mile High needed. So longer lead times was an issue.

I have 2 Cadex factory guns and 2 AXMCs. If your in CO and want to come shoot them, shoot me a PM. The Cadex is an awesome chassis system. You can't go wrong with it. I believe guys are running full bull barrels on them. Have to double check but I've seen pics of Cadex guns with bull barrels. Dont know the exact chassis. Will have to measure the opening when I get back to the house later in the week. Both are the Lite (folder) chassis guns.

Last edited:
Reactions: wigwamitus
From talking to the guys at mile high, Cadex was not able to keep up with demand that Mile High needed. So longer lead times was an issue.

I have 2 Cadex factory guns and 2 AXMCs. If your in CO and want to come shoot them, shoot me a PM. The Cadex is an awesome chassis system. You can't go wrong with it. Guys are running full bull barrels on them without an issue. Will have to measure the opening when I get back to the house later in the week. Both are the Lite (folder) chassis guns.

Interesting about the bull barrels, I've got a light competition chassis and a custom 700 with a heavy barrel and it wouldn't clear the hand guard so I ended up putting it in an AI. Not a problem, I put the wife's rifle in the Cadex instead. It is a top notch chassis.

Reactions: wigwamitus
Interesting about the bull barrels, I've got a light competition chassis and a custom 700 with a heavy barrel and it wouldn't clear the hand guard so I ended up putting it in an AI. Not a problem, I put the wife's rifle in the Cadex instead. It is a top notch chassis.

I think Cadex has some photos posted up with the proof CF full bull profile barrels. Have to see if I can find em.

Something else to consider: buy AICS AT 1.5 (non-folder), install AX butt kit. Total cost ~$1800-$1900

The light strike max barrel diameter is 1.350 on Cadex spec sheet off their website. Sounds like the comp chassis is much smaller based on your experience.

The light strike max barrel diameter is 1.350 on Cadex spec sheet off their website. Sounds like the comp chassis is much smaller based on your experience.

Maybe that is the deal. Its a great chassis. Could be a good strategy for a new rifle if a guy needed it. "Sorry honey but my rifle won't fit so I'll have to get another one that does!" LOL

If you are looking at that price range, I wouldn't overlook JAE. Comfiest chassis ever built, great build quality, design features, CS and accessories.

Ok, I've been able to rule out the mk13 mod7 AI chassis as this chassis requires spacers to adjust the LOP. I want to be able to go from Prone to tripod and back to Prone, quickly and unfortunately, for me, to optimize eyerelief, I need to adjust the LOP. I'm sure that is just a ME problem, but I am sure it exists. When I'm shooting groups at 100yds, If I want to consistently be under 0.75 inch, the eye relief has to be "perfect" ... I think this is an "olde man" symptom has my neck won't crank back past 90 degrees any more :D

So, part of the requirement is tool-less adjustable eye relief (which chassis builders call LOP).

But this does not rule out the AX LA chassis.

It turned out the mk13 mod7 is a souped up AT.

Ok, I've been able to rule out the mk13 mod7 AI chassis as this chassis requires spacers to adjust the LOP. I want to be able to go from Prone to tripod and back to Prone, quickly and unfortunately, for me, to optimize eyerelief, I need to adjust the LOP. I'm sure that is just a ME problem, but I am sure it exists. When I'm shooting groups at 100yds, If I want to consistently be under 0.75 inch, the eye relief has to be "perfect" ... I think this is an "olde man" symptom has my neck won't crank back past 90 degrees any more :D

So, part of the requirement is tool-less adjustable eye relief (which chassis builders call LOP).

But this does not rule out the AX LA chassis.

It turned out the mk13 mod7 is a souped up AT.

Don't know if you saw it wig but the new Xylo chassis from ARC might check all your boxes. Looks like it would support all your night vision and tooless LOP. If a spacer were placed over the rods to adjust LOP you wouldn't have to even look to adjust from your long LOP to short, very quick.
Might take awhile to get one though.

Both manufactures are solid and put out great products. I guess it overall depends on your need, and how much you want to pay.

I owned a AX SA in the past, awesome chassis, rock solid, works fantastic. It only has so much adjustability depending on what scope height you finally settle with. To get the proper set up with a high scope height, you have to most likely get the buttstock accessories needed for recoil pad LOP or verticle adjustment.

Recently got a Cadex chassis comp model. I have to say it is a work of art. It is a nice chassis. The buttstock position on the chassis design puts the shooter more in line with the rifle and optic system than any other chassis I have owned or used. The buttstock alone has a vertical recoil pad adjustment with a flip of a lever. LOP and cheek riser is simple knob adjustable design. Magazine well has a no magazine slop fit with AICS style mags.

You cannot go wrong with either one. There will be positives and negatives with both, and accessories needed for bipod mounting preferences. Cadex is worth it in my opinion.

... Magazine well has a no magazine slop fit ...
... had to read that thru 3 times ... but after the 3rd I decided this was a GOOD thing !!! :D

... thanks for the data ! ...

So, if I'm reading you right ... Cadex is worth ~ 30% more because the butt stock and cheek adjustability are superior to the AX and the Mag well is not sloppy (and hence less chance of fumbling with the mag when you need to be taking the next shot). Those sound like pluses !

As to need, I'll try to explain again below.
As to how much I want to pay ... well I always want to pay zero ... but I'm a realist :)

==
My #1 priority is eye relief adjustment (which is enabled by LOP adjustment, although I don't care about LOP ... most any 'ole LOP works for me ... but for some reason ... I care about eye relief !!! )

#2 is cheek ... but I'm more flexible there ... I've actually sustained the best groups with a wally world rem700 sps tac aac-sd (if I can remember all those letters :) ) ... which has no adjustments period. I used a "chin-stock" weld with that rifle. But the average is 0.64 in groups ... since last Oct. It is embarrassing, since the fancier guns haven't done as well (though there are reasons). In fact, I've got a "high cheek" weld, I use with most of the stoners ... and a "low cheek weld" I use with most of the bolts ... and a "chin weld" I use with the tikka t1x and the wally world rem700 ... and all of them work. So cheek/stock adjustability is not as critical. But helps on bolt guns with no folding.

And then I need rails for bipods, tripods, illuminators, range finders, clipons, etc.

I hear you on price points and trying to get most for the money. I am the same way.

Take a look at the Cadex Field Tactical series. Brings it down to AX pricing, if not better, depending where you get it from. Just a option for you to consider.

Ok, decided to go with the AX SA via Euro for .308 #1 ... when it is time for the .300WM I will revist ... still might do Cadex for the .300WM, based on the AX experience with the .308
From where I sit right now, I can't see much functional difference for me between the AX and the Lite Strike with Skeletonized butt stock.

I like the cadex better than ax. But both are good

... I like the cadex better than ax ...

Any particular reasons why ?? Still curious, since once budget allows, I will need a second one :)

I dislike the grip on the AI’s, which is obviously just a preference. I’m used to the KRG Large grips and find them the most comfortable. I’m in a Cadex now and find it fits my shooting well, so far. My main gripe with the AX is the RH folding hinge interferes with where I want to put my thumb. This may be a non-issue for some.

Got the AX chassis yesterday ... piecing it together ...

46705822164_6df0d137a0_h.jpg

Current issue is bolt does not close all the way. I can fully cycle dummy rounds thru the gun, the firing pin cocks, but the bolt does not close all the way.

Loosening the front action screw a quarter turn and the bolt closes all the way. So, the front action screw is too long. I need to shorten it !!
But not too much :D

Ok well after six 10 min sessions of grinding on it with a little stone wheel attached to my dremel tool and finally the bolt moves smoothly. ?
I wonder if AI makes them too long on purpose? With the idea better too long than too short ??
All the other chassis' I've had, McReex2 and KRGx1, the action screws just fit. So not sure.
But AFAIK now, the gun is ready to shoot.

Ok well after six 10 min sessions of grinding on it with a little stone wheel attached to my dremel tool and finally the bolt moves smoothly. ?
I wonder if AI makes them too long on purpose? With the idea better too long than too short ??
All the other chassis' I've had, McReex2 and KRGx1, the action screws just fit. So not sure.
But AFAIK now, the gun is ready to shoot.

Some chassis have washers to use on action screws for certain actions. Not sure if the AI has them.

Practicing magazine changes. The left side of the AX mag well is cut up higher than the right side (see pic ^^). I assume that is because the designers assumed shooter would be changing mags with their left hand. Well, when I am shooting off the tripod, I do change mags with my left hand, but when I am prone, I change with my right hand so I don't have to move my support arm "out of battery". The support arm is supporting the rear of the gun. The trigger hand is not supporting the gun, so is more available.
But in practicing mag changes with right hand it doesn't seem too tough, just different. Both left hand and right hand mag changes are "different" from what I'm used to with the McRee and KRG chassis. With the AX it is sort of like you push up and then pull back to load. To remove the mag, push forward on the mag release and push forward on the rear of the mag at the same time, with your one hand, then it comes right out. It will take some practice to get the mag changes for the AX embedded into muscle memory, but that's what practice is for !! :)

... I dislike the grip on the AI’s, which is obviously just a preference. I’m used to the KRG Large grips and find them the most comfortable. I’m in a Cadex now and find it fits my shooting well, so far. My main gripe with the AX is the RH folding hinge interferes with where I want to put my thumb. This may be a non-issue for some ...

On rifles with pistol grips (not carbines I am shooting fast, standing up) I put the ball of my thumb on the upper rear of the pistol grip ... opposite and opposing the trigger finger on the trigger. The other three fingers have the finger tips resting on the pistol grip.

The AX RH folding hinge doesn't interfere.

Where do you put your thumb ?? @kRcu Trying to picture based on description :)

Last edited:
On rifles with piston grips (not carbines I am shooting fast, standing up) I put the ball of my thumb on the upper rear of the pistol grip ... opposite and opposing the trigger finger on the trigger. The other three fingers have the finger tips resting on the pistol grip.

The AX RH folding hinge doesn't interfere.

Where do you put your thumb ?? @kRcu Trying to picture based on description :)

A guy on here makes a thumb rest for AI’s.
I’m a thumb wrapper so I don’t see the issue

33574669478_aa99e3298e_k.jpg

Scope cover touching rail. I will have to carve on the rail.

It's complicated :D

But I move my scopes around and use different clipons etc. And I got the full rail on purpose because it is difficult to predict in advance where a given combination of scope + clipon need to mount.

I think 97% of the time I need this scope cover to open towards the 3 o'clock, so maybe I can carve on the scope cover.

Different scope mount? This is the only SPUHR ISMS that is at the right height for the various clipons I will be using. And the spuhr allows so much flexability to mounting other items to the scope mount, that I've switched all but one of my scope mounts over to SPUHR (still have 1 badger).

What is strange, is I used this scope on a flat rail stoner last year and didn't have this problem.

... went back and checked pics ... it looks like I removed the scope cover when I was shooting the stoner with this scope on it ...

So I did have the problem on the stoner ...

Reactions: Dthomas3523
This is 34mm (1.33)

The UTC-x clipon works with scope centers 1.3 to 1.4 (maybe beyond a bit but at 1.515 it is 1 mil low ...)

And the 34mm also works with PVS-30 which I've tested from 1.515 down to 1.3

Anything between 1.3 and 1.4 works for sure. The badgers I have are 1.375 ... the spuhrs are 1.33

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Shot the AX chassis again this weekend. Average group size was 0.83 ... on six groups. One group was 22/16ths ... without that one we were avg exactly 0.75 inches. This is off the RRS tripod. The official goal is under 1 MOA off the tripod for this year, but the stretch goal is uder 0.75 inches.

I think the cheek pad is too high ... I could detect some straining. And for me straining = missing.

Also the forearm came loose, so need to tighten that down further. I don't think it affected the group size, it wasn't rattling around enough to touch the barrel.

Reactions: Night Assassin
47598441811_b2c609f8a8_k.jpg
Ok, cut the notch today to enable the long COAL berger 155 ammo to cycle from the MDT 10rd "no binder plate" mags.

40633298623_71082efd81_k.jpg

Cut the notch, then tested cycled 9 rds, 100% successful. Did some polishing, retested, 100% succesful.
After I clean it up, then can do live fire testing.

Here's the comparison between the 175gr FGMM, the HSM 155 SMK (#2156), the Berger Berger 155.5 and the FGMM 190gr SMK. The Berger's do an amazing job out of the 22 inch .308WIN ...

33678566738_f8bdb02935_b.jpg