• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cheek Pad - Tac Ops vs Blackhawk IVS vs Eagle?

glug

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Hi, I'm trying to decide on a cheek rest for my sps varmint. I sort of have it narrowed down to these three. Anyone have opinions which is best?

Tac Ops: http://www.tacticalworks.com/Tactical-Operations-Ammo-Cheek-Pad.html
Blackhawk IVS: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/IVS-Performance-Cheek-Pad,608,1406.htm http://www.blackhawk.com/product/IVS-Performance-Cheek-Pad,608,1406.htm
Eagle Industries: http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Shooters_Rifle_Stock_Pack_p/eag.116.htm

The Eagle looks identical to the Tac Ops as far as I can tell, minus a couple of ammo loops. I assume the loops on all three will hold 308 cartridges just fine.

I know some Blackhawk cheek pads are not impressive but this IVS one seems to have really good reviews and is the best deal right now at $28 with free shipping:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-ammo-cheek-pad-rifle-5-ivs-black.html

I guess the biggest question for me is how the IVS "compression-molded technology" compares to the soft suede padding on the Tac Ops and Eagle. Anyone tried both? Off hand I'd guess the suede is overall more comfortable but maybe the IVS would be nice for shooting longer stints in hot weather. I'm curious if the IVS provides a better cheek weld too.

All things being equal I would probably get the Tac Ops since it's made in the USA and has the extra ammo loops, but the best deal I can find right now is $35-40 plus another $5-10 for shipping, making it almost $20 more expensive overall which just doesn't seem that worth it. Unless someone can persuade me otherwise...

Re: Cheek Pad - Tac Ops vs Blackhawk IVS vs Eagle?

plus one for tacops. They make great stuff.

What stock do you have, and what do you need/want to be able to put into the pouch?

Triad carries three variations on the original patent and they are listed here: http://www.triadtactical.com/Weapon-Accessories/

If you wait a few minutes, somebody will come along with a giant spread on the Tac-Ops version.

I've got a Tacops on mine and one on the wife's. The Tacops and Eagle are nearly identical except for as you pointed out does not have as many bullet loops.

As far as the Tacops goes, it works well for my set up of Rem700 SPS-T, Leupy pic rail, Med MK4 Rings and MK4 3.5-10. The suede is nice to have as it stays cool (ish) in the sun and not cold in winter as compared to the stock.

The bullet loops are nice if you plan on shooting those rounds relatively soon. I do not pack the extra rounds in the loops when I go hunting. I just don't want to get them all nasty with snow, mud, rain etc etc.

As far as what I have stored in my pouch, I have an Allen Wrench, Torx Wrench, and regular wrench for my rings. I have those three tools in there so that if I need to remove or adjust the rings, or turrets I have them. I don't get carried away with what I have in there but those three little items fit nicely and don't make noise while I'm walking.

Now, I do plan on buying Triad's stock pack with the internal bullet loops when they get back in stock. Cough cough, hurry up, cough. Damn this cold. Joking aside Steve's pack looks awesome, has internal loops so that I can feel comfortable about packing those rounds. And I'm planning on getting a tan one to rattle can to match my stock. Aestetics mainly but the internal loops are major plus for me.

Go for Tac Ops. I have three and they have held up well. Suede works great for me and I store small tools, pen and range cards in the pouch. Never use the ammo loops.

Nothing wrong with Blackhawk, however I would go with this one instead of the IVS: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ammo-Cheek-Pad,191,1406.htm. The HawkTex is more like a faux leather that you can clean. If you sweat or have an oily face, the suede will absorb it and will be hard to clean. With the HawkTex, you can just wipe it down after your range trip.

I love Eagle's stuff, but I'm not getting a cheek pad made of suede for the reasons above.

DVSDEV,

I found the hawktex material is too abrasive for this use and the shoelace attachment method on the bottom was not secure enough for me.

Cannot go wrong with the Tac Ops. Went with the long straps option, and can move it back and forth between a McMillan A5 and a HS precision without an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with Blackhawk, however I would go with this one instead of the IVS: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ammo-Cheek-Pad,191,1406.htm. The HawkTex is more like a faux leather that you can clean. If you sweat or have an oily face, the suede will absorb it and will be hard to clean. With the HawkTex, you can just wipe it down after your range trip.

I love Eagle's stuff, but I'm not getting a cheek pad made of suede for the reasons above. </div></div>

I think this pack is nearly identical: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=756034

I recently purchased two of these for light use hunting rifles. They are of reasonable construction and quality. A reasonable cost for the sale price but definitely not worth the full retail price when the Tac Ops is just a bit more.

I agree with the sentiment about not purchasing a suede side pack. I sweat too much and it's more hot than cold here in NC so suede really isn't an option for me.

Suppose you don't want pockets and ammo loops? Does anyone know who makes something that simply raises your sight level.....using velcro straps to secure? Thanks

I tried the Eagle pack and it wasn't high enough for me. So I added a piece of foam under it and still wasn't too thrilled about it. It moved during recoil.

Ended up with the Karsten cheekpiece. Much better setup all the way around.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What stock do you have, and what do you need/want to be able to put into the pouch?

Triad carries three variations on the original patent and they are listed here: http://www.triadtactical.com/Weapon-Accessories/

If you wait a few minutes, somebody will come along with a giant spread on the Tac-Ops version. </div></div>

Triad do you know when any of these will be back in stock? I keep watching and see nothing. Want the Eagle stock pack, but will probably go with tac-ops if you don't have any in stock sometime soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrHiggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suppose you don't want pockets and ammo loops? Does anyone know who makes something that simply raises your sight level.....using velcro straps to secure? Thanks </div></div>

Two options that I am aware of and own both:

BlacHawk HAWKTEX adjustable cheek pad

It has three inserts that can raise the comb of the stock ~1-1.25in I use it on my M1A that has a Sadlack scope mount. The scope LOS for the M1A platform is a bit up there so this helps a lot. Very secure with Velcro straps.

Convert-A-Stock pad system

I've used this for nearly two decades on my clays shotgun to adjust my POI between Trap (8" high @25yds), Skeet (POA=POI), and Sporting clays (4" high @ 25yds).

This appears to be a neoprene variant;

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/comb-raising-kits.html

It really doesn't matter what brand as long as it's multicam...

I have an Eagle and it works great on my SPS. I didn't have to jam anything under it, and it did help a bunch on cheek weld. I keep a beverage access tool in the pouch but only use the ammo loops for photo ops.

After looking at the 3 listed, I vote for the Tac Ops! I have been looking Myself and after reading this Post I will choose the Tac Ops

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...All things being equal I would probably get the Tac Ops since it's made in the USA and has the extra ammo loops, but the best deal I can find right now is $35-40 plus another $5-10 for shipping, making it almost $20 more expensive overall which just doesn't seem that worth it. Unless someone can persuade me otherwise... </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">glug</span></span>,

I'd like to point something out here - and I hate to begin my reply with a cliche, but you really do <span style="font-style: italic">"get what you pay for"</span> with Tac Ops equipment. Yeah, yeah - I can hear some saying <span style="font-style: italic">"Its' just a #@8%! stock pack get out and shoot!"</span> Theres' slightly more to it than that, namely the adjustability that is possible with Tac Ops Stock Packs.

Except for a narrow where the Stock Pack bends at the ridge of the stock's cheekpiece, the underside of Tac Ops Stock Packs' is almost completely covered in "loop" ("loop" being 1/2 of the "hook & loop" principle in "Velcro"). The underside of the Stock Pack Straps are covered in "hook". This means that you can position the Pack's four retention straps to fit a wide variety of stock styles and sizes.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> On older Tac Ops Stock Packs the crease area is about 1.25" wide, but new production Stock Packs have a more narrow (approximately 1/2" wide) crease area to reduce the slight "bumps" that can result <span style="font-style: italic">if the straps are overlaid on the "crease"</span>. I have both older and newer production and I've had an issue with the older packs.

Most bolt action rifle stocks don't need need them, but Tac Ops offers extra-length retention straps to accomodate the extra height of newer "tactical" stocks. Tac Ops is the only Stock Pack manufacturer that I know of that takes the "taller" buttstocks of tactical stocks such as the McMillan A4, A5, and A3-5 as well as the Manners T4 and T5 stocks into account and offers extra-length straps to accomodate them. However, YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER THE STOCK PACK DIRECT FROM TAC OPS as it is unlikely that retailers who carry Tac Ops Stock Packs will have the LONG STRAPS in stock.

The LONG STRAPS cost a little more than the regular-length straps. <span style="font-weight: bold">Email me</span> for Stock Pack color/pattern availability and shipped cost within the CONUS and I'll check with Mike Rescigno at Tac Ops. Generally-speaking, Tac Ops Stock Packs with LONG Straps run $45.00 shipped in CONUS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> The photos below are of an older MultiCam Tac Ops Stock Pack, so the photos of the underside show a 1.25" wide strip on the crease between the Right and Left sides of the Pack. Also, the area where the three (3) bottom straps are routed is sewn in a way that you can tuck the ends of Straps under the Stock Pack so that they aren't exposed. I didn't bother to tuck them in out-of-sight before I shot the photos below.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">RH view of Tac Ops MultiCam Stock Pack on McMillan A5:</span></span>
MultiCamTacOpsStockPackRSII8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LH view of Tac Ops MultiCam Stock Pack on McMillan A5:</span></span>
MultiCamTacOpsStockPackLSII8x6-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Overhead view of Tac Ops MultiCam Stock Pack on McMillan A5:</span></span>
MultiCamTacOpsStockPackOverhead8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Underside of Tac Ops MultiCam Stock Pack with LONG Straps:</span></span>
TacOpsStockPackUnderside8x6.jpg

TacOpsStockPackUndersideLS8x6.jpg

TacOpsStockPackUndersideRS8x6.jpg

Keith

Tacops are outstanding! I use them on my TRG. For some reason I just think the Tacops bags just look alot better.

I would just prefer the TacOps straps be sewn on the underside of the padded part, like the Eagles are done. THEN, it would be the PERFECT pad!!

I would also like the option of being able to have the pad itself be thicker to raise the comb... wishful thinkin I am sure.

DK

I actually mean the metal loop part of the straps. Just my preference...

DK