• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Choate Ultimate Sniper

Re: Choate Ultimate Sniper

Been running one for the last 4 years. It's usable, but not great. Here's what I found:

<span style="font-weight: bold">PRO:</span>
Shooting prone, I found it to be a more stable platform compared to my McMillan A5. Mainly due to its size and weight.
Bedding is not required due to the aluminium chassis.
The front rail allows you to adjust how far you want the bipod to be. Closer for fast POA change, and further away for the long distance stuff.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MAJOR CON:</span>
It's plastic. Meaning it's soft and bendy and prone to shift POA if your body position is not spot on. For this reason I do not load the bipod with this stock like I do with the fiberglass stocks. If I rest the recoil pad firmly against my shoulder and don't put any forward pressure, it'll shoot fine.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MINOR CON:</span>
It's ugly
It's heavy
The recoil pad is almost as stiff as the plastic and doesn't help with recoil one bit.

Overall, it worked ok for what I paid for it (~$110). If you're on a tight budget and need a heavy accurate stock, then go for it. But if you're going for a quality stock for tactical match or hunting, look else where.

my 2 cents~

i have one on a .223 with a little extra buckshot / .224 projectiles in the stock, they are quite heavy, good for prone/ bench, well made but a bitch to drag around. My savage model 16 weighs 19 lb with this stock and a Bushnell yardage pro.

I have a friend who has it on a rem 700 SPS. dose well but he added a cheek rises to help out, he is now moving on to a lighter weight stock with more features.

My pard had one for several years and it was a pretty stought stock, worked fine especially prone. I dont really put a lot of pressure on a stock but I never remember any problem with movement. It wasnt very comfy for me but that is different for everyone. For that price though, you can get into one of B&C's medalists series which I feel is a much better stock.

okie

I'm going to use it on a left hand Savage short action 22/250 for purely informal target and maybe a bit of critter gettin. ANY aftermarket left hand parts are pretty scarce.

Also using a Shilen heavy bbl and Weaver 6-18X40 scope.
Action has the "Accu-trigger" which I like so far, know everyone either loves em or hates em, but suits me just fine.

Bob

We have the Tactical (also prefer that over the sniper), and like the stock. Definitely a heavy sucker though- I wouldn't want it on a hunting rifle that I had to tote around.

Get the tactical stock as the only thing the sniper/varmint stocks are good for is that they are kind of cool looking. I bought one and sold it a few days later, flexed so badly in the fore ARM area, especially prone off bipod that it just simply pissed me off and just wasn't that accurate, which I believe was from the flexing while prone. I could be wrong, but I think the tactical is much better. The last one I had was well built and the block made contact with the action for the entire length. Just my opinion

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">!!!STAY AWAY DO NOT BUY!!!</span></span></span>

you would have to waist your money to find out what a waist they are. Choate makes a good stock but it is a full butt plate, the full adjustable one is good to but that one, you'll want to hit your self with it repeatably for wasting you money, never knew anyone to own one who liked it

Its a pig. Sure fire way to let everyone know you are green as a gourd when it comes to knowing good equipment and actually using it properly. I have seen one in action. You couldn't pay me $500 to put one on my rifle, if I had to agree to keep it and use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a pig. Sure fire way to let everyone know you are green as a gourd when it comes to knowing good equipment and actually using it properly. I have seen one in action. You couldn't pay me $500 to put one on my rifle, if I had to agree to keep it and use it.</div></div>

That's a bit harsh. Surely it has its weaknesses, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that anyone that owns one is "green as a gourd".

Have you even shot one before? It's surprisingly stable when shooting prone.

The Brits are doing pretty well with this pig~
simmonds01.jpg

They are a decent stock. They are ugly, but they work as advertised. Don't know how any one got fore end flex, mine was rock solid.
If you really want a pistol grip, consider the ultimate varmint stock, I think it is a better stock.

I put one on my savage model 12 .243, it was a very big improvement over the factory tupperware stock, I hve sine replaced it with a B&C varmint/tactical. It is also a heavy stock, though much easier to use in different shooting positions.

I also have the newer tactical stock, it is a bit lighter and a well thought out stock. I think you would be much happier with one of these.

There are always going to be haters, but the Choate stocks fill a niche. How many other stocks provide LOP adjustments, adjustable bipod rail, a full length aluminum bedding block and side mounted sling swivels for 200 bucks?

7MAG.jpg

Well here is where I had my problem with it as far as flexing goes. I even bedded the recoil lug area and filled in the open void infront of that to see if that would help. It did help some, but my opinion is that I simply would not own another. This is the ultimate sniper stock, so I really should not have put the varmint stock in the same category as I've never owned or handled one of those.

Like I said their tactical stock is fantastic and I would not hesitate to own another of those.

Some one else had mentioned a while back thaty had a flex problem. Don't know if it was you or not.

I am not doubting that yours flexed, just not sure how it happened.
I wonder if your bedding block fractured?

I probably wouldn't buy nother choate, only because I have decided to spend the extra money instead of making do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

simmonds01.jpg
</div></div>

I suspect bedding problems with the stock go away when you switch to a pillar bedded Barnard single shot action, then completely float the barrel.
wink.gif

I found the grip darned awkward and about as comfortable as a 2X2.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acttacus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a pig. Sure fire way to let everyone know you are green as a gourd when it comes to knowing good equipment and actually using it properly. I have seen one in action. You couldn't pay me $500 to put one on my rifle, if I had to agree to keep it and use it.</div></div>

That's a bit harsh. Surely it has its weaknesses, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that anyone that owns one is "green as a gourd".

simmonds01.jpg
</div></div>

champ of what??? what cal is that what class??? how long??? a bambo 22 can shoot good at 25 feet

when you Google Russel you get..... well you do it not going to take time to download

I found it a waste of money. It was heavy, didn't fit very well at all, the ergonomics were poor. It is a ugly setup but that wasn't a criteria for me.

The stock is adjustable, its weight-while-significant may benefit some shooter's use

IMHO, there are better choices for the money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek096.html </div></div>

that would be the 1st good shooting one ive ever heard of ever.

it cant be stock, their has to be some serious devcon in their some where. but its on the internet got to be true j/k serious about the devcon though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Its a pig. Sure fire way to let everyone know you are <span style="color: #CC0000">probably</span> green as a gourd when it comes to knowing good equipment and actually using it properly. I have seen one in action. You couldn't pay me $500 to put one on my rifle, if I had to agree to keep it and use it.
</div></div>
Maybe I was a bit harsh. There, fixed it.

I have picked one up. I have been shooting enough years I know within seconds of picking up a gun how it is going to handle when I get behind the trigger. It may shoot great prone, but I don't just shoot off the ground or the bench. It reminds me of something a 12yr old would whittle out of a rough cut 2x6. Maybe I struck a nerve and if I did I appologize.
Fact is there is no free lunch and you get what you pay for. If someone wants to put a $100 stock on a $2000 rig who am I to judge, more power to them.
Russell Simmonds is a world class shooter, did the stock make him a world class shooter? Did he prove anyone can drop a super custom rig into a piece of $100 tupperware and be a world class shooter? Is his face gonna sell a lot of cheap stocks? You bet.

Well colour me amateur:
I have one, dropped a 10fcp right into it and it shoots gangbusters. Heavy and ugly, quite possibly but I didn't get it for its esthetics and as for "flexy",you must be on "somethin" or at the gym benchin' 300lbs. Are there better?, probably, but why go there if you really don't have to. Cross that bridge "if" you get there. Had the pleasure of shooting at a Police range with a team of "returning from the 'stans" Navy EOD. A PO2 proudly opened one of his cases and showed me "...my workin' rifle..." It was identical to mine a 10fcp pimped out on a Choate Ultimate sniper, good enough for me. Hey!some of us have to love pigs. Besides I just love lookin' like I fell of the turnip truck yesterday around all the SOCOMBlackOps commandos in the VeeeeEhfDubya who were in "the 'nam" that inevitably inhabit some rifleranges today, and the Dentists, and Stockbrokers who barely know what end the bullet comes out of, but have a whole bunch of commas to the left of the decimal on their paychecks and still can't shoot straight. Buy it! if you "need" to step up I'm sure you will rationalize that; they're good stocks. Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi ChiefBull and have a fine Navy Day

The claims that they're crap aren't giving the stock justice. I've got one one my remington custom and a buddy that I shoot with has one on his custom fn pbr and both rifles shoot lights out with them. The ultimate sniper stock has some cool features for the price. They are on the heavy side, but if your shooting prone or bench and not humpin it around then who cares. I will totally agree that there are better stocks out they're, but for the $150 I got mine they're aren't. I probably will upgrade to a manners or mcmillian way on down the road, but thats a different league of stock. Hope this helps.

Everyone has their own preferences. To most, just seeing the price tag makes them believe it is junk. I put their ultimate varminter on a prairie dog gun of mine, and while it is not a Manners, it gets the job done. Am I invading normandy, or dragging it through afghanistan? No. I shoot from a bench and thats it, so it works great for me. Plus it saved some money to put towards more ammo! I also really like the aluminum bedding block so I don't have to mess around with bedding it.

If you are a casual shooter, it will work fine, it just depends if you like the feel of it. After all, everyone has different preferences on how a stock feels.

I got one for my Savage in .300 win mag a long time ago & I can't say I really like it, my main dislike is the grip section is just way too big for my hand and a bit too rough. It also looks a bit on the so so side up close. I'd try to see one in person before getting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek096.html </div></div>

that would be the 1st good shooting one ive ever heard of ever.

it cant be stock, their has to be some serious devcon in their some where. but its on the internet got to be true j/k serious about the devcon though

</div></div>

Well, this is one of the drills from a local J.S.T. match a couple of years ago, a few Hide members also attended it.

If memory served me right, I think this was an unknown distance dot drill, target was no closer than 100yds.

I know I pulled the first shot (held my breath too long), but sticking to the fundamentals I nailed the remaining 4 shots.

Rifle is a "bone stock" Remmy SPS-Varmint, dropped straight into a stock Choate Sniper stock, "NO DEVCON"!!

If I do my part, this rifle will shoot pretty well and easily hold 5/8 moa, with 1/2 moa being the norm.

Now I do own a GAP, and is having a 2nd GAP built as I type, but there's nothing wrong with the choate sniper stock and mine's been a joy to shoot.
target.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

alreadygone,

As you can tell, some people like them, love them, and hate them. I have shot on a Choate tactical. It seems like the pros and cons are similar so I will chime in. It was really heavy! I did not notice the flex others speak of. I have hunted with it, target shot and can assure you that you will definitely feel the weight. Could be a good thing if you are target shooting all day. Any mobility with it and you will notice the weight. I overcame this with a good padded sling. I must be honest, it felt good in my hand. The adjustable rail or side sling mounts may not really be of an advantage. If not to you either, then I think it is in the price range of a B&C or maybe used HS precision if you were planning on buying one new. Either way, I think should should try to get your hands on one and feel it. Just my opinion, but if you are thinking DBM in the future, you may want to hunt the listings here for a used package deal. I would not classify one as junk. To me Junk is the stock that I took off of a SPS Varmint, but some people like even those. Blessings!!

Thank you all. I'm going to use one for the previously mentioned Savage lefty 22/250.

What little I shot it before having bbl replaced it felt good to me from a bench and grouped well enough for a toothpick sporter bbl.

Choate is an Arkansas company just down the road from me a piece, so I'm prejudiced toward them.

Before putting the action back in the stock they'll both go here; http://www.camo-solutions.com/ for a new finish. Also a next door company.

Bob

i also have a ultimate sniper on my sps 308 and have shot alongside acttacus at that shoot . we had the only 2 U/S stocked rifles at that shoot. think i still have the scar from leaning against the hot truck bed on that stage. the pic with the cinder block in it was a 525 yard line of sight shot that only 3 guys hit 3 for 3 on, me being one of them. if i remember correcly from the reference target, it was something like a 2 mil hold off and 2 mil hold under. you were looking at a row of sweet potatoe plants where the target was. and those pics dont do that camo pattern justice, it looks way better in person

acttacus,
wasnt that dot drill the one we had to put our ammo on the table, take one round, shoot it and get up and get another round to see how consistant our shooting postion was?

I used to use a choate stock on a friends remmy, and I thought it was amazing, it was until i used my first H-S precision stock that I realized just how bad it was, mind you its definitely better then the tupperware stocks that come with our rifles, but not by much. The ergonomics are terrible, and its incredibly heavy. I'd advise you to get a stock that's just a bit more expensive, but I see that you already made your choice, good luck with it and I hope it serves you well.

Just remember, stocks in a way are like scopes, you can use the cheap ones and think they're great, but once you use the higher end stuff, you realize just how bad the cheap stuff is.

Well as one of the other members "cowboy1978" stated above, if you own one people will know that you are "GREEN". Yes I have the Choate Tactical on my Savage 12 LRP 260 and yes I am green, I don't shoot competitions of any kind. I hunt, punch paper, reload my own ammo and the furthest that I have ever shot is 500 yrds. so I am by no means any kind of expert on the subject. As far as the the stock is concerned, it is completely functional, very solid with no flex whatsoever, now as far as looks go it's kind of like Forest Gump said "MAMMA SAYS THAT PRETTY IS AS PRETTY DOES" It's not a MCM, Manner...ect. I paid $225.00 for the stock. Yes it is heavier than the B & C that I had on my Remmy but I did not like the wide flat forend on the B & C. My rifle shoots sub MOA at 100 yrds with my hand roled ammo. If I had it to do all over again I would have just saved up another $120.00 dollars and bought the HS Precision M24 stock just to bring the weight down a little.

For what it's worth i have owned and used one for a few years

i have been able to win ranges in my division at the full bore club with this stock

things to modify to get anywhere with this stock are as follows

get a harris #9 adaptor to attach a harris bipod better (the peice of metal that comes with the stock that fits that anschutz rail is junk as it doesn't let you get a propper mate between the bipod and the underside of the stock.

I went and purchased a Karsten cheekpeice the only reason for this was i was sick of not getting a reasonable cheek weld
the way i attached this to the skeleton stock was by making some U shaped peices of aluminium by bending it over the stock and then cutting some holes as close as i could to the underside and applied the bolts and this created a very stable cheek riser that was highly adjustable without chewing into the stock itself with a drill.

the next part of the agenda to make it shoot better is to take some 50 mm stainless pipe and cut it so it fits the contour on the bottom of the rear of the stock for a bag rider.

you may also need to hit the area where the bolt locks down with a dremel to let the bolt move all the way down for safety reasons

As for flex i never had an issue because i was running a 22 inch standard hunting barrel and there was enough clearance to be able to put your hand around the barrel (i can see how some people have a problem with heavier contours)

This stock was an excellent beginning to my Centerfire shooting
and is great as an entry level trainer.

downsides have been mentioned above but one that i found was when i wanted to make it a repeating type with mags and what not it was impossible to inlet for that sort of thing (well the one i had couldn't be because the trigger guard was made out of plastic and it 'could' have damaged it's structural integrity and led to failures.

i hope this helps

Alreadygone,

I hope the stock serves you well, and keep taking care of them Arkansas boys. BTW, Did you consider the "tactical"?

Also, with that high speed camo job, I hope it sees a lot of use in the field.

Blessings!!

Obviously that was just my experience, but it flexed none the less with a 7mm mag, 22" sporter barrel. I'm not sure if it was just that particular stock that had an issue and like stated I like the tactical stock that I had. To each his own, but since the OP asked, I shared my thoughts and experiences. Hope it works for you.

I really wish that I had listened to the masses and saved a little more money and bought the HS precision M24 that I wanted. The Choate Tactical has worked good though. I will be taking it off my Savage 12 LRP and selling it soon.