• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Chris Reeve Sebenza - Am I crazy for wanting one?

Redmanss

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Northeast Wyoming
Like the title states, I'm looking at picking up a large Sebenza 21 for EDC and use at work. From everything I've read on them they're incredible, but I wanted to survey the greater minds here before jumping into the fray of $400+ knives. My past knives I've carried include a Emerson CQC-7, Emerson SOC-FK and currently a Benchmade 581. The Emersons I retired back to the States, and the BM I use right now is a great blade but a bit fat in the handle for the pocket.

Basically I'm looking for not only a versatile tool but also a fine piece to own. I have the money and don't mind spending that much on a knife provided it's worth it, but I will say this is my upper threshold. It's likely going to ride on my side for the next decade, and I want it to be a good one. I don't need something "tactical" or anything like that, and I actually prefer otherwise for it.

So.... What say the Hide? Worth it or overrated? Feel free to recommend any other knives that I should consider of this caliber including custom makers, but the price range is pretty much at the upper limit for this. Thanks folks!

Re: Chris Reeve Sebenza - Am I crazy for wanting one?

It honestly sounds like you have thought this through, know what you want and why within your price range. You have already decided. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I'll say I'm 90% there on buying it and just doing one more check across here. I research the hell out of purchases like this, but there is little on the Reeve brand here on the Hide. Wondering if it's more of a "fanboy" brand following on the blade forums and hence the significant increase in the price for it, or if it's genuinely that good of a knife. Just looking for any differing opinions on it if they're out there.

I have two of them; one large that's for "show" as part of a collection. The other with a 4" or so blade, simple handle that I use all the time. Great knife: holds an edge, rock solid construction.

If you like the style, have the bucks, don't mind scratching up a nice piece from simply using it, go for it.

As an aside I too have a couple of CQCs: I found the Sebenza blade shape a little more useful for the random, routine sorts of things that come up for a pocket knife

i have the umnumzan, and debated between the sebenza and it, actually purchased a sebenza, and sent it back, happy i made the purchase, built like a tank, money well spent, you can`t go wrong with either one

Chris makes a great high end, high quality production knife and he is the one that really started the whole high end production thing. Buy one without regret.

Great knife. I've had mine for several years and used it in many ways it wasn't intended. Even with a lot of frame to very solid object impacts it still looks pretty good since it started out as the dull TI. Great blade. Love size and esp the width. Also when you use it in a mixed crowd, it gets as much attention as a Henry Pocket Knife. Lastly, when you pull it completely apart to maintain it (cleaning / greasing the bull pivot and whatnot) it goes back together the exact same way.

Good luck

Get it. I love mine.

They are fantastic knives...easy to take apart, clean, and maintain. They feel just right in the hand. After having several of them, the large Insingo is where I stopped. It's been the most useful blade grind i've found on any EDC knife you could have.
The only thing I'd like to see them do, is if they would do an all stonewashed finish on Ti scale and lockside...

Have had 2. Current is a 2007 Wood Annual. Love it, one of my prized possessions.

-T

I EDC a 'zaan. Best knife purchase I ever made, because it was the last folder I bought. There's always been something I didn't like about a knife until I got the Umnumzaan. I had a Sebenza, but the blade profile of the 'zaan suits me better. I'm lurking in several forums waiting for a good deal on a StarTac Wilson Umnumzaan or an Insingo to set aside for my son. Or an Insingo for me..
wink.gif

I have a Strider I carry when wearing utility pants, but it looks like a small hatchet when worn with jeans and khakis. I picked up a Sebenza so I could carry a knife of similar quality in a lower-profile package. It's rock solid, and fills the role exactly as intended.

As an aside - I don't know if you're right or left handed, but being able to pick up a left handed version was especially attractive to me.

Buy the knife and enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for the comments and it's resoundingly in favor of CRK build quality, so I really appreciate that it isn't just a fanboy following on them. I've been really looking them over and have also been looking at the Umnumzaan, primarily for work and the small Sebenza for carry at home when I like a bit more discretion. I am in awe of the look of this one:
chris-reeve-small-sebenza-21-unique-graphic-reverse-silver-contrast.jpg

So yeah, the traditional "both" situation is going to apply here. Oh the horror...

I carry a Sebenza 21 Large or a Strider RCC. You can find the Chris Reeve for $350. I sold a small Sebenza on here for $335. You get what you pay for. Have you seen the Mnandi?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bri0242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Sebenza 21 Large or a Strider RCC. You can find the Chris Reeve for $350. I sold a small Sebenza on here for $335. You get what you pay for. Have you seen the Mnandi?</div></div> That's definitely something I've heard concerning the resale value to them, that they really hold their value well. I've looked at the Mnandi and they're beautiful knives but lacking the thumb stud I'm so familiar with. Thanks!

Totally not crazy at all. You like what you like and should not let people's judgement persuade you. I've been toying with idea of picking up a Spartan blades ares, but not sure about spending that much. LoL.