• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cleaning a .223

SmallBoreSnipers

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2009
Troy, NY
I have a Howa 1500 in .223 that I shoot Silver Bear 62 gr. ammo with. It never seems to get that dirty. Accuracy never falls off either. Right now I clean it every 100 - 200 rounds just for the hell of it. Is this specific to the rifle, caliber, ammo, or all of these? How often should I be cleaning it?

Re: Cleaning a .223

^ That's about how often I clean my .17 HMR cause that's about when the accuracy start to fall off. Somewhere around 500 rounds. So do I really only need to treat this .223 the same way? Is that when you start to notice a change in your .308?

I clean "as-needed". Depending on the ammo I use.

I run a snake on it regardless. Just to remove the obvious.

I clean the bolt and inside the reciever after every time out. It's obvious and easy to clean. So I guess my next question is, as far as the bore goes, how do I know when it's needed? I've never gone more than about 200 rounds before cleaning it. But like I said, accuracy is still just fine at that point. I don't really wanna clean it more than it needs to be.

When your accuracy falls off, that's when you'll know that it needs it. That or if you're going to store it for a while and you feel rust may be an issue. The only .223 I have is a Bushmaster A3 which I clean about once a year. While it's not a tack driver, accuracy doesn't degrade and the action keeps chugging along.

^ Cool. Well thanks a lot for your input guys. I guess I'll see how many rounds I can put through her before my groups are opening up. Thanks for the advice!