• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Cleaning scope lense.

df662

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys. Being a newbie when it comes to higher end scopes I would appreciate some tips on the best way to clean scope/optic lenses. I was thinking about picking up one of the Leupold lens pens (if they are any good?) Thanks!

The lens pens are OK. I keep one in my kit and use the brush end to clear off dust as needed.

But for a really gunked up scope lens I use a micro fiber lens cloth. I dampen the cloth by spraying lens cleaner on the cloth (currently using Ziess cleaner, but it was on sale), spread the cloth out over the lens, then use the lens pen's flat cone end to gently rub the cloth over the lenses to remove oils and grime. I keep 3-4 of these cloths in my kit.

The lens pens are OK. I keep one in my kit and use the brush end to clear off dust as needed.

But for a really gunked up scope lens I use a micro fiber lens cloth. I dampen the cloth by spraying lens cleaner on the cloth (currently using Ziess cleaner, but it was on sale), spread the cloth out over the lens, then use the lens pen's flat cone end to gently rub the cloth over the lenses to remove oils and grime. I keep 3-4 of these cloths in my kit.

+1 on the method, with one piece of advise. Just be cognizant of what cleaner you use. Contact the scope's manufacturer to see if the chemicals in whatever cleaner you use will react with the protective coatings of the optics.

FALex is absolutely correct to advise using only cleaning solutions specifically designed for coated lenses. Generally those with an isopropanol active ingredient will be advised and marketed by manufacturers such as Leupold, Ziess, Nightforce, etc. Isopropanol is an extremely mild solvent with acceptable evaporation properties.

My work prescription safety glasses are ~$260, I use spray wash or electrical contact solvent (clean TCA) and do same for my scopes that leaves no scratches.

I just bought a used Burris XTR and the lenses were pretty dirty and the directions said to use alcohol on a Q-tip. Worked pretty good.

I use canned gas to blow as much of the dust and grit as possible off before cleaning. If you rub sand or something similar into the lens, no matter what the cleaner, it will scratch.....

Yes, ALWAYS try to get most of the dust and grit off before you even wipe with ANYTHING.

I use canned gas to blow as much of the dust and grit as possible off before cleaning. If you rub sand or something similar into the lens, no matter what the cleaner, it will scratch.....

the same might be said for using compressed air to blow the debris off...I have never tried it. I was always under the impression that could scratch the optics as much as rubbing the debris off with a cloth. Think of a sand/soda blaster on your glass.

You don't use a high pressure of air. More of gentle puffs of air.

One of these - http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/Products/Non_EE_Accessories/Lens_Blower_Brush.jpg

Or canned air.

I have used them MANY years on camera lenses and never damaged one.

The difference is, when sand or bead blasting, teh grit is accelerated to the air speed BEFORE it hits the lens. With grit on the lens, by the time the grit has any velocity, it is REMOVED from the lens.

b
back in the day, I used to operate precision laser welding systems on nuclear fuel components and the only thing we used for cleaning lenses was straight grain alcohol such as "Everclear" or 200 proof USP pharmaceutical grade. Just don't drink and drive!

Lens Pens have always done a good job for me.

Then again, I've never spilled beer or soda on my lenses and gotten them all gunked up.

Joe

I'm a newbie here, but do have some experience with cleaning camera lenses.

Don't like canned air - some cans sometimes spew a minor amount of unknown liquid onto the lenses, making the cleaning job harder. Not all canned air is made to the same standard.

Acetone? I don't doubt it will clean oily grime off a lens because it is a pretty aggressive solvent. A big concern with recommending this is to make sure it isn't over applied. I'd be concerned with it wicking in between the edge of the glass and the housing, and compromising the integrity of the scope's seals over time. IMHO if I were to try it, I wouldn't apply the Q-tip all the way out to the edge of the glass. Would also perform this only in a well-ventilated area because it falls in the category of "methyl-ethyl-bad-shit".

Just my 2 cents...

I'm not an anal person, but for some reason, I'm anal about how I clean my lenses of my high end optics (Premiers). I won't touch or rub them without going through my "ritual":

1. Blow as much of the crap out out of the objective and ocular bell as I can with my breath - take care to not be too close or you'll moisten the lens with the humidity of your breath.

2. Blast as much of the crap out as I can with canned air.

3. LIGHTLY brush the lenses with a lens pen.

4. Blast the crap out again with canned air.

5. Spray a bunch of Zeiss lens cleaner onto the lens, creating a little pool inside the bell. Swish/slosh that around for a bit.

6. Using a q-tip, I go around the outside perimeter (where most of the residual crap will accumulate) with the qtip, Changing qtips early and often to minimize crap build up on the qtip.

7. Reapply the lens cleaner, repeat the qtip around the perimeter thing. Continue this until their is NO crap getting onto the qtip.

Note: At this point, I haven't rubbed the lens at all, anywhere except the outer perimeter where it is least likely to have an impact on optical quality should it be scratched.

8. Reapply a little lens cleaner and rub in an outward spiral with the qtip, changing qtips early and often

9. Once it is sufficiently clean, I dry the lens with qtips.

10. Last thing I do is remove any smudge left over by the qtip using the rubbing end of the lens pen.

NOTE: I'm extremely careful with the rubbing end of the lens pen - it ONLY touches glass that is 100% clean and the cap is left on until 1 second before it touches the lens, and the cap is back on within 1 second of coming off the lens.

Last thing, is I don't clean my lenses often. I avoid it like the plague. The special coatings *do* wear off a bit each cleaning, no matter how careful you are. Cleaning less often means the coatings are less likely to be scratched from cleaning, and maximizes the lens coating life.