• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Clip-On NV rail requirements

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
Just trying to establish a correct upgrade path. Currently deciding on a Day Time scope and dont want to get anything too long that wont accommodate a clipon.

Rifle is a mk12/spr configured AR15. 5.56 77gr out to its max eff. range of about 600 meters.

What Clip-On NV unit would be best for this and what is the minimum rail space requirement.

I've got several clip ons that require different lengths of rail. Which day scope do you run? NF 2.5-10? That will make a difference on how much rail you have left over.

I understand they are different. Just need to know what rail space they need. I know it will be no problem with with a nf 2.5-10x32 or cqbss. But also considering running an f1.

I have 5 rifles I run NV/Thermal on. The rails have lengths running from 14.25 inches up to 20 inches. The scopes have lengths from 12 inches up to 14.5 inches. Not all combinations will work, but a sub-set of combinations will work on all rifles. The 14.25 rail on the 7.62 16 inch barrel is the toughest problem, but I can get some combinations to work. Took a lot of measuring and entering data into spreadsheest to figure out the length of the last scope I purchased. I went with an L&S 3-18x primarily because it is 12 inches. With that scope, I can get my longest clipon to work on that rifle. That would be the COLR at 9.25 inches.

For the COLR from the front of the day scope bell, to the front of where the COLR mount touches the rails looks like 7 inches.

Last edited:
I have a standard ar15 flat top upper with a 12 inch rail. If i mount an NF F1 even with the CH is there ANY 600 yard capable clip on that I can mount on what left?

Pick the Clip on NVD that meets your requirements, then if needed change whatever rail you are using. The FLIR AN/PVS-22 will do more than most folks will ever need, but the PVS-27 is the top of the line and is only about $900 - $1,000 more and worth the money....but it is larger and will require more rail length.

On my Noveske with a 15"rail, I was able to run a PVS 22 and 27 with no problem with the CQBSS.

I looked for that reticle pic for you, but didn't have any on my hard drive.

Hope that helps.

On my Noveske with a 15"rail, I was able to run a PVS 22 and 27 with no problem with the CQBSS.

I looked for that reticle pic for you, but didn't have any on my hard drive.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I think Im just going to have to pull the trigger on the CQBSS that way i wont run into issues with NV with an F1 not to mention not having to run an additional offset rds

I am running a 15-16" rail on an AR with a 5-20 SWFA SS and a CNVD-LR some times. No problem with room. 12" would be tight if doable at all with a long range clip on and greater than 10x scope.

I run 15" rails on most of my AR's with a USO 1.8-10x, USO 1.5-6, or a Vortex Razor 1-6x and can fit about any clip on out there on it. But, there is a little more to it than that obviously. I don't run fixed front sight posts. I run various BUIS, and once in a while I will have to take the front one off with some clip-on's. I also like the laser to be 12:00, which wont work with a lot of the clip on's, so on my DMR type setups, I run it on the side. With a 12" rail and a USO 1.5-6 I can run a CO-X, CO-LR, CNVD-LR, 24, and most thermal clip-on's, but cant have the front sight on. Also, watch your gas block location, barrel length, and all that as well.