• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coffee Drinkers

Nosler243Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2010
Alabama
I have got into coffee this year and just wanted to see what everyone here was drinking. I started with Black Rifle Coffee Company and then got into grinding my own and wanted to try a bunch of other roasters. Since then I've tried Texas Coffee Traders, Counter Culture, Kickapoo and Vertere. I also have some Bluebeard, Tony's and Caffe Ladro on the way to try. So far the Vertere Ethiopia and Kenya are my favorites. I brew mostly in a chemex but have a Bonavita drip maker on order.

I'm such a coffee junkie but have not had the itch of trying many different brands like you. I like dunkin donuts French roast. If you want real coffee tho, find yourself some Turkish coffee.

20180903_173320.jpg

We make this shit by the twelve cup pot . Straight Rocket effin Fuel . On cold mornings I can see the steam comin off my effin heart .

Reactions: 308pirate
If you are only drinking dark roasts you are totally missing the boat.
Different origins and light roasting will open up a whole new world of coffee experiences for you.

Reactions: Nik H
I pretty much only do BRCC these days. Just grown to trust that each bag is perfect (to me). But I do enjoy real Italian coffee or as one other said Turkish coffee is awesome. I also drink it black.

I do a pour over at my desk at work. I've found an easy to get off the shelf dark that is amazing. It's Caribou Coffee, Mahogany Dark Roast. You can buy it at Target. It's so good in a pour over that when our South Americans (colleagues) come in to the office, they come to my desk to get a cup. They all say it is awesome and they live in the land of good coffee.

First thing, I drink my coffee black.
Pour over or French press is the way to go. Each type requires a different grind though.
One of the things most people overlook is the cup itself.

I have cups that can make any coffee taste acidic, some that make it basically flavorless and some that make the brew smooth and tasty.
I've tried many different light and medium roasts. They have more caffeine, but the flavor without cream and sugar is awful. It just tastes old and weak.

If you use cream, all bets are off and I would suggest going to Dunkin and drinking theirs. It's grown and roasted specifically to be blended with 1/2&1/2 and real sugar.
I buy my coffee locally roasted by the folks at Naviera over in Ybor City.
Here's what it is.

20180903_192217.jpg

I started out with dark roast but I've moved to a light roast and sometimes a medium and only drink coffee black. I really enjoy single origin coffee with fruity notes from Africa but this Guatemala was very good also. The chemex really brings out the fruit. Thanks for the coffee recommendations. I'll be trying several of them for sure. Here are the Ethiopia and Kenya coffees from Vertere I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of coffee connoisseurs here. I know some of the brands recommended are very nice. Shortly someone will be along to tout civit coffee. I finally admitted I'm not a connoisseur, I'm a junky. Here is my fix of choice.
51XNaiCk2RL.SX482_SY301_CR,0,0,482,301_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX482_SY301_CR,0,0,482,301_SH20_.jpg

The Pic is from Amazon but I get it cheaper at Aldi. I guess when it comes to coffee I am a closet commie because it is from Cuba. Don't let the espresso lable put you off, I brew it the same as regular grind coffee. I use 2/3 of a cup of grounds to eight cups of water (I use reverse Osmosis filtered water) this makes a pretty strong coffee! Pour that in a Bubba mug and all is right with the world.
81414zRp9xL._SL1500_.jpg

Speaking of expensive but good, after going to Hawaii this spring I am addicted to Kona coffee. Because of where they grow it in the mountains on the Big Island, it is supposed to have less salt from the ocean in the soil and therefore is a less acidic coffee (for those like myself with acid reflux issues). Try some out when you get a chance, not too many coffee farmers in the good ol US of A.

kona-estate-7oz-WB__06689.1531362679.jpg

Civit cat coffee is good shit! Especially tasty from a vac siphon and cool to watch it brewed.

Have been stuck on Bulletproof French Kick lately. Smooth and low acid. Also second the Turkish coffee sentiments.

Sounds like a lot of coffee connoisseurs here. I know some of the brands recommended are very nice. Shortly someone will be along to tout civit coffee. I finally admitted I'm not a connoisseur, I'm a junky. Here is my fix of choice.
51XNaiCk2RL.SX482_SY301_CR,0,0,482,301_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX482_SY301_CR,0,0,482,301_SH20_.jpg

The Pic is from Amazon but I get it cheaper at Aldi. I guess when it comes to coffee I am a closet commie because it is from Cuba. Don't let the espresso lable put you off, I brew it the same as regular grind coffee. I use 2/3 of a cup of grounds to eight cups of water (I use reverse Osmosis filtered water) this makes a pretty strong coffee! Pour that in a Bubba mug and all is right with the world.
81414zRp9xL._SL1500_.jpg
We sometimes get a couple of those pqckages and dump them in the coffe can .

81414zRp9xL._SL1500_.jpg
First time I ever had Cafe Bustelo, I was in Germany. One of my NCO's was Cuban and he brewed it on the stove in a linen "tit" attached to a wire frame suspended over the pot. He said that was the way his mom always did it. I have been hooked on it ever since.

But these days I am lazy, and have really enjoyed Tulley's medium roasts out of the Keurig. Both the Cafe Bustelo and the Tulley's get a glob of cocunut oil and a bit of raw cane sugar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 308pirate
Black rifle Just Black and Freedom Blend, and the AK47 for the espresso are on the go to list for the time being. The only one from BRCC that I have not liked is the Sniper smooth, all the others have been good, and so far low acid so it has not been an issue with heartburn.

Reactions: Dewey7271
Death wish........ordered another 5 pounds yesterday........

First thing, I drink my coffee black.
Pour over or French press is the way to go. Each type requires a different grind though.
One of the things most people overlook is the cup itself.

I have cups that can make any coffee taste acidic, some that make it basically flavorless and some that make the brew smooth and tasty.
I've tried many different light and medium roasts. They have more caffeine, but the flavor without cream and sugar is awful. It just tastes old and weak.

If you use cream, all bets are off and I would suggest going to Dunkin and drinking theirs. It's grown and roasted specifically to be blended with 1/2&1/2 and real sugar.
I buy my coffee locally roasted by the folks at Naviera over in Ybor City.
Here's what it is.

View attachment 6939960
Holy shit Mike that looks like heaven in a cup. All I can get here is Pilon or Bustelo. My folks have been sending me Sello Rojo (Colombian) when they find it in Miami.

Same, but Folgers Black Silk. I'm impatient and cheap, and I drink a full pot a day minimum so I'm not going to take the time to go fancy on my prep multiple times a morning.
Black Silk ain't bad, surprised me. Let me know if you want to try some Cuban/Puerto Rican roast and I'll send you some.

Holy shit Mike that looks like heaven in a cup. All I can get here is Pilon or Bustelo. My folks have been sending me Sello Rojo (Colombian) when they find it in Miami.

Let me know if you'd like some. If so, I'll swing over there tomorrow and pick it up fer ya.

I buy it from the cigar shop next to the roasters. They used to have a sales shop with brewed goods available.
Assholes in Tampa told them to install a grease trap or cease brewed sales.
Why in the fuck would they need a grease trap?
So, Naviera shut down the entire retail outlet and the guy next door with the cigar shop started selling his favorite roasts.

Good on him for keeping it available.

Black Silk ain't bad, surprised me. Let me know if you want to try some Cuban/Puerto Rican roast and I'll send you some.
Thanks for the offer, but my lady and I have grown quite fond of the Folgers. It will be a sad day for us when they stop that variety.

I used to do the whole Keurig thing, and once I did the math on how much we were laying down for coffee, we immediately went back to the pot and bought us a Bunn.

We're really not that much of coffee aficionados, we down a pot each every morning in the summer and step it up to a third pot in the winter, but if I could find what coffee it was that we got last year when we were in Milan and hit a little cafe for a quick cup of Cafe Americano, I'd buy a pallet of the stuff (but they probably roast their own, so fat chance there). We thought we were in for that good of coffee our entire month we were there, damn if we didn't ever find the same or even the brand name. We were going to go back as we flew in and out of Milan, but she wrenched her ankle and that put our touring on hold for the duration.

The only other coffee joint I've found to be reliable for good tasting dark roast is Costa Cafe, the one Coca Cola recently purchased. That was the one thing I looked forward to when landing in Dubai, didn't care how hot it was, I was getting the biggest cup they had.

Starbucks is overpriced bitter toilet water served by pretentious assholes. I never get coffee there, even if I'm sucking hind tit coming in on a redeye and they're the only place with coffee in the airport. I'll suck down a $3 vending machine coke first. Dunkin Donuts is a near second on my shit list to Starbucks.

IMAG0811.jpg

that and a Mr coffee machine are my go to. I've been eyeing up some of the BRCC stuff for a while, plus I need a new cup for work. Not sure which to try out first.

BRCC is okay, not amazing. I think they spend way more time on marketing than they do on crafting their coffee, and it shows. They seem like good folk though.

I buy whole beans from local coffee roasters, or online from The Coffee Fool. The Coffee Fool has great selection. I am a big fan of Central American coffee beans. I'm also a French press fan.

IMO, I think Jamacian Blue Mountain and Kona coffee is pretty overrated. I haven't been able to figure out why they command the premium price that they do.

BRCC is okay, not amazing. I think they spend way more time on marketing than they do on crafting their coffee, and it shows. They seem like good folk though.

I buy whole beans from local coffee roasters, or online from The Coffee Fool. The Coffee Fool has great selection. I am a big fan of Central American coffee beans. I'm also a French press fan.

IMO, I think Jamacian Blue Mountain and Kona coffee is pretty overrated. I haven't been able to figure out why they command the premium price that they do.

Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain are solid, but anything is when you’re on holiday and staring at the sea over a plate of eggs. Who doesn’t want to reminisce about that girl on the beach while having a cuppa once home?

Reactions: kthomas
Stringbean Coffee company, Last batch was Arabica.
Fairly good even through a generic maker.
May try it on a filter less pour over.

R

Coulter Coffee, Wakeman, or Fogcutter.Trouble is Coulter was bought out and is closing. Got to find another. I'm thinking a home roaster is in my future. I have found the water is a very important component of good coffee. City shitty water sucks.

Amen to you brothers, black coffee matters.....no cream or sugar for me either. I take my time every morning drinking a pot of French press with freshly ground light coarse beans. Sadly I'm drinking some fairly cheap SBC blend these days but it gets the job done.

and for those of you that want other artisan coffee options

http://leverheadcoffee.com/index.ph...&showproducts=1&productsublayout=0&Itemid=472

is a very pro 2A coffee company.

Kona YES but remember that there 5 types of Kona and priced #1 $$$ to #5 $ it also gets stepped on like drugs so buy direct from the source.

Coffee snob here.

You need the proper way to make it as well as good water. It's the obvious, yet completely missed thing for most people. Just by changing these two things, the same coffee you make now will taste different/better. It's like saying I have a custom build rifle and am not getting good groups shooting bulk ammo out of it.

I could suggest a bunch of coffee to you guys but its like cigars, liquor and women where its a total taste kind of thing.

What I would do is look in this direction:

- Grinder: This is where I differ from a lot of other coffee snobs in that it isn't THAT important. As long as you are grinding for the coffee process you are using, especially if using a French press where the grounds need to be course, you are GTG. This doesn't need to be a powder trickler that makes exactly the same kernel of coffee constantly to the exact weight. There's $40 grinders and $400 grinders, I don't notice any difference outside of not using the correct grind size and not grinding before you're going to use it (i.e. dont make a batch and store it)

- Coffee Maker: Obviously don't buy a Kuerig lol If you have a water dispenser that heats to certain temps or you want to measure temps of boiling water, a French press is bar none the best overall way to make coffee. If you don't want to screw around with measuring temps or fucking around with boiling water, look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JIQQK2/ref=emc_b_5_i

- Water: The damn coffee is basically 95% water. The taste depends more on the water than it does the coffee. Sure, you can use tap water or bottled or whatever. Just for the hell of it, get some distilled water and buy these capsules which balance the minerals in the water (the #1 thing that effects the taste): https://www.amazon.com/Third-Wave-Water-Enhanced-Optimizing/dp/B071XRR95R?th=1

Try some of your BRC coffee and some nicer coffee made the correct way with good water and you'll realize its probably all just some over marketed Columbian garbage. My coffee suggestion to you is a type of coffee that I initially did not like, but ended up making my favorite. It has a distinctive taste as it is grown in volcanic soil in a region of Guatamala. You're welcome: https://verterecoffee.com/collections/single-origin/products/guatemala-shb-ep-laurel

Oh, but I also mentioned cigars? https://www.cigar.com/p/la-palina-goldie-cigar-cigars/2008986/

$20 per cigar?? Go be poor somewhere else.

I may actually try and finally get a Jura machine this year, but we shall see.

Reactions: Stpilot12
Go be poor somewhere else.
Hahaha, I'm making that my sig line for the next week.

And fuck your $20 cigars. I'll smoke my Marlboro Reds like the poor man that I am while drinking my $3/lbs Folgers coffee. It all tastes like hate and discontent, and I love that shit.

Or maybe I just don't like wrapping my lips around fat tubular objects. ;)

Coffee snob here.

You need the proper way to make it as well as good water. It's the obvious, yet completely missed thing for most people. Just by changing these two things, the same coffee you make now will taste different/better. It's like saying I have a custom build rifle and am not getting good groups shooting bulk ammo out of it.

I could suggest a bunch of coffee to you guys but its like cigars, liquor and women where its a total taste kind of thing.

What I would do is look in this direction:

- Grinder: This is where I differ from a lot of other coffee snobs in that it isn't THAT important. As long as you are grinding for the coffee process you are using, especially if using a French press where the grounds need to be course, you are GTG. This doesn't need to be a powder trickler that makes exactly the same kernel of coffee constantly to the exact weight. There's $40 grinders and $400 grinders, I don't notice any difference outside of not using the correct grind size and not grinding before you're going to use it (i.e. dont make a batch and store it)

- Coffee Maker: Obviously don't buy a Kuerig lol If you have a water dispenser that heats to certain temps or you want to measure temps of boiling water, a French press is bar none the best overall way to make coffee. If you don't want to screw around with measuring temps or fucking around with boiling water, look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JIQQK2/ref=emc_b_5_i

- Water: The damn coffee is basically 95% water. The taste depends more on the water than it does the coffee. Sure, you can use tap water or bottled or whatever. Just for the hell of it, get some distilled water and buy these capsules which balance the minerals in the water (the #1 thing that effects the taste): https://www.amazon.com/Third-Wave-Water-Enhanced-Optimizing/dp/B071XRR95R?th=1

Try some of your BRC coffee and some nicer coffee made the correct way with good water and you'll realize its probably all just some over marketed Columbian garbage. My coffee suggestion to you is a type of coffee that I initially did not like, but ended up making my favorite. It has a distinctive taste as it is grown in volcanic soil in a region of Guatamala. You're welcome: https://verterecoffee.com/collections/single-origin/products/guatemala-shb-ep-laurel

Oh, but I also mentioned cigars? https://www.cigar.com/p/la-palina-goldie-cigar-cigars/2008986/

$20 per cigar?? Go be poor somewhere else.

I may actually try and finally get a Jura machine this year, but we shall see.
I had never heard of Vertere till you mentioned it here a while back. I have tried many of their coffees. I didn't care much for the guatemala but i'll try it again. I order from Vertere all the time. i have some ethiopia and kenya on the way now. I use a Baratza Virtuoso grinder and have recently started using water from a local artesian well. I have a french press but currently use a chemex. I feel like i'm missing something in the taste so i'll get some of the water enhancer you suggested. I have drip maker on the way also. I looked at the technivorm but went with the bonavita. I liked it a little better because they have redesigned the basket so it doesn't sit on the carafe. I think this will allow me to put my chemex in there and let the machine pour the water instead of having to stand there with it.

When I was trying to get into it, I liked Blue Horse Kona pretty well. Burr-ground, out of the french press, it was very smooth, little acid, little bitterness. Needed absolutely nothing in it.

One thing I did notice, over the course of a year or so, is how quickly coffee starts to taste bad. If you can't use it in a month, toss it out (that's why I stopped, really ... never drank enough to justify the cost, as I ended up throwing it out a lot).

I had never heard of Vertere till you mentioned it here a while back. I have tried many of their coffees. I didn't care much for the guatemala but i'll try it again. I order from Vertere all the time. i have some ethiopia and kenya on the way now. I use a Baratza Virtuoso grinder and have recently started using water from a local artesian well. I have a french press but currently use a chemex. I feel like i'm missing something in the taste so i'll get some of the water enhancer you suggested. I have drip maker on the way also. I looked at the technivorm but went with the bonavita. I liked it a little better because they have redesigned the basket so it doesn't sit on the carafe. I think this will allow me to put my chemex in there and let the machine pour the water instead of having to stand there with it.

It's an acquired taste, or its something you personally may not like. I actually didn't like it the first time I tried some from that region grown in volcanic soil. Was a Starbuck's 'Single Origin' special run my wife got one day and it was hanging around for a while until I tried some. Was kind of meh at first, but kept drinking it and it really benefited from better water and being made in a french press.

But give it another try. Everyone I have ever had try it says right off the bat that it doesn't taste like any coffee they've had before.

Hahaha, I'm making that my sig line for the next week.

And fuck your $20 cigars. I'll smoke my Marlboro Reds like the poor man that I am while drinking my $3/lbs Folgers coffee. It all tastes like hate and discontent, and I love that shit.

Or maybe I just don't like wrapping my lips around fat tubular objects. ;)

So the alternative is to stick multiple, smaller things in your mouth? :D

Christmas is coming up. Maybe if you're good, I can persuade Knecht Ruprecht from smacking you around with his bundle of sticks and instead have him leave you a cigar.

Reactions: Redmanss
Drinks me lots O' Black Rifle these days... Peets is my back up when I run out of BRCC. French press is the preferred method for me. At work Im known as the coffee snob cuz I refuse to drink the shit they make in bulk from Costco. I even keep an Aero Press in my locker for when I have a "Single cup" must have coffee emergency..