• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

I should be headed to Colorado Springs sometime around the end of the year. Might be the end of the world or something if we can get McCrazy and maccrazy2 shooting together.

Do you need a park sticker if from out of state? Any place to get maps of the area? I am from sidney,ne and just looking for a place i can stretch out further than a 1000 yards. I got some places close to me but cattle are out. Once my schedule gets straightened out maybe could hook up with a few of you.

Thanks

Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next and last match of the year is Sept. 5th. </div></div>

Damn. I'll be on a plane to Puerto Rico that day. Next year for sure!

Anyone Know What Happened?

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">Cherry Creek shooting range victims are twins from Australia</span></span>

Two women shot — one fatally and the other critically — at an Arapahoe County gun range are twins from Australia, according to Arapahoe County Sheriff's Capt. Louie Perea.

The shootings happened Monday afternoon at the Family Shooting Center at Cherry Creek State Park southeast of Denver.

Both of the 29-year-old women were shot simultaneously in the head. Their names have not been released.

The twins rode in a taxi cab to the range, Perea said.

An autopsy on the dead twin was carried out this afternoon. The women have not been identified pending notification of family in Australia, Perea said.

The surviving victim went through surgery this morning at a Denver area hospital and she remains in stable but critical condition, Perea said.

Investigators are still trying to piece together what happened.

"We have not had the opportunity to interview the victim at the hospital. It obviously is going to depend on her condition," Perea said.

Perea said that until the investigation is further along, investigators won't say whether the gunfire was accidental or intentional.

Doug Hamilton, the owner of the range, said the women were using small-caliber guns and were shot nearly simultaneously.

"The ladies hit the pavement virtually at the same time," Hamilton said.

The incident was only partially captured by a surveillance video camera and investigators have been reviewing the images.

"The only thing you can see is the two victims falling to the ground," Perea said.

The women arrived at the firing range together and showed no outward signs of trouble or duress.

"They were definitely normal," Hamilton said. "We are always aware and watching for signs. There was absolutely no indication."

The women purchased ammunition at the range and were firing small caliber hand guns. At one point they moved from the firing line they were using because a group came in and began using the stall right next to them, Hamilton said.

They spent about 90 minutes at the range before the incident, at times "chatting" between rounds, including two scheduled target changing breaks, which take place every 30 minutes.

Hamilton said the women were not regular customers.

A note was not found at the range.

There were more than 20 people at the center at the time of the shooting, but no one noticed a disagreement before the incident, according to investigators.

Shooting center employees go back and forth, monitoring the people using the range. The women were directly checked on several times during their session, but there was no direct eyewitness to the incident beyond the surviving twin.

Investigators did not release what part of Australia the women come from, or how long they have been in Colorado.

"We are working with immigrations and customs to piece that together," Perea said.

On Tuesday morning, business was steady at the range, with several individuals and parties using the facility.

Hamilton said many regular customers, including law enforcement agents and park rangers, are like family and the center was fielding telephone calls from well-wishers and supporters.

Kieran Nicholson: 303-954-1822 or [email protected].

Re: Anyone Know What Happened?

Update:

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Aussie twins shoot themselves in suicide pact</span></span>

DENVER, Colorado: Australian identical twin sisters shot themselves on a US shooting range in an attempted joint suicide pact, the local sheriff's office said, after speaking to the surviving woman.

Officials confirmed the suicide theory as the parents of the 29 year olds reportedly flew from Australia to identify their daughters, whom the local sheriff's office said had been in the western state of Colorado for five weeks.

The double shooting occurred on Monday afternoon at the Cherry Creek State Park in Arapahoe County, east of Denver.

Investigators have "met with the surviving sister, who has confirmed that they had planned to commit suicide together, and did in fact shoot themselves," said a statement by the county sheriff's office.

"Based on the physical evidence collected, the surviving sister's statements, and video surveillance footage from the shooting centre, they believe that this incident was indeed a suicide and attempted suicide."

"A reason for the shootings is still unknown even after interviewing the surviving sister for about two hours Thursday," the sheriff's office Captain Louis Perea told AFP.

"We asked that question more than once, and the survivor declined to answer the question," he added.

Giving details of the incident, the sheriff's office said: "One victim was pronounced dead at the scene, the second victim was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

"The women had been staying in the Denver area for approximately five weeks prior to the shootings.

Australian media reports said the women were firing small-calibre guns in the same stall at the Family Shooting Centre, when both suddenly collapsed to the ground with bullet wounds to the head.

Investigators here said the guns used were both .22 calibres -- one revolver and one a semi-automatic.

Captain Perea said investigators hope to talk with the parents after they arrive in Colorado on Friday afternoon.

"Obviously, our first priority is to positively identify the victims," Perea said, adding that officers would continue to withhold identities until a positive identification is made.

No criminal charges are contemplated as attempted suicide is not a violation in Colorado.

-AFP/wk

hey ya'll,
i just found this thread, i would be willing to get together one of these days, or even hook up and go down to raton, nm for one of there matches, let me know what your availability looks like. i live in Thornton but have access to a 600yd range with fairly nice amenities if ya'll just want to get together locally.

Just out of curiosity what kind of rigs are ya'll shooting?
im running a .260 GAP with USO up top.

Huntinggamo,
Here in Thornton as well, let me know when you go, wouldn't mind tagging along if thats alright.

you dont need a parks pass to shoot the pawnee, matt. briggsdale is 116 miles from Sidney. plenty of places to shoot out past 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you need a park sticker if from out of state? Any place to get maps of the area? I am from sidney,ne and just looking for a place i can stretch out further than a 1000 yards. I got some places close to me but cattle are out. Once my schedule gets straightened out maybe could hook up with a few of you.

Thanks

Matt </div></div>

Anyone want to go check out the BLM range south of Buena Vista some time in the next few weeks?

CMS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cms81586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone want to go check out the BLM range south of Buena Vista some time in the next few weeks?

CMS </div></div>

I'm going to try to make down there in the next couple weeks. During the week, Tues-Thurs?

Send me a PM when you're getting close to picking a day. If I'm free I'll be there.

CMS

Hey guys. I can usally slip out for a saturday or sunday. I need to get out and verify dope on a new rig out to 800 or longer. I am thinking pawnee or somewhere flat would be good if someone has a place. I am planning on going to the tactical shoots at raton after march. If anyone wants to ride down from denver together and split a room let me know. I have work conflicts for the first 2 shoots but after that I think I can make the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a very cool and FREE DOW range just south of Buena Vista with steel rifle targets out to 1040 yards.</div></div>

This sounds like a really cool "Road Trip" situation. Thanks for the information!!

DK

Chris

Where are you thinking? I live in Sidney,NE and wondering how far it would be for me. I had to come home early from work due to family death and funeral is tomorrow and might need to get away sunday if i could.

Matt. I don't have any specific place in mind. I was thinking the pawnee grasslands or maybe see about the range in byers. I was going to call them tomorow to see about membership. They have a nice 1000yd range. I am open to suggestions for other places as well. I just want to get out somewhere and get some dope out to at least 800yds. I am not sure how far it is from where you are. I think byers is 1hr out of denver and pawnee is something like 1.5 if I remember right.

Byers is an awesome place. Shot there once. Been to busy to get back.

Not to familar with the grasslands. Will get back to with tomorrow afternoon evening sometime.

Can you show up at the range and join/shoot on the same day? Is there a public per day fee if you just want to try the place out? I looked on their website but all I found was a form to mail in for membership.

At CRC, you cannot just show up and join. During the week, it is a pretty quiet place. If you show up and are not a member, the gate will probably be locked. If you join and do the annual workbond, it is only $65 a year. That is a great price especially for having access to the 1000 yd range.

I just got a call back today from the guys at the CRC. I am going out tomorow morning for range orientation. I am a little dissapointed it looks as though 50bmg and machine guns are not allowed. I am really just wanting a close 1000yd range so that is ok. I am looking forward to seeing the place.

Shooting steel out there (on the 1,000 yrd range) is always an ordeal. Board members say it's ok, but it's hush hush so everyone hassles you. $0.02

Has anyone done any shooting around Pawnee Buttes in the grasslands?

Any spots to a 1000 or beyond?

Well, I went to the orientation and signed up. The facility was nice! it's only 72 miles door to door which is closer than where I have been shooting. I wanted to hit the 1000yd range but my wind meter does not read past 500mph. LOL it was a tad windy. I went over to the silouette range and shot the wind there. I don't mean to brag but I hit it with every shot. (The wind that is) Seriously, the shooting was nice there as it was a straight on head wind so it was no big deal other than I forgot my beene. I have a shaved head so it got a little cold when it started snowing on me. I got a chance to run my new USO scope and verify the dope on the knob is pretty close. It is a genaric 168gr knob that uso made before they started making custom knobs. I was shooting FGGM 168's and out to 600 It seemed to be hitting center plate. I will get out and shoot some paper to see exactly how close it is when the weather is a little better.
Quickdraw40, where do you set your steel on the 1000yd? I would assume you set it up on top of the target pit berm? I did not think to ask about steel there. The guys said they are pretty cool with people doing what they want there as long as everyone is safe about it.

maccrazy2, before you start shooting steel on the 1000 yard range, I recommend you first get permission and instructions on target placement from the club president. That is how I went about it. I shot a modified F class match there a few years ago put on by 9H, fun match, and decided I would like to join the range. No one could tell me if I could shoot steel on the 1000 yard or not so I called the president and he talked to the board. He then called me back and we determined where to place the steel. As Quickdraw40 said, you get questioned a lot by other shooters there when you are doing this and you had better be able to prove you have permission. Last time I was there with Quickdraw40 I had at least 3 separate people ask me what I was doing and did I have permission. They are just not too used to seeing people do this. The club president is very nice and resolved all the questions. It is a very nice facility and if you have a partner you can also make use of the bunker and paper targets as well as shoot steel.

Maccrazy2 or Diesel,

If guests are allowed at CRC, could you guys please contact me by PM the next time you are shooting there, would like to check it out.

Diesel, do they allow you to bring out your own steel targets? I have 5 prairie dog targets I use for practice for the Pueblo match.

Thanks, Kevin

NW of Idaho Springs. I'm in Denver metro and surrounding areas almost every weekday for work.

For whatever this is worth, I just had Dave Sullivan at West Wind Rifles in Erie, Colorado work on a second rifle for me. This rifle was a complete build of a 260 Remington using Obermeyer barrel, Badger M5 bottom metal, Manners stock, RWS muzzle brake, rifle basix trigger, Defiance Machine defender action.

The rifle came back on time and is great. The quality of work is fabulous, and the price was very reasonable. Dave actually charged me less than I expected for a complete build. Preliminary results on how it shoots are nothing short of spectacular.

I only have 35 rounds through the tube, and am still trying to work up a load, but with initial groups running .336-.446 moa I'm pretty sure things will only get better. Initial groups were done of a day with a constant stiff wind, and gusts too, so I thought those groups were great.

(Dave doesn't know I posted this yet..)I'm out in Oregon.

Once I get my range set up this summer, I extend it to anybody who wants to shoot here (when I am home that is). It will end up being around 750 yards or so when done. I just need to get a target area set up, deciding on how to do it. Just know that it is pretty much always windy here and sometimes the wind really howls. Who knows...maybe we can organize a friendly comp here.

I just joined at CRC, they have some matches coming up that I'm trying to work up a hand load for. Probably gonna be out there the next few weekends if anybody is interested in trying to link up.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just joined at CRC, they have some matches coming up that I'm trying to work up a hand load for. Probably gonna be out there the next few weekends if anybody is interested in trying to link up.

Rich </div></div>

PM me the next time your going out there, would like to check the range out.

Kevin

Hi, My name is Matt, I'm from Oregon. My girlfriend's dad lives in Colorado Springs, and we are coming to visit him and take him shooting. He is retired Army and has operational experience in long range interdiction with a rifle. I am bringing a Rock barreled M40 type rifle, a 20" Grendel, and a RRA NM AR15, all of which are superbly accurate with tuned handloads. Anybody know where a good shooting spot is near Colorado Springs. I would like to get to 1000yds, and everything in between. I wonder what he will think of the NF EXbal on the pocket PC, and the Kestrel 3500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, My name is Matt, I'm from Oregon. My girlfriend's dad lives in Colorado Springs, and we are coming to visit him and take him shooting. He is retired Army and has operational experience in long range interdiction with a rifle. I am bringing a Rock barreled M40 type rifle, a 20" Grendel, and a RRA NM AR15, all of which are superbly accurate with tuned handloads. Anybody know where a good shooting spot is near Colorado Springs. I would like to get to 1000yds, and everything in between. I wonder what he will think of the NF EXbal on the pocket PC, and the Kestrel 3500? </div></div>

Matt,

it will be a bit of a drive, DOW Public (free) Range south of Buenna Vista will get you out to 1020yds and everywhere in between. There is steel from about 300-1020. Lots of life size steel silhouettes, coyotes, prairie dogs, elk, bear.....
Go during the week and you and your dad will most likely have the place to yourselves.

BVRange.jpg

DOWrange.jpg

Also a long drive, but the NRA Whittington Center is about 2.5 hours south of CO Springs. Nice big facility with steel and paper ranges.

Second option would be to find a member to take you to the Colorado Rifle Club in Byers, CO. That would be about 2 hours from the Springs.

Wow. Those are some interesting options. In Oregon, we are allowed to shoot on public land, and was hoping that the old man & I could just drive to the nearest BLM road, and observing common sense and excercising good shooting safety, be able to hang temporary steel or just paper punch. Is it like that in CO?

Any of you guys ever been to the Cheyenne Wells Colorado shoot in April? They have targets at different distances out to a mile. its a 3 day event anyone can buy a spot on the firing line for the weekend. I have never been so I thought I would see if anyone new of it. Looks pretty informal anyone can rent guns to shoot, but for long range targets it might be ok. Thought I would see if it is worth going to.

There will be a NRA Long Range Prone & F-Class 1000 yard match at Colorado West Gun Club at the Stengel Gun Shop near Hotchkiss on May 14. We will shoot three matches of unlimited sighters and 20 for record.

The shoot is not in Chey. Wells anymore. New location, same fun. Been going for 5 yrs now, my brother in law and I rent a spot. Two years ago they had a RV, filled it with tanks of gas, tied the steering wheel so it drives in circles, and everyone got to shoot it till it was just burning down. We have also had cop cars to shoot. At night, sat I think, they have the mad minute where everyone loads up their tracers and just shoot. Lots of fun. Looks like a firework show. You can also shoot down remote control airplanes, but that is a lot harder than you would think. And if you are feeling crazy, you can rent the chain gun, and shoot 100 rnds in about 10 seconds. that is a rush.

Below is the information.

NEW SHOOT LOCATION AS OF FEB.15, 2011
Rocky Mountain Machine Gun Shoots Inc
13th Annual Machine Gun Shoot & Military Vehicle Display
A Benefit for the Leonidas Fund
April 29th thru May 1st 2011
Last Chance, Colorado
(Only 1 hour and 15 minutes from Denver, I-70 and Pena Blvd.)

RENT .50 cal RIFLES, VARIOUS MACHINE GUNS & CANNONS
TO HIT REACTIVE TARGETS!
(ALL PRICED SEPARATELY)
Come see a variety of Military Vehicles and Re-enactors in uniform

A FUN EVENT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY

Friday, April 29th 8:00 am – Dusk
Saturday, April 30th 8:00 am – Dusk
Sunday, May 1st 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
You won’t want to miss our spectacular after dark show! Better than the 4th of July.

Admission Fees:
Spectators ages 15 and over $15 per day or $25 for the weekend
Children age 6-14, Military or LE (with ID) $5 per day or $10 for the weekend
Children under age 6 free
(Minors, 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult)
Parking is free
Camping free for the weekend, no reservation needed (no hookups, no open fires)

Don’t want to be just a spectator renting guns? If you want to bring your own guns to shoot, you can purchase a space on the firing line for the weekend or we offer a BYOG (Bring Your Own Gun) shooter space for a day. If you are interested please send us an email.

SPECTATORS MUST USE HEARING AND EYE PROTECTION!
This is not a Gun Show. No firearms transactions allowed on the property!

For more information please visit our website at www.RMMGS.COM or send an email to [email protected] and we will do our best to get back to you within 24 hours.

Directions to Shoot:
Denver: I-70 East to Byers Exit 316 (aprox. 31 miles), Left onto US-36 to town of Last Chance (aprox. 35 miles), Right onto CO-71 (9 miles), Left onto CR-3 (1 mile), Left to Shoot site (1 mile).
Colorado Springs: US-24 East to Limon (aprox. 64 miles), Right onto US-287/Main St (1.8 miles), Left onto 1st Ave/CO-71 (27 miles), Right onto CR-3 (1 mile), Left to Shoot site (1 mile)
Eastern Colorado: I-70 West to Limon Exit 361, Left onto US-287 (0.6 miles), Right onto 1st Ave/CO-71 (27 miles), Right onto CR-3 (1 mile), Left to Shoot site (1 mile)
Northeast Colorado: I-76 to Exit 92, Continue to follow I-76-BL (1.4 miles), Left onto CR-71 (45.5 miles), Left onto CR-3 (1 mile), Left to Shoot site (1 mile)
Here are the GPS coordinates for the entrance; 39º 36’ 33.60” N by 103º 34’ 29.99” W
You can also find your way there by the address of 3502 CR H Genoa, CO 80818

No alcoholic beverages allowed on the property

We Shoot Rain, Snow or Shine!!!

I am waiting on my Manners stock to get here, but I am wanting really bad to get out to Buena Vista in the spring or early summer to ring some steel.

I don't have any dope worked up for my 10PC as of yet, so it may prove to be interesting. I will hollar back at you guys as the time gets closer to when I think I will be able to get out there for sure.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to shoot tomorrow I will be going. </div></div>

Did anyone ever take you up on this offer?? I would like to get some expert help from you and some others in the long(er) range game. So far to date, I have never shot past 400 yards. The "want" has been there, I have just never done it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

DK

z71
where are you at? We have a shoot the first saturday of each month, you are invited. We shoot between 200 and 900 yards, lots of different types of shoots. pm me if you want more info. The last Saturday of this month is the Dynamite shoot in Gateway, CO south of Grand Junction. Let me know if you are interested, several members from here will be there.
Gadbmw

I am in Meeker, not all that far from you. Yes, I would love to know more about your shoots for sure!! I am dying to get this 10PC running for some distance stuff, as I have only shot it to 100 so far.

I have always shot 168gr Sierras, and I am wanting to try out the 155s that I have now. Of course, I have to get them loaded up first. I have only 50 rounds left of my FGMM, and 140 rounds of my Ultramax stuff. I really hate it when the supplies get that low.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be headed to Colorado Springs sometime around the end of the year. Might be the end of the worldor something if we can get McCrazy and maccrazy2 shooting together. </div></div>
LOL. Just saw this. Let me know,I am free most weekends.