• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

I'm over in Westminster CO, just relocated FL

Don't think I will be in-town for the Machine gun shoot otherwise I would love to check it out. I am picking up some new glass for my 20" REPR and then I need to get it sighted in.

With the nice weather rolling in I can't wait to go shooting here in CO. In FL it was nice that in that I had a 1000yd range about an hour away but it seems here we have plenty of places to shoot where we can even get past 1000yds.

So I am working up what I want for a 338 Lapua build.

I just got the email that the machine gun shoot was canceled. It should happen in the fall now but who knows. I am still down to go out to the CRC and hit the 1000yd range whenever the post office finds the bolt for my gun.

Some of you guys should get up out of the dirt and come out to Colorado Rifle Club(CRC) and shoot high power silhouette. We shoot high power silhouette on the first Sunday every month. You don't have to be a member to shoot in the competitions. Just pay your entry fee, stand on two feet and shoot. Furthest targets are 547 yards out (500 meters) and we shoot all off-hand. Nice animal shaped steel targets at different ranges that are reactive and incredibly rewarding when they fall. It isn't an easy game, but it is ADDICTIVE!

So brush the dirt off your bellies and come out and shoot on your own two feet! This is more fun than any type of shooting that I have ever done.

Below is a link to our Colorado silhouette schedule (pdf), this is for both smallbore and high power. Some of you might recognize the web address. The creator of On Target shooting software also administers our CO silhouette blog.

PDF Schedule---> http://ontargetshooting.com/2011Schedule.doc

Hey everyone,
New guy from Colorado here (south of Greeley). I have been a avid shooter my whole life but just recently got into the long range game. VERY ADDICTING lol. Working on getting the range at my house set up out to 1500yards but would be cool to find other places to go play once I learn enough not to embarrass my self.
Robert

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rob_cook2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey everyone,
New guy from Colorado here (south of Greeley). I have been a avid shooter my whole life but just recently got into the long range game. VERY ADDICTING lol. Working on getting the range at my house set up out to 1500yards but would be cool to find other places to go play once I learn enough not to embarrass my self.
Robert</div></div>

Check out this thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1748366

There are some guys from Greely in the thread, and the Pawnee Grasslands seem to be a great place to shoot ELR. But if you can shoot to 1500 on your property that's pretty sweet!

Please PM me if you go to Pawnee and I'll try to join you - I don't know my way around there and want to check it out. I mostly shoot at the CRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rob_cook2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey everyone,
Robert </div></div>

Wow! 1500 pm your own place. Lucky!!!!!

I am talking with a couple of brokers to buy some vacant land. Looking at 160-200 acres. Trying to get it so that its 1 mile x 1/4th mile dimension for the lot so I can reach out to 1700 yards. This would allow me to setup targets and berms and not have to lug 100lb steel like when shooting on BLM land.

VSOP, I bought a place that is surrounded by National Forest makes long range shooting a very nice option.
grin.gif

Glad to see this thread is still alive! I forgot about it. I'm trying to get back into shooting between mountain climbing, and so just ordered a few hundred rounds of ammo from Southwest. I'm interested in getting out into open land to figure DOPE and come ups etc. with a new batch of ammo.

I've been to the Buena Vista DOW range a few times and love it, but would like to find something closer. It seems that every good range (CRC, BV-DOW) is over 100 miles from where I live! I think Pawnee is too.

Anyway, I'll be trying to get out again soon this spring/summer in order to drive my gun better so I can enter some comps...like the steel match at CRC or the matches down in Raton.

That is a long way to drive! Go by the BLM office and see what is also available up by Fairplay lots of BLM and National Forest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
rob_cook2001 said:
Please PM me if you go to Pawnee and I'll try to join you - I don't know my way around there and want to check it out. I mostly shoot at the CRC. </div></div>

Not sure if you have gotten out to pawnee, but here is a good map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5188822.pdf, as you can see it is checker board with Private and public land. Hwy 14 from Ault and North on WCR 61. Grids 12 and 13 have slots east to west for small bore, pistol and shotgun. The Rangers have moved long range shooting out to grid 4, you will see a makeshift barbed wire gate with a sign "keep closed". There are several 250 hills and some that reach way out there. I like to go on the week day though, because the weekend every yahoo is out there and dont always shoot with common sense.

I spoke with one of the rangers and they will be putting some CO funds into an actual covered shooting range at grid 13. Guess they want to herd everyone into one location, but you can still hunt small game and Antelope in any of the public areas (with the appropriate tag.) Also there are plenty of cotton tails, jacks, and yotes out there. PD towns as well but I'm not giving away my hotspot
smile.gif
Man is it the 15th yet?

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc...PLT2_027642.pdf

Thanks for the map. Grids 3/4 for ELR loooked good when I checked it out last week. If I can get a midweek day off I'll shoot you a PM.quote=roggom]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Starbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rob_cook2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please PM me if you go to Pawnee and I'll try to join you - I don't know my way around there and want to check it out. I mostly shoot at the CRC. </div></div>

Not sure if you have gotten out to pawnee, but here is a good map http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5188822.pdf, as you can see it is checker board with Private and public land. Hwy 14 from Ault and North on WCR 61. Grids 12 and 13 have slots east to west for small bore, pistol and shotgun. The Rangers have moved long range shooting out to grid 4, you will see a makeshift barbed wire gate with a sign "keep closed". There are several 250 hills and some that reach way out there. I like to go on the week day though, because the weekend every yahoo is out there and dont always shoot with common sense.

I spoke with one of the rangers and they will be putting some CO funds into an actual covered shooting range at grid 13. Guess they want to herd everyone into one location, but you can still hunt small game and Antelope in any of the public areas (with the appropriate tag.) Also there are plenty of cotton tails, jacks, and yotes out there. PD towns as well but I'm not giving away my hotspot
smile.gif
Man is it the 15th yet?

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc...PLT2_027642.pdf
</div></div>

I'm a CRC member living in Westminster, Colorado.

I'm heading out to the range here soon, work and rain allowing, in the next couple of weeks, to get ready for the spring shoots.

Send me a PM and we can link up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Who Dat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a long way to drive! Go by the BLM office and see what is also available up by Fairplay lots of BLM and National Forest. </div></div>

And all the wind you could ever hope for. seems like it blows up there 366 days of the year.

Going up to Colorado next weekend for a little R&R. I'll be staying with a friend in Evergreen, about 30 minutes outside of Denver. Going to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb next weekend and have the rest of the following week to screw around. I believe he wants to go to the Pawnee Grassland to stretch some rifles out. Just wanted to know if there were any places in the mountain ranges to shoot?

Thanks!

Thanks for the map, I have not been on much lately but finally picked up a good scope yesterday so its time to go get all my dope.
Picked up a New XTR 3-12x50 for $600.
As soon as I get my dope out to 1000 I want to hit up Pawnee.
Robert

I was out at Pawnee on Wednesday of last week whacking the shit out of some pDogs. It was a super nice day out there!

Anyone try the Boulder Rifle Club, When I lived in Colorado, in VA now they had a wait list, but they held matches and you could shoot there as long as a member took you.

http://www.boulderrifleclub.com/

the Boulder Rifle Club has a very loooooong wait list, like 8-10 year wait. I have been waiting for 4-5 years and have a long way to go. They do have a rifle match there the second Sunday of the month. Fun match that I shoot quite often. Kind of like 3-gun for bolt rifle. Here is the link to it. http://www.boulderrifleclub.com/BRC%20STEEL%20MATCH%20RULES.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rob_cook2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where in colorado (denver North) that I can buy AR500 plate??
Thanks
Robert </div></div>

try Denco steel. buddy just bought 10" rounds for 40 each.

Long time lurker looking for SH members in NW Colorado. The Buena Vista range sounds great but is still 3 hours from my place so not that practical for regular shooting. Anyone out there in my area?

I'd be interested in company or tagging along with anyone wanting to shoot out in Pike's. I have a spot near Buffalo Creek I frequent, but I'd be up for any new areas. I'd also like to get down to check out the DOW range soon. Let me know, if interested.

NRA Long Range Prone and F-Class Rifle Matches
Colorado West Gun Club
Dates: May 14, 2011 (3X20 @ 1000 yards), June 11 & July 16, 2011 (Palma Course)

Location: Stengel Gun Shop, 29051 Hwy 92. From the intersection of Highways 50 & 92 in Delta, drive 15 miles east on Highway 92. Turn into third driveway on the left (north) after the RR track crossing. This turnoff is at the milepost 15 and is 5 miles west of Hotchkiss.
Rules: Current NRA High Power and F-Class rules will apply. Eligibility: Open

Registration & Fees: Entries limited to range capacity of 30. Advance registration is not required.
Entries accepted the day of the match until 9:00 AM. Match fee is $20.00 for adults and $15.00 for juniors (through age 18). This is an official NRA Approved competition only for Long Range prone shooters. (Note: F-class shooters will be permitted to shoot in a separate category over the same courses of fire; however the F-class competitions at CO West will not be NRA sanctioned this year, and as such, scores will not be sent into the NRA for those competitors in F-class.)

Classification: NRA classification system.
Awards: Honors only. These matches are for the purpose of competitors working toward an NRA Long Range Rifle classification, friendly competition, and practice.
Start time: Competitors should be on site before 9:00 to facilitate registration and for range/safety briefing. First shot to be fired at 9:30 AM.
Rifles: NRA rules 3.1 (Service rifles), 3.2 (Any rifle), 3.3 (NRA match rifle), 3.3.1 (US Palma
Rifle), 3.3.2 (NRA Any Sight Match Rifle/Tactical Rifle), 3.4 (F-class Open & F/TR)
will be permitted.

Ammunition: Competitors to furnish their own ammunition.

Course of Fire: May 14: NRA Rule 7.3 - Three, 20-shot matches fired at a distance of 1000 yards with
unlimited sighting shots, with a total time limit of 30 minutes per match. The NRA LR
target will be used for those shooting prone with service/any/match/Palma rifles. F-class
shooters will use the NRA LRFC targets/target centers. All record firing and sighting
shots must be completed within the time limit for each match.

June 11 & July 16: NRA Rule 7.18 (NRA Palma Course) - Stage 1: Unlimited sighting
and fifteen record shots fired at 800 yards. Stage 2: Two sighting shots and fifteen
record shots fired at 900 yards. Stage 3: Two sighting shots and fifteen record shots
fired at 1000 yards. The time limit is 22 minutes per stage and all record firing and
sighting shots must be completed within the time limit. The NRA LR target will be
used for those shooting service/match/any/Palma rifles. F-class shooters will use the
NRA LRFC targets/target centers.

Pit Service & Scoring: Competitors are required to operate pits and score for other competitors.

Facilities: Bring your own food and drinks. We will not schedule a break for lunch. No alcohol is allowed on our range! There are primitive toilets on the range.

Contact: For more information contact: Isaac Dow at 970-260-2089 / [email protected]
or Ethan Dow at 970-250-3441 / [email protected]

Just received the mount for my PH to go on my REPR so I am hoping to get it zeroed by next weekend so I can go shoot it.

OK, I'll try this one more time...Any CO shooters out there who want to go shoot? Thinking of heading out to Buena Vista this weekend to hit the DOW range. Let me know if interested.

I am trying to get some of the guys around here to throw together a trip to the DOW steel range over a weekend. Right now, my rifle is at the smith's. He is building a custom brake for it, and it is getting some cutting and threading and crowning as well. I am waiting patiently... yeah right, on my CDI bottom metal and Manners T3 GAP Molded.

Once everything is together and singin it's pretty little song, I will have some more details to pass along. This is definately something that I want to do, and soon.

The plan would be to head out after work on a Friday and stay the night in Bueno. Get some early grub and head to the range to bang some steel. Spend probably the majority of the day there, and either head home that afternoon or stay over again Saturday night, then head home on Sunday morning.

DK

Give me a heads-up as far out as you can. Seems as I get older my time gets monopolized more and more.

Is there a way to get notifications when there are updates to threads on the Hide? I try to check this thread from time to time, but sometimes I forget. I'd hate to miss out on a gathering.

I'm not sure why I can't figure this out. It is so simple on all the other forums I am on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to get notifications when there are updates to threads on the Hide? I try to check this thread from time to time, but sometimes I forget. I'd hate to miss out on a gathering.

I'm not sure why I can't figure this out. It is so simple on all the other forums I am on.</div></div>

Open the thread, on the top click "Add to Watched Topics". Then, go to "My Stuff">"Watched Topics">"Edit Watched Topics">Click "Email Notification - immediately" > Then"Update Watched Topics"

Thanks Starbuck! Got it set, we'll see if it works.

If you have the time, head out to the Buena Vista DOW steel range. It's about 2.5 hours from your location, but well worth it. It's free and very well maintained. About 100 steel targets out to ~1100 yards, it will test you
laugh.gif

The DOW range is Salida is great. It is located off of US285 just north of Salida. Take the entrance for the Chaffee county landfill and turn left at the fork. Here are the GPS coordinates for the entrance.
N 38.661843 W 106.087998

I'm staying in Fort Collins until Tuesday. Already hit the local gun stores and the only one I liked was Action Arms on South College. I've got two 17HMR's in CZ 452's here but don't know of any place to shoot that's worthwhile. Been thinking of driving up to Wyoming to help reduce the rat population. The ones in Colorado are honorary citizens apparently.

You should try Pawnee National Grasslands. It's close to FTC.

Must not be the time of year for Prairie Dogs. Didn't see a single one in over 100 miles of driving. Very pretty area though. I'd bring a map and a gps as 2/3rd's of the grasslands are private.

Didn't fire a single shot but did get to be first response to a single truck rollover accident in the middle of nowhere. He lost control at 65 on gravel and no seatbelt. Walked away from it no obvious injury. He was out from Fort Collins to shoot Prairie Dogs too he said.

I go out and shoot pdogs out there quite often. You just have to know how to find the towns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go out and shoot pdogs out there quite often. You just have to know how to find the towns.</div></div>

You mean the $100 I spent on Prairie Dog calls at JAX was a waste of money? Next time I'm in Fort Collins I'll have to give you a call!
smile.gif

Prairie Dog call???
shocked.gif

One thing about the dog towns out on the Pawnee... those dogs have been shot at A LOT. You don't get a lot of close in shots, so you gotta bring your A game.

I feel like a little kid after hearing about the DOW range in Buena! I never knew that place was there. My new scope can't get here soon enough now! Thinking I'll have to head up there next weekend (the 24th or 25th) if anyone wants to join me.

LOL, yeah, I had heard that. I think that maybe you gotta get out of your truck and do a bit of walking. Others told me that they go down even if they hear a vehicle coming. I'll vouch for that.