• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: amarshy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question guys, Is CRC worth joining right now, considering what their weekend schedule looks like. And also do you need to have a sponsor to join?</div></div>

You don't need a sponsor to join the CRC, just fill out the app, pay, and they'll contact you to set up an orientation day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prekarious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything going on in western slope area anytime soon? New to area and the closest range to me requires both nra membership (have) and a sponsor to be allowed to join.
Been over a year since I shot seriously and I wanna play damnit! </div></div>

If you are inquiring about competitions, I don't really know. All I can really tell you about, is the free shooting that I do near my town, and the DOW ranges outside of Grand Junction and Clifton. I really like the Clifton range area, as there are so many shooting stalls out there, you won't ever have to worry about not having a place to shoot. The range in Grand Junction is OK, but you have to deal with a bunch of shooters vying for bench time.

All in all, I really prefer Windy Gulch, just outside of Meeker. I have 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard, and 300 yard spots that I love to shoot. It rarely has anyone else out there shooting when we are there. The Gulch itself, is guarded by the mountains, so your wind is channeled in your face, or blowing up your pants leg!! LOL. Nice place, and FREE!!

We also have access to some long range shooting out on BLM, to the East of the ColoWyo Mine property. Wide open spaces, with an access road for ATV's to set up and retrieve steel targets. We will be hitting this area quite a bit in the spring through the summer months!!

DK

I have open blm right outside the range down here but do occasionally like shooting at standard ranges just for the hell of it.

Meeker isn't all that far from here, if you ever want to meet up I can find time

prekarious, I am sending you a pm also regarding your local range. I am the president and if the sponsorship is the issue no worries. I will be at the range tomorrow at the 3 gun match. stop by or just show up and shoot. Happy to help however possible and apologies if you have posted here before and I did not see it.

Z71- when you head to the shooting place by colowyo let me know ... I would like to attend. also I can bring personal targets/steel and transportation if it helps. I am always interested in more shooting time.

Gadbmw- pm replied, thank you much appreciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gadbmw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Z71- when you head to the shooting place by colowyo let me know ... I would like to attend. also I can bring personal targets/steel and transportation if it helps. I am always interested in more shooting time. </div></div>

That is very cool!! We are in the middle of busting some PDogs when we get the chance. Hopefully the steel shooting will be happening here pretty soon out by ColoWyo. I have been contacted by a few shooters for the different competitions that you hold at your range there in Rifle. I am very interested!!

We are still on schedule for the Buena Vista shoot in June 8, 9, & 10th. You are definitely invited to participate with us for that as well!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We are still on schedule for the Buena Vista shoot in June 8, 9, & 10th. You are definitely invited to participate with us for that as well!!

DK</div></div>
I'll only be able to stay one night, but count me in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll only be able to stay one night, but count me in. </div></div>

Glad you will be able to attend all the same!! I am looking forward to it!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGosnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Location: Stengel Gun Shop, 29051 Hwy 92. From the intersection of Highways 50 & 92 in Delta, drive 15 miles east on Highway 92. Turn into third driveway on the left (north) after the RR track crossing. This turnoff is at the milepost 15 and is 5 miles west of Hotchkiss.
Rules: Current NRA High Power and F-Class rules will apply. Eligibility: Open
</div></div>

I know that place, heck my dad knew the previous Stengel who owned the shop. Is this competition an annual thing?

OK, we are getting down the to deadline time here for the DOW Steel Shoot this coming weekend. My fiance won't be able to get off work early on Friday, so we will be getting there a bit on the late side. We should be showing up with a buddy of mine and his family around 11pm or so.

We will be getting camp set up and will be ready to begin shooting in the earlish hours on Saturday morning. I am hoping that we are going to have a good turn out for this camping/shooting trip. And remember, this is a kids/spouses friendly event!! All are welcome, and I hope to get to put some faces with the names here in Colorado!!

DK

DK,

I would love to try to come out and meet / shoot with you guys. I have a work project that may interfere, but I will try to make it out if I can. Where are you going to camp at?

Hmmm, it was my understanding that it was good to go to camp there at the range?? If not, then there will have to be some other arrangements made...

DK

I am unsure about that. If someone knows more on the subject that would be great. I have camped near by, and there are several pay camping areas and a few free camping areas close by. If you need some info on the campgrounds I can share what I know.

Thanks for all the information!! That is going to be a HUGE help for sure. I will get with my buddy to see where he wants to drop his camper, as we will be staying with him.

As soon as I get that part squared away, I will get the information posted here so everyone can make plans to be there with us, or stopping off at another camp site.

This is gonna be a blast!!

DK

Is this Saturday, Sunday, or both? Might try to make it Sunday...

We were going to try and make it down there Friday night, but it looks like the girls all have to work late. We will be heading out around 4am on Saturday morning, so we should hit there by 8am at the latest. We will be there shooting most of the day on Saturday.

We will be camping at Brown's Creek Campground Saturday night, and shooting again early Sunday morning. I would imagine we will be leaving around 10am or so, as we have a mountain hike planned for the families through the early afternoon.

DK

Guys, anybody in northern Colorado shoot at Pawnee? Are there any places still open where you can shoot long range stuff?

I used to go up off 14 east of Ault but almost got hit there by stray shots or ricochets. I'd heard that the place was since closed. I am a member of a model rocket club that does their launches about 20 miles north of there and there's a place to do some short-range work next to that road.

Where can you do 200-500 yard work at Pawnee?

You are more than welcome to come shoot some steel out at Chaffee County with us. We will be there this weekend, and probably shooting all day on Saturday!!

DK

And shooting early Sunday morning as well!!

DK

Well, of course, plans always are a changing!!

We will have half of our group down at the range on Friday afternoon, with the rest of our group getting there late Friday night. We will be camping somewhere, as close to the Brown's Creek Campsite as possible, depending on how many people are out there at the time.

We hope to get a few rounds down range late Friday afternoon, and will regroup with everyone at the range on Saturday morning. I am looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

DK

I was at the Chaffee range this past Monday. I learned the guy who takes care of the range broke his leg and hasn't been there in awhile. If you guys would, pick up a few cans of black spray paint and give the targets a coat of paint.

This is tremendously tempting. It's a helluva drive for me but it might be worth it. Do you guys think I might be able to use the steels to work up a couple of loads on my new Springfield 03A3?

There's target boards at 50,100, and 215 yard too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at the Chaffee range this past Monday. I learned the guy who takes care of the range broke his leg and hasn't been there in awhile. If you guys would, pick up a few cans of black spray paint and give the targets a coat of paint.

</div></div>

We can do that!!

DK

For those of you that had thoughts of going but your on the fence about going, pack your stuff and head down tomorrow. Its a nice range, hats off to all the people that were involved in bring everything together. Theres lots of steel to shoot at and good variety of shapes and sizes. Being new to all things associated with long range shooting, it gave me a chance to learn how to dial in my scope and use the software.

The wind was on and off but not terrible. There were a few SH people coming and going throughout the period while I was there. For others in the Front Range and Denver area, its a bit of a drive but well worth time.

Nice freakin range!! We spent the early part of the morning on the pistol range, and my Andrea is getting the basics down pat!! It was a really good day, but the wind at times was a bit of a challenge.

The steel targets on the rifle range is superb!! I was very happy to see that the Strelok program works as good as it does. First shot of the day was on the buffalo at 535... Very nice head shot to start things off!!

The gong 1020 was really a tough one with the wind, but I will make that one happen!! It is a really awesome range, for everything you could want to shoot. I will be back!!

Nice meeting you guys, and I hope to see you again!!

DK

z71rat was there a lot of people at the range on Saturday?

Not a lot of people by any means at all. I was really surprised, as I thought there was going to be several Hide members there.

DK

Thanks for the reply. I might have to plan a time to go out there once day. What's the farthest target that one can shoot out to?

Steel gong @ 1020 yards!! It's a challenge to say the least!!

DK

The shot that I was happiest about, was the 600 yard bowling pin!! Got that sucker on the 1st shot, even with the wind!!
wink.gif

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shot that I was happiest about, was the 600 yard bowling pin!! Got that sucker on the 1st shot, even with the wind!!
wink.gif

DK </div></div>

I was planning on coming up last weekend but found out I will be camping near there with a youth group this weekend. We will be coming from Leadville, but I plan to run up there early Saturday, very excited!

Can anyone tell me how far from Buena Vista the range is? I know it's on 285 between Buena Vista and Salida.

Nevermind, looks like it's about 13 miles. Will try to get pictures to post up of the shoot!

Thanks for the reply Z71rat.

Looking forward to the photos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shot that I was happiest about, was the 600 yard bowling pin!! Got that sucker on the 1st shot, even with the wind!!
wink.gif

DK </div></div>

Try that with the 1020 yard narrow strip of steel.

I missed seeing that! I am so bummed. The only things I noticed went to 600 and some change. I will say, it was a good chance to check out the scopes ability to adjust to different ranges. It was still fun, to bad more people didn't show up.

To get outside today I headed back to Chaffee County Range. Since our meet up they have added 2 more shooting stations on the rifle range, along the extending the cover over them. It is the nicest place to shoot at, if you haven't been there try it. Living in Erie its 320 + miles round trip but its a nice drive minus the semis slowing things up.

I had some unfinished business with a gong at 1020yds, I over looked during the meet up. It took 4 shoots but thats my longest shot to date it felt good.

I launched 4 at that stupid thing, and I figured I would stop wasting the rounds. I never saw even a hint of splash to get me there. I hope to drop a PST on mine to get some good elevation!!

I will be back out there one day, and I will give the 1020 a go!!

DK

I'm heading to the Chaffee county (DOW) range tomorrow. Does anyone know if this one is closed due to fire/shooting bans or restrictions? It's a 135 mi. drive I'd rather not make if I can't shoot. Thanks in advance!

*<span style="font-style: italic">I couldn't find any info on DOW's web page, but thought I'd double-check here.</span>

While I’m not 100% certain, it has been raining hard almost every day for the last week or more, I haven’t heard of any closures. You might give the Chaffee County Sheriff a quick call to double check.

I thought they lifted the bans when we had the rain, but I would double check, as you said that is a pretty far drive.

FYI,
Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont is getting ready to start classes at their new Long Range location just east of Windsor.

We are gonna have an introductory class the weekend of July 28th for a few select people. Afterwards, I believe they are going to have a full blown monthly schedule for Precision Rifle Classes. Distances at their new location is out to 2500m, so expect some ELR classes to be held there also.

It's a nice location and he is getting ready to layout of a lot of steel, both KD and UKD.

Thanks. I checked the Chaffee county website too, and they're only under a stage I ban currently...says nothing about shooting.

http://chaffeesheriff.org/fire-restrictions/

That's great info about Trigger Time and their new range. I'd definitely be interested. Windsor is only ~80 miles from me.

*Edit to add: After calling Chaffee county sheriff, "<span style="font-style: italic">to the best of my knowledge, it's open.</span>" was the reply I got. FYI.

Would love to get some more info about Trigger Time's new range. Living in Ft Collins it would be right around the corner. Would like another place to shoot and am interested in some training in the future. Jumped on their website and didn't find anything.

Was out there Saturday, range is open. It was raining and a little windy but always a good time to shoot at the Chaffee range. PS: the rain make seeing contrails much much easier!

It was open and we had a good day. Took my boy shooting for his first time. Used his new Crickett.

IMG_0619.jpg

Going to make a weekend out of it this time. That way there will be many different conditions to practice in.

Hi everyone. I have been in the Springs now (just moved here) for about 6 months. I have been trying to find a place to shoot besides Dragonman's. It has been hard for me, seeing as how I am used to just walking out back, back home in Indiana. Anyone know of a good place near the Springs, or at least a cheap place near the springs that allows you to shoot past 200 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: want2Baccurate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of a good place near the Springs, or at least a cheap place near the springs that allows you to shoot past 200 yards? </div></div>

Not sure what your definition of "near" is, but the DOW range south of Buena Vista is cheap (free) and has steel out to 1,000+ yards.

dowfromCS.jpg

Depending on where you are in CS, it's about 100 miles. I drive 135 to get there and it's always a fun place to shoot.