• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Found a tight little spot out in Pike National Forest yesterday. Farthest shot I made was 1858 yards but that was the limitation of my range finder. Anybody wants to head out that way drop me a line.

I'm moving Houston ---> Denver in the next month or so. I'm looking forward to doing some longer distance shooting - the range that I go to right now is great, but limited to 300 yds, and it is almost too hot outside to shoot June thru August.

All I shoot right now is a 6.5x55, .308 and 5.56. Hoping to shoot in some public land instead of a crowded range!! Hopefully hunting something other than 80-lb midget East-Texas white-tail deer too!

Welcome to Colorado TeaRex, you'll find Denver quite a bit different from Houston climate wise ;) You have some great ranges available to you but you seem to indicate you want wide open spaces. The best I found when I lived up North is Pawnee Grasslands, just don't shoot the ranchers cows and you should be good for long, loooong distances out there, it is about 2 1/2 hours north and east of Denver. Trigger Time in Longmont has a long range class that Frank (Lowlight) from SH here teaches. Colorado Rifle Club in Byers, CO won't be too far from you and has a 1000 yard range and competitions.

As far as hunting, there is nothing better than good ol' Rocky Mountain Elk! Also, Antelope pose a nice long range challenge and are great tasting as well! The one thing you'll miss up here is the lack of hog huntin' :(

WJM,

Thanks for the welcome. I think I'd enjoy shooting on public land - it's such a foreign concept for me that I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but I think it should be fun. I've heard of Trigger Time, I'm looking forward to checking that place out. Any good reloading stores in Denver? Houston is surprisingly lacking.

As soon as I finalized my move, I looked up the elk tag deadline and realized I juuuust missed it. Oh well. Apparently there are "Over-the-counter" tags for certain GMUs / seasons? I have a lot to learn about the CO game management system coming from TX... hunting is much more straightforward here.

If anyone wants to shoot around the grandjuntion area I will be home on post deployment leave in two weeks. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Scott

I don't live in the Denver area so I'm not certain about "local" reloading shops; however, Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas have a decent amount of reloading supplies, I think BPS is too expensive for a lot of their stuff so I typically avoid purchasing there.

WJM,

Thanks for the welcome. I think I'd enjoy shooting on public land - it's such a foreign concept for me that I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but I think it should be fun. I've heard of Trigger Time, I'm looking forward to checking that place out. Any good reloading stores in Denver? Houston is surprisingly lacking.

As soon as I finalized my move, I looked up the elk tag deadline and realized I juuuust missed it. Oh well. Apparently there are "Over-the-counter" tags for certain GMUs / seasons? I have a lot to learn about the CO game management system coming from TX... hunting is much more straightforward here.

Went to Cheyenne Mtn Shooting complex (Fort Carson) for the first time on Saturday. Nice setup and a pretty good deal at $10 for the day. I was on range 1 where they have steel plates at 500, 600, 800 and 1080 if I remember correctly. Once I got my scope dialed in it was pretty easy to hit the 500 yard target with some old reloads, I'm still working on my primary load for the LMT LM8 and can't wait to try the 1080.

Went to Cheyenne Mtn Shooting complex (Fort Carson) for the first time on Saturday. Nice setup and a pretty good deal at $10 for the day. I was on range 1 where they have steel plates at 500, 600, 800 and 1080 if I remember correctly. Once I got my scope dialed in it was pretty easy to hit the 500 yard target with some old reloads, I'm still working on my primary load for the LMT LM8 and can't wait to try the 1080.

Their ranges are pretty nice! I go on Thursdays and usually have the range to myself

Check out the new Conejos County range that we just opened in Sept. Great range out to 600 yards, plus more. See the range page at Colorado Parks & Wildlife website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do they go out to 1080 now? That would be great...

Found a tight little spot out in Pike National Forest yesterday. Farthest shot I made was 1858 yards but that was the limitation of my range finder. Anybody wants to head out that way drop me a line.

I am at the base of Pikes Peak, whereabouts is this spot? I hate having to drive 2 hours to either Whittington or the BV range.

I'm curious if anyone knows a good mountain valley that's car accessible where one could set up a steel target "over yonder" and practice the whole drill of ranging & calculating a firing solution & wind reading & then shooting.

I don't yet have a steel target and I don't know of a good location, but I'd love to make a day like this some weekend this summer, as the range is getting a bit boring.

I'm curious if anyone knows a good mountain valley that's car accessible where one could set up a steel target "over yonder" and practice the whole drill of ranging & calculating a firing solution & wind reading & then shooting.

I don't yet have a steel target and I don't know of a good location, but I'd love to make a day like this some weekend this summer, as the range is getting a bit boring.

The range between Buena Vista and Salida is pretty sweet. Steel targets from about 200 to just over 1000 yards and free to use. Budget a day because from where you are it'll take about three hours to get there. You could even rent a cabin in BV. I have some pictures of it here Chaffee County DOW Steel Range

Twin Lakes has some flipping monster Lake Trout as well ! If you're in the area?

Twin Lakes has some flipping monster Lake Trout as well ! If you're in the area?

Last I checked I believe it is illegal to shoot fish :D I'm always in for shooting and fishing though, will have to check that out

They also have a huge slot limit on them but a friend goes there often from PLO and I just thought you might have a few minutes to shoot a few monsters ! Hehe!!

Howdy. I am new to the forum and I am wondering if there is anyone on the Western Slope who are on here.

Howdy. I am new to the forum and I am wondering if there is anyone on the Western Slope who are on here.

Welcome! There are a few on here from the Western Slope, we tried to move to Montrose a few years ago and it just didn't work out so we're back on the front range. I know there's a group out of Grand Junction that sometimes posts around here...

Welcome! There are a few on here from the Western Slope, we tried to move to Montrose a few years ago and it just didn't work out so we're back on the front range. I know there's a group out of Grand Junction that sometimes posts around here...

Thank you! Well, that's good to know. I am also down for a meeting a few on the Front Range if I can find my way that way. :D

Only with a steel plate, you'll obviously need a good spotter or good follow up to spot your hits

This. They have quite a few steel plates out there from 600, 800, and 1080 yards (I know the exact distance on the 1080, but don't hold me to the others). The only problem with range 1 is that it's only open on Saturdays and they split the firing line into 6 rifle spots and the rest are pistol. Range 2 has some steel targets as well, but if I remember correctly, their farthest is 422 yards to an antelope shaped target.

ETA: There's a stake in the ground with a plastic "ribbon" on it about 50' or so to the left of the 1080 target you can use to gauge wind. I haven't looked for others, but I'm sure they're there.

Another ETA: Range 2 supposedly has deer and bear steel targets that are 500+ and just over 600 yards, but I don't think I've ever seen them actually standing, so until they're up, the longest shot on 2 will be the antelope at 422 yds

Last edited:
SHOOTING SPORTS NEWS: 2ND ANNUAL FREEDOM SHOOT
DATE: June 28th & 29th, 2014
PLACE: Pawnee Sportsman’s Center
40914 County Rd. 71 Brigsdale, Co. 80611
EMAIL: [email protected]
FAX: 719.275.2843

(Brigsdale, Co.) – 2nd Annual Colorado Freedom Shoot has become the largest firearms related event in Colorado with $10,000 in cash and prizes!

The upcoming Colorado Freedom Shoot is now being called the largest firearms related event in the State! Since politicians enacted the magazine ban and industry leaders responded with moving their business’ out of the State, those left behind are continuing to organize and keep up the fight! Defying the odds, our 2nd Annual Freedom Shoot is already much larger than the first, which was held in protest of the reactive laws that the Governor is now apologizing for. Even the NRA-ILA has identified the potential to keep this organized event growing and has graciously donated CASH for our prize tables which are now up to $10,000 in prizes!

Held at Pawnee Sportsmen's Center, just NE of Greeley, this range is one of the largest in the State. Competitors can shoot from 25 to over a 1,000 yards, enjoy modern shotgun ranges and utilize one of the largest Cowboy Action facilities in the region.

There are multiple opportunities for seasoned competitors, as well as, interested newbies to come and shoot firearms of their choice and compete for cash and prizes. Entries are affordable and range from $25-$50. Machine Gun Tours will provide the thrill of full auto and the appropriately named “Biden Challenge” will provide guns & ammo competitors. Don’t miss the “Night Vision” match, which will also include guns & ammo for those who want to give it a shot! Sign up now for Multiple Chances to Win Big!

It was great meeting Frank and everyone in the Long Range event at the Colorado Freedom Shoot! Good people, all around.

So today I ventured out for my first shooting in Colorado, and my first shooting on public land. I had heard that there was good shooting to be had at Pike National Forest, so I left Denver at 9am today to go shooting. After driving a good ways into the park down Rampart Range Road trying to find a good spot, I eventually gave up on trying to pass through the shooting-restricted recreation /4-wheeler area. I turned back, and then headed down 67, along the S Platte River, and I was about to give up and head home when I finally got to an area that appeared to be pretty amenable to shooting due to what looked like a pine beetle infestation/clearing. I got out of my truck, hiked ~100 yards off the road towards a ridge, and I started hearing gunfire, which at the time I was relieved to hear (since I had been looking for a shooting spot all day). However, as soon as I made the ridge, I started to hear bullets whizzing by (presumably overhead). I could see a few cars about ~400 yards away, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would be firing back north, towards me and the highway (and well as over the ridge itself!!!)

FYI -I was certainly not 'downrange' of where most of the cars/shooters were (that I saw later)... I didn't poke my head over the berm on an active firing line. If people were shooting so that I could hear the bullets go by, they were clearly firing towards and over a roadway, and into a very un-observable and likely inhabited valley.

I got out of there pretty quick and then drove around the corner and found what seemed like the sanctioned shooting area in the park, and confirmed with one of the shooters that it was public land. I would like to go back in the future. But the fact that there were people shooting (IMHO) over berms , towards roads, etc., makes me very nervous about getting anywhere near there again. The basic rules of firearm safety appeared to be ignored.

Anyways, if anyone has a good shooting honey hole they would be willing to share near Denver for good, safe shooting, I'd appreciate it, I certainly lost my enthusiasm for finding a place of my own today. The place I found was a few miles S of Deckers on 67.

TeaRex

So today I ventured out for my first shooting in Colorado, and my first shooting on public land. I had heard that there was good shooting to be had at Pike National Forest, so I left Denver at 9am today to go shooting. After driving a good ways into the park down Rampart Range Road trying to find a good spot, I eventually gave up on trying to pass through the shooting-restricted recreation /4-wheeler area. I turned back, and then headed down 67, along the S Platte River, and I was about to give up and head home when I finally got to an area that appeared to be pretty amenable to shooting due to what looked like a pine beetle infestation/clearing. I got out of my truck, hiked ~100 yards off the road towards a ridge, and I started hearing gunfire, which at the time I was relieved to hear (since I had been looking for a shooting spot all day). However, as soon as I made the ridge, I started to hear bullets whizzing by (presumably overhead). I could see a few cars about ~400 yards away, but I couldn't imagine why anyone would be firing back north, towards me and the highway (and well as over the ridge itself!!!)

FYI -I was certainly not 'downrange' of where most of the cars/shooters were (that I saw later)... I didn't poke my head over the berm on an active firing line. If people were shooting so that I could hear the bullets go by, they were clearly firing towards and over a roadway, and into a very un-observable and likely inhabited valley.

I got out of there pretty quick and then drove around the corner and found what seemed like the sanctioned shooting area in the park, and confirmed with one of the shooters that it was public land. I would like to go back in the future. But the fact that there were people shooting (IMHO) over berms , towards roads, etc., makes me very nervous about getting anywhere near there again. The basic rules of firearm safety appeared to be ignored.

Anyways, if anyone has a good shooting honey hole they would be willing to share near Denver for good, safe shooting, I'd appreciate it, I certainly lost my enthusiasm for finding a place of my own today. The place I found was a few miles S of Deckers on 67.

TeaRex

Shoot me a PM... I'll hook you up with some GPS Cords.

A good note is that the Sheriff's office owns the 1000 yard range and it is only open to the public on the weekends.

TeaRex

I go out to the Pike's National Forrest about 2 a month for shooting and off roading. I've never run into this situation, but it sounds dangerous. I normally head up 24 and when I get to Divide I take a right at the light and head out towards Hackett Gulch. There was a bad fire out there years ago and a lot of the trees were burned down. Which provides a lot of open space to shoot across.

TrailDamage.com - Hackett Gulch

That is a link to Hackett Gulch. You need a 4X4 to get there.

SHOOTING SPORTS NEWS: 2ND ANNUAL FREEDOM SHOOT
DATE: June 28th & 29th, 2014
PLACE: Pawnee Sportsman’s Center
40914 County Rd. 71 Brigsdale, Co. 80611
EMAIL: [email protected]
FAX: 719.275.2843

(Brigsdale, Co.) – 2nd Annual Colorado Freedom Shoot has become the largest firearms related event in Colorado with $10,000 in cash and prizes!

The upcoming Colorado Freedom Shoot is now being called the largest firearms related event in the State! Since politicians enacted the magazine ban and industry leaders responded with moving their business’ out of the State, those left behind are continuing to organize and keep up the fight! Defying the odds, our 2nd Annual Freedom Shoot is already much larger than the first, which was held in protest of the reactive laws that the Governor is now apologizing for. Even the NRA-ILA has identified the potential to keep this organized event growing and has graciously donated CASH for our prize tables which are now up to $10,000 in prizes!

Held at Pawnee Sportsmen's Center, just NE of Greeley, this range is one of the largest in the State. Competitors can shoot from 25 to over a 1,000 yards, enjoy modern shotgun ranges and utilize one of the largest Cowboy Action facilities in the region.

There are multiple opportunities for seasoned competitors, as well as, interested newbies to come and shoot firearms of their choice and compete for cash and prizes. Entries are affordable and range from $25-$50. Machine Gun Tours will provide the thrill of full auto and the appropriately named “Biden Challenge” will provide guns & ammo competitors. Don’t miss the “Night Vision” match, which will also include guns & ammo for those who want to give it a shot! Sign up now for Multiple Chances to Win Big!

Wish I would have been a member of SH back in June. Was not aware of this event.
If you know of any other shooting events in Colorado please continue to post.

So, I'm heading to Denver this weekend for a few months due to work. Really tempted it bring a rifle or two along after seeing some of pictures of the areas you guys shoot at! Just hesitant since I won't have a secure place to keep them.

So, I'm heading to Denver this weekend for a few months due to work. Really tempted it bring a rifle or two along after seeing some of pictures of the areas you guys shoot at! Just hesitant since I won't have a secure place to keep them.

You might check with one of the indoor ranges to see if they would let you rent a locker for the time you are in Colorado. I had a buddy do this while he was working oil in the state.

Nico

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Getting to this a little late, but if you haven't already found the Rifle Sportsman's club, it is one of the best facilities I have heard of on the Western Slope and they have monthly matches for precision rifle, 3 gun, and action pistol. The format and targets of the matches change each time, but there are quite a number of steel targets situated along the bluff and known range out to 300 yards. During matches, we can get out to just under 1,000 yards but for general shooting days, the range tops out around 500.

Let's get this back to the top! It would be great to meet up with some other Colorado shooters

Do any of you know where lowlight is shooting at when he does some of the videos? There are some high voltage towers in the background.

Does Carson open up ranges?
Figured id ask, when i was stationed in GA they had precision matches on the weekend with a open enrollment

Does Carson open up ranges?
Figured id ask, when i was stationed in GA they had precision matches on the weekend with a open enrollment

The range at Ft. Carson is actually just outside of the base and open to public. I believe Mondays it is closed.

second Saturday of the month is a precision match with targets from 250 out to 1085. Next match is this weekend.

Western Slopes, Hotchkiss at Stengels shooting range, midrange and long range Fclass, two matches a month.

Also a new shooting facility in Cameo, CO (close to Palisade) is under construction, we emphasized PRS/3gun etc at the planning meeting. Plans are for precision rifle to 1000, sporting clays, and 15 plus pistol bays, 3gun etc.

Nice to see more Colorado Shooters showing up. Frontier Sportsman's Club is almost finished with their 1000 yard range at the Hanover location (south Colorado Springs), once that is completed (hopefully summer 2017) they will hopefully offer some competitions open to the public. Fort Carson has a great setup open to the public called the Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex, I have had their monthly Saturday match on my Calendar for at least a year and have not been able to attend once unfortunately; however, for more information you can check out this link at the old scout site - http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...carson-co-monthly-precision-field-rifle-match

Hello All from Lakewood. Just moved back after being gone for 10 with the Army. Looking to find people to shoot with in the area out to distances of around 1500-1700 yards max. I've got my own steel and guns but just don't know where to really play here. I know about a few 1000 yard clubs in the area but wanted to also shoot real world steel PVA3.jpg

Attachments

• PVA3.jpg
    PVA3.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 28
Hello All from Lakewood. Just moved back after being gone for 10 with the Army. Looking to find people to shoot with in the area out to distances of around 1500-1700 yards max. I've got my own steel and guns but just don't know where to really play here. I know about a few 1000 yard clubs in the area but wanted to also shoot real world steel .

Paul

I see, so you post pictures of your cool toys and then ask if anybody wants to play? All kidding aside, thank you for your service and welcome back to Colorado. I've always wanted to find a place out in the National Forest somewhere that offers 1000+ yards to play with steel but haven't had the time to investigate more unfortunately. There are many other shooters here who can probably point you in the right direction. I don't understand why there isn't more places out east where it's just flat and empty that is BLM that would allow shooting.

Lmao. Didn't want people thinking I wanted to use their weapons Bill. Or think I'm a rookie. :)
Agreed on east Colorado. I'll be looking and investigating this spring and summer looking for a good area that offers he ability to drive the steel out and drive back to the firing area. Any one interested in going say when.

Paul

I had several postings of our monthly match on the previous Hide. So, I will get it started back up here again!!

1st Saturday of every month, we have a Precision Rifle Steel Match, located in Rifle, CO. The match is at the Rifle Sportsmans Club, and we shoot sun, rain, snow, wind, tornado, blizzard, etc...

Lot's of fun, lot's of good people, and everyone does what they can to help new shooters get into and enjoy the sport! Come on out and send some downrange. You will have a blast!!

The cost is only $20.00, and we have steel anywhere from 200 yards, out to over 900, depending on which course of fire is decided on for the day. Definitely a challenge!!

DK

For more info, feel free to text me @ 970-456-7702

Range Location: North of Hwy 13 & Fravert Rd. - Rifle, CO 81650

Saturday morning... 04/01/2017 in Rifle, CO. Read the above post for details. Be prepared for rain and snow and only a slight bit of sunshine... Hope to see you there!!

DK

I thought this was the Wild West - where is everybody at?!

Newer shooter here looking for any chance I can to get out and lob shots. I'd like to get a group together to head up to Pawnee, down to Carson, or anywhere else available ::cough:: who has a private range ::cough::

Im thinking May - who's with me?

My opinion for most front range shooters is to just go to one of the established ranges or matches. By the time you venture out to a suitable spot in the mountains or in the plains, recon it to make sure it's safe, setup your targets, etc... you're not coming out ahead. There are great public ranges in Buena Vista and Sterling with steel out to that magical 1k yard mark and I've never had to compete for bench time at either one. Takes about 2 hrs to get to either one and all you've gotta do is pick a bench and bang away. If you want a good match try the fort Carson, the Rifle precision match, or the sporting rifle match in Raton. Great shooters at all events and they're well run with challenging courses of fire.

Forget public land out east, it doesn't exist as far as long range shooting opportunities are concerned. Getting friendly with some locals (or marrying into land) is about the only way you're getting access and believe me when I say those landowners out there know every inch of their property and what it's being used for.

Unfortunately with our states rising popularity and population there just aren't many good (public) long range shooting opportunities close to Denver metro. Also, those spots out in the mountains or up in Pawnee that seem desolate probably aren't. Check around thoroughly for hikers, trails, Mtn bikers, livestock, etc before you launch lead.

Its not quite as wild out west as one might think...

TIME FOR SOME STEEL HUNTING!!!!!!!

1st Saturday of every month, we have a Precision Rifle Steel Match, located in Rifle, CO. The match is at the Rifle Sportsmans Club, and we shoot sun, rain, snow, wind, tornado, blizzard, etc...

Lot's of fun, lot's of good people, and everyone does what they can to help new shooters get into and enjoy the sport! Come on out and send some downrange. You will have a blast!!

The cost is only $20.00, and we have steel anywhere from 200 yards, out to over 900, depending on which course of fire is decided on for the day.

Timed stages, goofy assed positional firing, figure out the range and shoot to the best of your ability... finitely a challenge!!

DK

For more info, feel free to text me @ 970-456-7702

Range Location: North of Hwy 13 & Fravert Rd. - Rifle, CO 81650