• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Contractor repos the shower he installed.

Again, did you sign off on this project?

Did you see it in person?

Did you see the finished project in any way or form?

Do you know for a fact that there wasn't a concern/question/punch list still left to do?

No?

Then what the fuck are you going on about?

Read my initial post. I want more info to make a determination. You on the other hand seem to have your mind made up and are/were in construction at some point. So either we can agree to disagree and wait to see if we ever get more info out of this, or you can come to Utah and build my miniature giraffe a golden toilet and we'll see whats up when I decide to 'lose my wallet' for 2 or 3 days afterwards.
Can confirm the presence of a miniature Giraffe, amongst other "Go be Poor Somewhere Else" items which made my wallet sigh.

A friend is a block and brick contractor. (He only does the high end homes). He was telling me about a guy that told him that he was too expensive and would do the block work himself. He drove by the job and the block was laid so he stopped to talk to the homeowner and check out the work. He said that the lines were level and the joints looked pretty good for a beginner. Then the guy told him his trick was to use marbles as spacers. 1500 block and 4 marbles per block. That's a lot of marbles.

A friend is a block and brick contractor. (He only does the high end homes). He was telling me about a guy that told him that he was too expensive and would do the block work himself. He drove by the job and the block was laid so he stopped to talk to the homeowner and check out the work. He said that the lines were level and the joints looked pretty good for a beginner. Then the guy told him his trick was to use marbles as spacers. 1500 block and 4 marbles per block. That's a lot of marbles.
A DIY 'r said he used that trick to lay glass block in his home.

Oh but wait.....

Anyone want to try and figure out why after demanding money 'communication broke down' after looking at this...

Yeah, I'd come back and hit this shit with a hammer too.
Hey, here is my shower I’m just finishing lmfao!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg

In the state of TN once anything is attached to the house it belongs to the homeowner. If they don't pay for it your only recourse is civil court. The courts will decide if you can repo it. Once you get a writ of repossession you have to catch the homeowner at the house and then get the sheriff department to oversee the repo. The homeowner can leave before the sheriff arrives and there's squat you can do to stop them from leaving. You will be charged with unlawful detainment if you try and stop them. Nothing in the house can be damaged in the process of repo.
I have been down the road with this and it really sucks. I once got tired of the game and put a lean on the property which does nothing until they try to sell or their estate (after death) is settled. I was contacted about 12 years after a lean asking if I could settle so they could sell the property. I got a check for the amount and 10% additional.

Nah. I don't do tile work. I'm not on meth.

Here's what I do.

View attachment 7704631

View attachment 7704627
As a skilled stonemason let me say thats shit work, bubba.

Just kidding, :love: beautiful job. where did you get the limestone, out north east of Burnet. I used to find pieces with lots of fossils in it. Always tried to set them so the fossil showed, the homeowners loved it. Andother thing thaqt I got a lot of recognition for was building in 'hiding places'. Id build a cavity about the size of a shoebox, then leave one rock that could be removed to access the cavity. told people thats where they could stash the gold or family jewels. I got pretty well known for that. Learned the trick from visiting old European castles.

As a skilled stonemason let me say thats shit work, bubba.

Just kidding, :love: beautiful job. where did you get the limestone, out north east of Burnet. I used to find pieces with lots of fossils in it. Always tried to set them so the fossil showed, the homeowners loved it. Andother thing thaqt I got a lot of recognition for was building in 'hiding places'. Id build a cavity about the size of a shoebox, then leave one rock that could be removed to access the cavity. told people thats where they could stash the gold or family jewels. I got pretty well known for that. Learned the trick from visiting old European castles.
I'll be damned, I thought I was the only one that offered secret hiding spots in the stone. (I should have gone back and checked them.)

Yeah, that stone came from quarries east of Burnet in the Jarrell, Florence area. I remember when the F5 tornado went through Jarrell in '95. I wondered what would have happened if it went through those rock quarries. It would have turned tons of chopped limestone into missiles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot and Bender
After watching this threads for a few days, I've decided it's best if contractors avoid doing business with homeowners and homeowners should never hire contractors.

I got quotes several years ago for a gas line run. $1K, $3K, and $7K! I think some of these contractors simply make their living off a few rich/older people that simply don't know any better. Whenever a contractors wants my address before even giving me a rough estimate of a basic job, I know he's going to be sandbagging the estimate.

Reactions: phxfa
I got quotes several years ago for a gas line run. $1K, $3K, and $7K! I think some of these contractors simply make their living off a few rich/older people that simply don't know any better. Whenever a contractors wants my address before even giving me a rough estimate of a basic job, I know he's going to be sandbagging the estimate.
I never give a quote over the phone. I tell them if they're wanting something like whats on my website, those pools start at $$$.

If they tell me they are 'taking bids' I tell them I don't bid as no other companies do what I do. I can give them a concept after looking at the site and a rough idea of what I can do it for but I need an address to see the site.

If they insist I shoot them a bid over the phone without looking at the site I know they looking for the cheapest cookie cutter pool that anyone can build and in a polite way I respectively tell them to FO.

Simmer down there sunshine.

From the video, final amount was due 9/6. Since today is 9/15, I'm going to guess it happened a few days ago.

Is what world do you live in where you go into someones' house with a sledge hammer 2-3 days after completing work? An intelligent person would put these few things together and deduct that everything is probably not as it seems. This looks like something that would happen after either weeks/months of being ghosted or is some form of retribution for something else. This isn't something a rational person does after a few days.

From their statement, it said that they completed the work and wanted paid that day. There's three things you never do with a contractor;

never take off work to meet them at your house because 83% of the time they wont fucking show up

never pay them up front because then best case, they'll run the bill up and want more money, worse case they'll disappear

never pay them the minute they say they are done because anything found to be wrong or not completed after the money exchanges hands has like a 2.87689% chance of actually being fixed

Have you gone in and inspected the work that was done? No? Then how do you know shit about any of this? It's also strangely weird that these same guys would then come in and destroy it 2-3 days afterwards. That part makes this really odd for multiple reasons; why destroy your chances of being paid at all within a few days of completion? Why destroy something that you said was completed and you wanted paid for, 2 minutes after being done? Why whine about this costing weeks of time and thousands of dollars and then hitting it with a mallet 2 days later even if she did just want a week or whatever to 'try it out'? Does not compute. There's something else to this.

If the work was done correctly, she obviously owes them. However, the story versus the events, don't make sense to anyone who doesn't want to just see what they want to see, at all.

What's actually going to come out of this is, even if she was in the wrong, contractor guy is losing his license and being sued/having charges filed while he will basically put some ghetto contractor's lien on some house she's probably upside down on after refi'ing it to pay for her construction work.
I’m gonna add to this. I agree with everything you said. Good words to live by when dealing with contractors. But, I want to point out that, if you have financed the house or project in any way, other than paying cash with your own money, then the lender will force you to pay, regardless if the job has been made right or not. Ask me how I know!

I’ll give you a small synopsis. Was building a new place a few years ago. 90% of the job was fantastic but I did have issue with some of the contractors subs. One of them, a roofer and the other was a few people but involved the floors. First we will start with the roofer. Dude worked out a price and contract with said contractor and found out he was going to lose his ass or was losing his ass because he failed to look over all the stuff the contractor was showing him, aKA size of place, roofline, pitch and so on. So he came out and did the job and kept cutting corners and I kept pointing it out to the contractor who kept pointing things out to him and kept forcing the guy to come back. And I would have gladly paid the guy more money but I didn’t find all this out until hindsight. I thought the dude was just being a shitty dude but that was not the case. On the other hand, his failure to read docs properly shouldn’t have been on me. Anyways that actually gets all worked out in the end but not till after I hold this guys money and some flooring guys money.

Now on to the flooring. When I was building this place it basically monsooned, in the winter like every day. One of the wettest winters I remember. Let’s just say on the flooring that the hardwoods were not installed properly and the subfloor beneath them got so warped/buckled that there is really bad swelling in parts that they then laid hardwood on top of, without nailing or anything of the sort. Basically a floating hardwood floor on top of a buckled subfloor. You can imagine the problems here. Still problematic to this day.

Anyways to make a long story short, I withheld payment for these guys because they failed to make things right in my eyes and so did the contractor. I was like you know what it’s my money in the end and I’m not happy with the job. So I told my wife to withhold the checks. I don’t know how many weeks go by and the contractor calls me telling me I need to pay because he has had to pay for all this crap out of his own pocket and blah blah. Well, that was his problem in my eyes, not mine. I wouldn’t have paid them till they made the job right. Anyways I still don’t pay and after a little while we try to start working things out but then I get a call from my financial backers lawyers explaining to me that the contractors lawyers called them and explained the problem and they were explaining the problem to me and more or less told me that I had to pay and if I wouldn’t that they would take me to court and force me to pay.

In the meantime, they would go ahead and pay said contractor on my behalf until we worked this out. I was like wait a second, you are telling me that they can basically come in here and not do the job they were paid to do to my satisfaction since it is my money that I will be having to pay back and my house I have to live with for an x number of years? They basically said yes! Talk about some crooked shit! So you can’t even withhold money as leverage to force people to do the right thing unless you are straight up financing this all out of your pocket. I think that’s super fucked up! In the end, I just paid as I didn’t want to burn all my money up in courts fighting one of the largest financial institutions in the country. But here I am stuck with some semblance of shitty work. And pulling all the floors to replace them was not an option. I’ll leave it at that. The building industry seems to me to be one of the most crooked unchecked industries out there. I’m not saying all contractors are bad by any means but you can certainly see why they get a bad rep. Oh and after all this went down, the contractor did come to me and apologize saying that he was not able to use all of his regular trusted people because they were all on other jobs. Boy did that make me feel better.

Last edited:

Some years ago our club considered installing chainlink fencing to block the front of our range (on an AF base). Range master contacts a local fence company with a detailed diagram including measurements, but did not give a location. Bid was 5k. Because it was over 3k, it was turned over to base contracting who sent it to three different companies. Lowest bid was 17k...from the company that originally bid 5k.

• Angry
Reactions: NoDopes
Some years ago our club considered installing chainlink fencing to block the front of our range (on an AF base). Range master contacts a local fence company with a detailed diagram including measurements, but did not give a location. Bid was 5k. Because it was over 3k, it was turned over to base contracting who sent it to three different companies. Lowest bid was 17k...from the company that originally bid 5k.
Having done jobs for government entities, there is a reason why people charge them 3x more and it’s not just being greedy.

dealing with gov entities are a pain in the fucking ass at every step. Some dingle berry with a clipboard, hard hat, hi vis vests, and a safety glasses constantly sticking his nose into shit, and then the giant suitcase full of paperwork it takes to get your money is ridiculous. Doing work for a gov entity makes you feel like a circus animal.

Having done jobs for government entities, there is a reason why people charge them 3x more and it’s not just being greedy.

dealing with gov entities are a pain in the fucking ass at every step. Some dingle berry with a clipboard, hard hat, hi vis vests, and a safety glasses constantly sticking his nose into shit, and then the giant suitcase full of paperwork it takes to get your money is ridiculous. Doing work for a gov entity makes you feel like a circus animal.

Can't count the number of government contracts I won. Got most because my competitors padded the estimate. Once I had the contract, legitimate increases were never a problem. Always made money. Getting paid was slower than the average civilian company, but always got paid. The worst customers were national companies. Expected special rates, drop everything and fix me now treatment and never paid an invoice before it reached 90 days.

Contractor for GSA, as well. Made money.

Reactions: Bender

Agreed. From my experience doing anything for the gov is a pain in the ass! GSA anyone lol?

I’m gonna add to this. I agree with everything you said. Good words to live by when dealing with contractors. But, I want to point out that, if you have financed the house or project in any way, other than paying cash with your own money, then the lender will force you to pay, regardless if the job has been made right or not. Ask me how I know!

I’ll give you a small synopsis. Was building a new place a few years ago. 90% of the job was fantastic but I did have issue with some of the contractors subs. One of them, a roofer and the other was a few people but involved the floors. First we will start with the roofer. Dude worked out a price and contract with said contractor and found out he was going to lose his ass or was losing his ass because he failed to look over all the stuff the contractor was showing him, aKA size of place, roofline, pitch and so on. So he came out and did the job and kept cutting corners and I kept pointing it out to the contractor who kept pointing things out to him and kept forcing the guy to come back. And I would have gladly paid the guy more money but I didn’t find all this out until hindsight. I thought the dude was just being a shitty dude but that was not the case. On the other hand, his failure to read docs properly shouldn’t have been on me. Anyways that actually gets all worked out in the end but not till after I hold this guys money and some flooring guys money.

Now on to the flooring. When I was building this place it basically monsooned, in the winter like every day. One of the wettest winters I remember. Let’s just say on the flooring that the hardwoods were not installed properly and the subfloor beneath them got so warped/buckled that there is really bad swelling in parts that they then laid hardwood on top of, without nailing or anything of the sort. Basically a floating hardwood floor on top of a buckled subfloor. You can imagine the problems here. Still problematic to this day.

Anyways to make a long story short, I withheld payment for these guys because they failed to make things right in my eyes and so did the contractor. I was like you know what it’s my money in the end and I’m not happy with the job. So I told my wife to withhold the checks. I don’t know how many weeks go by and the contractor calls me telling me I need to pay because he has had to pay for all this crap out of his own pocket and blah blah. Well, that was his problem in my eyes, not mine. I wouldn’t have paid them till they made the job right. Anyways I still don’t pay and after a little while we try to start working things out but then I get a call from my financial backers lawyers explaining to me that the contractors lawyers called them and explained the problem and they were explaining the problem to me and more or less told me that I had to pay and if I wouldn’t that they would take me to court and force me to pay.

In the meantime, they would go ahead and pay said contractor on my behalf until we worked this out. I was like wait a second, you are telling me that they can basically come in here and not do the job they were paid to do to my satisfaction since it is my money that I will be having to pay back and my house I have to live with for an x number of years? They basically said yes! Talk about some crooked shit! So you can’t even withhold money as leverage to force people to do the right thing unless you are straight up financing this all out of your pocket. I think that’s super fucked up! In the end, I just paid as I didn’t want to burn all my money up in courts fighting one of the largest financial institutions in the country. But here I am stuck with some semblance of shitty work. And pulling all the floors to replace them was not an option. I’ll leave it at that. The building industry seems to me to be one of the most crooked unchecked industries out there. I’m not saying all contractors are bad by any means but you can certainly see why they get a bad rep. Oh and after all this went down, the contractor did come to me and apologize saying that he was not able to use all of his regular trusted people because they were all on other jobs. Boy did that make me feel better.
Next time, when they tell you their going to take you to court tell them "gladly."

More often than not they'll change their tune rather quickly. He who holds the cash holds the cards. If the contractor sued you, it'd cost him a small fortune in legal fees. It's way easier and more cost effective to fix the problem when it comes to engineered hardwoods....

My old office building was sold to a new landlord that rewrote my lease to put me on the hook for the 25 y/o hvac and raised my rent 3x my existing contract. I told him to piss up a rope and leased an office two doors down. Then he comes back and says my lease automatically renewed per the original contract and I was on the hook for two years worth of rent. This is a national commercial real estate holding company. I had my attorney send a strongly worded letter. They went down to six months, then four, three, a flat $1000 etc. Every time I basically told them to forcibly insert a pine cone into their asses. They wound up dropping it, signing a release forfeiting their right to litigate in the future and I ran them out of town after letting the other tenants know what they pulled. The building is still empty about two years later.

Most threats to pursue civil litigation are complete bs. Even if the litigator is sure to win. They probably would have made the guy fix the floors....

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Next time, when they tell you their going to take you to court tell them "gladly."

More often than not they'll change their tune rather quickly. He who holds the cash holds the cards. If the contractor sued you, it'd cost him a small fortune in legal fees. It's way easier and more cost effective to fix the problem when it comes to engineered hardwoods....

My old office building was sold to a new landlord that rewrote my lease to put me on the hook for the 25 y/o hvac and raised my rent 3x my existing contract. I told him to piss up a rope and leased an office two doors down. Then he comes back and says my lease automatically renewed per the original contract and I was on the hook for two years worth of rent. This is a national commercial real estate holding company. I had my attorney send a strongly worded letter. They went down to six months, then four, three, a flat $1000 etc. Every time I basically told them to forcibly insert a pine cone into their asses. They wound up dropping it, signing a release forfeiting their right to litigate in the future and I ran them out of town after letting the other tenants know what they pulled. The building is still empty about two years later.

Most threats to pursue civil litigation are complete bs. Even if the litigator is sure to win. They probably would have made the guy fix the floors....
Well, this wasn’t engineered wood, but I see your point. I might play hardball next time but I hope I don’t have to!

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I'll just say this and you can do with it what you want. If you jump into waters in a start up construction business thinking the only predators are shady contractors and consumer homeowners and builders are the honest victims that you can trust, you're going to be eaten alive, fast, maybe not by the first customer (I did my first falling water water feature in the 80's and paid for everything out of my own pocket until the owner said this is bullshit, I'm going to go get you some money) but by the third or fourth.

The poor innocent customers, many of them, probably most of them, make their money to able to afford luxury items like Jaguars in their circular driveway and multi million dollar mansions with luxury pools by ripping people off or at least profiting off the weak, dumb or honest.

And some of them that can afford to pay will instead rip-off an honest, hardworking contractor just because he would feel like a failure, a sheep instead of a wolf, if he didn't rip them off while holding lavish drunken parties in a pool he won't pay for.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I'll just say this and you can do with it what you want. If you jump into waters in a start up construction business thinking the only predators are shady contractors and consumer homeowners and builders are the honest victims that you can trust, you're going to be eaten alive, fast, maybe not by the first customer (I did my first falling water water feature in the 80's and paid for everything out of my own pocket until the owner said this is bullshit, I'm going to go get you some money) but by the third or fourth.

The poor innocent customers, many of them, probably most of them, make their money to able to afford luxury items like Jaguars in their circular driveway and multi million dollar mansions with luxury pools by ripping people off or at least profiting off the weak, dumb or honest.

And some of them that can afford to pay will instead rip-off an honest, hardworking contractor just because he would feel like a failure, a sheep instead of a wolf, if he didn't rip them off while holding lavish drunken parties in a pool he won't pay for.
I can confirm that all homeowners aren't innocent victims being ripped off. Like I said in a previous post I own a plumbing and gas company been in business for about 20yrs. Here are a few tactics I have seen many owners try to pull over the years

"Oh and since you are here would you mind looking at (insert any number of things) that had nothing to do with the original agreed upon work requested.

Agree on a price then after the job is complete they want to tell you......

"hey I talked to so and so they got a friend that said he would have done this for half of what you are trying to charge me"

I say well then why didn't you get this friend to do the job?

Answer is usually........

"oh he doesn't have a license and can't pull permits he does it on the side"

I say to them "so you want me to compete and matches prices for some guy doing it on the side who has no license, no business insurance and can't pull permits to do the job in the first place and most certainly wouldn't stand behind their work if something was to happen"

Usually after I word it like that they realize how foolish they are and write the check.

I can confirm that all homeowners aren't innocent victims being ripped off. Like I said in a previous post I own a plumbing and gas company been in business for about 20yrs. Here are a few tactics I have seen many owners try to pull over the years

"Oh and since you are here would you mind looking at (insert any number of things) that had nothing to do with the original agreed upon work requested.

Agree on a price then after the job is complete they want to tell you......

"hey I talked to so and so they got a friend that said he would have done this for half of what you are trying to charge me"

I say well then why didn't you get this friend to do the job?

Answer is usually........

"oh he doesn't have a license and can't pull permits he does it on the side"

I say to them "so you want me to compete and matches prices for some guy doing it on the side who has no license, no business insurance and can't pull permits to do the job in the first place and most certainly wouldn't stand behind their work if something was to happen"

Usually after I word it like that they realize how foolish they are and write the check.
You're too kind. It's not that many realize how foolish they are is that they couldn't beat you down on the price and not pay you what they owed you. They were intending on trying when they hired you.

They wouldn't have used the 'friend', if he even really existed, for the all the reasons you gave. Plus, unlike friends, professional tradesmen are disposable.

My lawyer, who was the customer in the 80's I did the first falling water pool for before he was my lawyer, became a mentor, a good friend and my attorney. He said you're a gifted designer but you don't know fuck all about business or people. He then wrote me a bullet proof contract with no escape route for thieving scumbag customers. But it still was no guarantee I wouldn't get stiffed at some point.

He is a top Super Lawyer specializing in Construction Contract Law in Texas and said he even still gets stiffed on legal fees sometimes. He said the only way not to to get ripped off is don't leave a whole draw on the table hoping the customer is honest and likes what you did and decides to pay you. Don't leave anything on the table and if I do, make it such a small amount it doesn't ruin you or pad the contract price that amount.

He said if the customer expects you to trust them to hold your money, then they can trust you with theirs.

Last edited:
I love it when you finish the job and write the bill. Some will then say... Oh, one more thing or they write the check and then you get the... Oh, one more thing. We call them "Columbo's" after the TV show.
I love the look on their face when you start to hand them their check and ask if they'd like to write another when I get finished or do they want to write two checks.

Swimming pool buliding is a tough game. my draws were always 40/40/18/2. Usually by the end of the build the homeowner is pissed for a number of reasons and will decide to keep that last 2%. I was only too happy for them to "stick iT to me. Now they broke the contract and all warranty are null and void. Plus sure as shit they would call months later because something wasn't working right and they want someone to come out and look at it, Sure thing, im' just gonna need that last 2% first and ill come out to see what the problem is. If they go by an entire year and didn't use me to close their pool i will not go back out there because i don't know who closed my work and thus will no longer be responsible because they chose to go a craigslister or one poler to take care of the pool i built. All spelled out in black and white.
I also learned the longer you leave money out there the harder it becomes to collect. a month or two after the new pool owners have been using the pool they realize, its no longer magical and banging their old lady in the pool ls not like they watched in porn ........it is terrible btw lol and now they are staring the barrel of a rather financial obligation and now they get pissed..........LOl
as for the lady, she was not complaining about the workmanship, she stated she was waiting to see if she liked it or not. There is no clause for that. The contractor should learn by this and not so much money on the table. Especially in the world we live in today. For most a verbal agreement and handshake don't mean shit no more. Especiallity when everyones a victim today.

Swimming pool buliding is a tough game. my draws were always 40/40/18/2. Usually by the end of the build the homeowner is pissed for a number of reasons and will decide to keep that last 2%. I was only too happy for them to "stick iT to me. Now they broke the contract and all warranty are null and void. Plus sure as shit they would call months later because something wasn't working right and they want someone to come out and look at it, Sure thing, im' just gonna need that last 2% first and ill come out to see what the problem is. If they go by an entire year and didn't use me to close their pool i will not go back out there because i don't know who closed my work and thus will no longer be responsible because they chose to go a craigslister or one poler to take care of the pool i built. All spelled out in black and white.
I also learned the longer you leave money out there the harder it becomes to collect. a month or two after the new pool owners have been using the pool they realize, its no longer magical and banging their old lady in the pool ls not like they watched in porn ........it is terrible btw lol and now they are staring the barrel of a rather financial obligation and now they get pissed..........LOl
as for the lady, she was not complaining about the workmanship, she stated she was waiting to see if she liked it or not. There is no clause for that. The contractor should learn by this and not so much money on the table. Especially in the world we live in today. For most a verbal agreement and handshake don't mean shit no more. Especiallity when everyones a victim today.
I gave you a thumbs up because it doesn't have a 'two thumbs up' button.

I had one lady, a horse woman, not bad looking but a bad alcoholic and methhead that came off a ranch and was even a Trump supporter, rip me for $10k, 10% of the total pool cost I left on the end.

She would sleep or was passed out during the daytime while we built her pool and was only active at night. I would have to water her horses sometimes because they were out of water.

One night around midnight I got a series of texts, coming in very fast and thought it was my girlfriend and there was an emergency. I opened them and there was some strange anomaly on the screen and I had to rub my eyes awake and turn the phone sideways and back up to figure out what I was looking at. It was pics of my drunken pool customer's vagine with her fingers all up in it. :D

I thought 'Nice try lady. But I've never known of a piece of ass worth $10K.'

LOL, we could literally talk for weeks on end about the trials and tribulations of the pool world. Its extremely lucrative but you could also be out of business with one or two bad jobs. And lets not even get started on trying to find and retain good people let alone qualified pool people that arent on drugs, have valid licesnes, child support drama,theives, trying to set up their own company while working for yours, training your future compettion. lol. Yes the pool business is truly one of the worst ways to try and make it today. lol, its like a roach motel, once you get into the pool business there is no getting out....ever. LOL

LOL, we could literally talk for weeks on end about the trials and tribulations of the pool world. Its extremely lucrative but you could also be out of business with one or two bad jobs. And lets not even get started on trying to find and retain good people let alone qualified pool people that arent on drugs, have valid licesnes, child support drama,theives, trying to set up their own company while working for yours, training your future compettion. lol. Yes the pool business is truly one of the worst ways to try and make it today. lol, its like a roach motel, once you get into the pool business there is no getting out....ever. LOL
It's almost impossible to try and get decent help today. As the tired saying goes 'No one wants to work.'

And you're spot on about help stealing from you, bringing their daily drama to work every day and using your work images to advertise opening their own business.

I told one of my former helpers I could write a Mexican soap opera based on his daily drama and even have Eric Estrada star as him. It would be based on the underground sub-culture of Dripping Springs, TX. of wives cheating and wanting more money, Sanchos, knocked up girlfriends, knocked up girlfriend's husbands looking for them, drunken fistfights over their weekend during their drunken cookouts. Every Monday, if they even showed up and weren't in jail, it was hungover and with black eyes.

I could never walk a job and have fly by night pool company finish one of my pools so I'm stuck with a shitty customer to the end. The other company would love nothing more than to advertise my 95% finished pool on their website

Reactions: srtsam
I work in an affluent area. At my old business, mechanical and electrical yacht repair, my wealthiest customer was my best. Another wealthy customer, who inherited his money did not earn it, was one of the worst. Lawyers were usually pretty good about paying, but one was not. Crazy as it sounds, I rarely used a signed work order, it was all done by trust and honesty.

One of the few times I used a signed work order, I got burned. The customer, a podiatrist in San Francisco, stole my copy of the work order off my desk so I could not sue him.

I work in an affluent area. At my old business, mechanical and electrical yacht repair, my wealthiest customer was my best. Another wealthy customer, who inherited his money did not earn it, was one of the worst. Lawyers were usually pretty good about paying, but one was not. Crazy as it sounds, I rarely used a signed work order, it was all done by trust and honesty.

One of the few times I used a signed work order, I got burned. The customer, a podiatrist in San Francisco, stole my copy of the work order off my desk so I could not sue him.
Funny how that works. Some of my wealthiest customers became best friends from the pools I built for them and treated me as an equal, inviting me to their weddings, etc. One did a photo shoot showing me working to put on his family's website where he described me as an artist and my backhoe was my brush.

It's the wannabe mega rich that, as hard as you're working to go beyond the whats expected and do them a good job, they're inside working that hard trying to figure a way to rip you off. I treat them like the no class trash they are.

t's almost impossible to try and get decent help today. As the tired saying goes 'No one wants to work.'
This is the main reason I am downsizing and trying to get out of new construction. I just can't find the help to rough-in these 7+ bathroom high end custom homes anymore. I bought a Ford Transit 350 with the high roof and I have been transiting to mostly service, repair, smaller kitchen and bath renovations. I don't have all the headache of new construction don't have to wait as long for draws, mostly don't have to pull permits for these smaller jobs. I wish I had done it 20 yrs ago.

My draws on new construction usually go like this.......

New contractor 10% to start, 70% after rough, remaining 30% after set-out. Unless the house is built on a slab then I would usually get a slab draw.

Running sewer and water was a separate charge from the main house. I charged per foot (50ft minimum) from house to sewer tap/water meter.

Overall I have worked with some pretty good GCs and for the most part haven't taken to big a bath.

From the link and site pictures, this now seems to make a bit more sense. You know, for those of us with actual real world decision making prowess who aren't actual morons.

I'm guessing it went something like this:

Instead of fixing his shit fuck job -or- because he somehow felt insulted because he truly believed this was top tier work (LOL) the contractor RAAAAAGgGGGGGGGEEEEEDDDDD in chick's bathroom while playing Harvestor of Sorrows in his head the entire time

:beer-nose:

I was a small remodeling contractor for over 10 years. Did quite a few baths and lots of tile work. We did EVERYTHING in house from demo to finish paint. I can comfortably say if those pics were of the work he installed, he was getting a head start on what was coming anyway.

If the tile was that bad there's an excellent chance the prep and waterproofing in that shower wouldn't have lasted more than 2 uses. It's obvious he didn't know what he was doing, or hired those who didn't either.

You can't "cheat" tile work and just like painting a car, 90% of the work is in the preparation.

This is the main reason I am downsizing and trying to get out of new construction. I just can't find the help to rough-in these 7+ bathroom high end custom homes anymore. I bought a Ford Transit 350 with the high roof and I have been transiting to mostly service, repair, smaller kitchen and bath renovations. I don't have all the headache of new construction don't have to wait as long for draws, mostly don't have to pull permits for these smaller jobs. I wish I had done it 20 yrs ago.

My draws on new construction usually go like this.......

New contractor 10% to start, 70% after rough, remaining 30% after set-out. Unless the house is built on a slab then I would usually get a slab draw.

Running sewer and water was a separate charge from the main house. I charged per foot (50ft minimum) from house to sewer tap/water meter.

Overall I have worked with some pretty good GCs and for the most part haven't taken to big a bath.

My brother was in construction until he retired at 55. He has a 25-30 employee cleaning business on the side that he kept going (banks, medical offices, etc.) He was visiting one of his banking customers and the guy asked, "Hey, you were in construction, right?" My brother tells him 30 years so he hires him to do draw inspections.

He told me first time he arrives on site, if the contractor is there they usually approach him like WTH are you doing here. Once introductions are made they are best friends. He said you learn real quick which ones require close supervision.

My brother was in construction until he retired at 55. He has a 25-30 employee cleaning business on the side that he kept going (banks, medical offices, etc.) He was visiting one of his banking customers and the guy asked, "Hey, you were in construction, right?" My brother tells him 30 years so he hires him to do draw inspections.

He told me first time he arrives on site, if the contractor is there they usually approach him like WTH are you doing here. Once introductions are made they are best friends. He said you learn real quick which ones require close supervision.
Ha Ha I have had contractors call me the day before "Hey I need you to get all the faucets installed tomorrow they don't even have to be working or hooked up underneath I just need them in place so the guy from the bank can take pictures...LOL

Reactions: EddieNFL
I had a Karen pool customer go full Karen on me yesterday evening as I was helping my electrician hook up the equipment. And BTW, her name really is Karen.

She was over us on a second story deck eavesdropping on our conversation which was about he needed a 5th relay for the pool lights.

First she went off on her husband who was down there with us and then she started screaming at me. I was ready for it because I figured as soon as we got water in the pool and it was completed, instead of being happy and grateful someone built them a potential award winning pool way too good for them, the lying unappreciative recovering alcoholic bi-polar psychopath trash would show her true colors.

I asked "Are you speaking to me?"
Karen- "YES, I'M SPEAKING TO YOU! ANYTIME I ASK YOU A QUESTION YOU ACT LIKE YOURE MAD! IM THE ONE SIGNING THE CHECKS!

She talks to me, my crew and subs like dirt, after I gave a huge discount on the pool. She screamed at the Gunite crew to not park on the property that THEY CAN PARK IN THE STREET! which meant adding another 100' of hose to an already too long of a pump run. Then the cunt texted and emailed me while I was driving home "Its not my responsibility to supervise your guys, Sir!"

Anyway, I unloaded on her in front of her husband. "I knocked half off this pool so you could afford it, the cheapest I've ever done a pool, and in twenty two years of building pools I've never been talked to this way or had such an unappreciative, disrespectful customer. Who do you think you are? Who taught you your manners?"

Then she started screaming at her husband again and started crying. That was kind of a turn-on. :D

"I knocked half off this pool so you could afford it, the cheapest I've ever done a pool, and in twenty two years of building pools I've never been talked to this way or had such an unappreciative, disrespectful customer. Who do you think you are? Who taught you your manners?"

Then she started screaming at her husband again and started crying. That was kind of a turn-on. :D

No good deed goes unpunished.

I attended a business seminar back in the 2000s covering customer service. I recall just three tidbits: 1) The more concessions you make, the more a customer expects. 2) The customer is seldom right. 3) Never be afraid to fire a customer.

This has been WAY overthought. Easy answer to the "contractor's" problem is very simple.
It's a recall on the backer board that requires him to remove all the tile so he can replace the backer board.

This has been WAY overthought. Easy answer to the "contractor's" problem is very simple.
It's a recall on the backer board that requires him to remove all the tile so he can replace the backer board.
Except for the fact he's on video screaming "Fuck you.....this is what you get!!!!!! Wharrrggaarrbbbllll arrrgghhhh!!!!!

Except for the fact he's on video screaming "Fuck you.....this is what you get!!!!!! Wharrrggaarrbbbllll arrrgghhhh!!!!!
Yup. Even though all contractors will deal with thieves and the mentally-ill if they're in business long enough, he screwed up.

I repo'd a car with a rough terrain forklift, the intention was to send a message...and it worked.

I finished the pool for Karen yesterday and turned the LED lights and equipment on.

Earlier I had brought my Nifty Nabbers, the trash pickers on a stick, and rake to pick up water and Gator Aide bottles around the job site after Karen sent me a nasty email telling me it wasn't their responsibility to clean up after my men.

I took the grabbers and rake and laid them down by my backhoe while I talked to Karen's husband as I let my backhoe warm up. I got on my backhoe and went down the hill and forgot the rake and grabbers where I laid them. When I went back to get them they were gone. I asked the husband if he'd seen them and he said no but he'd keep and eye out for them.

A few day later I was walking by the house and saw my rake leaning alongside the rest of his tools. I didn't see my grabbers. I used my rake at the pool site and a couple of days ago loaded it with my other tools to bring home and saw my square point shovel that was with my tools was now missing. My guys had already left the pool days earlier and the only remaining people around the pool was the husband and my electrician and I know he didn't take my shovel because I helped him carry his equipment back up to his van.

Karen's cuck husband was a fucking thief. I suspected it after I recovered my rake and my grabbers just disappeared, which I'm sure are inside the house, and the fucker got pissed because I recovered my rake so he stole my shovel to make up for it. Hardcore thieves are like that. Your property they steal from you is their property.

A bit melodramatic.

Now he has a Zero chance of being paid. And this little temper tantrum may cost him even more.

Wonder how many days after the project was completed and what led him to believe this was the best recourse.