• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Copycat load of Hornady .223 REM 75gr. BTHP Match

ALASKAPREDATOR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2008
STERLING ALASKA
Bought a few boxes of these for $12.95 from CMP last fall and my stash is rapidly dwindling with my recent purchase of a Savage 12 BVSS 26" barreled .223 Rem. This rifle really likes them, shooting 1/2 MOA regularly. I tried some of my homegrown, but load development can be hit and miss and so far more miss (pun intended). Velocity is 2790. I guess I could go to my load books and backtrack with that # and bullet weight.
Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: Copycat load of Hornady .223 REM 75gr. BTHP Match

I have good luck with 24 to 24.5gr of RL15 at 2.260 OAL using Rem 7 1/2 primers with both 75 and 77gr bullets, all shoot sub moa out of my AR15.

Re: Copycat load of Hornady .223 REM 75gr. BTHP Match

I have tried two different powders with that bullet. Varget and RL15. Both of them at near max listed charge give outstanding results. I use Winchester brass and CCI primers. If I do my part they will group .5 MOA out of my 16" heavy barrel AR.

I've never found a need to try more powders with this bullet.