• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique my 223 build

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    What should I change ?

Terminus Apollo Lite action
    Bartlien 16” carbon fiber with mod400bb steel from Straight Jacket, threaded 5/8-24 so I can use a direct thread Gemtech ti Samdstorm or a tbac on a brake
    Huber 2 stage
    KRG Bravo

Or if someone has something similar ^ for sale lmk

Last edited:
    What twist rate and what intended projectiles. Not a critique so much as curiosity

You might consider going with a 1:7 twist with a 223 Wylde chamber so you can shoot both .223 and 5.56. I have had really good performance on both projectiles from 62, 75, and 77 grains. The 5.56 shoots much faster FPS, but otherwise both are very accurate.

Sounds like a fun setup.

I like my Bravo stock but it's probably not the lightest offering for walking around.

Bartlein makes good stuff. Unless Straight Jacket has the barrel on the shelf, I would be wary of their quoted leadtimes.

Reactions: deersniper
    1/8 cause I don’t reload.

Mostly 60gr vmaxs or 77tmks

Maybe some 55fmjs or 53elds
    1:7 RH and shoot heavier grain projectiles, assuming you are looking for the best long range accuracy possible (within the limits of the caliber/platform). I hope this can help, and best of success on your build. Please do leave a pic once you’re all done, I know I would love to see it!

~S

Sounds sweet.
    My only thought is not sure I’d spend $ for carbon if it’s only 16” long. You don’t get near the weight savings with that short a barrel and the carbon is just one more step that might impart stress in the barrel.

1:7 RH and shoot heavier grain projectiles, assuming you are looking for the best long range accuracy possible (within the limits of the caliber/platform). I hope this can help, and best of success on your build. Please do leave a pic once you’re all done, I know I would love to see it!

~S
    …and you don’t have to take my word on it. Take a look at companies like LWRC, and see what they are building, and that’s successfully being used, in military competition shooting teams. 1:7 RH is the way to go!

…and you don’t have to take my word on it. Take a look at companies like LWRC, and see what they are building, and that’s successfully being used, in military competition shooting teams. 1:7 RH is the way to go!
    Again, I hope my little piece of info/perspective helps with your build. I really would love to read/see what your final product looks like, if you’re able to share.

The last thing I meant to say, is I believe from seeing your posts, and the questions posed by you, you ARE going to have an amazing build, end of story, lol, no matter what the final distillations are, of all of the esoteric intricacies we can all sometimes find ourselves getting into.

As others have said, knowing WHY you want a particular build, and WHAT said build is expected to be used for (being mission & purpose driven), in addition to real-time access and availability of parts and funds will be, and will all play into, creating the MOST PERFECT build FOR YOU!

And in the end, that’s what is truly most important my man, having a weapon system you are both proud of, in respect to overall construction and performance, and able to place effective rounds on target, and down range when it matters most, be it at a competition, to impress your buddies on a range-day, or in defense of yourself and/or others, in that most important time of need.

All my best, be safe out there bro!

~S

I think the BB would be better spent in a barrel burner. Let us know how you like CF BB, bound to be a winner. Faster TR would give you more options. Enjoy.

I think the BB would be better spent in a barrel burner. Let us know how you like CF BB, bound to be a winner. Faster TR would give you more options. Enjoy.
    I was told bb would be 9 months and proof 7 twist were in stock. So proof it is.

I’d lose the bravo and use an EH-4 (#1), MCS-CS, or MCS-T from Manners or an A1-3 (#1), HTG, or Sako Varmint from McMillan.

Every component you’ve selected follows your theme, the stock is a bit out of place. Also, I would use a blind mag or bdl bottom metal. But that’s just my opinion

I’d lose the bravo and use an EH-4 (#1), MCS-CS, or MCS-T from Manners or an A1-3 (#1), HTG, or Sako Varmint from McMillan.

Every component you’ve selected follows your theme, the stock is a bit out of place. Also, I would use a blind mag or bdl bottom metal. But that’s just my opinion

I read that the weight savings isn’t much for the manners. And the bravo fits me very very well.

If I had money and wanted to wait 8 months this looks awesome.

27EFCB04-AF83-4069-9629-FB99C6ACABE3.png

BCC72A39-053F-4499-9074-B0A2B5253320.png

^ that arca rail tho.

Oh and I want a nv rail too. Soo $$$$$$$$$ to add to manners

Yes I’m going to throw a 2-3 pound clip on and 1-2 pound rangefinder on there at times. Lol

I read that the weight savings isn’t much for the manners. And the bravo fits me very very well.

If I had money and wanted to wait 8 months this looks awesome.

View attachment 7624612

View attachment 7624613
    ^ that arca rail tho.

Oh and I want a nv rail too. Soo $$$$$$$$$ to add to manners

Yes I’m going to throw a 2-3 pound clip on and 1-2 pound rangefinder on there at times. Lol
    Or you could always rock one of MDT XRS chassis with the enclosed forend for NV capability ;)

Just a thought,
    Josh

I keep contemplating a build like this, but throw it in an AIAX folder chassis. Light and compact, and would be awesome with a clipon. But then I remember my SPR fills the same role and is a laser, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Will be interested to see what you end up going with for your build.

Will

It sounds like you got a good setup. If I was to critic it, I would say it needs more Cow Bell!
    Good luck! , and good shooting!

I keep contemplating a build like this, but throw it in an AIAX folder chassis. Light and compact, and would be awesome with a clipon. But then I remember my SPR fills the same role and is a laser, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. Will be interested to see what you end up going with for your build.

Will

Lol. AIAX and light and compact don’t belong in the same sentence.

• Haha
    Reactions: SRPowah
    Here’s some things that pushed me to build this.

*Long Boi Pic*
    Reasonably light. But lonnnnggg. And don’t need 65 for a lot of stuff

*Short Pig Pic*
    Heavy AF. But short.
    I run into this thought process and dilemma way too often. I love my DT's size, but don't always love the weight compared to our 7lbs truck guns.

The question I have that I haven't seen asked or answered is: What is your target weight? If you don't have one, what is the ideal weight in your mind?

10 lbs would be the sweet spot for me between average use carrying vs stability/stringing. With an 18" Bartlein Carbon #13, you would save about 12oz compared to a steel #13. The larger the contour, the more weight can be saved. The thinner the contour, the more money you are burning. The CFW 18" #13 will be my route when I do finally break down and decide to do a practical "ultra-lite" setup, as even 8oz saved is 8oz of less pain. I doubt you will miss those 4-6 oz of your steel barrel since you haven't stated it needs to be an ultra-light for mountain hiking.

Last edited:
    The question I have that I haven't seen asked or answered is: What is your target weight? If you don't have one, what is the ideal weight in your mind?
    Something as “light” as the krg long barreled 65 pictured above. Lighter would be better.but I’m bit mountain goat hunting with it.

. With an 18" Bartlein Carbon #13, you would save about 12oz compared to a steel #13. Th
    For a 16”? You sure. ? Terminus and ts customs both said for 16” , the weight savings would be minimal for cf v steel

Proof cf is lighter than Bartlien fwiw

I run into this thought process and dilemma way too often. I love my DT's size, but don't always love the weight compared to our 7lbs truck guns.

10 lbs would be the sweet spot for me between average use carrying vs stability/stringing. With an 18" Bartlein Carbon #13, you would save about 12oz compared to a steel #13. The larger the contour, the more weight can be saved. The thinner the contour, the more money you are burning. The CFW 18" #13 will be my route when I do finally break down and decide to do a practical ultra-lite setup, as even 8oz saved is 8oz of less pain. I doubt you will miss those 4-6 oz of your steel barrel since you haven't stated it needs to be an ultra-light for mountain hiking.

Carbon is only worth it for barrels longer than 20-22". If your running a 18" carbon you might as well do a heavy or medium palma and flute it heavy... The fluted steel will prolly weigh less

Last edited:
    Lol. I hate to let you down but I nixed the cf barrel and went with a special contour TS customs has.
    If it’s anything like the other ts barrel I use it will be mind blowing accurate. But 4-6 oz heavier than cf
    What chamber is he doing? I’m tempted to send him my tikka 223 for a fresh tube..

For a 16”? You sure. ? Terminus and ts customs both said for 16” , the weight savings would be minimal for cf v steel

Proof cf is lighter than Bartlien fwiw
    For 18" and the numbers are for a Rem Varmint contour. The 16" would offer less weight savings in your situation, and dropping down to any lighter hunter contour would result in minimal savings. Although minimal tends to be subjective when you look at the AR people that splurge for titanium parts that save only an ounce here and there.

Carbon is only worth it for barrels longer than 20-22". If your running a 18" carbon you might as well do a heavy or medium palma and flute it heavy... The fluted steel wool prolly weigh less
    I would likely make a drive north to LRI before committing on lightweight dedicated build for that reason. Honestly might have them flute the barrel I have ordered through them for my AI. lol I admit I want carbon on a lightweight build just because I like carbon. If I was truly chasing ounces as efficiently as possible, I would rather drop contour completely and just slow my shooting rate.

For 18" and the numbers are for a Rem Varmint contour. The 16" would offer less weight savings in your situation, and dropping down to any lighter hunter contour would result in minimal savings. Although minimal tends to be subjective when you look at the AR people that splurge for titanium parts that save only an ounce here and there.

I would likely make a drive north to LRI before committing on lightweight dedicated build for that reason. Honestly might have them flute the barrel I have ordered through them for my AI. lol I admit I want carbon on a lightweight build just because I like carbon. If I was truly chasing ounces as efficiently as possible, I would rather drop contour completely and just slow my shooting rate.

Carbon barrels are overrated.....ymmv

Almost done.
    3E7615BB-D203-4F03-9102-2DBDE9F874C6.jpeg

It’s not done yet still need sling , arca PAINT etc

-
    -16” 223 wylde benchmark from ts customs
    -Ti Gemtech sandstorm. (May put the 338 ultra on just because ). Plan on running a Dominus when it clears
    -KRG Bravo
    -KRG NV rail
    -Terminus Apollo lite action
    -Mk13 surplus trigger
    -1.375” NF ultra lite rings plus Raptar mount
    -Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt
    -Harris 9-13. Will put a Atlas or TBAC on it probably. The Harris is skinnier folded though.

Last edited:
    You might consider going with a 1:7 twist with a 223 Wylde chamber so you can shoot both .223 and 5.56. I have had really good performance on both projectiles from 62, 75, and 77 grains. The 5.56 shoots much faster FPS, but otherwise both are very accurate.

My Benchmark from BMP is a .223 wylde chamber and is 7.5 twist. It likes the heavier loads a lot better but it's ok with the 55gr stuff. It's a freaking hammer with 75 grain stuff and 77grain stuff. It shoots under 1/2moa without hand loads with the heavier bullets. Not sure how good I can get it with hand loads, but I've got a bunch of 3 rounds per .2 gr increase ready to try out...

I'm happy with the twist I selected and I love me some BMP so that's what I'd recommend you do as well OP.

I’m reality a manners would only be saving you about a pound? KRG is roughly 2.9 pounds/46.4oz, and the LRH you talked about early on is 29-31 ounces. Might be tough to get any lighter without losing options?

Almost done.
    View attachment 7645513

It’s not done yet still need sling , arca PAINT etc

-
    -16” 223 wylde benchmark from ts customs
    -Ti Gemtech sandstorm. (May put the 338 ultra on just because ). Plan on running a Dominus when it clears
    -KRG Bravo
    -KRG NV rail
    -Terminus Apollo lite action
    -Mk13 surplus trigger
    -1.375” NF ultra lite rings plus Raptar mount
    -Nx8 2.5-20 mil xt
    -Harris 9-13. Will put a Atlas or TBAC on it probably. The Harris is skinnier folded though.
    Kickass build, more pics please post Krylon🔥