• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Thoughts on a new rifle build...

Railguner

1 legged hunting fool
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Centtral Valley, California
Hi guys, just wanted to get your ideas pro/con on a new hunting rifle build I'm working on. I will be using this in Cali the next few years. Unfortunately, starting next year it will be mandatory to shoot solid copper only. Was planning on using the Hornady 120gr GMX round, then when I go out of state I'll use ELD-X or something else. As for the scope, I'd be willing to go FFP but I'd like to stay with MOA. I really wanted the Mark 5HD but no MOA and no reticle I liked, so this is why I went the VX route. Love the ATACR but want to keep the weight down, but not give up too much on features. So here is what I'm thinking.....

6.5 Creedmoor
Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 34mm tube with Illuminated Impact 23 reticle
LonePeak Fusion Ti
McMillan Adjustable Game Warden Desert Carbon Ambush Camo or McMillan A-3 Adjustable in the same color
Proof Research 24" 1:8 Sendero Light or Sendero Barrel
5/8x24 2 port brake blended. undecided on which one....thinking Hawkins Precision
Patriot Brown on action and barrel - DLC Black on bolt and accessories
Trigger: I like 2 Stages. Would like to be adjustable...was thinking Bix and Andy Tac-sport or Timney CE. Hear great things about Huber..but not able to self adjust.
Hawkins Precision hinged floorplate
Badger or LRI accessory rail
Flushcups on both sides front and back

Would like to be able to Tripod mount...was thinking of inletting and flush mounting a M-Lok rail 2-3 inches after the front bottom metal screw and then attaching a RRS M-Lok adapter. I did something similar to get my RPR setup for my tripod.

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts or opinions...

Sectional Density of 6.5 projectiles is poor, especially in the lower grain weights. So for a hunting rifle thats a no go for me. Unless your shooting everything in the head. I personal don't understand the lightweight hunting rifle. Lighter rifles are less stable in field shooting conditions. Thats one reason tactical rifles weigh more, one reason. Secondly, weight is mitigated by a sling, better cardio, better gear selection, and personal body fat percentages. For a hunting rifle of that easy recoil I would forgo the break but defiantly have a thread protector for muzzle damage protection. I would further drop off all the rails and adapters that add weight. Unless your using NV and Thermal. I would also defiantly suck it up and switch to Mil. Its not a big deal I did it and I'm intellectually challenged. Why these suggestions, when I did hunt game with firearms, I hunted as I was taught. Hunting is not shooting. I was not then nor now a substance hunter. So spot and stalk only with a 30-30 lever. Latter in life when the area I lived in was not optimal for spot and stalk I built a 7mm-08 scoped. I personally believe that hunting is a short distance activity. If your so far off that sight, sound, and smell is not an issue, your shooting not hunting. Just my thought, I wish you the best in your build. Whatever you choose will be great because in the in your hunting!

Reactions: gatorbait308
Team POI = Great news...I was leaning towards CE. I have a Timney in my RPR and really like it. If the CE is better, it will make my day.

OLD308 - I hear you on the SD. The downside of using solid copper is they always use bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum to get the velocity up to aid expansion..the downside is lighter bullet looses SD. I hate that California has gone this direction. Maybe I'll just use a bigger caliber rifle for Cali and dedicate this gun as a " out of state" gun.

As for the weight, I was expecting 9-10.5 lbs....hoping to hit 10 even. The front rail would be short, only for Atlas bipod attachment. Even the Tripod rail would be very short. I'm guessing 4 oz for both with screws. The tripod would also be great for my wife. She has been wanting to blind hunt for whitetail and pigs. using the tripod would take the weight out of her hands and make gun manipulation easy for her.

Since I bow hunt, pistol and muzzleloader I undertand your view on getting close. Be a hunter...not a shooter. My idea changed when hunting with my dad this year. Dad is 91 and was drawn for Antelope this year. Since he had a cataract in his right eye and a pacemaker in his left chest we had to adjust our technique to fit his abilities. Setting up my RPR to shot off a tripod we worked out a good system for him. He ended up taking a goat at 671 yards! 1 shot and done. We just couldn't close the distance on this guy, he kept a 500-600 yd buffer at all times. My RPR with a Nightforce ATACR worked excellent! I bought that gun just to practice and learn to be a better shooter, wanting to transition that to the field. I don't look for long shots, however I do want to be accomplished enough to take a longer shot if the situation lends itself to it. I enjoyed hunting with my dad so much I decided that I would build a gun to reach out a tad further than I typically do.

Again, thank you so much for you thoughts and ideas!

You will be fine with the creedmoor in CA. Ive been hunting with a 14.5 in Grendel for years and have killed pigs,bear and deer.
Ive switched to a shorty fix in creedmoor and use the honady gmx at distance with no issues

6.5 Creedmoor will be plenty for the game in CA. Heck, 6.5mm's have been used succesfully for hunting for over 100 years. Not sure why people have issues with it now.

I'd also recommend checking out the 127gr LRX instead of the Hornady and consider going with a shorter barrel and slightly faster twist. I went from a 24" 8 twist Proof to a 22" 7.5 twist Proof and had much better results.

I don't find anything wrong with a lighter rifle. Given how hunting is in the state, and unless you're a road hunter or hunting on private property, you should expect to walk quite a ways away from the road to find anything decent or anything at all. Therefore, I find a lighter/ shorter/ or handier rifle more convenient. If you feel the need to lug a heavy "tactical" rifle up 7-10k feet for several miles, you do you but I find it gets old quick. Doesn't make a lick of difference shooting off a tripod, bag, log or whatever.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Consider the barnes 127 LRX, and the nosler accubond long range.
also -
consider a 20" proof carbon barrel for more maneuverability or if you're ever going to run a suppressor. A 20" 6.5 Creedmoor still kicks ass. Pierce titanium action, Vortex AMG, Triggertech trigger, manners stock, Manners MCS chassis, flush cups on left side of rifle, adjustable cheek.

Sounds like you're on the right track for sure though!

Team POI = Great news...I was leaning towards CE. I have a Timney in my RPR and really like it. If the CE is better, it will make my day.

OLD308 - I hear you on the SD. The downside of using solid copper is they always use bullets on the lighter end of the spectrum to get the velocity up to aid expansion..the downside is lighter bullet looses SD. I hate that California has gone this direction. Maybe I'll just use a bigger caliber rifle for Cali and dedicate this gun as a " out of state" gun.

As for the weight, I was expecting 9-10.5 lbs....hoping to hit 10 even. The front rail would be short, only for Atlas bipod attachment. Even the Tripod rail would be very short. I'm guessing 4 oz for both with screws. The tripod would also be great for my wife. She has been wanting to blind hunt for whitetail and pigs. using the tripod would take the weight out of her hands and make gun manipulation easy for her.

Since I bow hunt, pistol and muzzleloader I undertand your view on getting close. Be a hunter...not a shooter. My idea changed when hunting with my dad this year. Dad is 91 and was drawn for Antelope this year. Since he had a cataract in his right eye and a pacemaker in his left chest we had to adjust our technique to fit his abilities. Setting up my RPR to shot off a tripod we worked out a good system for him. He ended up taking a goat at 671 yards! 1 shot and done. We just couldn't close the distance on this guy, he kept a 500-600 yd buffer at all times. My RPR with a Nightforce ATACR worked excellent! I bought that gun just to practice and learn to be a better shooter, wanting to transition that to the field. I don't look for long shots, however I do want to be accomplished enough to take a longer shot if the situation lends itself to it. I enjoyed hunting with my dad so much I decided that I would build a gun to reach out a tad further than I typically do.

Again, thank you so much for you thoughts and ideas!
Good to hear!! You will love the CE!

Have you looked into the RAZOR AMG? I just did a very similar build and I'm sub 9lbs.

Eh1 with lightweight cheek riser
Mack Bros evo Ti action
22" 6 CM Proof reseach
TT Diamond
Near alpha mount
Razor AMG