• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Crow hunting?

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
Why do it? Because it's fun as hell! No i don't eat them.

Now that that's out of the way, anyone else been calling these things? I've got some decoys ready for the up coming season. i usually either shoot them with a semi-auto 12ga or try to get them to land in a tree and shoot them with a suppressed .22 bolt gun(with subs). It's super fun picking them out of the tree with the .22 and is good practice.

My friend and i were discussing techniques the other day and he told me a story of a guy who set up a unique crow/owl fight. He hoisted both decoys into a tree only the owl decoy had treble hooks attached around it. He said a couple crows came in and got stuck to the owl. They were screaming and flapping drawing in more crows, which he would dispatch with a 12ga.

Please share your stories, techniques, and pics/videos please. Have a safe hunting season gents.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRHKxyErgZw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRHKxyErgZw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Crow hunting?

Phuking flying rats, good on ya.....never thought about the treble hooks idea. That's positively diabolical and I love it.

Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I'll rig one up and see how that works.

Cheers,
Breeze

I dont do it as much as I would like to. It's my Daughters favorite type of hunting cuz she doesnt have to clean them haha. I have access to a pistachio farm that has a major crow problem

www.crowbusters.com

I once inquired into crow hunting in Alaska. I asked a state trooper, how do I recognize the difference between a crow and a raven, which is protected. He said, "I shoot and if it falls, it's a crow. If it keeps flying? It's a raven." True story

Looks fun, the crows around here are too damn smart to get anywhere near with a shotgun. And if you stop a vehicle within a mile of em they are gone. I have managed to nail a couple over the years, but its usually ones who didn't know I was there and landed too close. I did shoot a couple that I went into enemy territory
laugh.gif
, and nailed them suppressed with SS .308. Always a good time.

My cousin took me crow hunting for the first time at his ranch a few weeks and it was a blast! We would just walk through the brush until we found an opening in the trees and my cousin would call while I shot. We got about 10 or so in 30 minutes. I will definitely be doing it more often.

I agree with coldbore, those bastards are smart. When I was a kid a local guy with a pecan orchard offered me a dollar for every crow I killed, I didn't make much money. I eat crow enough without shooting them :p

I haven't gone crow hunting in a long time, but the last time I went out, I set up a table with an owl on it, and used an owl call to get the crows to come in. The key is to get a crow or two right off the get go, this keeps the crows coming in for more. I was set up underneath a cabin a porch, and when the crows came into attack the owl, I let them have it.. I would just add the dead crows ontop of table by the owl..

Fun times, fun times..

Their fun to shoot with a 22-250, makes a fun mess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most people don't know how hard they really are to kill. You guys are knocking some of them down from way up there. What size choke and shot are you using? </div></div>

I use a modified choke with federal high velocity(1550) pheasant loads #6. Puts them down good.

I called crow for about a half hour last Friday:
11-16-1231_zpsf2f6b2fa.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once inquired into crow hunting in Alaska. I asked a state trooper, how do I recognize the difference between a crow and a raven, which is protected. He said, "I shoot and if it falls, it's a crow. If it keeps flying? It's a raven." True story </div></div>

funny shit

Looks like fun! I hit the peanut fields each year after harvest. It's always a Crow slaughter for as long as you want to shoot. Great times! lol.

First of all, we like to refer to them as "garbage chickens". Here a turkey call works wonders as does the Fox pro "crow party" call. Man that gets them worked up. Lateley, I prefer to put out fish parts at 300 yards and make a day of it. The 300wsm tends to scatter the evidence so the next garbage chicken does not see his buddy laying there! And hell yes they are smart. You cannot conceal yourself enough from them. Got a triple this year-hours of waiting for them to line up just right!!!

I usually place a Owl decoy on a fence post and place 3 crow decoys either on the other fence post and on the ground. and i sit in my gillie suit and wait for them to come in. i have my 22-250 with a bipod sitting next to me just in case they land and i have my shotgun in my hands. i would just wait to see what they do and go from there. you usally run out of bullets before they stop coming in. HAHAHA i love it when you sit there with a good buddy or your dad and drink beer while you do it.